Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Haha...that I gotta see. So...with the second trailer on there now, does that mean your steering wheel is back to "normal" direction?
What I mean: when reversing in your truck and you want to go right, you turn the steering wheel right. With a trailer on, you first turn the wheel LEFT...then back to RIGHT once the trailer pivots.
With a SECOND trailer on there..how do you start...first turn left...then right...then left again..???? Or is it RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT?!! AAAGH!!!!
Yes. Exactly
Old 03-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarysledguy View Post
Yes you can back up with B train. But it's much easier if you don't have to. Most of the time I just drop the second trailer in a open area and park the first one,go back for the second.

I have been practicing backing up both if I have time or an open area where I don't have people pressure or holding people up. I one day hope to be able to launch the boat with both trailers hooked up. (Im sure i can already just dont like holding people up)I can back two up better than some guys with one trailer. Judging people from campgrounds. Lol.
Interesting. I'm like you. I can back my trailer up into the most difficult spots with my eyes closed. The first time I was terrified. But I've always found driving easy.
We were camping at Chinook/Allison lake and we took our 28 footer down to the bottom loop (past the sign that saiys no trailers should go down here) and we went to the last spot of that loop and a guy said "oh you can't fit that thing in there, I don't think you'll even be able to make the hairpin turn."
I tucked that baby in there no problem.
At night my wife and I use FRS radios. Very quiet, she'll calmly direct me back, no yelling. Normally we hear husbands and wives screaming/yelling...STOP!! TOO FAR!! NO I SAID YOUR OTHER LEFT!!
hahaha...it's fun to watch when others arrive.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarysledguy View Post
Yes you can back up with B train. But it's much easier if you don't have to. Most of the time I just drop the second trailer in a open area and park the first one,go back for the second.

I have been practicing backing up both if I have time or an open area where I don't have people pressure or holding people up. I one day hope to be able to launch the boat with both trailers hooked up. (Im sure i can already just dont like holding people up)I can back two up better than some guys with one trailer. Judging people from campgrounds. Lol.
That’s the key right there - practice. I remember many years ago when I first started driving truck I would go out back and practice backing the trains so that when at a customers' dock I could do it without it being a big performance and embarrassment. The shorter the trailers the tougher they are to back up just because they react so quickly. With a longer trailer you have time to correct before it's too late because you see it not tracking right and can make corrections. Also going slow is generally faster in the end for most people. Never tried an rv train but would imagine the back trailer would be tough to see until it was too late.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
At night my wife and I use FRS radios. Very quiet, she'll calmly direct me back, no yelling. Normally we hear husbands and wives screaming/yelling...STOP!! TOO FAR!! NO I SAID YOUR OTHER LEFT!!
Never thought of that. Have a set and will use them next time if required. Ex always stood right behind the trailer so I could not see her. Kept telling her, if you cannot see my mirrors, I cannot see you which I thought was pretty self explanatory but she did never grasp the concept.

I pull tandem like calgarysledguy and you learn quick to back up the b train when one gets into a tight spot.

When pulling into a campground, I make a drive thru, find the site and then either drop my boat alongside the road if enough room or go and drop it off at the boat launch area parking then come back and back into the stall.

Other than the ability to tow tandem, the ease of hooking and unhooking to the fifth wheel is a big plus as is the maneuverability when backing up.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Haha...that I gotta see. So...with the second trailer on there now, does that mean your steering wheel is back to "normal" direction?
What I mean: when reversing in your truck and you want to go right, you turn the steering wheel right. With a trailer on, you first turn the wheel LEFT...then back to RIGHT once the trailer pivots.
With a SECOND trailer on there..how do you start...first turn left...then right...then left again..???? Or is it RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT?!! AAAGH!!!!

haha for sure.. I was half watching, half trying to get my own trailer unhooked as I was blocking the road.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I don't allow other people to guide me (including my wife), they are spotters, basically making sure I won't hit anything. They have two rules, If I can't see you, I will stop, and #2, a simple hand motion stop if it looks like I might hit something.

It has caused alot less stress, and it works great for us.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I won't add too much to this. I have a 3500 Ram and carry a 3600lbs slide in camper. I've pulled a boat before but you need to start evaluating your needs first. How much extension will the camper have beyond the truck - you will now need a hitch extension. So above and beyond the truck and camper, you will need:

-camper hold downs - fastguns: $500
-front truck mounts: $250
-new hitch for extension (super hitch)+ rear tie downs: ~$1000
-super truss hitch extension: $700
-potentially new tires (granted newer trucks have higher weight rated 18" tires)
-likely airbags - $500
-sway bar - $500

I don't expect you to know what these are but I really suggest you go over to rv.net and go in the truck camper section. These are really great people there and will help you. many are experiences in hauling much larger trailers with truck campers.

You will also realize that GVWR is just a BS registration number. Seriously. Take my truck for example. A 2006 Ram 3500 GVWR is 9900lbs. A 2006 Ram 2500 is 9000lbs. The difference between the two trucks - 1 upper overload spring. No difference in axles, transmissions, nothing. So, if one added an upper overload spring to the 2500, is it not now a 3500?

You'll also find that with a camper, your limiting factor is your rear tires. I weighed the drive axle of my truck and it weighs 3200lbs (took truck to scale). My original tires were rated for 3200lbs each, so 6400lbs total capacity. I now have a payload of 3200lbs. (I would have been about 400lbs overweight on my rear tires with my 3600lbs camper on). I upgraded my rear tires to 3750lbs each, so 7500lbs total. 3200lbs drive axle plus 3600lbs camper = 6800lbs on rear tires or ~700lbs under the tire rating. My axle weight rating is 10,000lbs.

Also, contrary to how they look, campers will not put any weight on the front axle. Maybe 200lbs at max. People have many weigh scale tickets to prove this. basically assume that the camper is 100% on the rear tires.

PM if you have more questions. There are a few others here who have done similar. They will help.

Also - get electric jacks. Do it. I can unload my camper in 20 minutes, maybe even 15 if the site is really level. Then go launch your boat with the empty truck.
Oh god my brain hurts after that! LOL So much to consider. But good stuff. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Banned

I bought my first truck/camper in 1975, and since then have tried almost every combination there is.......big campers, pop up campers, fifth wheels, bumper pulls, tents; I pull boats, utility trailers with quads on, horse trailers, etc, etc. Light trucks, heavy trucks, gas jobs, diesel jobs.

I have finally come to the conclusion that there is NO RIGHT ANSWER! Every time you go, there is a different situation, and you need a different outfit.

Finally, in retirement, I decided to buy one of everything so I could hook up to fit the requirement. Everything I bought was used, so all in I've still spent less than the cost of a new pickup, or the cost of a new trailer.

Right now I have two bumper pulls, one fifth wheel, one 11 ft camper, a 16 ft fiberglass boat, a horse trailer, a utility trailer for my two quads, and I still find days when I don't have what I would like for the current trip.

Forgot to mention that after trying almost every type of truck available, I bought a 1996 Dodge diesel 3500 4X4 dually to pull with. One thing is a constant.........anything I hook on to comes with me! That old truck pulls like a tractor, even though it doesn't like to go fast.

If I can be so bold as to give advice it would be that you need to go as big on the pickup as you can. When you are pulling/carrying a load you will NEVER regret having too much power/payload.

To the original OP (and I think someone already said this).........you will never find the ideal rig for every situation.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 AM

My advice get a trailer that is comfortable to be in all day for those rainy days. I would never buy a 5th wheel again as you are limited on the angle of approach as you may pinch you box with the trailer if it is too great. Get a light boat and use a boat loader and put it on top of the truck.
For a truck get a one ton as its a little more tow for a little bit more cash.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned

To the original poster,before I set up my 5th wheel/boat B-train I was nervous.That soon went away when I realized how nice it pulled and it was awesome to have the storage of a 5th wheel and the ease of backing it in which is way better than a pull type. You need a diesel period! They have bigger brakes and tons of torque.I would highly recommend a chip on the tow haul setting,my set up could easily cruise at 120 and climb big hills,often passing many truck and camper units. The big truck campers are soooo top heavy and dangerous in the wind.I got behind a guy once by Edson and I thought I was going to witness a horrific accident,it was windy and every time this guy would drive by a wooded area and then into the wide open he would almost lose it,boat was whipping into the other lane and I didn't dare pass him. Once you unload them to stab your boat in the water you are left with a wobbly and tiny living quarter with hardly any storage.Having owned all 4 types the I will never own anything but a 5th wheel!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Not sure about your blood pressure but mine is really high and I get upset very easily.

Dealing with the people at lakes and rivers close to the big city - and the highways used to get there can be a stroke inducing event.

If you are mellow, can handle backing up three miles of traffic to haul your b-train down the road, and like to set up camp next to Johhny Turbo Diesel and his first oil patch pay cheque it might work really good for you.

But, chances are you will want to get farther away from the big city. Maybe see the Yukon Territory. Check out BC interior. Set yourself up for minimum stress and ease of movement.

I suggest a bumper pull trailer just big enough for your wife not to kill you and a roof load system for your fishing boat on your pick up truck.

Campers are awesome but they make driving into town to get milk for your coffee really annoying. Once you start looking into campers you will discover how heavy they really are. Plus they require a long box to get one with any decent space.

If you stay small with the trailer and get a boat just big enough not to die in a windstorm, you will have plenty of money left over to get a hotel every now and then when your wife just can't frigging stand another night in the fart shack. Your pick up bed will be mostly free to put your boxes of beer and dead deer into. Your diesel won't need to be longer then a school bus and hauling the trailer will be bearable even on busy long weekends.

Just never forget the cost of a diesel truck and nice trailer is a pretty hefty down payment on a vacation property close to your dream lake in BC or Saskatchewan. Buy a cabin in the woods and a Jetta TDI to drive there. Buy a 1979 Chev 1500 to haul your boat from your cabin to the lake and get old in style drinking on your front porch and don't carry one worry about the traffic on the #2!

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Dodge RAM 2500 diesel, 21" 5th wheel, 10' utility trailer, 16' canoe, Yamaha Grizzly 550 ATV. This is a light load. I can drive in the mountains passing slowpokes with ease. Same engine in a 2500 as in a 3500, so power is not a concern. The difference in a 2500 vs 3500 is in the suspension. For a 5th wheel and boat trailer I would stay with a 2500. For a heavy camper trailer in the box, I recommend a 3500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tow.jpg (33.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by CNP; 03-04-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Not sure about your blood pressure but mine is really high and I get upset very easily.

Dealing with the people at lakes and rivers close to the big city - and the highways used to get there can be a stroke inducing event.

If you are mellow, can handle backing up three miles of traffic to haul your b-train down the road, and like to set up camp next to Johhny Turbo Diesel and his first oil patch pay cheque it might work really good for you.

But, chances are you will want to get farther away from the big city. Maybe see the Yukon Territory. Check out BC interior. Set yourself up for minimum stress and ease of movement.

I suggest a bumper pull trailer just big enough for your wife not to kill you and a roof load system for your fishing boat on your pick up truck.

Campers are awesome but they make driving into town to get milk for your coffee really annoying. Once you start looking into campers you will discover how heavy they really are. Plus they require a long box to get one with any decent space.

If you stay small with the trailer and get a boat just big enough not to die in a windstorm, you will have plenty of money left over to get a hotel every now and then when your wife just can't frigging stand another night in the fart shack. Your pick up bed will be mostly free to put your boxes of beer and dead deer into. Your diesel won't need to be longer then a school bus and hauling the trailer will be bearable even on busy long weekends.

Just never forget the cost of a diesel truck and nice trailer is a pretty hefty down payment on a vacation property close to your dream lake in BC or Saskatchewan. Buy a cabin in the woods and a Jetta TDI to drive there. Buy a 1979 Chev 1500 to haul your boat from your cabin to the lake and get old in style drinking on your front porch and don't carry one worry about the traffic on the #2!

Good luck!
With respect Sneeze ,I disagree on a few points you made.

-there are many northern lakes that have alot of room and very few people
-any boat that fits on top of a camper won't be safe on big lakes
-a cabin at a lake means you're stuck/obligated to go to that lake only
-79 chevy is a gas guzzling pig and the money you spend filling it up will easily make a payment
-a jetta and a 79 means more insurance and more maintenance
-a bumper pull is not an easy trailer to back in a tight spot,alot of weight hanging way off the back,they can also be prone to whipping in the wind ,you also save overall length with a 5th wheel,not to mention being able to jacknife it almost 90 degrees to park etc.

Like I stated I have owned a camper,bumper pull and 2 5th wheels.Once you pull a 5th wheel you will wonder why you didn't get one earlier.It might be a big investment but you will have them for many yrs to come.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoPerchWrestling View Post
With respect Sneeze ,I disagree on a few points you made.

-there are many northern lakes that have alot of room and very few people
-any boat that fits on top of a camper won't be safe on big lakes
-a cabin at a lake means you're stuck/obligated to go to that lake only
-79 chevy is a gas guzzling pig and the money you spend filling it up will easily make a payment
-a jetta and a 79 means more insurance and more maintenance
-a bumper pull is not an easy trailer to back in a tight spot,alot of weight hanging way off the back,they can also be prone to whipping in the wind ,you also save overall length with a 5th wheel,not to mention being able to jacknife it almost 90 degrees to park etc.

Like I stated I have owned a camper,bumper pull and 2 5th wheels.Once you pull a 5th wheel you will wonder why you didn't get one earlier.It might be a big investment but you will have them for many yrs to come.
This.. Although I don't think a bumper pull is harder to backup vs a 5er, just different. But I do agree that a bumper pull trailer needs a proper WD/sway hitch to tow properly.

I personally love that I can see/visit many different places with my RV. Being stuck in one location (ie. vacation property), is something I will do when my kids don't want to come with me anymore.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh god my brain hurts after that! LOL So much to consider. But good stuff. Thank you.
ROFL...do you regret your OP yet?

Lets see, so far we have:
  • Get a diesel dually, it's the only way
  • You're good with a new half ton gasser.
  • Get a camper, that's the only solution
  • An older bumper pull is what you want
  • Nonsense, 5th wheel and B-train. anything else is stupid
  • Class A motorhome is always nice
  • Trailer??? You should learn how to camp like a real man, with a tarp and a big knife
  • Pffft...that's not what you want. You want a cabin!

Good luck, Oki!
Old 03-04-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidava25 View Post
Thanks for your input.
For one thing, I said "TO ME, it's all about the engine." For you it obviously is not, and for the OP it may not be either and that's fine. I've got enough miles behind me not to be too concerned about what others think is important. I'm simply sharing what I've learned through experience.
Also, I don't think I suggested "driving like a maniac", but rather praised the ability of a Diesel engine to comfortably pull loads without an inordinate amount of stress.
Buy what you want, OP. And when you're done wheezing up a grade with the latest and greatest gas job, let us know what you think.
Not to worry. I appreciated your advice and I never took it as "forget about the importance of the vehicle hauling and towing specifications". And your comments DID get me wondering about diesel. I'd never seriously considered it because of my perception that it would involve a huge jump in price.

Lots of great advice here. I'm vey appreciative and it' given me a lot to consider. I think I'll move on the truck first, and I'm thinking of getting something that will give me the most flexibility moving forward, which is probably a 3500/350 (yes yes, basing it mainly on the capacities on the info plate, not the number in chrome on the side of the vehicle ) Sounds like diesl would be even better if I'm willing to handle the price jump. I've also heard that they generally last longer. Don't know if that is true.

Also thinking it won't be my everyday use vehicle. I'll keep running my 2007 Rav4 until it dies and then pick up something equally small after. I only use my old truck now for hunting and trips to the dump. Some months it doesn't move at all. Add some travel and that will be it for the new(er) truck. Part of me thinks "that's a lot of money to just be sitting there in the driveway collecting snow or dust", but then I suppose it can last 20 years if I'm only driving it 10,000k a year or less.

Then I think... would parking 350 and driving a small vehicle every day really be cheaper than just driving the 350 every day, spending more on gas but less on insurance and upkeep on two vehicles??? and then I get more confused and decide I need a drink.

Ah screw it. I should just get this...
Old 03-04-2016, 02:04 PM

You may also consider a pop up truck camper for less weight, more aerodynamic and not top heavy.

image.jpg
Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WinMag View Post
You may also consider a pop up truck camper for less weight, more aerodynamic and not top heavy.

Attachment 118996
I saw one at the Boat and Sportsman's show and that is what got me going in the first place. I thought it would be great. Lower weight AND less wind resistant. My wife would have to get used to a bathroom wall that ends 5 feet up, and only a curtain after that. That was about the only drawback I could see. Well along with the usual camper drawbacks of wanting to get it off your truck so you don't have to carry it around with you.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Gee, I never noticed. LOL

Seriously, thanks for the good advice. I particularly enjoyed the wife screaming to get out of the fart shack part! Reminds me of the time new bride wanted to come along while me and two buddies went rock climbing for the weekend 30 years ago. 4 of us in a tent trailer. She never asked to come along again, and still refers to the farting and trying to keep her face near the open window screen.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Truck campers are okay if your hauling a boat make sure you have a front hitch for backing in the lake and never let your wife give you directions if you don't have one.
Just after you get leveled and set up there will always be the need to go to the store, pick up the kids or go back to your boat at the launch 2 miles away. Your truck is the only vehicle you have, breaking camp to go pick up bait or something is the drawback of truck campers.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I saw one at the Boat and Sportsman's show and that is what got me going in the first place. I thought it would be great. Lower weight AND less wind resistant. My wife would have to get used to a bathroom wall that ends 5 feet up, and only a curtain after that. That was about the only drawback I could see. Well along with the usual camper drawbacks of wanting to get it off your truck so you don't have to carry it around with you.
A couple things to keep in mind is RV's with any sort of canvas walls will have greatly reduced heat retention. In other words, your furnace will run ALOT more than vs a full hard wall construction (ie use lots of propane). So consider when you want to camp (winter, spring, fall? or just summer?). Also if it rains while the RV is extended, you must dry the canvas out after it stops (which is usually at home).

One other thing to keep in mind, is some campgrounds restrict canvas RV's due to wildlife.

I'm not trying to push you one way or the other, just realize the pros/cons of each type.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:

• Trailer??? You should learn how to camp like a real man, with a tarp and a big knife

Good luck, Oki!
yeah, still confused, maybe more so. But I also feel like I've learned a lot. A few things brought up I had never even thought about before. I just have to get clear on what I really want. And also take my wife to an RV place and let her try everything out. She might say "hell no, this is too small" to a camper. OR she might not even like a trailer and I end up buying a nice 1500 I drive every day, a boat, and when we get away we stay in hotels or cabins. Who knows? Personally, I like the tarp and big knife option. I've slept under picnic tables in campsites before, and I wasn't even drunk (well hardly).
Old 03-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
A bit confused, would the wife have to get used to showering partially in the open or seeing you shower in the open?
Old 03-04-2016, 03:10 PM

Another thing to check when you buy a truck camper check the furnace running, mine sounded like 747 taking off nobody could sleep through that. I liked the old gravity heaters much better than the fan forced.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Good luck!
And how does B training back traffic up for 3 miles. I set the cruise on 118 and drive. (In a 110 zone) I'm mellow but when some idiot is in the hammer lane doing 100 my blood pressure goes up. Lol
Old 03-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not to worry. I appreciated your advice and I never took it as "forget about the importance of the vehicle hauling and towing specifications". And your comments DID get me wondering about diesel. I'd never seriously considered it because of my perception that it would involve a huge jump in price.

Lots of great advice here. I'm vey appreciative and it' given me a lot to consider. I think I'll move on the truck first, and I'm thinking of getting something that will give me the most flexibility moving forward, which is probably a 3500/350 (yes yes, basing it mainly on the capacities on the info plate, not the number in chrome on the side of the vehicle ) Sounds like diesl would be even better if I'm willing to handle the price jump. I've also heard that they generally last longer. Don't know if that is true.

Also thinking it won't be my everyday use vehicle. I'll keep running my 2007 Rav4 until it dies and then pick up something equally small after. I only use my old truck now for hunting and trips to the dump. Some months it doesn't move at all. Add some travel and that will be it for the new(er) truck. Part of me thinks "that's a lot of money to just be sitting there in the driveway collecting snow or dust", but then I suppose it can last 20 years if I'm only driving it 10,000k a year or less.

Then I think... would parking 350 and driving a small vehicle every day really be cheaper than just driving the 350 every day, spending more on gas but less on insurance and upkeep on two vehicles??? and then I get more confused and decide I need a drink.

Ah screw it. I should just get this...
You can use a gas job but you will sacrifice lots,mileage,power/tq,reliability

A diesel is built heavy duty to pull and stop
Old 03-04-2016, 04:36 PM

I put my camper on a 22' car hauler. Have enough room behind the camper for 4 quads or 3 sleds and have delta boxes on the front and sides for tons of storage. Get a aluminum fishing boat and put it on top of the camper, a bit of a pain in the azz but best of all worlds and no B train. And you would still have the box of the truck. Those drop in campers are HEAVY, it sucked having it in the box
Old 03-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I put my camper on a 22' car hauler. Have enough room behind the camper for 4 quads or 3 sleds and have delta boxes on the front and sides for tons of storage. Get a aluminum fishing boat and put it on top of the camper, a bit of a pain in the azz but best of all worlds and no B train. And you would still have the box of the truck. Those drop in campers are HEAVY, it sucked having it in the box
LET'S SEE A PIC
Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Good luck, Oki!
Classic AO. Hilarious
Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Classic AO. Hilarious
LOL I knew what to expect. After all, I've seen plenty of "Which rifle should I buy for big game hunting in Alberta" threads. Still really enjoying and valuing everyone's contributions. And hey, when is the last time a thread went 4+ pages without a pizzing match?

One other question... Now I know the answer depends on a whole bunch of different factors, but assuming no super hard driving, regular maintenance, occasional recreational towing within all specification limits, few trips into the mountains.... how many km's might you expect out of a diesel 350/3500 versus a gas model 350/3500 before things start going and you have to sell it or replace the engine or transmission? How long would you reasonably expect it to last? Talking kms, not time.

Last edited by Okotokian; 03-04-2016 at 05:08 PM.