Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2021, 12:07 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I think you can say that about any rifle that is yours, a rifle you know, vs camp rifle. Doesn’t have to be custom to be a great rifle that you can have the same amount of confidence in.

Edit: On a side note, you can’t bring your firearms to Mexico, Mark?
I agree.

Furthermore, I wonder if confidence without skill may lead to wounding more game.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-18-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I agree.

Furthermore, I wonder if confidence without skill may lead to wounding more game.
What leads to wounding game is using foolish bullets. Now quit derailing my thread. This is about custom rifles not false piety.

Last edited by sns2; 12-18-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:07 AM

If I had the money to throw at it I’d like a custom 338 Federal. I’d have it based on a Browning A-bolt II mountain titanium short action with the removable magazine that attaches to the drop floor plate like all A-bolt II’s. It would have a quality 20” stainless barrel in a light profile. I’d have the original trigger replaced with a Jard trigger group. All the metal would be Cerekoted tungsten carbon grey. It would all then be dropped in a McMillan lightweight fibreglass stock in the 50% black, 25% medium grey, 25% olive marble pattern. I’d top it off with some Talleys and a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42 illuminated duplex reticle. Both the mounts and scope would be Cerekoted to match the metal of the action and barrel.

To me that would be a timber hunting wet dream for everything anywhere I’m going to go.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:25 AM

sns2, working on another one.

Model Seven, right hand.
KS Arms barrel, 6.5 Creedmoor, #2 contour, cut to 16", concave target crown
Wildcat ultralight or McMillan Edge. The Wildcat is lighter but I like the feel of the Edge more than the Wildcat.

I had been considering using a model Seven for the reduced size and weight but starting to lean towards the 700 Short for the convenience of detachable magazines. There are mag assemblies for the Seven but they suck. Might even go blind mag, ADL style if I stick with the Seven.

Swarovski, Z3, 3-10 BRH in one-piece Talley mounts.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
sns2, working on another one.

Model Seven, right hand.

KS Arms barrel, 6.5 Creedmoor, #2 contour, cut to 16", concave target crown

Wildcat ultralight or McMillan Edge. The Wildcat is lighter but I like the feel of the Edge more than the Wildcat.

I had been considering using a model Seven for the reduced size and weight but starting to lean towards the 700 Short for the convenience of detachable magazines. There are mag assemblies for the Seven but they suck. Might even go blind mag, ADL style if I stick with the Seven.

Swarovski, Z3, 3-10 BRH in one-piece Talley mounts.
Sounds really nice. Go with the 700 action. 16" barrel is very short.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2021, 11:38 AM

Not exactly a total custom build but my dream rifle would be....marlin coybow in 45-70 w a Turnbull case hardening job and a Montana vintage vernier tang sight and a wide brass partridge style front sight.
Not a hunting gun so much as a long range lead flinger lol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Not exactly a total custom build but my dream rifle would be....marlin coybow in 45-70 w a Turnbull hard cast job and a Montana vintage vernier tang sight and a wide brass partridge style front sight.
Not a hunting gun so much as a long range lead flinger lol

Turnbull does *really* nice case color hardening. I had a limited edition S&W Model 17 that he did the frame on, it was beautiful. Unfortunately it was one of the guns that got sold to finance the Alberta Python.

You have good taste.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Turnbull does *really* nice case color hardening. I had a limited edition S&W Model 17 that he did the frame on, it was beautiful. Unfortunately it was one of the guns that got sold to finance the Alberta Python.

You have good taste.
Ha looked over my post and the silly auto correct said hard case....your right I was meaning color case hardening. And yes he does do phenomenal work

Old 12-18-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Ha looked over my post and the silly auto correct said hard case....your right I was meaning color case hardening. And yes he does do phenomenal work

Sent from my SM-G950W using
Tapatalk
I got your # from your brother, sent you pics on Signal. Wish I hadn't sold it now.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2021, 12:04 PM

I had my custom 7mmstw built the year before I retired. I started with a Stiller Predator action, machined for a Wyatt extended magazine box, and a match grade fluted #5 barrel, and Timney trigger were installed. The barreled action was pillar bedded into a McMillan BDL in the McSwirly olive/black/tan color,and PTG bottom metal was added. I topped the rifle off with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 in Talley mounts. This isn't a lightweight rifle, but it balances nice, is accurate, and recoil is very manageable.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:24 PM

Sounds like a beauty rig Elk. That's kind of what my build is about, 55 and retiring. Sometimes you just need to do something for yourself.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I agree.

Explain how you have confidence with no skill?
Old 12-18-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Explain how you have confidence with no skill?
Let’s save us all some pain and just not go there….
Old 12-18-2021, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Let’s save us all some pain and just not go there….
Agreed

I was looking at a short action 338 when I built mine
I checked out the numbers with the federal but the Sherman short mag was better for my needs
There’s a lot of applications where it would work really well
Old 12-18-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Agreed

I was looking at a short action 338 when I built mine
I checked out the numbers with the federal but the Sherman short mag was better for my needs
There’s a lot of applications where it would work really well
Ya, I’d agree the Sherman short mag is pretty interesting. I don’t reload so it’s out of the question but the 338 Federal is getting pretty hard to find factory ammo these days too so unless I decide to take up reloading it’s a bit of a pipe dream also.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Ya, I’d agree the Sherman short mag is pretty interesting. I don’t reload so it’s out of the question but the 338 Federal is getting pretty hard to find factory ammo these days too so unless I decide to take up reloading it’s a bit of a pipe dream also.
Yes. I looked high and low for .338 Fed ammo. I did find it. I managed to get a box of Power Shok 200 gr locally, and got 7 boxes from Elwood Epps (Power Shok and Fusion 200s, 180 Accubonds) and then I scored 6 boxes of 210 gr Partitions from NB! They are on the way now. So I think I have half of all the factory. 338 Federal there is in Canada....

I am really looking forward to my rifle, and seeing how it shoots.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:50 PM

I've always wanted to get a Lee Enfield re-stocked to look like a traditional full stock Hawken, complete with the curved brass butplate, Hawken trigger guard, and end cap.