Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
We needed a win from behind. If anything, just to show we could do it. Too many games giving up the 1st goal, I think they said tonight the Oilers were the worst in the league for that.

3 things I see adversely affecting the players readiness for puck drop

1. Warm up sucks
2. Coaching
3. Player leadership isn't where it needs to be

Ever watch Connor's press interviews and then wonder how the hell does he get his team motivated?

Gretzky openly admits Messier ran the room. I don't know if Connor has a Messier type voice backing him right now. It is hard to imagine Draisaitl as that kind of voice in the room.
Connor's a quiet leader for sure. Leads on the ice. Like Sakic did in Colorado. Trying to think if the Avalanche at the time had a 'strong voice' in the room. I don't know if Forsberg was that guy. Lemieux? Probably the closest guy the Oilers have to a loud voice in there is Smith. But he's on the shelf a lot.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:13 PM
Banned

I was kind of hoping Duncan Keith would step up and be the VOICE in the room, based on his playoff experiences
Old 12-20-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
3 things I see adversely affecting the players readiness for puck drop

1. Warm up sucks
2. Coaching
3. Player leadership isn't where it needs to be
Couldn’t disagree more. The majority of bad starts can be attributed to the goalies letting in a brutal goal that NHL starting calibre goalies don’t let in. You get behind in the game which forces the team to play differently not to mention the mind games it plays on the team particularly when it’s early in the first period. There have been a few games where the boys had no legs but that’s going to happen in a 82 game Olympic condensed season. Goalies need to stop bleeding 1-2 weak ones per game, it’s brutal.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Couldn’t disagree more. The majority of bad starts can be attributed to the goalies letting in a brutal goal that NHL starting calibre goalies don’t let in. You get behind in the game which forces the team to play differently not to mention the mind games it plays on the team particularly when it’s early in the first period. There have been a few games where the boys had no legs but that’s going to happen in a 82 game Olympic condensed season. Goalies need to stop bleeding 1-2 weak ones per game, it’s brutal.
The goalies are players too, and everything I said applies to them as well.

And yes the weak goals are a big factor, but they are certainly not the only big factor. I have only seen a complete 60 minute effort a couple times this year and I haven't missed a game yet.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:37 AM

That 1st goal being let in is a huge factor.
Oilers are 10 and 0 when scoring first.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The goalies are players too, and everything I said applies to them as well.

And yes the weak goals are a big factor, but they are certainly not the only big factor. I have only seen a complete 60 minute effort a couple times this year and I haven't missed a game yet.
Why is Schwartz still a goalie coach with this team? He's been hanging around for 6 or 7 years and our goal tending other than Talbot for a short period has been suspect. Coaching at this position needs to be addressed.

BW
Old 12-20-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Why is Schwartz still a goalie coach with this team? He's been hanging around for 6 or 7 years and our goal tending other than Talbot for a short period has been suspect. Coaching at this position needs to be addressed.

BW
I agree 100%. I mean look at organizations with good goalie coaches. No matter who is in net they have great goaltending . Washington would probably be the best example.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Two more on covid protocol, Nurse and Lagasson. Looks like games postponed until at least December 27 vs the Flames.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
Absolutely!
Old 12-29-2021, 04:27 PM

Smith is confirmed tonight, should be interesting. He is either going to stand on his head tonight, or get lit up. Missing 26 games and his comments to the media is it still doesn't feel 100% but nothing does so he just has to deal with it.

I believe he was close to returning before the shutdown, so hopefully the few extra days off will help his cause.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:34 PM

Have some hockey to watch.

Go Oilers go!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-29-2021, 06:51 PM

Keep that Samorukov and his beer league effort off the ice please…..
Old 12-29-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Have some hockey to watch.

Go Oilers go!
Enjoy it while you can, before the season gets put on hold due to Omicron.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:09 PM

2-1 Go OIL!!
Old 12-29-2021, 08:42 PM

I must say I’m enjoying watching the St. Louis game much more then I would have watching Canada beat on Germany. Just saying.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:10 PM

Oilers not getting much love for their usage of Samorukov last night.

Samorukov was making his NHL debut last night flew his wife in to watch his first game. Played 2:28 in the first period and then was stapled to the bench. He did make two mistakes, the first one I think was more on Bouchard for turning the puck. Samorukov did make a questionable decision, but he almost broke up the 3 on 1 he was left with.

Second one he just bit on the fake, Bouchard did not do much to help him after he got undressed. Foegle(at least I think it was Foegle, was in position to break up the pass on the 2 on 1 so Bouchard could have committed to the shooter, instead of just stopping in front of Smith.

In my opinion they should have probably put him with someone with a little more experience on the back end to help him out a bit. The game is 50% mental, and the Oilers probably messed with his mental game more then anything. Also interesting how Tippet said it was Playfair's decision to shorten the bench. Shouldn't Tippet have had some say since he was the head coach. Pretty sure Tippet is going to be fired soon. 2 games out of the last 9 they won he wasn't behind the bench, and he is getting crucified in Edmonton currently.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-...kov-nhl-debut/

highlights if you want to see them. The two errors are right at the start

https://www.nhl.com/video/recap-stl-...912/c-10046654
Old 12-31-2021, 11:12 AM

Is it that difficult to find US anthem singers that actually know the words to O’Canada. 3rd game in a row it’s been butchered.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:33 AM

Sigh………

Smith……
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-31-2021, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Is it that difficult to find US anthem singers that actually know the words to O’Canada. 3rd game in a row it’s been butchered.
Nobody has done the correct version for quite a few years now.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Sigh………

Smith……
Ole leaky just doing his thing.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:51 PM

yup that sucks

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:04 PM

What was up with that LONGEST review in history? Curious what you guys thought on that was?
Old 12-31-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
What was up with that LONGEST review in history? Curious what you guys thought on that was?
It should have been a whistle, I would have been ****ed if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:30 PM

Three of the next four Oiler home games have been postponed due to building occupancy restrictions. The Ottawa game is still on for now. Not sure why. Number of tickets sold is less than 50% capacity?
Old 01-01-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
Three of the next four Oiler home games have been postponed due to building occupancy restrictions. The Ottawa game is still on for now. Not sure why. Number of tickets sold is less than 50% capacity?
Yup we are still hiding under the covers here north of the 49th while this Islanders game today and yesterdays Devils game shows/showed it’s business as usual down there…
Old 01-01-2022, 02:22 PM

Whelp

Easy to see our big boys r not feelin it in todays match.

1 shot in the 3rd period

Ugh…..
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-01-2022, 03:00 PM

Give up the first goal 0 - 11 this year, even when they get ahead they find a way to loose it in OT 2 games in a row now don't know what the problem is but it's not good boy's

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:03 PM

Oilers playing like they think they won’t make the playoffs.

They seem to lack energy and passion.

I’m scratching my head. They need a captain to kick some egos and explain it takes a team to win.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Oilers playing like they think they won’t make the playoffs.

They seem to lack energy and passion.

I’m scratching my head. They need a captain to kick some egos and explain it takes a team to win.
I thought that is the reason, they brought in Duncan Keith?
Old 01-01-2022, 09:55 PM
Banned

......you know you're on the spoilers thread when they start moaning about the national anthem not being sung right! nothing better to say?

oh well, maybe we'll be in the same boat when the flames finally start playing more often
Closed Thread