Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-12-2015, 12:14 PM

I started out with an old Parker Hale sporterized 303 dad got in a trade with an uncle (for a Model 70 in .270?? don't think he got the best of that one) when I was 14. Used that rifle for 18 years before I bought my "own" gun, a Sako 75 in 300WM as dad had a Model 70 in the 300 before and everything dropped that it pointed at. When it came time for my oldest son to start up, began looking at the 7-08, 260 and 25-06 for recoil. Found a 700 Mountain rifle in 7-08 he started with. I took it out a couple times and really liked it, so much so that I picked up a 270 that he liked more so I took it back haha. The 25-06 had intrigued me for a number of years so picked on up a few years ago, very, very happy with that. Picked up a Sako A11 in 7-08 little while ago so my son may have another chance at the Remington haha. I think between the 25-06, 7-08 and 300WM, I am set for life (don't get me wrong, still have other calibers, these are just the keepers). I think that limiting yourself to just one gun is like driving only one vehicle for the rest of your life. Yes, you will get where you are going, but sometimes you want to spice things up and get there in a flashier way perhaps.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:45 PM

I did it the very simple way... I got stickers from staples, and wrote down all the easily available calibers from a reloading book. Then I randomly stuck the stickers to a dartboard, blindfolded myself, then threw darts in the direction I thought the board was in after having spun around a few times...
Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 PM

Sometimes the gun chooses you and you don't even realize it.You just tried out a gun and its exactly what you were looking for in every way possible and it was made for you.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I did it the very simple way... I got stickers from staples, and wrote down all the easily available calibers from a reloading book. Then I randomly stuck the stickers to a dartboard, blindfolded myself, then threw darts in the direction I thought the board was in after having spun around a few times...
Makes total sense to me!
Cat
Old 07-12-2015, 11:00 PM

I generally base my choices on potential for accuracy. My only 6mm is the Dasher which has a good record at 600yds. Among 6.5's, I like the 6.5 X 47 ... also good mid-range credentials. And for 30 cal, the 30BR which is one of the top dogs for shooters involved with 300yd score. And of course, everone needs a 308 Win. Yes, all of these chamberings have brass by Lapua!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:23 PM

300 win mag, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott
No such thing as over kill
Old 07-14-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
My first rifle and cartridge choosing went like this:

Dad: here this 30-06 is yours now and its the best cartridge made

Me: ok thanks Dad

Shot a lot of animals with that gun still have a special place for that cartridge and gun but the lure of new interesting cartridges has taken over through the years.
Your dad is a wise man and you were smart enough to go along with his advice.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Makes total sense to me!
Cat
Well, you know... only took me 4 tries to hit the wall with the dartboard on it... And after placing a chair on the direction of the wall with the dartboard on it, another few tries to actually hit the board...

I believe it's the most scientific method... If you hit a sticker and find yourself disappointed, You know it's not the right one for you... Just like picking a girl from the class photos, you know...