Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM

in my experience it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you spend the time find out what you gun llikes to shot. i have got a 2 sako, 2 ruger, 2 browning, remington and a nef they all will shoot under 3/4" 3 shot groups. some just took longer to find the perfect load. as far as the guns go fit is everthing.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
I totally agree with you Mountain Ti. Mr. Cooter did mention at the begining of this thread that he dosen't like Weatherby Cartridges and Calibers. I own and owned many Weatherbys and custom make rifles in a Weatherby cartridge, however I will asked Mr. Cooter, "what is a Weatherby caliber?"
Sometimes opinions will be respected a little more when they are formed from real world experience, rather than reading a couple magazine articles and books. I too would be curious as to how many weatherby rifles, or rifles chambered in a weatherby caliber Mr. Cooter has actually shot to form such a hatred for them. Perhaps they are just out of his price league, thus the dislike.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Default hahahah

to all the weatherby gurus out there with a 300 wbymag that think they have the king of all rifles and they are the best thing going i do belive that the 300 rum is a superior cartridge and it is not a weatherby made one either and to buy a gun chambered in this better cartridge would be half the price of a so called good weatherby the thing you should do with a weatherby is buy 1 and burn it so no 1 else ever owns it
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM

My first rifle was a Vanguard in 7MM, and it shot great. I probably wouldn't buy another unless it was a good deal just cause I prefer some others, but if I got a good deal no doubt would buy and shoot one.

It's like asking about someones truck, even though they know Dodge is better they might claim Ford is the best.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
to all the weatherby gurus out there with a 300 wbymag that think they have the king of all rifles and they are the best thing going
To the best of my knowelege not one person in this thread has claimed such a thing. So where are you going with your comment?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
to all the weatherby gurus out there with a 300 wbymag that think they have the king of all rifles and they are the best thing going i do belive that the 300 rum is a superior cartridge and it is not a weatherby made one either and to buy a gun chambered in this better cartridge would be half the price of a so called good weatherby the thing you should do with a weatherby is buy 1 and burn it so no 1 else ever owns it
Out of wind after that one? Try splitting it up into a couple of sentences and you will have time to breathe, and perhaps not sound like the rambling of a kindergarten kid.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
sure is nice to see owners of sub par rifles(tikka,savage) going at it instead of only picking on the king of rifles the weatherby.
here here !!!!!!!!! What was that old saying Jealousy breeds contempt !!!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Out of wind after that one? Try splitting it up into a couple of sentences and you will have time to breathe, and perhaps not sound like the rambling of a kindergarten kid.
X2....Wow, buy a $2000 rifle just to burn it?! Wish I had that kind of money!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM

I have owned 3 rifles chambered to Weatherby cartridges. (1 -300mag,Winchester mod.70: 1-300 mag,Voere Titan II: 1-270 mag,Winchester mod 70)I have never owned a Weatherby rifle because they don't fit me properly.I have however fired several of them and found thier accuracy on par with most Sako's/Tikka's. I own a Tikka 55 (308), a Tikka 658(338WM),plus a Sako 85 (300wsm). For over 10 years I packed nothing but my old Win. in 300 weatherby. Shot Moose,Elk,Deer(both variety's) and bear. Loaded 80.5 gr. H4831 with a 180 nosler partition.I still had another 30 or so rifles collecting dust in the cabinets,but that one filled the freezers. Bottom line is find a gun that feels good and fits. Chamber it to a suitable cartridge for the game you intend to hunt and buy the best glass you can afford.

PS: Don't go buy some bloody cannon that scares the crap out of you unless you have the disapline to learn to shoot it well!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Default exectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I have owned 3 rifles chambered to Weatherby cartridges. (1 -300mag,Winchester mod.70: 1-300 mag,Voere Titan II: 1-270 mag,Winchester mod 70)I have never owned a Weatherby rifle because they don't fit me properly.I have however fired several of them and found thier accuracy on par with most Sako's/Tikka's. I own a Tikka 55 (308), a Tikka 658(338WM),plus a Sako 85 (300wsm). For over 10 years I packed nothing but my old Win. in 300 weatherby. Shot Moose,Elk,Deer(both variety's) and bear. Loaded 80.5 gr. H4831 with a 180 nosler partition.I still had another 30 or so rifles collecting dust in the cabinets,but that one filled the freezers. Bottom line is find a gun that feels good and fits. Chamber it to a suitable cartridge for the game you intend to hunt and buy the best glass you can afford.

PS: Don't go buy some bloody cannon that scares the crap out of you unless you have the disapline to learn to shoot it well!
I agree with you 110%.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Well Jim, yes that is the most important thing to me. The gun must fit. What’s the point of buying a gun if it doesn’t feel good. If it doesn’t feel good you’re not going to shoot it well.
As far as putting your money where your mouth is. If anyone is willing to jump out and bash another brand and say they are inaccurate, well then they should be willing to back their claim.
I know a couple of these guys are planning on meeting at a range one day to do some shooting and settle the score. They have invited me and if possible I would like to join them too.
As far as one guy being a better shot, well that’s quite possible. Then again if their brand of gun is more accurate than the other brand they should be able to back up their reason for bashing.
To sum it up, if you’re willing to do some bashing you better be willing to back your claim up without any excuses. Just the same for me, if I’m willing to say that my rifle is more accurate than their rifle and can’t prove it I better be willing to eat a little crow.
I'm hearin ya,,,just think it would be cool to try out different guns in a freindly setting,,,I would love to know which one was better fer sure before I forked out the bux. I'm looking for a new one right now so it would be kinda fun to do it that way. But ya,,, the bashin part could be done a better way
Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

for those that missed it, this thread has nothing to do with weatherby and was nothing but a juvenile attempt to draw another forum member into a pizzing match. the fact that he declined to participate shows a little more class than what some thought he had.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
for those that missed it, this thread has nothing to do with weatherby and was nothing but a juvenile attempt to draw another forum member into a pizzing match. The fact that he declined to participate shows a little more class than what some thought he had.

bingo

Last edited by redranger15; 03-23-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM

I really think the next person that starts a Weatherby thread should be shot. But then we would have to decide just which gun we should use to do that and we would just end up having this discussion all over again.
For the record I can not respect a company that places more importance in hitting their Target market than they do of hitting their target. Weatherby made that choice and it may work for them but not for me.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 53 View Post
For the record I can not respect a company that places more importance in hitting their Target market than they do of hitting their target. Weatherby made that choice and it may work for them but not for me.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Rockymtnx all I can say is that if you have to ask the question I don't think you would understand the answer.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
How many Weatherby owners here on AO have had to send their $2200 or less rifle back to Weatherby to be reworked?
I didn't pay $2200 for my Weatherby Mark V rifles,because they didn't cost that much in the 90s when I owned two of them.They were however expensive compared to other rifles at the time.I chose to sell my Weatherby rifles rather than spend more time and money trying to make them more accurate.

Quote:
How many Cooper owners here on AO have had to send their $2200 + rifle back to Copper to have it reworked?
None that I know of.I sent a Cooper back because there was a small flaw in the bedding that resulted in groups averaging around 3/4 moa,but I certainly didn't pay $2200 for that rifle,or any other Cooper rifle for that matter.

If My Mark V rifles had averaged 3/4 moa ,I would not have sold them,I would have considered myself fortunate,since Weatherby does not guarantee any of their rifles to shoot that well.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I didn't pay $2200 for my Weatherby Mark V rifles,because they didn't cost that much in the 90s when I owned two of them.They were however expensive compared to other rifles at the time.I chose to sell my Weatherby rifles rather than spend more time and money trying to make them more accurate.

None that I know of.I sent a Cooper back because there was a small flaw in the bedding that resulted in groups averaging around 3/4 moa,but I certainly didn't pay $2200 for that rifle,or any other Cooper rifle for that matter.

If My Mark V rifles had averaged 3/4 moa ,I would not have sold them,I would have considered myself fortunate,since Weatherby does not guarantee any of their rifles to shoot that well.
I Find weatherby to be hit and Miss with accuracyI dont own one,but seen them shoot good and Bad.

I saw some cooper Rifles the other day that looked Good,but they have heavy barrels on them which are almost the same size as some Target barrels.So that probabley helps cooper's accuracy.I myself would go with the Sako.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I saw some cooper Rifles the other day that looked Good,but they have heavy barrels on them which are almost the same size as some Target barrels.So that probabley helps cooper's accuracy.I myself would go with the Sako.
Actually most Coopers have sporter weight barrels,and all coopers have the 1/2 moa guarantee.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

This thread, has about as much thought as saying " I hate chocolate ice cream" come on guys/girls let it go.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Gone Hunting

so. just wondering, is everyone here going to participate in Dick 284's Postal Match this year?????
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM

I have owned a Tikka T3 in 300wsm.I loved the gun very much.I had great success with the rifle(and a few failures not the rifles fault) I liked the way it felt handled and carried.My uncle wanted it very bad, so I sold the gun to him.i then bought a Vangaurd 300 wby.It is a little heavier not as nice to look at,and kicks a little harder.The weatherby is a killing machine it is perfect in 5 seasons,all most all 1 shot kills.All that being said my next purchase was a Vangaurd 257 wby which is a good gun but not perfect (1 moose escaped).I think that they are all good,Weatherby just kills better IMO.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 53 View Post
Rockymtnx all I can say is that if you have to ask the question I don't think you would understand the answer.
Please explain yourself a little further......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
so. just wondering, is everyone here going to participate in Dick 284's Postal Match this year?????
You betcha. I don't plan on winning anything but am still willing to take part and have some fun with a few others AO members.

Quote:
You paid less than $2200 for your Coopers?
However you did have to send it back to be reworked....

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 03-23-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Please explain yourself a little further......

You betcha. I don't plan on winning anything but am still willing to take part and have some fun with a few others AO members.

at my age I'm hoping I can keep 5 on the target off the bench, let alone stage 2!!!!...but it will be fun...where u shooting at???
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yes I did,which proves your statement false.

Quote:
However you did have to send it back to be reworked...
I did not "have" to send it back,most people would be pleased with groups averaging 3/4moa,with several groups less than 1/2moa.I chose to send it back,because I thought that it could be even more accurate without the slight bedding flaw.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
This thread, has about as much thought as saying " I hate chocolate ice cream"
It ranks right up there with calling Savage guns junk.

To be honest,I did not take this thread at all seriously,but obviously some people did.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
at my age I'm hoping I can keep 5 on the target off the bench, let alone stage 2!!!!...but it will be fun...where u shooting at???
I will be shooting here at my own range.
Yup should be fun for everyone involved.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
It ranks right up there with calling Savage guns junk.

To be honest,I did not take this thread at all seriously,but obviously some people did.
X 2 I can't believe no one gets it. And power to ya " you know who " for not bitting and getting hooked. If i were to spend " price of top weatherby " on a rifle i would buy a remington or sako. But thats just my taste. I have nothing against weatherbys, except my cheap piece of crap shotgun i bought that has weatherby stamped on the side. This thread was started to get the guys who think there better for owning one, to bite and show how full of it they are. If your happy with your weatherbys great but there not " SUPERIOR " to any other rifle, if that particular rifle works good for the owner and they enjoy it. Sucked in by cooter.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonc View Post
I have owned a Tikka T3 in 300wsm.I loved the gun very much.I had great success with the rifle(and a few failures not the rifles fault) I liked the way it felt handled and carried.My uncle wanted it very bad, so I sold the gun to him.i then bought a Vangaurd 300 wby.It is a little heavier not as nice to look at,and kicks a little harder.The weatherby is a killing machine it is perfect in 5 seasons,all most all 1 shot kills.All that being said my next purchase was a Vangaurd 257 wby which is a good gun but not perfect (1 moose escaped).I think that they are all good,Weatherby just kills better IMO.
Weatherby just kills better? WOW!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, I Got mine for less too. This time last year I bought a Cooper Excaliber .280 AI for $1,900(only problem with it was that my girlfriend claimed it)... And about 3 months ago found,and bought a .270 Weatherby Ultralightweight for $1,700...

Here's something for those who figure Weatherby's are sooo much more expensive... Straight out of the 2009 Wholsale Sports catalogue...

Page 4
Remington 700 Alaskan .270 WSM...$2,399.95

Page 24
Weatherby Mk.V Synthetic .270 Wby. Mag...$1299.95

But what's $1,100 MORE for a Remington

Page 116
Federal Premium .270 wsm Ammo... $62.99

Page 122
Weatherby .270 Wby Mag Ammo....$65.99

And you ca always find a better deal somewhere...lol