Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 PM

Default Dirt2oil

Go figure, a guy with a handle like Dirt2Oil isn't concerned about jack except for himself. You must be a great family man,real good grass roots down to earth, leave your mark kinda folks eh! Nice legacy.
Lots of land owners here, not that many city folks. Your reply was as useless and helpful as this one of mine.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Not kidding at all!. Maybe you are not understanding what I meant? With respect to the OP, call in someone who can use the meat now, instead of waiting till the coyotes do not even want them later. That is what the OP seemed to be asking. If I was him, I would not even bother to ask for an opinion here and just go ahead and do it. Better someone eats well now than after he has wasted a lot of time and hay only to have the same happen again next year when his neighbors do not let anyone shoot bambi.

dgl1948, it is probably too late for the deer in your area. They will take a long time to come back. The OP has the opportunity to nip the problem before it gets worse like your problem did.
These deer are hunted each fall by resident and non-resident Canadians. There is no limit on the number of hunters in this area. Balancing the harvest is a tricky thing. The deer in these pictures come from several miles around and yard up to winter. If you harvested the majority of these deer in the fall and it turned out to be a normal winter, the following season would have few animals and not enough for a season. In a normal winter these animals would be scattered over several miles of country and not be overpopulated and would not be a problem. If you have a way of predicting what the winter is going to bring it would help with management but that is not going to happen. By the time these animals yard up it is to late to use them for meat. They are just skin and bone and who knows what disease a lot of the carry when they are under stress. As a landowner all you cannot suffer a loss of this much feed. All you can do is deer proof your stack yard and the next bad winter they will suffer an even grater loss. That is what has happened here in the last 3 years.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Go figure, a guy with a handle like Dirt2Oil isn't concerned about jack except for himself. You must be a great family man,real good grass roots down to earth, leave your mark kinda folks eh! Nice legacy.
Lots of land owners here, not that many city folks. Your reply was as useless and helpful as this one of mine.
Actually Earl if you would read the post it says, "I have bales for sale" and that I placed some round bales for the deer to eat if they want. That doesn't affect me at all it's for the deer, I have my bull moose in the freezer and a beef any time I want . And who are you to question my integrity I am the last of the real men Earl, I am a provider and just because I chose a name on some stupid forum doesn't change the facts. So Earl give your sister a break for an hour and go put some bales out like I did
Old 12-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
Actually Earl if you would read the post it says, "I have bales for sale" and that I placed some round bales for the deer to eat if they want. That doesn't affect me at all it's for the deer, I have my bull moose in the freezer and a beef any time I want . And who are you to question my integrity I am the last of the real men Earl, I am a provider and just because I chose a name on some stupid forum doesn't change the facts. So Earl give your sister a break for an hour and go put some bales out like I did
Right on man good on you as a landowner and hunter to put some bails out for whitetails that are probly starving already! Who knows karma might come into play and you'll shoot a booner off your deck next year. You and I are some of the last real men around .
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM

Default lol

"So Earl give your sister a break for an hour and go put some bales out like I did" Ha, now that's funny, don't care who you are! Almost choked on my coffee.
I never cut anything this year, so its all still there for them. My lousy comment was in response to yours about assumptions on folks on this forum, or 95% of us.
So what makes a fellow "One of the real last men around" anyhow?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
"So Earl give your sister a break for an hour and go put some bales out like I did" Ha, now that's funny, don't care who you are! Almost choked on my coffee.
I never cut anything this year, so its all still there for them. My lousy comment was in response to yours about assumptions on folks on this forum, or 95% of us.
So what makes a fellow "One of the real last men around" anyhow?
Someone who lets others know via computers..... Didnt ya know?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM

You can sure tell in this thread who has land and who has not.
Some of the remedies offered up border on the inane and the ridiculous.
Deer are going to die this winter. They have already suffered two killer winters out of three years. This will be the same if we don't get an early spring.

The man is losing valuable feed. His best bet is to call the Govt. and apply for Compensation.
Our hunting dollars pay for it.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post
You can sure tell in this thread who has land and who has not.
Some of the remedies offered up border on the inane and the ridiculous.
Deer are going to die this winter. They have already suffered two killer winters out of three years. This will be the same if we don't get an early spring.

The man is losing valuable feed. His best bet is to call the Govt. and apply for Compensation.
No your $37 dollar tag does not pay for it!! Get a sniff
Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Hunting

Hi Jillian I was wondering if I could get permission to hunt on your land this fall.I am very safety minded when it comes to guns and people.I would very much enjoy to take a few does or a buck as well out of the herd as I love the taste of deer, love to hear back from you thanks toby.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Hi Jillian I was wondering if I could get permission to hunt on your land this fall.I am very safety minded when it comes to guns and people.I would very much enjoy to take a few does or a buck as well out of the herd as I love the taste of deer, love to hear back from you thanks toby.
that would make the perfect pm.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post
They calculated what the deer ate, not what they wasted. Payment worked out to about 1 bale for every 10 destroyed. They helped with the fence next year. If you built to there standards you got 10 cents on the dollar.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Just like hunting season...hunters want you to drop everything you are doing, no matter how busy you are to accommodate them. It was the Christmas season with family to travel to and spend time with, but I guess some people have lots of time on their hands.

As posted before in this thread, it won't help trying to get permission for next years hunting season because the deer do not live on my land during the season. I gave lots of permission this year and not one shot was fired because not one deer was spotted. I have no natural cover for them so they live at all the neighbors. I didn't even buy a tag this season for the same reason.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian View Post
Just like hunting season...hunters want you to drop everything you are doing, no matter how busy you are to accommodate them. It was the Christmas season with family to travel to and spend time with, but I guess some people have lots of time on their hands.

As posted before in this thread, it won't help trying to get permission for next years hunting season because the deer do not live on my land during the season. I gave lots of permission this year and not one shot was fired because not one deer was spotted. I have no natural cover for them so they live at all the neighbors. I didn't even buy a tag this season for the same reason.
Jillian,
PM sent
Old 12-29-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Yup.

I get tired of landowners being raked over the coals.

Why doesn't yippy put up or shut up? Oh yeah, the deer are rural problems 11months of the year. We are expected to feed and protect them until November so we can come on here and listen to hunters pi$$ and moan about what ********s landowners are.

Once again a landowner is attempting to legally solve a problem and the DB on here accuse them of starving the deer. They offer no solution just pi$$ and moan that we don't/won't loose our livelyhood to feed animals that we are reminded daily belong to all Albertans.

Then the landowner is, in a thinly veiled way, accused of not allowing hunting to keep "the big one" for themselves.

Oh well. That's how this site rolls.

Merry Christmas!
I have too agree with you 100 percent bud. They complain cause we don't let them hunt, but they aren't the ones paying vet bills or taking risks buying land to better themselves but expect the world when they see some deer on are land. Then get mad when we don't feed the deer cause it's a hard winter. Deer don't make us money are cattle or grain does so I can understand were the op is coming from. Maybe some of you city people should go buy some land and a tractor and some seed and put yourself in our shoes for ounce instead of bitch and complain.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 AM

Having a survivor like the whitetail deer in this province is a wonderful thing, a gift if you will. It's one of the few that can handle the genoriuos bag limits and long season, all in a general season. Its not easy being a deer in the north. Seeing a large group of deer all in one area because of deep snow an cold is not a real indicator of over population, this is a collection from dozens of miles. Some of those deer will make for some very happy hunters next year and for years to come if they are not killed during the closed season and tough months of a hard winter.
We should consider how lucky we are to have a decent deer population, albethey surrounded by greedy selfish people. Do the deer and hunting a favor and help them out, or deer proof you stacks and they'll move on. Not many self employed folks get anything for their losses in business and something is better than nothing.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Having a survivor like the whitetail deer in this province is a wonderful thing, a gift if you will. It's one of the few that can handle the genoriuos bag limits and long season, all in a general season. Its not easy being a deer in the north. Seeing a large group of deer all in one area because of deep snow an cold is not a real indicator of over population, this is a collection from dozens of miles. Some of those deer will make for some very happy hunters next year and for years to come if they are not killed during the closed season and tough months of a hard winter.
We should consider how lucky we are to have a decent deer population, albethey surrounded by greedy selfish people. Do the deer and hunting a favor and help them out, or deer proof you stacks and they'll move on. Not many self employed folks get anything for their losses in business and something is better than nothing.
well said if it was my livelihood I might want to protect it a little
Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 AM

I am not really a farmer,but we do have 160 acres here with lots of bush mixed with 55 open acres to bale up for our 3 horses...our neighbors come with their equipment to do that job for us. Every year we have way more feed than we need...so we leave some stacked up in the field away from the house so the deer,moose have something to eat..i also leave a coupla bales in the yard so when the animals come through here at night they can have some of that as well. I don't mind helping the animals out..it's only fair as they helped feed me for many years...

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned

One of the last "real men" around, ha. Must have a truck with a big cab to fit a head that large into! Lol
Old 12-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
One of the last "real men" around, ha. Must have a truck with a big cab to fit a head that large into! Lol
You got it!! That's not why pal although we could "discuss" this over a beer at a bar of your choice! PM me

Last edited by Dirt2oil; 12-30-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
You got it!! That's not why pal although we could "discuss" this over a beer at a bar of your choice! PM me
Nice and subtle with your threats. Next time type in CAPITOLS.....WAY more scary that way. Pfft.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Nice and subtle with your threats. Next time type in CAPITOLS.....WAY more scary that way. Pfft.
Maybe he does just wanna to discuss the problem. To many law suits these days to be doing stuff old school. Lmao
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Awesome...wish i would have thought of posting this one!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
No threats just want to have a discussion with a fellow member! Oh and it's CAPITALS NOT CAPITOLS. What part of eastern Canada are you from? Because you know we don't have pickerel here, oh and again it's pickerel not PICKREL PFFT
Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Oh man that this is hilarious! I needed a good laugh today. Thank you very much for posting!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Oh man that this is hilarious! I needed a good laugh today. Thank you very much for posting!
I want to know what that other guy has against Ukrainians! Love their food.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DLT View Post
I want to know what that other guy has against Ukrainians! Love their food.
Nothing bud. I'm 100 percent canadian with 100 percent Ukrainian heritage. And yes we do have some pretty good food. I think that's why 3/4 of us are what they call big bone. I just needed a name so I'm Ukrainian and I like to kill!!! Lol
Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainankiller View Post
Nothing bud. I'm 100 percent canadian with 100 percent Ukrainian heritage. And yes we do have some pretty good food. I think that's why 3/4 of us are what they call big bone. I just needed a name so I'm Ukrainian and I like to kill!!! Lol
Just pulling your leg. Sitting down to perogies and kielbasa as we speak.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you, I would be honored.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DLT View Post
Just pulling your leg. Sitting down to perogies and kielbasa as we speak.
Lucky bugger!!! I ate so much Ukrainan food already but you can never get sick of perogies and kubasa. Indulge my friend.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 PM

I certainly see the OP's issue. I just wish I had the same problem. Seeing a deer a day is a big deal around here.
Contact the Gov and SRD. You should be compensated for lost crop, it's not your job to feed the deer with hay designated to cash animals. If you can spare some bales (not bails, you boys need some grammar lessons lol), throw some out for them. If you can't spare the hay you've got to get that handled asap. Years ago a neighbor lost nearly all his winter feed to a massive deer herd that moved in. He did squat about it, ended up buying hay all winter. And that sucks.

And what's this about meeting for beer?!?! I'm in.