Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
I've been here 19 years pay taxes here and call this my home. My kids were raised here (not born here) however and they call alberta home.

My son and I fly a Newfie flag on the back of our trucks, not out of disrepect for Alberta we are 5th and 6th generation Newfies while we live here and both love Alberta it's just a little respect to our fore fathers that we also respect their way of life and keep their heritage alive.

I consider this my home and actually feel homesick and miss it when I'm away.
My son took an oath to "Serve and Protect" the fine folks of Calgary. So please don't be offended by a sticker on the back of his truck. The uniform he wears shows that he loves this place enough to put his life on the line every day to protect and serve "Alberta".
So if you love Alberta and she has given you so much why not hang her flag? When I see a newfie flag it just reminds me of the ones I have dealt with that like to complain about Alberta and how great home is.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
So where do I bring the bedsheets, cross and diesel fuel? Are you the Kleagle in your area?

Sorry Canadian First, Albertan second.... My father was born here, my grandfather was born here did his service in WW2, and my great grandfather was born here (before it was Alberta) and did his service in WW1, and the Boer War, then before that was my great great grandfather who moved here from Red River....

BTW how are you a 5th generation Albertan.... maybe you need to read history Alberta was born in 1905...

No matter who we are we have all come from somewhere else.... or our ancestor's have....

Now on my grandmother's side.... that is aboriginal.... so who really is an Albertan?
Wow is that how you do it where you are from?
I do not need a history lesson from you as I am well aware when Alberta became a province but alot of people probably do not have a clue.
Was your grandma born in Alberta?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I've been in Alberta since 2001. It has changed a lot in that time.

The Albertan and Canadian problems are the same. It's not that the newcomers are here , it's that the newcomers try to turn their new place into their old place pretty quickly.

While the old ways, may not have been perfect, it's hard to see much positive in the new stuff.

People should realize that this is Alberta, not Quebec, or B.C. or Manitoba, or Manila or Hong Kong or Peru, or Mexico. If that's what you're looking for, quit whining and call your travel agent.
Thanks Redfrog, someone who gets it. Someone who is happy to be here and appreciates what they have here.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Default A dying breed ...

30 yrs ago I was told ,all the BS ain't on the outside of the boots.

I phoned my travel agent ,she tells me I can go back tomorrow

But don't leave it to long ...Apparently after Octobre 19,2015

All flights back east are booked for the next six months ....

You can always tell a true Albertan , just not that much ....
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
If I spoted a Scottish flag in my back window would people be offended as well?
With out one yer a pretend red neck. Im so lost ,I have a daughter born here, I work here and pay accordingly. I hate no trapassing signs. I love the outdoors . Never will own a jacked up truck .
I ve worked oil field , facility , construction , residential home construction. I take my hat off in doors unless in a public place, always use sir, mame. Ask permission to hunt or fish . I belive in helping others first . I know what "speed limit" means. I know that the little wand on the left of the steering column is for. I ride horse correctly , ladies first , please, thank you and your welcome. Ive walked more miles of most of the local rivers than I can remember ...in solitude. Naw your right im not from here im from canada.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
With out one yer a pretend red neck. Im so lost ,I have a daughter born here, I work here and pay accordingly. I hate no trapassing signs. I love the outdoors . Never will own a jacked up truck .
I ve worked oil field , facility , construction , residential home construction. I take my hat off in doors unless in a public place, always use sir, mame. Ask permission to hunt or fish . I belive in helping others first . I know what "speed limit" means. I know that the little wand on the left of the steering column is for. I ride horse correctly , ladies first , please, thank you and your welcome. Ive walked more miles of most of the local rivers than I can remember ...in solitude. Naw your right im not from here im from canada.
Very interesting post. The way your post reads it's almost as if you're implying that Albertans lack all those virtues. I know it's not what you meant, just funny.

Last edited by rugatika; 08-04-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpatiolantern View Post
An Albertan is someone who takes pride in himself, in what he does, and where he's going. He's the one up before the sun and home after the stars, getting it done despite adversity. He pays his way, and earns his keep. He's what we should all strive to be, in the greatest province of the greatest country.
Slow long clap....
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM

i'm a born in alberta albertan , and nothing is more annoying to me than the newfie flag in back window or on a front license plate. if you love and miss newfoundland that much your in the wrong place . i miss the days when the traffic was light and service was good. i hate this oil boom .
Old 08-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
i'm a born in alberta albertan , and nothing is more annoying to me than the newfie flag in back window or on a front license plate. if you love and miss newfoundland that much your in the wrong place . i miss the days when the traffic was light and service was good. i hate this oil boom .
Thank god there's people from other provinces and counties here. Remember that film "DELIVERANCE"..
Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 PM

I dearly miss my Alberta from before the oil and gas boom. A nice quite place to enjoy and raise a family, since the 90's it's become more of a me first rat race, led by all these so called Albertans. Money does funny things to people.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Alberta

Born in BC and raised for the most part in the interior at that. Served my country and have spent time in almost every province and territory in this Great Country. Have spent the last 30 years in Southern Alberta and along with my wife, daughter and other family members call it home. I have this on my ipod and it says it all, especially when I'm coming back from a ride to some other place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhkcjxLCm8Y
Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Thank god there's people from other provinces and counties here. Remember that film "DELIVERANCE"..
I'm not sure that 2 or 3 million people would be cause for worry about a genetic bottleneck.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Banned

That never took Long to turn to a purity test.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Got tired of waiting for BeeGuy to start the "What's an Albertan?" thread.

Be interested to hear what everyone's definition of an Albertan is. Is there such a thing as an "Albertan", was there ever? A cultural identity that has been lost in time, or a figment of some people's imagination? Are we a bunch of rednecked biggots driving jacked up diesels?

(By the way, I don't think it has anything to do with how long you've been here...I'm a transplant from Saskatchewan myself just a mere 20 years ago).

At this point in time I am here and participate with people in the neighbourhood.

Both were I live and visit.

As for administrators they are a necessity because not all neighbours get along.

What is an Albertan?

Balanced individuals who can contribute to community and friends?

When business and politics enter the structure someone who can still see community and friends?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 PM

A true Albertan in someone who sees humor and attributes no blame to Premiere Ralph Klein going to a homeless shelter drunk, challenging the men to go to work and throwing money at them.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM

I have thought a lot about the question in the past few years.

Being an Albertan requires two things:

1. A significant distrust of government and the desire for as little of it in your life as possible.

2. Knowing you will still be here after NEP 2 to pick up the pieces. When you say "back home" - that home is somewhere in Alberta.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauna View Post
wow ..do u have any Alberta draws for this year
i sure don't , i think some "dual resident " got mine
Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 PM

I'm a new Albertan, and plan to become an old Albertan
So far...
I think it's like being in Texas: nice people that love their oil, their farms and their right to bear arms. I totally love it here. Even in the winter.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
I'm a new Albertan, and plan to become an old Albertan
So far...
I think it's like being in Texas: nice people that love their oil, their farms and their right to bear arms. I totally love it here. Even in the winter.
No its nothing like texas, high literacy, firstly. Low murder rate in our cities, cant see /smell half section feed lotz from the 2. Cant think of a hotel in alberta that wont let you out after 2200.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Guess my memories of 1980's TX are past their due date
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
No its nothing like texas, high literacy, firstly. Low murder rate in our cities, cant see /smell half section feed lotz from the 2. Cant think of a hotel in alberta that wont let you out after 2200.
spent a lot of time in Texas????...or??.....
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post

Being an Albertan requires two things:

1. A significant distrust of government and the desire for as little of it in your life as possible.

2. Knowing you will still be here after NEP 2 to pick up the pieces. When you say "back home" - that home is somewhere in Alberta.
first post to turn the thread neatly upside down. way to go!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 PM

Personally I would say anyone who self identifies as an Albertan and has a genuine interest in the betterment of the province.

Legally, long enough to get a licence and able to fulfill the requirements to have your primary residence in the province.

Much like Canada, I think there are new comers who provide more than the 'originals' do. It all comes down to making it better for the next generation.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Banned

We are so young in the history of the world. And it has been mentioned in several of the contributors in this thread.

Now for something completely different.

NFL
Chicago
Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh wins?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
PM me,I`ll take you bass fishing.And Cliff does make some fine jerky.Hell of a nice guy too.
Thanks kindly will give you a shout when we get timing figured out.

Mack
Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpatiolantern View Post
An Albertan is someone who takes pride in himself, in what he does, and where he's going. He's the one up before the sun and home after the stars, getting it done despite adversity. He pays his way, and earns his keep. He's what we should all strive to be, in the greatest province of the greatest country.
Dang. Well said.

Colin
Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Angry Albertans

As a long time resident of the CNP I have seen drastic changes in traffic patterns of late. For sure there are too many who come to the Pass area with souped up half tons and quads and off-road motorcycles and side by sides to tear up the local terrain. Every accessible steep hill seems to have a climbing scar on it. Some local pipelines have been exposed because of all- terrain traffic. Mother nature is suffering and something drastic needs to be done. Perhaps random camping here needs to be stopped.

Too much money equals more vehicular toys and more environmental damage. Too much usage to enforce the rules. Should these vehicles be banned for recreational use? In my opinion, there are too many of these toys because of our bursting economy and lack of respect by our bulging population and too little regulation. Get some balls Sustainable Resources!

Seems to me that Albertans define themselves by speed, ignorance of nature's fragility and lack of respect for fellow campers who come to relax and not be reckless weekend warriors. Not all but an awful lot fit this mold. I think it is really a shame what is being done by Albertans! What a way to de defined!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:53 AM

I think Alberta has lost it's indentity, or maybe it's changed. But I think most any "albertan" would agree, it used to be a better place than it is now.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Maybe a Albertan should be defined as someone who believes if it can't be sold, it has no value.
I suspect that some poor pilgrim from Sask will appear at the border and peer down into the hole and wondered where Alberta went.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Just spent 10 days in BC ran into a fair amount of A......holes on the road,was shocked when we started to notice all the license plates were from Alberta. Found BC drivers very courteous
It was so nice to walk down a street and have someone smile and knod or say hi instead of asking me for change.l may not know what an Albertian is but I know I wish they were more like a British Columbian.......

Mack
Ha!!! was just down there and most of the Alberta plates jack up truck are park on the residential area drive ways. Go figure.