Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2021, 08:15 AM

A bullet doesn't reach full speed for the first 50 yards, same guy told me to swallow 4 shotgun pellets 3 times a day to cure boils he didn't say what size.

Shooting a gas tank makes it explode

Hollywood is responsible for all firearm myths and most of our gun regulations.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
A myth busting thread full of new myths. :-)
Is that really a surprise? I wonder if that will lead to more threads, to discuss the new myths?
Old 12-15-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
The heavier bullet theory,

Someone told me...

They will hit slightly higher than lighter bullets because they are slightly slower leaving the barrel, and as the barrel kicks up,

barrel will be a hair higher, so it’ll hit higher.

Anyone believe this?

TBark
This is one theory, it has merit, it can also simply be a matter barrel harmonics. Personally I fell this is likely more likely as a different bullet might strike right, left, higher or lower without much ability to predict its poi.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
All you myth busters are ruining my day , next I suppose you are gonna tell me there is no Santa !
That's okay to believe in Santa fps plus, there are people out there believing that Trudeau is good for this Canada!
Cat
Old 12-15-2021, 10:14 AM

How about understanding bullet weight based on caliber for hunting purposes. IE..
I hear people say you should shoot a 180gr in a 308, because its slightly under powered....so need heavier bullet to get the job done. But you should shoot a 150gr in 300wm because you get so much speed =much flatter trajectory and it's much more powerful so you don't need a heavy bullet to get the job done on game.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
The heavier bullet theory,
Someone told me...
They will hit slightly higher than lighter bullets because they are slightly slower leaving the barrel, and as the barrel kicks up,
barrel will be a hair higher, so it’ll hit higher.
Anyone believe this?

TBark
This definitely can be true in a handgun. I know my 44 mag S&W 629 prints 240's several inches higher than 180's at 50 yds. Revolvers really torque upwards compared to rifles, since the grip centre is well below the bore.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
This definitely can be true in a handgun. I know my 44 mag S&W 629 prints 240's several inches higher than 180's at 50 yds. Revolvers really torque upwards compared to rifles, since the grip centre is well below the bore.
Quite a while ago I used some 180s in my 44, I couldn’t remember if they shot high or low, but I do remember they hit much different than the 240s
Old 12-15-2021, 12:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Myth…..you can never recover Barnes bullets.

Fact….
your shooting steel out at 500 yards and collecting them...fact or myth?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
your shooting steel out at 500 yards and collecting them...fact or myth?
Myth. Every one of those bullets were pulled from a dead animal. I don’t save bullets retrieved from the dirt.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 12-15-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Myth. Every one of those bullets were pulled from a dead animal. I don’t save bullets retrieved from the dirt.
You should start shooting them when they are broadside to you….Bahahaha!
Old 12-15-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

But I thought when using Barnes bullets you wait for the Texas heart shot?
Fact or myth ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
But I thought when using Barnes bullets you wait for the Texas heart shot?
Fact or myth ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who cares where you start? It’s where you end up that matters.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-15-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
They represent about a 10% recovery rate.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-15-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Fact, all legal ammunition will work effectively if the shooter does his job properly.
I believe that while true for most factory loads and many common bullets there are combinations that simply cannot be expected to perform effectively on game.
I had a custom 257 wby that would push a 75gr v-max to nearly 4300 FPS, perfectly legal, but I wouldn’t expect the bullet to hold up on a paper target, let alone get lethal penetration on a game animal.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
I believe that while true for most factory loads and many common bullets there are combinations that simply cannot be expected to perform effectively on game.
I had a custom 257 wby that would push a 75gr v-max to nearly 4300 FPS, perfectly legal, but I wouldn’t expect the bullet to hold up on a paper target, let alone get lethal penetration on a game animal.
If you don't think it will, it's wise to not try.

I don't know much about the 257. I do know for fact that a 85gr 6mm bullet launched at 3100 fps will drop a Bear in it's tracks. And kill a Moose with one hit, if well placed.

I have photos of that bullet dropping a Bear at about 100 paces and watched it happen for several other Bears. I know the owner of that rifle shot a Moose this fall and a couple of other years with that rifle bullet combination.

But I'm told that just because it worked one time or a few times does not mean it's a good choice or even an ethical choice.

It is my understanding that if a bullet fails once it's not a good choice or ethical to use it again.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-15-2021, 07:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Who cares where you start? It’s where you end up that matters.
What about the journey

Fact Barnes makes a hell of a bullet!

Old 12-15-2021, 08:17 PM

Myth.....target bullets are good choices for hunting use as they have the correct terminal ballistic characteristics for clean humain kills...they are also really accurate...

Sorry just couldn't resist...

Old 12-15-2021, 09:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Myth.....target bullets are good choices for hunting use as they have the correct terminal ballistic characteristics for clean humain kills...they are also really accurate...

Sorry just couldn't resist...

I heard that one too.

But I learned something from it.
I had ordered 700 match grade primers several months ago. They were on back order most of the summer but they came in two days ago.

I called the store to see if they'd take them back but they wouldn't so I dropped them all in a bucket of oil.

I know I could have sold them but they are not marked, for target shooting only and I was afraid they might wind up in the hands of someone who would use them in hunting loads.

So I figured the only responsible thing to do was to destroy them.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-15-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I heard that one too.

I had ordered 700 match grade primers several months ago. They were on back order most of the summer but they came in two days ago.

I called the store to see if they'd take them back but they wouldn't so I dropped them all in a bucket of oil.

I know I could have sold them but they are not marked, for target shooting only and I was afraid they might wind up in the hands of someone who would use them in hunting loads.

Now that is quite the myth, not at all believable, and it makes no sense, but quite the myth.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I heard that one too.

Lol keg....I just couldn't resist..
Your free to swing any ways you choose..my choices are based off my experience. And yes I have experienced it...it failed I learned the lesson and I moved on. There's other lessons out there that I havent learned for myself but rather trust the experience of others who have paid the tuition and took their advice. You know something I'd almost bet you that target bullets will work 85-90% of the time...but that 5% will be a real western rodeo..since I don't ride bucking stock anymore I'd rather not have the rodeo myself...your welcome to grab that bronc by the rigging and see if you can stay put for the full 8 seconds....

Old 12-15-2021, 09:54 PM

This reminds me of listening to gun counters at wholesale sports and now cabelas hahaha good thread
Old 12-15-2021, 09:55 PM

The Creedmoor can make any man into a sniper ..... you can spine shoot a running deer off hand 300yards 9/10 times
Old 12-15-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The Creedmoor can make any man into a sniper ..... you can spine shoot a running deer off hand 300yards 9/10 times
And that is after drinking a double double on the way out.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-15-2021, 10:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Your free to swing any ways you choose..my choices are based off my experience. And yes I have experienced it...it failed I learned the lesson and I moved on. There's other lessons out there that I havent learned for myself but rather trust the experience of others who have paid the tuition and took their advice. You know something I'd almost bet you that target bullets will work 85-90% of the time...but that 5% will be a real western rodeo..since I don't ride bucking stock anymore I'd rather not have the rodeo myself...your welcome to grab that bronc by the rigging and see if you can stay put for the full 8 seconds....

I hear you.

Matter of fact I'm running out of bullets to chose from. Almost every one has failed me at one time or another.

I totally agree, it wouldn't be good to use a bullet type that has failed.

Fortunately there are so many to choose from I still have a few options left.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-16-2021, 12:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I am so glad you admitted that. See I had thought I was innocent of making that mistake.
When the subject first came up I could not recall ever using Match grade ammo for anything and I must admit I felt a tiny bit proud of that.

But in truth I was thinking big game ammo and I am certain I have never seen any factory Match grade ammo or used it in any big game rifle and I know for certain I've never handloaded any.

But I was wrong I have used match grade ammo on animals.

Just this evening I happened upon an empty ,22 ammo box under my reloading bench and guess what, it was match ammo.

I am so ashamed of myself. I can't believe I was so thoughtless as to use it on wildlife, but I did. I shot some Squirrels with it way back when.

But knowing you made the same mistake makes me feel a little better.
Maybe I shouldn't, after all I did kill some Squirrels with it and yes I even wounded a few. So you were right, they do fail.
I did not let them suffer of course, a quick follow up fixed that. But I can't claim those bullets were 100% effective.

I promise, I will never use such ammo again.

Moreover I promise I will never use hunting ammo for target practice. Because as was pointed out to me, it's unethical to use any ammo for a purpose it was not designed for.

I am so glad I have AO to come to to learn about these things, from people like you.

Your vast store of knowledge is so appreciated.

Thank you for setting me straight.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-16-2021, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Must be something to that…I was at my LGS this morning and a customer was telling the salesman that he shot his deer this year at 1153 yds with his 6.5 Creedmoor. He claims he was using 143 Eldx. My ballistic calculator shows 420” drop with a 200 yd zero, remaining velocity of 677 fps. Hmmm. Think I will dump my 7 STW.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:26 AM

Keg, you sound like you are on the sauce, really. You asked for the other thread to be locked as there was no purpose for you to continue, why continue in another, someone else’s, thread?
Old 12-16-2021, 03:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Take it easy dude, we's jus funnin each oder!

Don't ch know satire when you see it!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-16-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
This reminds me of listening to gun counters at wholesale sports and now cabelas hahaha good thread
Or at a gun show of days gone by....

Old 12-16-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
The myth is that anyone actually said this.

-Billy Molls