Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Did it get nasty?
I didn't think too bad. Two members were essentially calling everyone racist, couldn't believe anyone would stick up for Peters, how does he still have a job, etc., they were called out on it, asked when is it okay to use that language, if ever, instead of simply answering, basically said everybody knows how do you not (or some such), then there were fairly politely called out on that, calling everyone else down but won't/can't give their opinion. A few members called other members manhood into question, nothing to serious. Think it was basically the way it was headed, hadn't got there yet though IMO.

The Mods didn't consult me oddly enough, but it was probably the right move.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I didn't think too bad. Two members were essentially calling everyone racist, couldn't believe anyone would stick up for Peters, how does he still have a job, etc., they were called out on it, asked when is it okay to use that language, if ever, instead of simply answering, basically said everybody knows how do you not (or some such), then there were fairly politely called out on that, calling everyone else down but won't/can't give their opinion. A few members called other members manhood into question, nothing to serious. Think it was basically the way it was headed, hadn't got there yet though IMO.

The Mods didn't consult me oddly enough, but it was probably the right move.
Oh, that thread....

Where Peters did not call Akim a N word but told him to shut the N word music off....Got it...
Old 11-27-2019, 07:28 PM

Lots of blue seats in the rink.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:30 PM

Points in three straight, I'll take it, but I'd rather have two than one.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Points in three straight, I'll take it, but I'd rather have two than one.
Will take points for sure. OT win
Nice job boys, one at a time.
Now head home and keep it rolling.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

Go watch Sportsnet. Tree is having a PC..
Nice letter from Bill as well.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Go watch Sportsnet. Tree is having a PC..
Nice letter from Bill as well.
But, I don't like Sportsnet....
Old 11-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
But, I don't like Sportsnet....
I KNOW.... Stupid SN...

Its over, Tree just said he read the letter. Said they were looking under every stone to get to the bottom it all. Said he should have a update in the AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:47 PM

Good ol' TSN....

To Brad Treliving, GM

November 27, 2019

Brad:

Please accept this as a sincere apology to you, and the entire Calgary Flames organization, for offensive language I used in a professional setting a decade ago. I know that my comments have been the source of both anger and disappointment, and I understand why. Although it was an isolated and immediately regrettable incident, I take responsibility for what I said.

The statement was made in a moment of frustration and does not reflect my personal values. After the incident, I was rightfully challenged about my use of language, and I immediately returned to the dressing room to apologize to the team. I have regretted the incident since it happened, and I now apologize to anyone negatively affected by my words.

I am aware that there is no excuse for language that is offensive. I meant no disrespect in what I said, and it was not directed at anyone in particular. But, that doesn’t matter; it was hurtful and demeaning. I am truly sorry.

I accept the reality of my actions. I do believe that we must strive to act with integrity, and to take accountability for what we say and do. This letter is intended to do exactly that; I hope it is accepted as intended.

I appreciate the thorough review of this situation being undertaken by the Flames. It’s the right thing to do, and I support it fully.

Sincerely,

Bill Peters
Old 11-27-2019, 07:47 PM
Banned

Gutsy win. I think they just want to go home and get this all figured out.

Big Save Dave is on fire..
Old 11-27-2019, 08:03 PM

Brad does not look like he is having any fun here. As stated after this game, there is a lot of legal activity going on. Just formalities now, but will end up where we will know little on the full story. Bill said he returned to dressing room immediately, but the other day Akim was saying called to office and there was no apology, so who knows.

Lets hope the team can get a rest and keep the point streak going.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:13 PM

Bring on the Senators.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:43 PM
Banned

I look forward to JUST discussing the FLAMES on ice stuff...the side show is mind numbing and not fun to see in this thread
Old 11-27-2019, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Did it get nasty?
you had guys defending using the n word and defending the coach for using it. Others were debating who can use it and such... Apparently people think it's acceptable language and wanted to debate times it could be used appropriately.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:51 PM

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...gave-his-coach

A good read about the whole situation.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...gave-his-coach

A good read about the whole situation.
Excellent read. Way way way more there than just simple forgiveness of a coach.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Excellent read. Way way way more there than just simple forgiveness of a coach.
Jamie I may not be a flames fan but what happened to Bill Peters is wrong. Did he make mistakes, you bet. But who in this world hasn’t?? He is a good man that made some poor choices. It’s so easy to sewer someone after the fact. There is real evil in this world and it’s not Bill Peters.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jamie I may not be a flames fan but what happened to Bill Peters is wrong. Did he make mistakes, you bet. But who in this world hasn’t?? He is a good man that made some poor choices. It’s so easy to sewer someone after the fact. There is real evil in this world and it’s not Bill Peters.
Well put and I agree.
I was speaking of how reasonable Townshend is and how he understands that things in the past shouldn't effect the things of today. Lots of good examples there. The headline is misleading.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I agree with you in that I think Bill is a great guy and just said some things he shouldn't have.

My question is, how do we make an example of someone so that things like this don't happen again? If nothing happens to Bill, what message does that send?
Old 11-28-2019, 07:13 AM

Default And there ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
I agree with you in that I think Bill is a great guy and just said some things he shouldn't have.

My question is, how do we make an example of someone so that things like this don't happen again? If nothing happens to Bill, what message does that send?
Boom! There is the HUGE lefty flaw right there...... sorry but imma gonna pounce here.

You want a guy to change, you want people to change.... so WE MAKE AN EXAMPLE of HIM?!?!?!

Wrong... wrong .... sooo wrong and actually does the exact opposite of what you intend. This is the key problem to most political correct movements.

The reason a certain politician harps on the phrase ‘witch hunt’ is that political correct retribution acts are sometimes ex’s fly that.

A disproportionate punishment..... a witch hunt in effect... especially the burning part,

Two wrongs do not make a right my friend.

‘An eye for an eye makes the world blind’.

If you want to effect change. Read Nelson Mandela’s ideas..... pretty smart stuff.

Coach makes the appropriate apologies. Makes some form of restitution.

Then let him continue on.

Go FLAMES!

Only time imma sayin dat. Cause I feel for ya guys.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-28-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Boom! There is the HUGE lefty flaw right there...... sorry but imma gonna pounce here.

You want a guy to change, you want people to change.... so WE MAKE AN EXAMPLE of HIM?!?!?!

Wrong... wrong .... sooo wrong and actually does the exact opposite of what you intend. This is the key problem to most political correct movements.

The reason a certain politician harps on the phrase ‘witch hunt’ is that political correct retribution acts are sometimes ex’s fly that.

A disproportionate punishment..... a witch hunt in effect... especially the burning part,

If you want to effect change. Read Nelson Mandela’s ideas..... pretty smart stuff.

Go FLAMES!

Those are all great points, and I don't disagree with any of it. Thanks for the well thought out reply (instead of personal attacks)

I think this sort of discussion/dialogue is important in making those changes you speak of. I was just asking questions to see what sort of ideas others had.

I'm in neither the "fire him and ruin his career" camp, nor the "who cares" camp. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out
Old 11-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Go FLAMES!

I agree with everything you say except the Go Flames part. Very well thought out, good perspective, made me even think a little different. Thanks Bessie

BW
Old 11-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Go FLAMES!

Great post!!!!!
Old 11-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Banned

Bessie.. You really should think about running for public office.

No real news today other than the basic denial of peters explanation. Not sure what that guys final game is. What does he want out of all this? He got his apology.. My guess is that he is looking for a book deal or wants to be the next Kapernick. Is Nike looking to hire?

One thing that will come out. Either Bill is lying about apologizing or Akim is. Bill working again in the NHL will be riding on that fact check.

Always follow the $$$$.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Bessie.. You really should think about running for public office.

No real news today other than the basic denial of peters explanation. Not sure what that guys final game is. What does he want out of all this? He got his apology...
He got his apology???? You sure about that???? All I got out of that letter was an apology to the Calgary Flames and to Brad Treliving. Not once was Akim Aliu’s name mentioned in that letter from Peters. Peters is apologizing to the people that employ him not to the people/person that the initial racial comments were directed towards. Akim Aliu deserves an in person apology from Peters. Man up and do it the proper way Bill.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
He got his apology???? You sure about that???? All I got out of that letter was an apology to the Calgary Flames and to Brad Treliving. Not once was Akim Aliu’s name mentioned in that letter from Peters. Peters is apologizing to the people that employ him not to the people/person that the initial racial comments were directed towards. Akim Aliu deserves an in person apology from Peters. Man up and do it the proper way Bill.
Keep in kind Peters didn't actually call Akim anything, merely said a slur in his presence, one that was likely being said repeatedly in the music Akim was playing, and he made it very clear he already apologized to him. Are we to go around apologizing on the decade anniversary of every offending action we do?
Old 11-28-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Keep in kind Peters didn't actually call Akim anything, merely said a slur in his presence, one that was likely being said repeatedly in the music Akim was playing, and he made it very clear he already apologized to him. Are we to go around apologizing on the decade anniversary of every offending action we do?
Hey that’s trudopes job apologizing for ancient history.

I think this thread should stay on hockey so admin doesn’t shut it down.

There as many opinions on this as there are azzholes in this world. This is a good thread for Flames hockey. Let’s keep it to that please.

BW
Old 11-28-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Once again, Do I excuse his words? No....

He did not call him nor direct the N word towards Akim but told him in these words to shut the N music off....

Should Bill be subject to all the backlash he is facing in the media?

I believe this is such a double standard where black on black can call each other the N word and above all, the RAP music using the word continuosly...

And what bothers me is he is not even a Black african american....And offended by the N word is unbelievable....

Last edited by kevinhits; 11-28-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:51 PM

Take it from an Oilers fan that had their thread nuked last year... you guys are having the same arguments that got the "who the new coach?" thread erased.

Then where would I go to poke fun a the Flames?
Old 11-28-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Take it from an Oilers fan that had their thread nuked last year... you guys are having the same arguments that got the "who the new coach?" thread erased.

Then where would I go to poke fun a the Flames?
Just start a new one like you guys did last year