Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
All I was trying to do is understand what's makes people buy certain calibers ? as in hunting elk for example and shooting out to 350 yards ..ya ya ya the most famous saying " proper placement " .. but hey why would you buy a heavy recoiling 338 win versus a ***** cat 7-08...QUESTION is .. can they do the same ..no- way and the funny thing is ? the buyers don't know why a 338 win packs more punch and killing , than a punny 7-08 ..
Why does anyone buy a Ford festiva and use it to drive down the highway?

Ya ya, the most famous saying "it gets good mileage". Why would you use a festiva when you could use a corvette? Sure a festiva will get the job done with less fuel, but to get anywhere fast and in style you need to drive a corvette.... Everyone knows that.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I can't shoot past 80 yards, that's why I was asking for some advise because I wanna extend my range ..are you a long distant elk shooter and what do you use .. any help is appreciated
If you cannot shoot past 80 yards and you want t go longer there is only one answer that will help- trigger time with proper instruction wit a mid range cartridge.
Cat
Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The best elk gun is the one that you have the most confidence in. Myself I lost faith in shooting elk with a 270 after loosing a cow elk. Was it the rifles fault, not a chance. Usually when I shoot moose or elk with a 300wm or 338wm they go straight down. Does that make them the "best" probably not but they do work pretty darn good.
Exactly.

Best elk gun is the one you have in your hands. Worst elk gun is the one you can't shoot.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
Common denominator seems to be that the guys who have actually done it a fair bit are pretty comfy with it, and those who haven't are certain it won't work...
Not saying it can't be done and done often. To say a 22-250 is a good elk round past 400 yards, well I pretty much have to roll my eyes and wonder why anyone would use it on elk unless out of necessity. Or to stroke an ego at the expense of the game animal.

To the OP looking for the best elk cartridge? Anything will kill an elk/buffalo/elephant/grizzly etc. What is best for elk? If you can handle the recoil, out of all your selections the .338 is the best one for the job when all other variables blah, blah, blah are the same. The other selections are fine, but the .338 is by far the best choice out of the bunch. To argue otherwise is just "crazy talk".
Old 12-22-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Not saying it can't be done and done often. To say a 22-250 is a good elk round past 400 yards, well I pretty much have to roll my eyes and wonder why anyone would use it on elk unless out of necessity. Or to stroke an ego at the expense of the game animal.

To the OP looking for the best elk cartridge? Anything will kill an elk/buffalo/elephant/grizzly etc. What is best for elk? If you can handle the recoil, out of all your selections the .338 is the best one for the job when all other variables blah, blah, blah are the same. The other selections are fine, but the .338 is by far the best choice out of the bunch. To argue otherwise is just "crazy talk".
I've never shot an elk with a .22-250, so can't speak about its effectiveness in the first hand. Based on your firm opinions on it, I assume you've shot a number of elk with it? Same with all the other chamberings on the OP's list? You must have, to be able to say one of them is "by far the best choice out of the bunch". I'd guess you have killed a considerable number of elk with the listed gamut of chamberings to make such a statement, yes? If not, making such definitive statements without them being based on experience is..."crazy talk"...
Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
I've never shot an elk with a .22-250, so can't speak about its effectiveness in the first hand. Based on your firm opinions on it, I assume you've shot a number of elk with it? Same with all the other chamberings on the OP's list? You must have, to be able to say one of them is "by far the best choice out of the bunch". I'd guess you have killed a considerable number of elk with the listed gamut of chamberings to make such a statement, yes? If not, making such definitive statements without them being based on experience is..."crazy talk"...
Jordan, let me ask you, would you rather be slapped by the queen of england or hulk hogan. Exact same principles apply. Physics don't lie.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:55 PM

What province are the boys using 22-250s to stack elk like cordwood?

Last edited by sns2; 12-22-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jordan, let me ask you, would you rather be slapped by the queen of england or hulk hogan. Exact same principles apply. Physics don't lie.
I have to ask, would you rather have hulk hogan stab you in the arm with a railway tie or the queen stab you in the heart with an ice pick?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I have to ask, would you rather have hulk hogan stab you in the arm with a railway tie or the queen stab you in the heart with an ice pick?
The variables arnt the same kirk. But yeah, ill take the railway tie in this case. What exactly is your point, bullet placement? Not argueing the great importance of bullet placement.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Given that choice, the Queen with the Icepick. Way more likely to survive the damage and blood loss.

As to the rest of this thread and the OPs ongoing inane questions, Lord I get tired of this bull crap. I will never participate in another of these "what is the best" threads again. It is a complete waste of time trying to educate or help those that just plainly don't want to learn.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Given that choice, the Queen with the Icepick. Way more likely to survive the damage and blood loss.

As to the rest of this thread and the OPs ongoing inane questions, Lord I get tired of this bull crap. I will never participate in another of these "what is the best" threads again. It is a complete waste of time trying to educate or help those that just plainly don't want to learn.
Take heart. 1 in 10 likely take good advice, and people other than the OP read, and learn.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
The variables arnt the same kirk. But yeah, ill take the railway tie in this case. What exactly is your point, bullet placement? Not argueing the great importance of bullet placement.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't arguing with you, I just took the opportunity to pirate your analogy.

My point is, and always has been, that every cartridge the op listed will make an elk dead at 350yds if you hit it in the right spot with the right bullet. Dead is dead, there is no deader. None of the cartridges will kill an elk at 350yds if you hit the elk in the knee. A 150gr nosler partition travelling 1800fps will have no penetration problems provided it's in the right spot.

I had my suspicions early on in this thread that the op was trolling but I still tried to help. Turns out I bit the troll bait. I won't get Rio'd in again.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
BC and a fair number of guys in the states do as well.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I had my suspicions early on in this thread that the op was trolling but I still tried to help. Turns out I bit the troll bait. I won't get Rio'd in again.
Unfortunately, when it comes to forums like this, there will always be people that ask questions when they aren't looking for an answer, and there will be people providing answers, that don't have a clue what they are talking about.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
No, physics don't lie. Here's a similar question for you- would you rather get hit in the head by a baseball going 1000 mph, or a meteor going the same speed? Hint- either choice leads to the same result.

And I'll take Hogan. He's passed his prime
Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Montana.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I have heard of it, have also heard of guys killing them with 22 rimfire. I lived in BC for 20 years, I personally never knew or saw anyone, hunting elk with a 22-250. I think if you went on the BC forum and asked if anybody used the 22-250 as their elk hunting rifle I doubt you would get to many guys saying it is, Same as Montana. The 22-250 is simply not a popular elk round, in fact it is extremely rare that anybody but 'stunt' shooters are using it as an elk round and the rare guy who shoots an elk with one because he had an unexpected opportunity and it happened to be the only rifle available at the time..
Old 12-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Will the first volunteer to stand in front of any of the above mentioned cartridges at 350 yds please raise their hand.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Will the first volunteer to stand in front of any of the above mentioned cartridges at 350 yds please raise their hand.
no kidding... we're a step away from uranium rounds to pierce their armor
Old 12-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default k

7-08 to the 338 is a huge range of caliber and cartridge....There's been lots of opinions and a little infield to back anything ....I have made a choice and will go with the 300 WSM .... seems is will break a elk's shoulder at 350 yds and the 7-08, 280 rem ect : is questionable...thanks again for all the help...
Old 12-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Phew. I thought this would never end.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Phew. I thought this would never end.
and I thank you for your contributions ... lol ... ever so meaningless
Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
and I thank you for your contributions ... lol ... ever so meaningless
Your welcome.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Your welcome.
I assume you don't know what meaningless or useless means .....lmfao
Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Yes I do. Why do you ask?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Rio it doesn't seem that you know how to make friends on here. You've been given great advice from a wide range of forum members with a wide range of hunting and shooting experience, most have answered your many stupid questions and not been offended when you unfoundedly questioned their many years of experience in the field, and their many successful elk hunts. You haven't taken anyones advice that has taken their time to respond to your thread.

This seems like the perfect time for you to climb back under your bridge and let the adults resume pertinent discussion about real issues and questions that contributing members of this community would like to discuss. You haven't taken anyones advice that has taken their time to respond to your thread
Old 12-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
It will be the first thing that comes to mind from now on whenever I see a thread you post asking for advice.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:19 PM

Truer words have never been spoken. Well said. He was trolling from the start.
Banned

hmm 300 wsm i didn't know we could pick any cartridge we wanted... in that case i revise my vote from 7mm rem mag to 25-06
Banned

Quote:
7-08 to the 338 is a huge range of caliber and cartridge....There's been lots of opinions and a little infield to back anything ....I have made a choice and will go with the 300 WSM .... seems is will break a elk's shoulder at 350 yds and the 7-08, 280 rem ect : is questionable...thanks again for all the help...
Closed Thread