Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrider2011 View Post
Oh yeah its doing really well, NOT!!!!!! If you really think the calf market is strong, giver gas and sell sell sell An i wont touch the other as its been speculted already.
You really don't know what happened to the calf market today do you?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
You really don't know what happened to the calf market today do you?
Well enlighten us all Kind Sir ,,
Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 PM

From what I am rerading there is nothing spectacular,,Unless you have some inside insight.

http://www.albertabeef.org/producers/dailycattlereport/
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
From what I am rerading there is nothing spectacular,,Unless you have some inside insight.

600 lb steers to $1.70 is bad in what way?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Had lunch with a food friend that buys several thousand head of feeders every fall. Prices are up a dime over tuesday on all feeders. I guess that's bad news to some.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM

You misread the price 600@145 and 5 weights@170 is what I see.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
You misread the price 600@145 and 5 weights@170 is what I see.
Sorry, still just as good as last year.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
so...the guys from Brazil want to buy the largest beef packing plant in Canada...and not a peep?...the Chinese want to buy an oil co. and it's a 2 month federal investigation???...weird....

first it was lumber then the oil ..now it's our beef. slowly but surely they'll get to the grain ,the the water and then the rest....
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Sorry, still just as good as last year.
Your right just as good as last year, no increase, have you looked at the price of cull cows, since the ecoli bs. Steers should be a whole lot better than that in this day and age. hang on to your 600@1.70 beacuse it wont last.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 PM

It wouldn't mattter how good it is some people will always complain, someone will have more than you and some people don't think that is right. Life is way to short to always be negitive, believe me there's guys around here that are always bitching and complaining, I separate myself from these people and try to associate with the more positive guys. A persons world must get pretty small when you start thinking that two guys created BSE and tried to poison people with e-coli. The Nillson brothers are ruthless business men and I do believe what they have done is coming back to bite them. I also hope the beef business stays around forever, one thing I know for sure people need to eat and Ijust happen to produce food.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The whole nillson empire Bob lol you talk to anyone here in the central part of ab,, that are cattlemen none of them are too keen on nillsons
My father was a cattle buyer for Nilsson's Livestock for 12 years. They are a fair buyer and my father was always a fair man, maybe you had a bad expirence with them don't know.

And Old Man Bill he is a blast.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 10-18-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't mattter how good it is some people will always complain, someone will have more than you and some people don't think that is right. Life is way to short to always be negitive, believe me there's guys around here that are always bitching and complaining, I separate myself from these people and try to associate with the more positive guys. A persons world must get pretty small when you start thinking that two guys created BSE and tried to poison people with e-coli. The Nillson brothers are ruthless business men and I do believe what they have done is coming back to bite them. I also hope the beef business stays around forever, one thing I know for sure people need to eat and Ijust happen to produce food.
I am a producer as well, and have been for 30+ years, i have seen just about every thing in the cattle industry there is to see, been through the good and the bad. No matter how good we think we have it, the rug always gets pulled out from underneith us, one way or another. If not nillsons, it will be some one else,, Unfortunately nillsons are the ones with the target on their backs, I never said they brought BSE or ecoli in, It is just specualtions from around the country that havent alot a good to say about the Nillson bros empire and workings there of. They have created alot of enimies in the cattle industry. And Maybe this is their just desserts.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would like to add that the government and the Alberta ranchers have absolutely no business being in the beef packing business.
They produce it , why not pack it and look after it.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I would like to add that the government and the Alberta ranchers have absolutely no business being in the beef packing business.
When i was a kid we raised cattle,owned a slaughter house and the butcher shop in town. Dont see a problem with that. If someone didnt like our prices they shopped elsewhere. Prices had to be competitive so they wouldnt go elsewhere. Mind you that was many years ago but same would apply today.

I agree, i wouldnt want the govt. owning a part of it though.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
They produce it , why not pack it and look after it.
I know how to look after my cows and do a very good job of it, I know exactly nothing about beef packing and exporting. Would you want a lawer hooking up your furnace?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
When i was a kid we raised cattle,owned a slaughter house and the butcher shop in town. Dont see a problem with that. If someone didnt like our prices they shopped elsewhere. Prices had to be competitive so they wouldnt go elsewhere. Mind you that was many years ago but same would apply today.

I agree, i wouldnt want the govt. owning a part of it though.
Not to sound negative but how much beef did you export?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 AM

I think this will Hurt More than anyone thinks, maybe just the beginning.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4619806/
Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 AM

I agree Sunset, this is a hail storm best get them calves to town sooner rather than later. Mine are going on Thursday I hope I'm not to late
Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoValley View Post
I agree Sunset, this is a hail storm best get them calves to town sooner rather than later. Mine are going on Thursday I hope I'm not to late
Yup sell while its good,,because its not gonna last. I dont sell calves in the fall never have, I tend to finnish and rail. But thats just me.

Friend Of mine and another producer did the same as i for 40 + years,, and this spring he was worried about the prices going in the toilet, I sold his calves after putting them through the winter in the pens. Regrets it terribly,,he lost out on more than a 100 g. The only saving grace we have is have tons of hay and grass. Because I beleive the Shyte storm is coming.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Do you guys ever have a glass thats half full?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Do you guys ever have a glass thats half full?
Unfortunately In the cattle industry ,,we have to be gaurded, History repeats itself way to often.

And Honestly I hope I am wrong.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately In the cattle industry ,,we have to be gaurded, History repeats itself way to often.

And Honestly I hope I am wrong.
There is a lot of difference between guarded and negative. If history repeats its self way to often maybe it will repeat it self in a good way. There must have been something good that happened to you in the thirty plus years you've been in the business!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
There is a lot of difference between guarded and negative. If history repeats its self way to often maybe it will repeat it self in a good way. There must have been something good that happened to you in the thirty plus years you've been in the business!
Dont get me wrong , I have survived through all the highs and lows,, the good years just help us carry over the bad. if I didnt love the Business I wouldnt be in it,,its in my blood always will be. What I have problems with is having to rebuild to keep the wolves at bay every time the rug is yanked out from underneath us.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Not to sound negative but how much beef did you export?
Good point. Guess i didnt think this one through enough.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know how to look after my cows and do a very good job of it, I know exactly nothing about beef packing and exporting. Would you want a lawer hooking up your furnace?
Poor anology , no one said you personaly need to do it , what l meant was that if Ranchers of Alberta take pride in their product , then take steps to have it packaged by reponsible people .
A Govt run plant with Ranchers input would put a stop to private foriegn ownership thats ruining the reputation of Alberta beef.
Govt run with strict hygiene rules are the way to go , with a training program and full time daily inspections , run much like a military base , after all people safety is at risk here , so why not do it right.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Poor anology , no one said you personaly need to do it , what l meant was that if Ranchers of Alberta take pride in their product , then take steps to have it packaged by reponsible people .
A Govt run plant with Ranchers input would put a stop to private foriegn ownership thats ruining the reputation of Alberta beef.
Govt run with strict hygiene rules are the way to go , with a training program and full time daily inspections , run much like a military base , after all people safety is at risk here , so why not do it right.
The government is the answerThey would do a good jobLook at how well they handled the firearms registry.Just so you know the plant that is run by an American company is doing just fine.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 PM

xl is done anybody how thinks they will benefit from this full of e coli pellets the brothers while ruthless businessmen did not extend themselves for this sh#t storm , which got out of control by the cfia costing canadian beef producers , workers and the brothers countless millions of dollars and creating a opportunity jbs and brazil
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post
Lee Nilsson makes his money on margins. When cattle prices fluctuate meat prices stay fairly constant. Meaning when cattle prices are down like the last decade Lee makes big big big money, when cattle go up Lee makes not so much money. Don't think for one minute that if he thought he could manipulate the price of cattle that he wouldn't cause something like this himself. And the fact that the timing of this coincides with XL's labour negotiations is just icing on the cake! Oh not to mention that when all is said and done the government will step in and give poor poor Lee and nice big bailout package so that the farmers won't suffer.
exactly, your 100% right. those 2 make obscene money. last years cattle prices were threw the roof. i bet they saved a pile of money on the cattle they bought after the ecoli
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 PM

I dont really think there is a looser... Ive been making a better effort to buy beef from a farmer I met when I built a road past his place a few years back. Better beef, local guy making some money, food isn't shipped half way around the country going from feedlot/farm to auction to slaughter wharehouse grocery store etc
Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
I dont really think there is a looser... Ive been making a better effort to buy beef from a farmer I met when I built a road past his place a few years back. Better beef, local guy making some money, food isn't shipped half way around the country going from feedlot/farm to auction to slaughter wharehouse grocery store etc
Hmmm, I disagree Dantonsen. There is most certainly going to be losers from this storm. There just aren't enough people like you buying direct from the producers. The other shoe is going to drop soon I'm afraid. The demand for beef (which was shaky at best) is going to decrease as a result of buyer uncertainty. Prices WILL follow this downward trend due to the surplus of beef available. Basically, long run shows low beef prices. Not good I'm afraid