Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Looking great as usual! Way to go bud!!
Thanks mang!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
I bet those turn out great SB!!!

I have steaks to go on the grill within the hour but no smokin!!!!

Next weekend I have my work cut out as I have a 21 pound brisket I bought in Nov and had to freeze. We have friends coming over this upcoming saturday so I will start the thaw out thursday and put on around midnight friday night.

The kicker is it is calling for -30 here in Calgary ................. freeze me %$$@#$%% off!!!! Oh well.
Dang you're gonna have to put the smoker in the kitchen

I have to set mine at least 25° higher when it's cold out like today.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:10 AM

Smoking friday and saturday!!!!
So here it is fellas. It is colder than a witches @#$. I must be nuts. However, The brisket is going on friday around 6-7pm for a get together at my place saturday with friends. I have a traeger ironwood that has the insulated sides and they do not make a winter cover for this model as it has the downdraft system in the back. Going to put a welding jacket over the top.
Now I know I am going to burn more pellets but that is not an issue. I also know wind is a culprit in smoking in the cold. Back deck has the smoker where I have closed in curtains zipped on the gazebo. Will help with wind as well as the downdraft system on the unit. Instead of spritzing often I will leave a stainless bowl of water inside the unit as I have for overnight smokes.
How cold have you used your smoker? I am allowing for time . What you say? i am just hoping it ignites . Coldest I have used is around -15 - 20.
I could always move it into garage and keep door open a few feet but don't want that over night with the scumbags of the earth roaming.
thoughts?
Old 01-11-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Smoking friday and saturday!!!!
So here it is fellas. It is colder than a witches @#$. I must be nuts. However, The brisket is going on friday around 6-7pm for a get together at my place saturday with friends. I have a traeger ironwood that has the insulated sides and they do not make a winter cover for this model as it has the downdraft system in the back. Going to put a welding jacket over the top.
Now I know I am going to burn more pellets but that is not an issue. I also know wind is a culprit in smoking in the cold. Back deck has the smoker where I have closed in curtains zipped on the gazebo. Will help with wind as well as the downdraft system on the unit. Instead of spritzing often I will leave a stainless bowl of water inside the unit as I have for overnight smokes.
How cold have you used your smoker? I am allowing for time . What you say? i am just hoping it ignites . Coldest I have used is around -15 - 20.
I could always move it into garage and keep door open a few feet but don't want that over night with the scumbags of the earth roaming.
thoughts?
At -30 the controller on mine won't work, same with my BIL's Traeger. I've used it right up to the point where i can't and honestly there's not much smoke at those temps and yes you burn a lot more pellets but where's the fun in putting it in an oven right? As long as it starts i say giver. I've used a welding blanket before and it did help for sure.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
At -30 the controller on mine won't work, same with my BIL's Traeger. I've used it right up to the point where i can't and honestly there's not much smoke at those temps and yes you burn a lot more pellets but where's the fun in putting it in an oven right? As long as it starts i say giver. I've used a welding blanket before and it did help for sure.
Yeah the igniting is the question mark right now. It has worked in -20 but a slow start up with the cold weather prompt. One way to find out I hope.
Could probably wrap some heavy blankets around the control unit and put a space heater under to try warming that area? I bet when it ignites it should be fine.
Thanks for reply .
Old 01-11-2024, 01:17 PM

Mine struggles to hold heat

Old 01-11-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Mine struggles to hold heat

Yeah I think they all will struggle more as temps plummet. I may try igniting today when home from work just to see.
It holds heat well but starting up is the question right now.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think they all will struggle more as temps plummet. I may try igniting today when home from work just to see.

It holds heat well but starting up is the question right now.
Not a bad idea!

Old 01-11-2024, 06:57 PM

Success!!!!
Came home and shopvaced the burn pot out and ash although all was quite clean but wanted to give every advantage I could. It was -31 here at the time.
Powered on fine but screen was very low in color but I could see enough to set to 300 d and hit ignite.
It was slow as in 10-12 min but I went and shoveled driveway and came back and saw the smoke . Checked my phone app ( which is great on this rig) and it was climbing from 17 d to 56 in a few minutes.
I put it in shut down mode of the phone and let it cool down........... did not take much and put cover on.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow! I bet it rolls the coal!!!!!!
Brisket and beers saturday in the - 40 works for me!
Impressed with that traeger ironwood and did buy an upgraded one for that reason but this is great.
Will throw the welding coat over the top this time tomorrow for the cook.
Cheers !!!!!!
Old 01-11-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Success!!!!

Came home and shopvaced the burn pot out and ash although all was quite clean but wanted to give every advantage I could. It was -31 here at the time.

Powered on fine but screen was very low in color but I could see enough to set to 300 d and hit ignite.

It was slow as in 10-12 min but I went and shoveled driveway and came back and saw the smoke . Checked my phone app ( which is great on this rig) and it was climbing from 17 d to 56 in a few minutes.

I put it in shut down mode of the phone and let it cool down........... did not take much and put cover on.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow! I bet it rolls the coal!!!!!!

Brisket and beers saturday in the - 40 works for me!

Impressed with that traeger ironwood and did buy an upgraded one for that reason but this is great.

Will throw the welding coat over the top this time tomorrow for the cook.

Cheers !!!!!!
Ah man that's good to hear. What time's dinner??

Old 01-12-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Ah man that's good to hear. What time's dinner??

Haha!!! Better not say much yet as it is -36 here the AM. Should be -30 or so around 4 so fill fire up around 5 ( again hopefully ) and let it ride!!!!
Smoke on!!!!
Old 01-16-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Haha!!! Better not say much yet as it is -36 here the AM. Should be -30 or so around 4 so fill fire up around 5 ( again hopefully ) and let it ride!!!!

Smoke on!!!!
How did you make out? I didn't want to ask over the weekend and jinx you lol

Old 01-16-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
How did you make out? I didn't want to ask over the weekend and jinx you lol

Had smoker on around 5 and brisket on at 6. I was actually done way earlier than I thought and had it resting in the cooler with towels at 9:30 AM.
We did not eat until 6-7 pm so I was worried as I never had it resting so long.
I injected some beef broth in in after I rested a few hours. Internal temp was dropping so I wrapped in tinfoil and put in over at 150 for an hour.
I found I dries it too much but the crew ate with smiles on!!!
Live and learn. Was allowing myself extra time with the weather but in reality it was right on regular cook time.
Oh well!
Old 01-16-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Had smoker on around 5 and brisket on at 6. I was actually done way earlier than I thought and had it resting in the cooler with towels at 9:30 AM.

We did not eat until 6-7 pm so I was worried as I never had it resting so long.

I injected some beef broth in in after I rested a few hours. Internal temp was dropping so I wrapped in tinfoil and put in over at 150 for an hour.

I found I dries it too much but the crew ate with smiles on!!!

Live and learn. Was allowing myself extra time with the weather but in reality it was right on regular cook time.

Oh well!
Better safe than sorry. Glad it worked out. Ya my cooking times are all over the place on a good day lol.

I remember one cold day I smoked ribs. Well when it was supper time, they weren't cooked. I had to toss them in the oven. I don't mind eating late. But the boss... she gets pretty hangry.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:30 PM

At least I now know the smoker will ignite and hold temps in the -30 range. Doubt I will venture into those temps often but plans were made and I am a stubborn &&^%$$#.
I hear ya on the wife...... We had about 60 people in back yard for her 50th in August. I said I will take care of all yard set up, kegs of beer and of coarse the smoker.
Put 3 big 13 pound pork butts on at 4 AM and still not done around 5!!!! What I messed up that time was the 40 plus pounds of pork vs the regular one I do for us and company. Oh well, she still hit the 50!!!!! Hairy eyeball for a good while !
No one starved !
Old 01-16-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
At least I now know the smoker will ignite and hold temps in the -30 range. Doubt I will venture into those temps often but plans were made and I am a stubborn &&^%$$#.

I hear ya on the wife...... We had about 60 people in back yard for her 50th in August. I said I will take care of all yard set up, kegs of beer and of coarse the smoker.

Put 3 big 13 pound pork butts on at 4 AM and still not done around 5!!!! What I messed up that time was the 40 plus pounds of pork vs the regular one I do for us and company. Oh well, she still hit the 50!!!!! Hairy eyeball for a good while !

No one starved !
I think you were just lucky there were so many witnesses around

Old 01-17-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I think you were just lucky there were so many witnesses around

Very possible !!!!! Italian inlaws......... way to many graves to dig!!!!!
Old 01-28-2024, 10:13 AM

To quote the great poet and philosopher, Sir-Mix-Alot, "I like big butts, and I cannot lie".

Old 01-28-2024, 02:32 PM

No one else cooking today?

Old 01-28-2024, 02:40 PM

Kirkland medium cheddar, Sobey's house brand gouda and jalapeño jack on the smoker now. Grabbed some Traeger Apple pellets to try out on this batch. Last batch was with the Traeger Competition blend.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
Kirkland medium cheddar, Sobey's house brand gouda and jalapeño jack on the smoker now. Grabbed some Traeger Apple pellets to try out on this batch. Last batch was with the Traeger Competition blend.
Ah man I love smoked cheese. Do you use a smoke tube?

Old 01-28-2024, 03:24 PM

Yes, a 12" from Amazon, hexed shape.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:32 PM

Our Compliments Gouda and Jalepeno Jack on the first tray, Kirkland medium Cheddar on the second tray
Old 01-28-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
Our Compliments Gouda and Jalepeno Jack on the first tray, Kirkland medium Cheddar on the second tray
Dang that looks good. I'd like to give that jalapeño jack a try.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:05 PM

We've used the Armstrong jack cheese. It wasn't as good as we thought it might be. Hoping this stuff is good.
You can tell, even in the pictures, how well the smoke hit this batch. I don't know if I'll be able to make it the two weeks before I crack in to it.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:14 PM

Default Smoking recipes

We should have a thread talking all about our smoker recipes
I just started smoking about 3 days ago
Old 01-28-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
I've only done the cold smoking now, and this is only my 3rd attempt. That being said, the wife is loving it and she doesn't normally like smoked foods.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
There already is!!! It is pinned towards the top. Lots of good info there.
Enjoy the smoking!!!!!
Old 06-29-2024, 01:29 PM

Default Candied side pork

A day early but whatever

Had some side pork out, kept meaning to cook it but life got in the way. Yesterday I figured I’d better do something to keep it good, so I did a 50/50 Himalayan pink salt and brown sugar dry brine, and a sprinkle of black pepper. Shook it up a few times. Left it overnight. Put it on the grill with hickory wood, basted with maple syrup every 15 min or so. Came out unreal good. You’d think “bacon” but the taste and texture was almost nothing like it, way more like BBQ.

Wife looks at me and says OMG I’m pregnant again Call that a win. (She’s not, thankfully)

No idea on measurements. This was 100% by “looks about right”

Excuse the plating, best I could do with two hangry kids and a fast disappearing dish.