Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
jrs

Beauty ram. I bet that will be the biggest one taken out of that zone in about 50 years. Awesome photos. That range isn't all that far from Line Creek so probably a former BC mine resident there. Congratulations on a fine fine sheep. Wicked bases!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Wow, what a ram...that smile says it all. Congrats to all of you....good to see that kind of excitement.......Marco
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 PM

wow boys! theres a season to remember....i see it now , 15 years down the road and this story is still going strong. way to go!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Beauty ram. I bet that will be the biggest one taken out of that zone in about 50 years. Awesome photos. That range isn't all that far from Line Creek so probably a former BC mine resident there. Congratulations on a fine fine sheep. Wicked bases!
ya that is what we are thinking as well....
Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Awesome job guys im sure your dad and grandad were very proud to see that elk taken as your first big game animal what an acomplishment. have you put the tape on the ram? what do you guys figure he would score 180? or am i way off?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Alberta View Post
Awesome job guys im sure your dad and grandad were very proud to see that elk taken as your first big game animal what an acomplishment. have you put the tape on the ram? what do you guys figure he would score 180? or am i way off?
What did I miss, It was green scored at 197 1/4".
Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 PM

well my dad is proud for sure....as for my granddad..well i never met him...he died before i was born...but i am hoping he is happy for me.

as for the ram...green measurement puts him at 197 and 2/8
Old 09-27-2009, 10:07 PM

ya thats right ram crazy, he green scored 197 and 1/4 by an official B&C scorer, he has 17 inch bases and one side is 40 and 3/4 and the other is 41 and 1/2, well have to wait and see what the final score brings but im hoping he will still be in the 195-196 range, either way his mass is so incredible its insane, its pretty much impossible to sleep knowing that thing is sitting in my freezer, ive gotten up in the middle of the night just to make sure he is still there
Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 PM

Unreal ram boyz.. Well done..

That's a brute that you'll wear the soles off of many pairs of boots trying to beat.. !!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM

Default Wow

That is truely a monster sheep. Had to chuckle ksteed17 when you mentioned getting up in the middle of the night to check on him. I hunted that zone for many years and often wondered if any of those big boys from B.C. ever made it over to our side of the rocks. Guess your story officially answers it for me. Any idea how old he was? Well done and thanks for the story!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtWht View Post
That is truely a monster sheep. Had to chuckle ksteed17 when you mentioned getting up in the middle of the night to check on him. I hunted that zone for many years and often wondered if any of those big boys from B.C. ever made it over to our side of the rocks. Guess your story officially answers it for me. Well done and thanks for the story!
yup they do.....but not anymore...yup nothing in there..nothing at all...no need to head in there hahaha
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Congratulations on an awesome hunt boys! You should submit that story to Rob, Clash. It would look great in the mag. I believe AO has a contest every year for hunters of the year. You guys could definitely be in the running with that ram!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Awesome story and pictures congrats on the Elk and ram couple nice trophies even better eatting again Congrats two you both and thanks for sharing .I'm very impressed with all the hard work that went into , scouting your spots using the internet and asking questions , Honestly this couldnt of happen two a better group of guys in my opinion . You guys all 4 of you deserve a pat on the back . And make sure you submit this story to Alberta outdoorsmen . I bet Rob would Gladly throw that in the magazine .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 09-27-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Great story and great pic's. Congrats on your first elk...............oh yeah, what a RAM!!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:32 PM

OMG!!! That's a Toad!!! Congrats on your adventure and luck. That is an amazing ram.
Way to go!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:57 PM

There are two parts of the story missing, one of the lucky lynx we saw, and two when we got the ram back to camp Ksteed17 pulled out a measuring tape and measured the bases and it was 15" we were amazed and then MB stated that the tape started two inches from the end so the real measurement when done again properly was 17" and our jaws dropped.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 AM

Congratulations guys!! Fantastic hunt, story and pictures!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Great job guys, I hope I will be able to duplicate that story in the near future!!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Congrats to all of you great story.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 AM

Clash,

I vote this the best story of the year!!

Wow what I great hunt.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
There are two parts of the story missing, one of the lucky lynx we saw, and two when we got the ram back to camp Ksteed17 pulled out a measuring tape and measured the bases and it was 15" we were amazed and then MB stated that the tape started two inches from the end so the real measurement when done again properly was 17" and our jaws dropped.
very true thanks todd.....about 5 mins into our trip we came upon a beautiful lynx sitting right in the middle of the quad trail. KS pulled out his rifle and was about to drop him...finger on the trigger....but the other 3 of us had some reservations about taking the lynx. so ks gave into us and decided to not shoot it....he was pretty sad about it...but we told him that he just gave us good hun karma.....i am thinking we were right!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
very true thanks todd.....about 5 mins into our trip we came upon a beautiful lynx sitting right in the middle of the quad trail. KS pulled out his rifle and was about to drop him...finger on the trigger....but the other 3 of us had some reservations about taking the lynx. so ks gave into us and decided to not shoot it....he was pretty sad about it...but we told him that he just gave us good hun karma.....i am thinking we were right!!!
I am thinking you are VERY right to have stopped him from shooting the lynx. Wow....I'd hope that he realized how crazy the mistake was when he got home!! You guys did him a huge favour in stopping him....

Used to see a ton of lynx up at Athabasca when I was up there, and man it would be nice if they were legal to hunt at times!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM

Wow. It's amazing what can happen when everything goes right. A huge congrats to all four of the guys involved. What a way to break into big game hunting Clash. Very well done.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Wow, and with apologies to Joe Strummer you guys are "Magnificent Four"...as a bird hunter, I have also dreamed of stepping it up, congrats to all of you for learning and experiencing together...a lifetime of memories and enjoy the steaks...
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM

So Clash good buddy,
When are we going out for a little ram action?
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 AM

Congratulations,what a story. Wondering if you need anymore bestfriends.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Default Way to go!

Big Congrats Clash!

question: Did Paul score it 4 u?

Its funny how the rumour mill swirls... I've heard several version... LineCreek mine people have heard that someone 'herded' a mine sheep out of bounds, and then took him. Couldn't be further from the truth! Some oone will alwayts go 'sour grapes' on anything.

Sounds like most are pretty choked that one of 'their' sheep got taken. Most I suspect are speaking tongue in cheek!

Great pictures. I really wanna go bugling this year but I HAVE to spend all my time training the new bird dog.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Big Congrats Clash!

question: Did Paul score it 4 u?

Its funny how the rumour mill swirls... I've heard several version... LineCreek mine people have heard that someone 'herded' a mine sheep out of bounds, and then took him. Couldn't be further from the truth! Some oone will alwayts go 'sour grapes' on anything.

Sounds like most are pretty choked that one of 'their' sheep got taken. Most I suspect are speaking tongue in cheek!

Great pictures. I really wanna go bugling this year but I HAVE to spend all my time training the new bird dog.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
LOL!! I've ridden my ATV from the AB side over to Sparwood. That mine has to be 10 to 15 KM's west of the Alberta line (as the crow flies). A lot further on foot or with a machine. Sour grapes is right!!
Clash, you guys know the real events so don't let anything in a "Rumor Mill" cut into your celebrations.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Wow, congrats you guys! You must still be walking on clouds. The smiles on your faces must by huge. A 197 ram!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM

We have heard from quite a few that he must have come from the mine, as stated above if he did it is about 15 km from the area we took him. I do feel bad for those who have spent endless hours searching for a ram like this. Believe me I never in a million years thought I would get a full curl ram yet alone this one. But the one we left behind will have a chance to become larger and hopefully make someones day.

Thank You for all the positive comments, I lived in the States for 7 years during my schooling, I have been back 3 years and the courteousness still suprises me. Keep it up.