Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM

This week would be a good time to make calls to the Base Commander, and to the Town of Wainwright offices, with regard to your concerns about the hunt. Flood the lines, guys. Get the word out; all those people who apply for this draw should be calling the CO's office; a couple of hundred calls a day will get a responce (sp?).

LR
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Default PO the commander

I don't think you should P&&& Off the commander too much. He can keep the hunt going but just CLOSE most of the area for LIVE FIRE TRAINING.
Just a thought.
Good Luck
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM

This closure might have to do with the Operational tempo of the base as opposed to anything else. It is a Military Installation that has seen significant growth in use from our own and other countrys militarys. It might just end up that the Base Commander has three choices.
1 cancel the hunt allow training.
2 allow the hunt cancel training.
3 allow the hunt sacrifice training.
In Canada we do not have many Military installations, nor do we have many bases that they can do the scope of work that CFB Wainwright can.

Hunting on DND property has been a privilege not a right.

Contacting the Public Affairs Officer at the base will help clear up why the hunt may be cancelled, along with anything that can be done to help sustain it. Good luck
Old 03-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Fireball: It doesn't work that way with regard to the training area. Most unit training is winding down, and most courses are getting ready to send their troops on Xmas leave. Any live fire that is going on is happening in the permanent danger areas, where hunters are not allowed to go, and if dry training is booked, then the hunters are fully briefed on where they can, or cannot, go.
Ctd: Military training takes priority, period. If it can be arranged so that troops can be put in an area that will suit their needs, so that another area can be used by hunters, then it happens. If not, the hunters have to take what they get. The training for the increased op tempo you speak of takes place in Apr-May, and Sep-Oct.
This issue started about one thing - Money. Specifically, money to fund the hunt. Alberta SRD has a meeting at the end of the month with the CO, and then we'll know what's going to happen. If the CO decides to ignore all the scientific, biological facts about why this hunt is required, not to mention the economic impact to the town, then it's about one other thing - Because he can. I can't get into any other spcifics, because I'm too close to the situation. My thoughts are this: If you want to see the hunt hunt survive, speak up. If you don't care, keep quiet. JMO.
LR
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

here is what i did today......

late last week i put in a phone call to the number posted earlier in this thread. i left my callback info on the voicemail, and yesterday i got a call back from a Capt. Rita Richter who is in the base commanders office. i missed her call, but tried back and after a little telephone tag had a chat with her. what she said is that the possible cancellation of the hunt is due to nothing other than money. the base is under financial cutbacks as everyone is these days and with funding tight, the base commander is looking at ways to save money. according to capt. richter, everyone is well aware of the financial benefits to the town as well as the benefits to the deer herd of hunting as a population control. there is no anti hunting sentiment involved or even a feeling that its too much hassle according to capt richter, but that it is simple dollars and cents. i tried to express my concerns of how important hunting is to maintaining a healthy herd, as well as the tourist dollars brought into the town and not to mention the sheer enjoyment that many albertans have as a result of the hunt. she didnt disagree and assured me that the base commander also agrees with these points. she stressed that money is the issue.

i dont know if i have the right answer to solve this....and many good suggestions have been made. i do know that capt richter told me that they have recieved a few calls and emails, but not an overwhelming amount. please guys, if you care about the future of the hunt, send an email and make a call. the extension 1200 to the base commanders office has gotten me nothing but a voicemail. capt richter can be reached at ext 1201.

further, i learned that a meeting is scheduled for march 29 in wainwright that will involve the town, srd and the base concerning the future of the hunt. i didnt get details on the time and place however, but it is clear that the clock is ticking.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

seems like a guy can't find some good news at all these days
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Gone Hunting

In some ways that is good news.

If it is really just all about the $ then a solution may be found by providing $ to the camp to continue the hunt.

NOT $ FOR ACCESS TO HUNT. But $ for providing the extra services by range patrol (or what ever the extra $ are needed for).

We all give $ to the ACA from our licence fees. Maybe this would be a "grant eligible" project.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

there are so many other issues needing immediate attention that i just wanted to make sure this one doesnt get forgotten. bump to the top.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 AM

So it is a money issue.
Now what one needs to do is talk to your Federal MLA about this situation.

I am curious as to what actual effect closing the hunt will have on the animals on the base?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM

I was told today at O-Group that there will be a meeting the first week of
April, to see if the Camp Hunt is a go or not. Maybe Alberta Fish & Game and
the Wain. Chamber of Commerce should try and sit in on this meeting and have a little input on the out come of it. Once it is lost, you will never get
it back
Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM

Meeting is tomorrow. Cross your fingers. If you tried to voice your concerns, thank you. If not, you better pray. In any case, what will be, will be.

LR
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Default Meeting postponed

The meeting has been pushed back to the 6th of April. Still time to make your voices heard, folks.

LR
Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiegeRiver View Post
The meeting has been pushed back to the 6th of April. Still time to make your voices heard, folks.

LR
Thanks for the update LiegeRiver. Still time to get some others to send some emails.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Too bad if they close it, all I ever heard of Wainwright hunt was it was great.

Since it is kind of a special tag, why not put a small surcharge on it to cover the manhours the military has to put in for the hunt?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Wainwright hunt NOT cancelled

The hunt has been saved. I don't have all the particulars from the meeting, but I'm sure that it will come out at a later date. Will let you know when, and what, I can.

LR
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setterman View Post
Ok, just found out some more info. The base commander is in fact seriously considering CANCELLING ALL HUNTING ON THE BASE!!!!! He is looking at cost saving measures and since it takes staff to help manage all the hunts on the base this is one thing is is very seriously considering. I suggest we all get on the phone, computer and let them know how important hunting in this area is to us Albertan's. I quickly found some contact info on the net that I will be contacting shortly.
Yeah! We want Federal budgets cut drastically.... as long as it doesn't impact anything WE want. LOL

Two things:
-If it cost the military to facilitate the hunt they should simply create an additional charge for a tag. User pay.
-If the military really needs to cut, start with the Snowbirds. Watching our finest do stunts in 50 year old planes is embarassing.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiegeRiver View Post
The hunt has been saved. I don't have all the particulars from the meeting, but I'm sure that it will come out at a later date. Will let you know when, and what, I can.

LR
Thanks for the update LiegeRiver!
Thats some good news.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Smile

Great news. My family and friends were all up for the draw this year. My 2 kids were especially concerned since they were really looking forward to the hunt. Thanks to all those who sent in calls and emails as I'm sure it helped voice our concerns for all who liked the added opportunity to hunt in Alberta.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

the news is great for the immediate future, but i wonder if the money concern wont return? hopefully a permanent solution can be found to keep this opportunity open to albertas hunters.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM

LiegeRiver; thanks for bringing this issue to us so we could make our voices heard!!!!!
I for one am very grateful for the extra hunting opportunities on the base.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Hunt a go, for this year......

OK. Just so everyone understands, this is what has happened: the Camp Wainwright hunt has been saved, for this year. However, there are no future guarantees for subsequent years. There will be, and still is, work to be done. I have been in contact with a few key members of the AFGA, and will not drop this issue. We may have to send out a call to arms in the future (so to speak), so be prepared. As I find out more, I will pass it on. As well, I will entertain any PM's you wish to send if you wish to chat about things.

LR