Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You think they're fine. I think they are a big risk, and way more dangerous than any other breed.

Now on to more important things
Most dog breeds are a big risk if they're not probably raised and looked after. German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Border Collies, Poodles, Dalmatians. The point is an animal will act like an animal. Its up to the owner to ensure it understands whats alright and whats not.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Apparently Montreal has banned any pitbulls owned after Sept. The ones in circulation now will be taken care of by attrition.

I have had extensive experience with dogs, mostly hunting breeds but I did work in animal control for several years.

I've only been bit once that required stitches. The dog that bit was a Chow X husky. Nasty beast it was,

Most times it is the same old story. idiot owner =idiot dog.

And those things in the ears are there so the cattle don't get bugs.

Look at post #31 and explore the site.

Look at post #32.

Look at post#62

Look at post#67.

Now look at post #16

I will now quote #16
Old 08-19-2016, 10:36 PM

Pit bulls are bred to be strong aggressive fighting machines. Doesn't mean they can't be good pets however owners need to be street smart and take them to obedience classes and be cautious around people and other animals.

At the same time they must keep their pit bulls away from all cats just to be safe.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...bull-1.3724674

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-20-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
My rifle could sit on my kitchen table fully loaded and cocked for 1000 years and never of its own accord get up and kill the mailman. The same cannot be said about a dog. Labrador retrievers love retrieving ****. They are joyous and happy when doing so because that is what they were ultimately engineered to do.

Pit bulls were engineered to grab onto things and rip the **** out of them. They are not being bad when they do so. They are just conforming to their nature. And they all have the capability of doing so. Good owners, Bad owners, doesn't matter. They are a dog that is predisposed to cause more damage than the average dog when they bite. A truly happy pitbull, is one that is able to latch onto things and shake them to death.
The same argument could be used against pistols and assault style rifles. They're specificly designed and egineered to kill. Easier just to ban them all than use a common sense approach?

Think big picture guys, there's more than opinion allowed.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I stand by it Hal. A chessie isn't a lab - and generally not a breed for a first time owner. Anyone can train a lab, they are thinkers and likely able to meet you half way. Chessie is a more potent dog.
lol have you ever owned a Chesapeake? Id argue a chessie is almost easier to train for the field as the breeding hasn't diluted the lines. Most are natural hunters and require VERY little formal training. You are incorrect and simply regurgitating wikipedia
Old 08-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
lol have you ever owned a Chesapeake? Id argue a chessie is almost easier to train for the field as the breeding hasn't diluted the lines. Most are natural hunters and require VERY little formal training. You are incorrect and simply regurgitating wikipedia

I'm not talking about training a hunting dog....

Would you recommend them as a family pet for the average first time dog owner?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I'm not talking about training a hunting dog....

Would you recommend them as a family pet for the average first time dog owner?
100% I would and I do daily!
Old 08-20-2016, 12:35 PM

In my opinion a lot of the 'their stubborn and require a firm hand and an experienced handler ' bs comes from lab fans that cant deal with a field dog that hunts independently and doesn't feel the need to look to the handler for help when out looking for a downed bird.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:37 PM

and furthermore, a chessie is much more of a 'thinker' than a lab. labs need direction when doing their job. Chesapeakes head with the mentality, 'ive got this, ill let you know if I need a tip or two'.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Ok, fair enough... I just find that they don't do well as a companion family dog...
Old 08-20-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
The same argument could be used against pistols and assault style rifles. They're specificly designed and egineered to kill. Easier just to ban them all than use a common sense approach?

Think big picture guys, there's more than opinion allowed.
They won't kill of their own accord. A person needs to decide to do so. A pit breed will kill on its own. Despite owner intentions. Your argument is asinine.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 08-21-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
They won't kill of their own accord. A person needs to decide to do so. A pit breed will kill on its own. Despite owner intentions. Your argument is asinine.

I'd argue that both need human interaction to result in a trajedy. I was addressing a point not lobbying for gun control. Settle down.

I'm simply pointing out that more than opinion is allowed and valid. If that's asinine or beyond your ability to grasp that's fine. You're still allowed an opinion.