Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 08:47 AM

Default Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Where my brain goes after a few (?) beer on a Friday night scares me sometimes

This is called, “The Paradox of Pushing”

“Too much force will backfire. Constant interventions and instigations will not make a good group. They will spoil a group. The best group process is delicate. It cannot be pushed around. It cannot be argued over or won in a fight. The leader who tries to control the group through force does not understand group process. Force will cost you the support of the members. Leaders who push think that they are facilitating process, when in fact they are blocking process. They think that they are building a good group field, when in fact they are destroying its coherence and creating factions. They think that their constant interventions are a measure of ability, when in fact such interventions are crude and inappropriate. They think that their leadership position gives them absolute authority, when in fact their behavior diminishes respect. The wise leader stays centered and grounded and uses the least force required to act effectively. The leader avoids egocentricity and emphasizes being rather than doing.”

― John Heider, The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age

This is a quote by Lao Tzu who was a Chinese Philosopher born in 571BC. Weird eh?
Again I agree with Dave. Its like dealing with children, lead by example not
with punishment.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Again I agree with Dave. Its like dealing with children, lead by example not
with punishment.
Dave is very good member ,always has been and always will be will be with a ton of integrity and respect for all. And I would bet my last buck no different in person any place at any time he would be a very decent person to chirp with face to face.

CHHERS
JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-10-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Just leave people and threads be. I’m not sure why we get in knots over this stuff. If you don’t like what’s in a thread move on. This censorship of thought and opinion, in general, is a bit much anymore.
That cannot be done. What is posted here reflects on the owner of the board. If left alone things would get stupid real fast. The owner of the boards main income stream is the magazine and it's advertising. If racism, attacking other groups etc. gets out of hand sponsors will leave. The board is not a separate entity.

Now if someone wanted to start an Alberta general conversation board and let it buck, I'm guessing that might do well but advertisers might be hard to come by.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-10-2022, 10:02 AM

I think the mods do a great job. When you have a bunch of kids that can't compose themselves, you need a babysitter. Then of course, the kids complain about the babysitter. Go figure...

There should be some arguing allowed, but it gets pushed too far. Again, the kids can't compose themselves.

I don't envy being a mod, dealing with a bunch of Karens. They try to be proactive, and get crapped on for it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2022, 10:04 AM

Seems the word “censorship” is the hot button that touches stuff off.

I’m not gonna act lily white, cuz I’d be a bloody liar, and I’m a lot of things that ain’t good, but liar ain’t one of em. In my time, I closed a lot of threads. BUT, whenever possible, I tried to deal with the people sending the thread sideways.

One mod in this thread said he closes threads pre-emptively because he knows it’s gonna be a dog pile or something to that effect. That’s bologna. There are times where you wake up in the morning and a thread is a train wreck, and it’s beyond repair. Then all you can do is close it, but those are far and few between.

It takes work, but if you close threads because of one or two people being bad actors, or you think that a thread is gonna hit the ditch, then the mod doing it is absolutely playing censor.

Of course, race, politics, or Covid are a different story.

But, even on the politics thread, I had posts disappear that were no way in hell breaking any rule, except someone must have disagreed with the opinion stated. No explanation given. No PM sent explaining. Just poof. That is toxic for a forum.

Bottom line is that unless a post breaks a specific rule, it should not be deleted. And if deleted, as some who moderate on other forums have mentioned, a note can be relayed what the person did wrong. If a thread is closed, some type of a reason should be given, and there should have been some type of attempt to deal with the people sending it off the rails.

If those things aren’t done, then you are indeed censoring by any definition.

I also think that if you guys choose to be a part of the discussion, you should not directly moderate that thread. It just comes across as “off.” Let the other guys do it, and say so to the members if you choose to wade into the fray.

Full disclosure. I begged Twisted Canuck not to become a mod. In large part because he was one of my favourite posters long before I ever became friends with him. In simple terms… he made me laugh my azz off, and I didn’t want the forum to lose that. Round bout the same time, they asked Bessiedog to be a mod too. I begged him for the same reasons. Obviously, at least in this regard, Bessie is smarter than Twisted Canuck . Leo was the same. So much life and outdoors experience to draw from. Gone because they took on this gig.

I say none of this to be an azz or pile on.

I am saying this because it is what I feel, but it is also what more than a few have said to me over the last while, but they are reluctant to express it because they feel they will be blackballed. That in and of itself is not at all good, and so my words are in large part written on behalf of others.

Bottom line… it ain’t a fun job you guys signed up for. Sometimes it takes a while to realize it. And if you realize that it grates you, there is no shame in stepping down. Pretty sure all of you would be more appreciated as posters.

We have lost a good guy from the forum in Leo over this. I for one am glad he stepped down. His health issues that he publicly shared were more than enough. No one needs a heart attack over this place.

I did so much wrong as a mod, and was grateful to have Pixel to guide me along. I quit the first time over frustration of other guys not pulling their weight. I was asked back, after a break, and accepted. Stepped down again cuz my son told me I spent more time dealing with strangers on a forum than him. It was not at all out of frustration. Pixel, Three for Three, leo and myself were cruising along pretty good I thought, but the forum was still declining in terms of posters.

I hope you guys figure out a happy medium, and for your sakes, I hope the owner comes your way and figures out WTH he wants this forum to be, and clearly conveys it to you guys because this place is on it’s last legs if you compare it to what it was a decade ago. It really is. And it goes without saying that was equally true when I was a mod, so if mods bear responsibility, lump me in.

I wish you mods all the best, and I thank you for your time because time is the most valuable thing we have, and ALL of you mods signed up because you want to make this a good place, not tear it down.

There is always room for improvement, though hearing it from a frustrated constituency is never easy, but it is necessary. This thread was started out with a mod saying we are guests in your house. That is not at all true. Moderators are nothing but members who are reffing the game, some are better than others, but they come and go. Someone said stick your finger in a glass of water and pull it out cuz that’s how indispensable you are. It’s 100% true. I was imminently replaceable and so are all of you. The moment you think you are not, you have become a shtty mod, and will likely do more damage than good.

I hope you guys realize that we all want the same thing, a place where we can all come and talk about mutual areas of interest, as well as other stuff happening in our world.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

I’m not gonna act lily white, cuz I’d be a bloody liar, and I’m a lot of things that ain’t good, but liar ain’t one of em. In my time, I closed a lot of threads. BUT, whenever possible, I tried to deal with the people sending the thread sideways.

One mod in this thread said he closes threads pre-emptively because he knows it’s gonna be a dog pile or something to that effect. That’s bologna. There are times where you wake up in the morning and a thread is a train wreck, and it’s beyond repair. Then all you can do is close it, but those are far and few between.

It takes work, but if you close threads because of one or two people being bad actors, or you think that a thread is gonna hit the ditch, then the mod doing it is absolutely playing censor.

But, even on the politics thread, I had posts disappear that were no way in hell breaking any rule, except someone must have disagreed with the opinion stated. No explanation given. No PM sent explaining. Just poof. That is toxic for a forum.

Bottom line is that unless a post breaks a specific rule, it should not be deleted. And if deleted, as some who moderate on other forums have mentioned, a note can be relayed what the person did wrong. If a thread is closed, some type of a reason should be given, and there should have been some type of attempt to deal with the people sending it off the rails.

I also think that if you guys choose to be a part of the discussion, you should not directly moderate that thread. It just comes across as “off.” Let the other guys do it, and say so to the members if you choose to wade into the fray.

Full disclosure. I begged Twisted Canuck not to become a mod. In large part because he was one of my favourite posters long before I ever became friends with him. In simple terms… he made me laugh my azz off, and I didn’t want the forum to lose that. Round bout the same time, they asked Bessiedog to be a mod too. I begged him for the same reasons. Obviously, at least in this regard, Bessie is smarter than Twisted Canuck . Leo was the same. So much life and outdoors experience to draw from. Gone because they took on this gig.

I am saying this because it is what I feel, but it is also what more than a few have said to me over the last while, but they are reluctant to express it because they feel they will be blackballed. That in and of itself is not at all good, and so my words are in large part written on behalf of others.

Bottom line… it ain’t a fun job you guys signed up for. Sometimes it takes a while to realize it. And if you realize that it grates you, there is no shame in stepping down. Pretty sure all of you would be more appreciated as posters.

We have lost a good guy from the forum in Leo over this. I for one am glad he stepped down. His health issues that he publicly shared were more than enough. No one needs a heart attack over this place.

I did so much wrong as a mod, and was grateful to have Pixel to guide me along. I quit the first time over frustration of other guys not pulling their weight. I was asked back, after a break, and accepted. Stepped down again cuz my son told me I spent more time dealing with strangers on a forum than him. It was not at all out of frustration. Pixel, Three for Three, leo and myself were cruising along pretty good I thought, but the forum was still declining in terms of posters.

I hope you guys figure out a happy medium, and for your sakes, I hope the owner comes your way and figures out WTH he wants this forum to be, and clearly conveys it to you guys because this place is on it’s last legs if you compare it to what it was a decade ago. It really is. And it goes without saying that was equally true when I was a mod, so if mods bear responsibility, lump me in.

I wish you mods all the best, and I thank you for your time because time is the most valuable thing we have, and ALL of you mods signed up because you want to make this a good place, not tear it down.

There is always room for improvement, though hearing it from a frustrated constituency is never easy, but it is necessary. This thread was started out with a mod saying we are guests in your house. That is not at all true. Moderators are nothing but members who are reffing the game, some are better than others, but they come and go. Someone said stick your finger in a glass of water and pull it out cuz that’s how indispensable you are. It’s 100% true. I was imminently replaceable and so are all of you. The moment you think you are not, you have become a shtty mod, and will likely do more damage than good.

I hope you guys realize that we all want the same thing, a place where we can all come and talk about mutual areas of interest, as well as other stuff happening in our world.
Very well articulated, and I agree...
Old 09-10-2022, 10:31 AM
Banned

With all that has been said here, it is quite evident that --
- - all is not well in the state of Denmark.. I have been called out by the
"Mod Squad" for good or bad...that was their call...Had also been called names by them, in a PM to me..which was deleted by them cuz it was liable..
It is what it is and my life will go on... My enjoyment of AO will never be the same, as is happening with many other...
Old 09-10-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's fair. I admit I got pretty testy and reacted badly. For what it's worth, I apologize for my posts that were certainly harsh and not appropriate for me to make. I won't delete them, everyone can see them for what they are. I'm not the most patient person, and some folks can certainly rub me the wrong way. I will endeavor to be more diplomatic in the future.

For what it's worth, I do care what happens on the forum, and want it to be a place where we can have a civil discussion. That's all.

TC
RESPECT!
We’re all human we all make mistakes, owning them and saying so makes us a better person. We all have emotions, beliefs, and ideals to name a few. Politics, COVID, hockey, etc bring drives us.
The key is to understand and respect another’s point of view to recognize their views and respect that. Respecting them does not mean you agree with them. It’s ok to agree to disagree. Getting personal name calling derogatory remarks are not acceptable and should be dealt with immediately.
Mods have to decide where the fine line is in a post. They also have to set their own beliefs, opinions etc aside which has to be a hard thing to do.
We can all do better if we take the time to RESPECT and understand each other. If we can’t do this this forum is doomed.

BW
Old 09-10-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Dave is very good member ,always has been and always will be will be with a ton of integrity and respect for all. And I would bet my last buck no different in person any place at any time he would be a very decent person to chirp with face to face.

CHHERS
JD
I think he should be a moderator, with all the wisdom and grace he has. I've passed the suggestion on to admin, and expect that he will agree to do the job if asked.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I think he should be a moderator, with all the wisdom and grace he has. I've passed the suggestion on to admin, and expect that he will agree to do the job if asked.
I don't have a clue what Dave wants to do ,but with your wisdom it should be all good.

CHEERS
JD
Old 09-10-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
With all that has been said here, it is quite evident that --
- - all is not well in the state of Denmark.. I have been called out by the
"Mod Squad" for good or bad...that was their call...Had also been called names by them, in a PM to me..which was deleted by them cuz it was liable..
It is what it is and my life will go on... My enjoyment of AO will never be the same, as is happening with many other...
I still have all our communications in my inbox, I can forward them all to you again if you like, and I give you permission to post them all publicly as well.

Mods have no tools to look at Private Messages, or tamper with them, or delete them.

Let me know if you want those PMs, or I can post them if you'd like.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-10-2022, 12:06 PM
Banned

No, TC, it was not any of the messaging between you and myself but rather what, the recently departed, (no names mentioned), mod had left left in my box... so to say that, it was myself who removed it, would have served me no purpose....case closed...
Old 09-10-2022, 01:12 PM

I’m just sitting in the background watching and reading…I’ve enjoyed all the info that I get from this forum. Everytime I don’t know what or how to do most anything..someone from here steers me in the right direction, I also enjoy the pictures in the fishing, hunting sections…I enjoy just reading what others are posting, mostly. So as for me, if a thread is not worth my time reading. I just glance over it and move on..I see no reason to stir a pot that already has enough spoons going around and around.
Thank you to the Mods, and also thank you to most of the members, I say most as that just seemed like the right thing to say!
I’m planning on sticking around here for as long as I can..I’ve just been helped by so many of you in the past…I Thank all those who have been one of those!
“KEEP SMILING”
“Just Be Kind”
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-10-2022, 01:21 PM

Sometimes things are written down and they are not correct as I did on this thread. Twisted Canuck I owe you an apology. I truly mean it. You have always been more then decent to me .

Cheers and take care.
JD
Old 09-10-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Very good post!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:

I recall once that I went fishing and came back to look up my last post and it wasn’t there. No messages. I figured it must not of been sent so I posted a similar post and got a message to cut it out. However the confusion was my post didn’t seem to be in the wrong and I didn’t know my previous post was deleted.

At the same time… I can only imagine how long it takes someone to read all the posts in all the threads and change or remove some… especially when a thread is on fire.

Curious if a mod can give us an idea on time spend during a busy day.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-10-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I recall once that I went fishing and came back to look up my last post and it wasn’t there. No messages. I figured it must not of been sent so I posted a similar post and got a message to cut it out. However the confusion was my post didn’t seem to be in the wrong and I didn’t know my previous post was deleted.

At the same time… I can only imagine how long it takes someone to read all the posts in all the threads and change or remove some… especially when a thread is on fire.

Curious if a mod can give us an idea on time spend during a busy day.
When I first started as. Mod I would be on here 10 to 12 hrs a day. Retired but ya not near that now.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Sometimes things are written down and they are not correct as I did on this thread. Twisted Canuck I owe you an apology. I truly mean it. You have always been more then decent to me .

Cheers and take care.
JD
No apology necessary, you didn't say or do anything to step on my toes, and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for you. TC

Old 09-10-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
When I first started as. Mod I would be on here 10 to 12 hrs a day. Retired but ya not near that now.
That is a crazy amount of time.

Hypothetically… had the Covid thread for instance… been allowed to free flow without mod efforts to reign in anything…

Given only those that open the thread need read it… who is harmed? Is the fear from her own that anything written can look unfavourably on the ownership?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-10-2022, 08:12 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Hypothetically… had the Covid thread for instance… been allowed to free flow without mod efforts to reign in anything…

Given only those that open the thread need read it… who is harmed? Is the fear from her own that anything written can look unfavourably on the ownership?
The amount of time just the reports that thread generated was insane so no, a free for all is not the answer. The real answer is for adults to act respectfully and responsibly when dealing with other adults of varying opinion, and then modding would be a piece of cake, but we all know that is asking too much. When people actually enjoy creating drama, you will have drama, and sorry to say but we have far to many drama queens who feel like they have a right to rule the roost.

Queue the hate mail… Just like us mods need a reality check, the same holds true for some members.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-10-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Everything that is on the forum can be found or will come up on a google search. Stupid posts make outdoorsmen look stupid. Plain and simple and it’s all out there for the world to see.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Everything that is on the forum can be found or will come up on a google search. Stupid posts make outdoorsmen look stupid. Plain and simple and it’s all out there for the world to see.
However most threads contain a mix of opinions and everyone knows open forums are not necessarily the opinions of the owners.

Sometimes introducing bias can make something look different than otherwise intended however one looks at it you will get some perspectives from either side of a bell curve.

So far I haven’t seen any thread that suggests all outdoors users are stupid. One could argue maybe a few individuals come off a tad one way or another. That said… the tempering of thought and responses doesn’t give people a chance to change.

Some will scream… people will never change. However in the absence of any dialog that in contrary to one’s beliefs, you will likely never even have a chance to hear something different.

Sometimes change isn’t black and white but a subtle shade of grey.

For instance. My interest in knowing how my Covid recovery would go was shut down. With no real problems in the thread I wasn’t able to ask anyone what worked best for sinus congestion… which for me is the most annoying.

I have used AOF to mine shared knowledge for fixing stuff. Opinions on stuff and provided opinions back on stuff I know.

People can take it all for what it’s worth.

I tried to see where AOF ranks on Covid Google search. Couldn’t find it.

If someone comes across stupid on AOF… I seriously doubt there are people looking to use that info in the news. Outdoors people have zero lobbying power in Alberta. As a demographic… no one cares but us and as far as self policing goes… no one wraps stuff in a soft blanket usually when someone is that far off base.

Plus… unless you hunt or fish… likely others don’t have a clue what’s right or wrong, stupid or smart.

I’ve read a lot of threads here… and we are seriously fooling ourselves if we think we are that special that we need to protect our brand on the internet. In the vastness of the internet… AOF is a small, obscure speck whose true value lies in those who post the most and those who come to read the posts.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Perhaps they are asking a question to see perspective, engage in conversation and see what others have done etc.
These questions sometimes also spark up other conversations that make new threads as to not derail.
Don’t get me wrong google is great but lacks feedback and conversation.
When a question is asked that google could answer I sometimes attach links and then give my personal thoughts, experiences and then a conversation come to light.
A good thing I say.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-11-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:

If this is true, then why allow anymore threads to be opened or continued?
Old 09-11-2022, 11:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
If this is true, then why allow anymore threads to be opened or continued?
As a financial sponsor besides being a mod, I can say with 100% truth I have had multiple instances of people coming in and saying they came across the forum while going down the internet rabbit hole and asked me how I can justify supporting a forum full of "blah, blah, blah" and so on...

Fortunately I am someone who can intelligently bridge some gaps between what people perceive versus what reality is, but not all are like that and I have to admit that even me I considered discontinuing sponsorship at one point because of it.

Members here have to understand that right or wrong, these types of things mean us sponsors do have to consider the impacts of what is said and how it is perceived as we are not only responsible for ourselves and the business that is AO, but also for all the employees who work for us along with their spouses, children, and so on. The loss of even 10 solid sales means a month I might not be able to pay an employees wage cost in the slow season and that may just be the tipping point where the inevitable discussions of having to lay someone off start.

Many may not give a fine feathered hoot about what this means since it has zero effect on them, but in this online world we all live in, we can just as easily have our reputation destroyed by online bull poop a lot faster than it took us to build it up in the first place.

I am not saying this because I think it is everyone else's responsibility to look out for me, but more just to demonstrate how as both a mod and sponsor I have to personally consider all aspects.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-11-2022, 12:21 PM

Just remember Mods….

“It’s hard to be a good Shepard when half your flocks mentally challenged”….

Don’t over think it. Keep doing for the most part what you’re doing with maybe a slight correction here or there.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:22 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Just remember Mods….

Don’t over think it. Keep doing for the most part what you’re doing with maybe a slight correction here or there.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 09-11-2022, 12:29 PM

A hungry shepherd will eat a sheep without any regret. Just sayin.

Edit: one of the other mods, who understands my twisted humor, said I shouldn't post that ^ because it would just inflame the mob further. So, trigger warning, but that was said in jest.

I can't please anybody.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
A hungry shepherd will eat a sheep without any regret. Just sayin.

Edit: one of the other mods, who understands my twisted humor, said I shouldn't post that ^ because it would just inflame the mob further. So, trigger warning, but that was said in jest.

I can't please anybody.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 09-11-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Just remember Mods….

Now I'm offended!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Closed Thread