Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 07:45 PM

Maybe Mods should get new mod names. They can post as simple folk under their old names and their new names as mods. Then mods have some anonymity from online trollers and don’t need to fear losing their relationships.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Maybe Mods should get new mod names. They can post as simple folk under their old names and their new names as mods. Then mods have some anonymity from online trollers and don’t need to fear losing their relationships.
One day a hammer just shows up in your PM box with a username and password.

Hahahahaha
Old 09-08-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Thanks for the thought Sun. I try as much as I can to be fair. Some days better than others. Using my long-time username means there's a bit less anonymity keeps me grounded.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-08-2022, 08:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Guys, let's all keep in mind that OUR mods are people. like the rest of us.

They are not experts at moderating, and should not be expected to be.
There is no training that I am aware of on how to moderate, and I've looked long and hard for it.

I know from my time as a moderator there is none offered by the site.

So remember, that first and foremost, our moderators are volunteers, regular members who volunteered their time because they want this to be the best forum it can be. With special emphases on the regular members part.

No matter what one may think, the reality is without these volunteers, with whatever faults they may have, this site would quickly decend into anarchy and loose most if not all contributing members.

I've seen it a number of times on other sites I used to frequent. I stress, used to.

If we want a functioning site we need those volunteers, just as they are.

A lesson I had to learn the hard way, I do not have to live by anything anyone else believes. I always have the option to go elsewhare.

I am free to choose to accept ohers faults and all, or move on. My choice.

For me it's an easy choice. I have many faults, so accepting faults in others is a no brainer for me.

The future is in your hands. Play by the rules, be kind to each other, or watch this site join the many others that have gone down the drain.

This site can survive without you and I, and we without it.
But is that what we really want?

Think about it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-08-2022, 08:40 PM

I feel like the forum has certainly gone downhill in the last 10 years ive been a member here.

It seems like its less about hunting and fishing and more about anything else.

There's less and less new members that are becoming regular posters, and its more of the same posters going back and forth on different threads.

A new updated forum would certainly help. It drives me insane that I cant search for anything less than 3 characters. you cant search "WMU 357". The work around is to google "alberta outdoorsmen wmu 357" but I shouldnt have to do that. Rokslide has a great platform.

I'm not sure what the answer is to getting more members posting here, but just randomly closing threads without an explanation or even a decent reason doesnt help.

The mods do a great job, they really do. Its a thankless job that many dont realize the behind the scenes work that goes into keeping the forum running. We need mods that participate in the forum often, and I'm glad that the torch was passed from the sideline sitters who didnt contribute and only popped in once in a while to throw their hammer around.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have been asked many times to be a moderator on here and other boards. I have always refused because I just don't have the right temperament for the role. Nor do I want to give my time for free to a commercial enterprise that is making money off my labour, and can barely say thank you, let alone keep the site upgraded.

However, if I did agree to be a moderator then I know what I am in for. I would not be posting justifying how I moderate and if I felt over abused I would deal with it or quit. I would not be whining in public about it. On top of that, I certainly don't think it is okay for mods to belittle users. Agree with their perspective or not, but remain professional and courteous. You are held to a higher standard whether you think you should be or not. I expect mods to model the behaviour not break the rules because they can. This is NOT your house, it is a public forum, and while privately owned, it is NOT owned by the moderators. You are also unpaid guests, just given a bigger stick. My suggestion is to try to maintain your balance and perspective or take a break from being a mod till you can centre yourself again.
One mod in here has totally transformed since being a member. Another ex-mod rode me like Seattle Slew. Funny how our PM's were deleted from my inbox ??
Old 09-08-2022, 09:40 PM

I think there are more than a few members here who need to take a step back and remember that this is an internet forum and to not take it so seriously.

Further, I applaud the decision to not include politics on this forum. Politics is nauseatingly everywhere lately and this place provides a nice respite from all that noise.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:47 PM

Default My last message to you folks.

I’m signing off. I’ve asked to be removed as a moderator, and I won’t be on line anymore. I have enough in my life dealing with my wife’s and my health issues, along with a full time career managing large Construction Projects. I do not need the toxicity this place brings out in all too many of you. Most of you are fine folks, some of you need to really take a break from this site too. This is an outdoors forum. You the members represent outdoors people. Do it with dignity. Post like your speaking face to face. This forum will be what you want it to be if you follow the rules and treat people the same regardless of race, colour, sex. It’s up to you. You’re in good hands with the remaining 4 mods. They are stand up gents I’m proud to call my friends. Treat them with respect, and they will reciprocate. Best wishes.
Leo Morawski
Old 09-08-2022, 09:49 PM

Lots of interesting points of view from all parties, perhaps it will turn into something positive .... hope so.

Sorry to see you go Leo.

D.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:50 PM

That’s a shame Leo. Although I totally understand why you’re doing it.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I’m signing off. I’ve asked to be removed as a moderator, and I won’t be on line anymore. I have enough in my life dealing with my wife’s and my health issues, along with a full time career managing large Construction Projects. I do not need the toxicity this place brings out in all too many of you. Most of you are fine folks, some of you need to really take a break from this site too. This is an outdoors forum. You the members represent outdoors people. Do it with dignity. Post like your speaking face to face. This forum will be what you want it to be if you follow the rules and treat people the same regardless of race, colour, sex. It’s up to you. You’re in good hands with the remaining 4 mods. They are stand up gents I’m proud to call my friends. Treat them with respect, and they will reciprocate. Best wishes.
Leo Morawski
All the best to you Leo, we would like to have you out for a beer out here in the west end when we can all get together again.

Thank you for your contribution - you will be missed. When you are ready, we will be happy to have you back. Maybe come back as a regular member and stir up some hornets nest and we can have a laugh.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
One mod in here has totally transformed since being a member. Another ex-mod rode me like Seattle Slew. Funny how our PM's were deleted from my inbox ??
Believe it or not , we moderators do not have the power to snoop around in anyones inbox let alone delete private messages .
If we do then nobody filled me in on the secret.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Leo Morawski
Sorry to see you go Leo, but I understand. It's an impossible task, keeping everyone happy.
Enforce the rules and get labled a Nazi, don't and get accused of playing favorites.

Still, you did an awesome job, just my opinion but I'd say one of the best.

You sir are welcome in my camp, or home any time.

If you ever decide to visit the Peace River area keep in mind, we have a spare room and I know some good fishing and hunting spots.
I'd be glad to have you join me on a hunt or fishing trip.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-08-2022, 11:22 PM

Until next time
Old 09-09-2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I'm saying the owners are jerks for not paying them.
Can they afford to?

Does anyone have any idea what kind of revenue a site like this one would bring in? Kinda curious..
Old 09-09-2022, 04:07 AM

That's to bad Leo, your OK, good luck

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:04 PM

Argue issues not personalities. Threat everyone with respect.

Do this and being a moderator would be much easier.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:19 PM

thanks moderators, you have kept me in line for,the most part and we respect what you do, how it is done and thanks

glad I am still allowed to be here
Old 09-09-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
Threat everyone with respect.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Leo Morawski
I wish you and your Wife great health and good life for the future!
Thanks for your work here.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:11 PM

Boys!

Give da goddam mods a break. It’s hunting season.

Get
Out
Doors
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-09-2022, 07:52 PM

It's not just here as previously mentioned it's the new way of the world...people pick their sides and defend themselves and their ideals to the bitter end. It's a world divided and its everywhere. You pick a topic and post an honest opinion and there will be some pretty colorful replies no matter what it is. The world is going in a different direction and alot of us don't like it. If you can't discuss your differences or at least speak your mind I think that is a dangerous thing. I also understand that being a referee to the masses is a thankless job. No matter what you guys do ill still scroll thru and see what's new. I wouldn't take it to heart. Rules are rules. We all live be them.to some extent. Peace ✌️ boys.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:01 PM

Default All in moderation.

Just my two cents, which ain’t worth a dime.
I don’t post here much anymore but I think most mods do a pretty good job for what they are given to work with.
I don’t mind mods making rules as long as they themselves abide by them.
The whole don’t call mods out if you disagree with them thing though doesn’t sit well with me.
There are a small number that definitely can’t handle criticism.
It is a volunteer position held by regular members and should be treated as such.
Respect works both ways. I generally as a rule treat people how they treat me. That’s called mutual respect. How much respect is determined by personal experience.

Good luck in your future endeavours Leo.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:08 PM

Jordan Peterson recently made a video about getting suspended from Twitter.
Replace Twitter with this or any forum... It's no different.

https://youtu.be/0S5WP4GGliA
Old 09-09-2022, 10:22 PM

From a different perspective...

The unsavoury side exists because it’s either allowed, or there is a lack of oversight. Policy and procedures empower supervisors, the lack of cripples. When I open this reply box, here are a few emoticons;

I’m thinking policy isn’t a strong suite
Old 09-09-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Just my two cents, which ain’t worth a dime.
I don’t post here much anymore but I think most mods do a pretty good job for what they are given to work with.
I don’t mind mods making rules as long as they themselves abide by them.
The whole don’t call mods out if you disagree with them thing though doesn’t sit well with me.
There are a small number that definitely can’t handle criticism.
It is a volunteer position held by regular members and should be treated as such.
Respect works both ways. I generally as a rule treat people how they treat me. That’s called mutual respect. How much respect is determined by personal experience.

Good luck in your future endeavours Leo.
That's fair. I admit I got pretty testy and reacted badly. For what it's worth, I apologize for my posts that were certainly harsh and not appropriate for me to make. I won't delete them, everyone can see them for what they are. I'm not the most patient person, and some folks can certainly rub me the wrong way. I will endeavor to be more diplomatic in the future.

For what it's worth, I do care what happens on the forum, and want it to be a place where we can have a civil discussion. That's all.

TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-09-2022, 11:42 PM

Leo sorry to see you leave,hope all your health deals work them selves out for you and your wife and your projects come out great.

Will never forget you kindness like the knife draw I entered my grandson in you set up, even thought he didn't win ,I still found two knives that were close as yours in make and mailed them to him, kid thought he won the lotto . All great fun, but you made the fun happen.

LEO your a guy of true integrity to the core and a very good person that will be missed.

CHEERS TO YOU LEO
ALL THE BEST

JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-10-2022 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:06 AM
Banned

Where my brain goes after a few (?) beer on a Friday night scares me sometimes

This is called, “The Paradox of Pushing”

“Too much force will backfire. Constant interventions and instigations will not make a good group. They will spoil a group. The best group process is delicate. It cannot be pushed around. It cannot be argued over or won in a fight. The leader who tries to control the group through force does not understand group process. Force will cost you the support of the members. Leaders who push think that they are facilitating process, when in fact they are blocking process. They think that they are building a good group field, when in fact they are destroying its coherence and creating factions. They think that their constant interventions are a measure of ability, when in fact such interventions are crude and inappropriate. They think that their leadership position gives them absolute authority, when in fact their behavior diminishes respect. The wise leader stays centered and grounded and uses the least force required to act effectively. The leader avoids egocentricity and emphasizes being rather than doing.”

― John Heider, The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age

This is a quote by Lao Tzu who was a Chinese Philosopher born in 571BC. Weird eh?
Old 09-10-2022, 05:19 AM

Default I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's fair. I admit I got pretty testy and reacted badly. For what it's worth, I apologize for my posts that were certainly harsh and not appropriate for me to make. I won't delete them, everyone can see them for what they are. I'm not the most patient person, and some folks can certainly rub me the wrong way. I will endeavor to be more diplomatic in the future.

For what it's worth, I do care what happens on the forum, and want it to be a place where we can have a civil discussion. That's all.

TC
If you didn’t care you would have never signed up to be a moderator in the first place. I know all the mods care for this community, sometimes they can care to much for their own sanity.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:56 AM

Just leave people and threads be. I’m not sure why we get in knots over this stuff. If you don’t like what’s in a thread move on. This censorship of thought and opinion, in general, is a bit much anymore.
Closed Thread