Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-26-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcw View Post
Thank you. I have been in 337 and it is open general open season for antlerless and antlered, so I can get anything I want with my main tag and an anterless with either of the supplemental tags. That's what I thought! I went out with someone I met on this site, and he kept claiming that no matter what was open, you could only get antlered with your main tag and can't get anything with supplemental tag until after you fill your main tag. That why I was trying to get verification from experienced hunters. He claims to have been hunting here for over 5 years.
He was wrong and sadly you can’t trust all hunters to understand the regs. Save yourself grief and always read them for yourself. Seek clarification if you need to but you want to work at getting a good understanding of the regs
Old 11-26-2023, 05:33 PM

Way to go LKILR, good on your for helping out a couple guys looking to fill some tags. Not sure why there are any negative comments on this thread? No good deed goes unpunished!

DR
Old 11-26-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
He was wrong and sadly you can’t trust all hunters to understand the regs. Save yourself grief and always read them for yourself. Seek clarification if you need to but you want to work at getting a good understanding of the regs
Exactly! And unfortunately, some people feel compelled to tell others the regulations, even though they don't understand the regulations themself.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:56 PM

Default Regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Thank you all. That was my understanding when I read the regs, but I thought maybe I missed something. I was sure he was wrong, but he was very adamant that he was right. So many of you agree with my understanding so i can move ahead with no worry.
As the season is almost over Hopefully I will get a buck if not an anterless will do to fill the freezer. Preferably a buck as it is better for the population.

Last edited by Dcw; 11-26-2023 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 11-26-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcw View Post
Thank you all. That was my understanding when I read the regs, but I thought maybe I missed something. I was sure he was wrong, but he was very adamant that he was right. So many of you agree with my understanding so i can move ahead with no worry.
And that is why you need to read the regs for yourself, it's the best way to not make mistakes.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:37 AM

You should go knock on doors in may/June for hunting access the following fall.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:45 PM

If I’m getting permission I usually try to go after spraying but before haying or after combining.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Yes, you can use all three tags for antlerless deer provided the seasons are open in the management units you are planning to hunt and supplemental tag(s) can be used in that unit.

The Supplemental Antlerless White-tailed Deer Licence is issued with two tags. The FIRST tag issued with the licence (but NOT the second
tag) is valid for tagging a deer hunted in one of the following WMUs: 302-303, 306, 346-347, 349, 354, and 356. Both tags are valid for tagging
a deer(s) hunted in any of the following WMUs: 200-208, 214-246, 248, 250-260, 300, 304-305, 310-314, 320-322, 332-337, 344, 348, 350-353,
355, 357-360, 440-446, and 500-544.

Your “first” tag, the whitetail general, is good for antlered or antlerless, provided the seasons are open in any particular unit you are hunting. The supplementary tags are called “antlerless”, which implies that they are to be used for antlerless deer only. If you want to mention the WMU(s) you are looking at, I will try to explain better using that WMU as a particular example.
Correct - but just to avoid some confusion here - in the language specific to the Supplemental tags, there is are "first" and "second" supplemental tags - the "first" of these supplemental tags is not to be confused with the General tag...
Old 11-30-2023, 10:47 AM

Good on ya LKILR for taking some new guys out. The little guy will remember it for the rest of his life, I guarantee that!!

As stewards of the sport, isn't it more productive to offer guidance and suggestions to people instead of getting your hackles up right away and spewing out negativity?
If you are new to the sport, you won't know certain questions are "taboo" and offensive to the people who are veterans. How would they? If we all took the time to do a little "paying it forward" our sport and frankly this planet would be way better off.
You can bet your a** that bullriderr will do so given the opportunity in the future.
Congrats on your successful hunt this year bullriderr.......

BH