Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Hmm doesn't add up to me. Quickest assisted opener kept in someone's pocket is still slower than a fixed blade on someone's hip. No matter how quick you can enable the blade it's still and extra step. Must be the intimidation factor?

Pretty sad this is what border security is concerning themselves with. Every kitchen in this country has knives that would make better weapons than joe blows pocket knife.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
what blade steel is that?
cpm m4
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That is freaking hard core - must be a real rush !!!!!

Perhaps upping the ante to pulling out a loaded handgun and pressing it up to a random strangers forehead at the grocery store or something. Wouldn't watching them soil themselves give you a total rush too !!!!!!!!!
Ya a handgun and a knife are the same thing for sure, did I say anything about holding it to someones forehead? Good to see you've gotten a headstart on the decriminalization, Go Trudeau, Go!!!!!! Oh my
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Just another way the noose is getting tighter whats next the size of a blade
That's why I carry a pocket knife to cut the noose

One hand operation while the other prevents the noose from tightening

It all logic...cowboy logic.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Won't be prohibited, you just won't be able to get it across the border.
Cat
I wouldnt say that so quickly. The CBSA only seems to be putting a definition to wording already in Canadian law.

Section 84 of the criminal code:

prohibited weapon

(a)*a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

(b)*any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)

This may be the start of enforcing this.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 AM

They’ve always been hard on butterfly knives. Id be surprised if they clamp down on folders to a big degree. Wait and see. If they do it’s pretty ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
I wouldnt say that so quickly. The CBSA only seems to be putting a definition to wording already in Canadian law.

Section 84 of the criminal code:

prohibited weapon

(a)*a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

(b)*any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)

This may be the start of enforcing this.
Quote:
2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and

b. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
It's in the wording: Customs Notice 18-01 expands the definition to include opening by manipulation of the blade. The existing Criminal Code subsection 84(1) only referred to manipulation of the handle.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 AM

I'm curious how this affects straight razors now? By definition I can 'deploy my straight razor blade in the same manor. Prohibit for import I suppose.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Obviously this is a ridiculous development. However how is a spring assisted blade for example any more dangerous than a fixed blade that's already wide open? Pull it from a sheath and away you go… This is so unbelievably mind numbingly ridiculous
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
And you sir posses the exact logic that will continue to erode all freedom over time... the “Why do you need” mentality ... Can you explain how a knife opening changes it’s function? I’d dare to guess that most stabbings have occurred using fixed blade kitchen knives. I wouldn’t be surprised if you also think “Why does one need a semi automatic when he can use a single shot, and get rid of compound bows because ...”.
Just sad...
^this. It's up to me what I "need", nobody else. Give these dimwits an inch, they'll take a mile. Just because you don't own one, doesn't mean anyone should sit back and let this slide. It's something you don't own/care about this time...it could very well be something you care about the next time around. If they can railroad stuff like this through, you can pretty much guarantee it won't stop at this.

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist...a question to an answer nobody asked. Welcome to the land of big government. Worse yet~our taxes pay for our rights to be trampled on...and the people doing it probably get a pension too! I don't get one, but my taxes are helping make sure they do!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
It's in the wording: Customs Notice 18-01 expands the definition to include opening by manipulation of the blade. The existing Criminal Code subsection 84(1) only referred to manipulation of the handle.
The section of the Criminal Code was originally made to stop switchblades and butterfly knives.

Now, they've changed the interpretation to include over half the folding knives on the market.

How many companies are making good lock backs these days?? Those are about the only folding knives that don't seem to be affected.

I've gone to carrying a 4" fixed blade in my pocket, but that's for completely different reasons than anything that has to do with the so called law.

I support everyone's right to own, import, and carry any knife that they want.

However these rules won't change until someone starts suing the government for overreach, and to change the law.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
Hmm doesn't add up to me. Quickest assisted opener kept in someone's pocket is still slower than a fixed blade on someone's hip. No matter how quick you can enable the blade it's still and extra step. Must be the intimidation factor?
Exactly what confuses me about the whole thing.

Matt