Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Left of center numbers are on the incline at a faster rate than I ever thought possible (for the most part due to Calgary and Edmonton) in Alberta, but the conservatives will remain in power after the next election. 10 years down the road really concerns me though....swirling to the right...
Ten years from now. Expect big changes in Canada 🇨🇦. Low growth GDP (0.1-0.2%). Large group retirees, huge need for healthcare. I see cracks in Canada framework… Not looking good for the white male tax payer. Meanwhile Asia will be building biggest economies in the world……productivity = bigger GDP = valued currency……
Old 10-13-2022, 10:54 AM

From January 2011:

“I can tell you somebody floated the idea that I would run for the PC leadership but I should clear the air here: I said this was the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. The reason why I ran for the leadership of this party is because I saw we were going to be able to build a new movement and we are rising in the polls. There is no way I would leave this party to join the party that is on its way out. And I do think that PC’s are on their way out. In some ways, it doesn’t really matter who they choose as leader. I think that anyone who chooses to lead that party is going to face a 40-year legacy of a party that now has an extremely tarnish brand.”

“I think that people are going to see that having a Wild Rose opposition party has been very good for Albertans.”

“You will have to talk to some other pundits about that because I am not interested in seeing the PC’s win the next election. I think the problem that we are seeing is with PC process for choosing their new leader. You can show up at the ballot box and buy a membership right at the ballot box and then rip it up as soon as you leave. I think it doesn’t lend itself to the most principled and committed supporters coming out and voting in the leadership contest. It actually opens it up for some sort of manipulation by sort of last-minute instant voters. I think that probably what we saw in the leadership race last time, which resulted in the victory for Mr. Stelmach. So the rules aren’t going to change and under those rules I think there is a real possibility that special interest will stack the ballot holes and you are going to end up with a result that is very hard to predict.”

How ironic 11.5 years later.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Ten years from now. Expect big changes in Canada 🇨🇦. Low growth GDP (0.1-0.2%). Large group retirees, huge need for healthcare. I see cracks in Canada framework… Not looking good for the white male tax payer. Meanwhile Asia will be building biggest economies in the world……productivity = bigger GDP = valued currency……
The IMF is more pessimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLxsaOzI9AA

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-13-2022, 11:21 AM

And what's your point? Are you saying that all other 7 billion people on earth never do things they said they would never do 10 yrs ago? So sad to see that "conservatives" are being infected by the cancel bug. If she does what she says now is what's really important. People evolve and change, you do too, take a few minutes and try to remember things you said or thought, 5, 10 or 50 yrs ago, I bet you'll regret of a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
From January 2011:

“I can tell you somebody floated the idea that I would run for the PC leadership but I should clear the air here: I said this was the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. The reason why I ran for the leadership of this party is because I saw we were going to be able to build a new movement and we are rising in the polls. There is no way I would leave this party to join the party that is on its way out. And I do think that PC’s are on their way out. In some ways, it doesn’t really matter who they choose as leader. I think that anyone who chooses to lead that party is going to face a 40-year legacy of a party that now has an extremely tarnish brand.”

“I think that people are going to see that having a Wild Rose opposition party has been very good for Albertans.”

“You will have to talk to some other pundits about that because I am not interested in seeing the PC’s win the next election. I think the problem that we are seeing is with PC process for choosing their new leader. You can show up at the ballot box and buy a membership right at the ballot box and then rip it up as soon as you leave. I think it doesn’t lend itself to the most principled and committed supporters coming out and voting in the leadership contest. It actually opens it up for some sort of manipulation by sort of last-minute instant voters. I think that probably what we saw in the leadership race last time, which resulted in the victory for Mr. Stelmach. So the rules aren’t going to change and under those rules I think there is a real possibility that special interest will stack the ballot holes and you are going to end up with a result that is very hard to predict.”

How ironic 11.5 years later.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
And what's your point? Are you saying that all other 7 billion people on earth never do things they said they would never do 10 yrs ago? So sad to see that "conservatives" are being infected by the cancel bug. If she does what she says now is what's really important. People evolve and change, you do too, take a few minutes and try to remember things you said or thought, 5, 10 or 50 yrs ago, I bet you'll regret of a few things.
Someone sure seems to have a bee in their bonnet regarding Smith.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Most people careless about vaccination status now. People need to get over it. Everyone.
Yup. When very, very wrong about something and when participating or supporting outrageously prejudice policies and behavior that served no benefit and only introduced massive amounts of harm to individuals for a private, personal medical decision, it's no wonder there is a desire not to dwell on it from those who perpetuated it.

The rest of us who saw through the BS all along have an interest in seeing it never happen again because we weren't complicit in it. The actions of GOV, businesses and individuals during Covid still needs a sober light of day assessment so that we can learn from abject failure of just about every measure taken, especially vaccine coercion and unvaccinated discrimination.

Maybe DS is willing to shine that light, but it's uncomfortable for a lot of people to realize they were actually the unethical and immoral, despite their delusions to the contrary.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:42 AM

Lets steer this away from Covid Ladies and Gentlemen.....
Old 10-13-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Someone sure seems to have a bee in their bonnet regarding Smith.
Would you want to be held accountable for what you said yrs ago? I don't, I changed my mind on a lot of things, I'm who I am, not who I was.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Lets steer this away from Covid Ladies and Gentlemen.....
No kidding. Hindsight is always 20/20
Old 10-13-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
At the end of the day, the whole AHS should be replaced. No more status quo. Rebuild the whole thing from the ground up, make people uncomfortable, Shake the tree, call it how you see it.
Can't argue with that.

Remember when AHS brass were spending $10,000 a month on cell phones? I do. One AHS Manager was spending $10,750 and a Director spent $12,153, that's disgusting!

https://globalnews.ca/news/1829646/a...device-policy/

A total revamp of that organization is LONG overdue, especially after the dippers bloated it with useless middle management paper pusher positions for their union buddy's. Blow it up!
Old 10-13-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Would you want to be held accountable for what you said yrs ago? I don't, I changed my mind on a lot of things, I'm who I am, not who I was.
Nope. Situations, people, relationships, outlook, etc. can all change in a matter of hours/days let alone a decade plus.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
At the end of the day, the whole AHS should be replaced. No more status quo. Rebuild the whole thing from the ground up, make people uncomfortable, Shake the tree, call it how you see it.
This!!!!
Old 10-13-2022, 02:54 PM

Default follow the money

How has the UCP's fundraising been going since this UCP leadership race was announced and now culminating with DS as premier.

Last spring the ND's were collecting almost $2.00 to every UCP $1.00 donated.

Maybe the NDP bought a lot of bulk memberships in the UCP party and got the leader they feel they can defeat!

Just saying.

BW
Old 10-13-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
How has the UCP's fundraising been going since this UCP leadership race was announced and now culminating with DS as premier.

Last spring the ND's were collecting almost $2.00 to every UCP $1.00 donated.

Maybe the NDP bought a lot of bulk memberships in the UCP party and got the leader they feel they can defeat!

Just saying.

BW
Same as federally, conservatives will never have a problem with money. They are pro business after all
Old 10-13-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
And what's your point?
Should have been more clear. The ironic part is really the last sentence in her quote:

I think there is a real possibility that special interest will stack the ballot holes and you are going to end up with a result that is very hard to predict.

Her words from 2011. The rest is… Well, call it that she evolved and changed her mind. We all do, you are right. Not all of us are in politics though, completely trashing the party, its members, etc; then evolve when the opportunity presents itself.

You are also right about what she is going to do is what really counts. Good luck to her, truly and sincerely. I already said what I think about that, so won’t repeat myself. Nothing else we can do anyway except for wait and see how it plays out.

To those talking about media freaking out, I didn’t notice that (maybe don’t read enough from particular sources?). And in general, media this, media that… She is the media, lol. She knows exactly what to say for her supporters to pay attention and get excited about. Even if the things she says are kind of dumb. And you want to hear about the diversity and whatever else the other commenter referred with to me yesterday? Here you go:

"I want to be clear that I did not intend to trivialize in any way the discrimination faced by minority communities and other persecuted groups both here in Canada and around the world or to create any false equivalencies to the terrible historical discrimination and persecution suffered by so many minority groups over the last decades and centuries," she wrote in a statement.

"I am committed to listening, learning and addressing the issues affecting minority communities."
Old 10-13-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Can't argue with that.

Remember when AHS brass were spending $10,000 a month on cell phones? I do. One AHS Manager was spending $10,750 and a Director spent $12,153, that's disgusting!

https://globalnews.ca/news/1829646/a...device-policy/

A total revamp of that organization is LONG overdue, especially after the dippers bloated it with useless middle management paper pusher positions for their union buddy's. Blow it up!
Part of the problem with healthcare all across the country. Bloated bureaucracy with hefty salaries, bonuses and pensions sucking up the healthcare money. In my health region alone, there are 13 board of directors with the top 5 earning 1.6 million annually. For 75 hr biweekly hrs. That doesn't include the $500 bonuses for attending meetings and all of the other outrageous waste. The whole system needs an overhaul country wide which starts with getting rid of the bloat
Old 10-13-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Same as federally, conservatives will never have a problem with money. They are pro business after all
Corporate bootlicking isn't the same as pro business.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:08 AM

Where have All the 35 year term Alberta Premiers like Lougheed and Manning gone. All we have now are 2 year wannabees.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Corporate bootlicking isn't the same as pro business.
And trying to replace private industry with government owned/controlled industry isn't pro business either. Many businesses have been driven out of Alberta, and out of Canada, by recent governments.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Part of the problem with healthcare all across the country. Bloated bureaucracy with hefty salaries, bonuses and pensions sucking up the healthcare money. In my health region alone, there are 13 board of directors with the top 5 earning 1.6 million annually. For 75 hr biweekly hrs. That doesn't include the $500 bonuses for attending meetings and all of the other outrageous waste. The whole system needs an overhaul country wide which starts with getting rid of the bloat
What health region is this? I love looking up info like this. I prefer to look at the available information though regarding public employee salaries as opposed to what “Ive heard”. Personally I can’t believe these monetary amounts regarding salary are possible so please steer me in the right direction and prove me wrong.

Last edited by Rvsask; 10-16-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
What health region is this? I love looking up info like this. I prefer to look at the available information though regarding public employee salaries as opposed to what “Ive heard”. Personally I can’t believe these monetary amounts regarding salary are possible so please steer me in the right direction and prove me wrong.
I'm not sure the top 5 would make a combined 1.6 mill...

but here is the list you are looking for
https://www.sunshineliststats.com/Province/AB

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG

From AHS's website, this is the "Sunshine List" for AHS employees only. The top 5 were around $2.8 million. AHS is a big animal, however in 2021 there were about 2100 AHS employees making over $136K. This is not to bash AHS employees, just for awareness.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...Page13093.aspx

Last edited by HVA7mm; 10-16-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Nonsense
Clueless
Not a clue
Half an idiot

And then you are backtracking a little bit

Know what, I personally voted for one of the other candidates, but I start to like DS more every day
And she is way smarter than you and me together
Fun fact 1: Historicaly, Danielle Smith can not win elections at the best of times.

Fun Fact 2: Danielle Smith has a matter of months to convince the right that she is anything more than a liar, and more moderate voters that she isnt crazy. These two objectives are basically at odds with eachother, and as far as I can see she isnt off to a great start.

Opinion: While I dont dissagree with most of what Daniel smith has said, unles she's a whole lot smarter than anyone suspects, the only "change" she's going to be making is handing the NDP a win... Again. And the people who created this pickle in the first place were either too dilusional to even see it coming, or too self absorbed to care.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Fun fact 1: Historicaly, Danielle Smith can not win elections at the best of times.

Fun Fact 2: Danielle Smith has a matter of months to convince the right that she is anything more than a liar, and more moderate voters that she isnt crazy. These two objectives are basically at odds with eachother, and as far as I can see she isnt off to a great start.

Opinion: While I dont dissagree with most of what Daniel smith has said, unles she's a whole lot smarter than anyone suspects, the only "change" she's going to be making is handing the NDP a win... Again. And the people who created this pickle in the first place were either too dilusional to even see it coming, or too self absorbed to care.
Agreed. She was my pick, I can & did vote. She needs to pivot to the center yesterday. No honeymoon bump in the polls, And now some of her past social media attention grabs have received attention now.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-16-2022, 09:56 PM

UCP member. My guy didn’t win. I will support DS.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Agreed. She was my pick, I can & did vote. She needs to pivot to the center yesterday. No honeymoon bump in the polls, And now some of her past social media attention grabs have received attention now.
I really havnt followed allot of DS's social media activity, but the very little I'm aware of leads me to suspect that the left can probably dig up enough dirt to completely bury her. And thats if she doesnt give them any more amunition between now and May...

Scary, concidering that her handling (or not) of some relatively minor scandles involving low level MP's is what sunk her in the past. If I was Piere Poilievre I would take great care to not get caught in the same time zone as DS, for fear of getting hit by shrapnell.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:

ARG
Thanks for the link. Truth be told I had already looked at all available info I could find and was just curious where someone pulled their numbers from. Facebook or arse I’m not sure.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:

ARG
Curious how many positions like these are out there and how many were in place before or after the NDP took power.

It does see, very top heavy.

My experience at the hospitals is that nurses, doctors, surgeons, support workers are slammed and for the most part doing excellent work.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-17-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Curious how many positions like these are out there and how many were in place before or after the NDP took power.

It does see, very top heavy.

My experience at the hospitals is that nurses, doctors, surgeons, support workers are slammed and for the most part doing excellent work.
Going to need more, more, more. As of July 1, 2022. Alberta has 60,000 new immigrants (120,000/annually or 2.5% growth rate, not counting births/deaths). Approx 65% from international community. The other 35% from interprovincial migration. Better have lots of jobs (health)? Now I see why all those new low cost housing is being built…… every community. Walk downtown Edmonton. I think I am in South Sudan… Nigeria. These people need jobs, that aren’t there.
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/601d...ta-tables.xlsx
Old 10-17-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Going to need more, more, more. As of July 1, 2022. Alberta has 60,000 new immigrants (120,000/annually or 2.5% growth rate, not counting births/deaths). Approx 65% from international community. The other 35% from interprovincial migration. Better have lots of jobs (health)? Now I see why all those new low cost housing is being built…… every community. Walk downtown Edmonton. I think I am in South Sudan… Nigeria. These people need jobs, that aren’t there.
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/601d...ta-tables.xlsx
Sorry… to be clear I was talking about senior management/ administrative positions.

Based upon first hand experience… they need more nurses and support workers as well as docs and surgeons.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin