Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
So how would that be different than you going on a canned hunt as you described it?
X2
Old 12-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
Wow , lots of responses. For sure I see others points of view as valid and I get it . I think , really what got me this morning was watching tv seeing this BS bear hunt and flipping through Facebook on my phone. See that Kendall what's her face kid . " guess the B&C score of my huge buck" in a heavy face of makeup and perfectly applied cork ash under her eyes. Holding a pet deer from a high fence operation.

These are the ambassadors to our sport ? These are the people , that people who don't hunt or are against hunting see . So embarrassing. Shows like a guy with a 15 year old girl shooting a bear in the neck with a bow in a garbage dump ? Are you kidding me ? So I went on a bit of a rant this morning , but I went ice fishing all afternoon and managed to forget about all the dinks out there .
I view most hunting shows the same way as I view any reality tv shows.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
So how would that be different than you going on a canned hunt as you described it?
With all due respect, figure it out for yourself.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 PM

The hunting culture in Alberta is changing fast and will never be the same. The availability of prime draw tags are quickly becoming a once in a life time pursuit unless you are rich and can hire a outfitter that has tags and tied up access to large tracts of good habitat on private land. Our public lands are heavily hunted in the areas that have good access and you have to be a skilled, patient and lucky hunter to bag game. 30 years ago all my buddies and I hunted and fished all the time and we had outdoor skill handed down from mentors. Today some young people are interested in hunting and if they are fortunate have friends or relatives that bring them along they have a chance of learning something. There is young people that would like to hunt but have no mentors. Kids that have no mentors and want to hunt may have to hire the big outfitters on the likes of Wild TV if they want to hunt.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
With all due respect, figure it out for yourself.
I can't, please help me out.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:38 AM

Just curious edmhunter, how do you propose a person goes about hunting something that doesn't exist wherever they're a resident without going on a guided hunt?

there are many things I would love to one day hunt (ie. Dall Sheep)....unless I plan on moving, it has to be a guided hunt. So in your opinion should a person only want to hunt whatever is in their place of residence? And if they have a desire to hunt something else, they are lesser hunters because they use a guide?

One final question, have you ever asked a farmer for permission, and he says yes and passes along info such as where he is seeing elk or whatever your after and you then end up getting an animal where he said they would be? That to me is no different than what your saying is a "canned" whitey hunt in ab, with the exception that you asked for permission instead of a guide securing it for you. Go for a late season cow elk hunt and talk to farmers, see how much info you get....or maybe not, don't want to support canned hunting I guess

Last edited by 300magman; 12-31-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Just curious edmhunter, how do you propose a person goes about hunting something that doesn't exist wherever they're a resident without going on a guided hunt?

there are many things I would love to one day hunt (ie. Dall Sheep)....unless I plan on moving, it has to be a guided hunt. So in your opinion should a person only want to hunt whatever is in their place of residence? And if they have a desire to hunt something else, they are lesser hunters because they use a guide?

One final question, have you ever asked a farmer for permission, and he says yes and passes along info such as where he is seeing elk or whatever your after and you then end up getting an animal where he said they would be? That to me is no different than what your saying is a "canned" whitey hunt in ab, with the exception that you asked for permission instead of a guide securing it for you. Go for a late season cow elk hunt and talk to farmers, see how much info you get....or maybe not, don't want to support canned hunting I guess
I say that you are entitled to go on any type of hunt you desire and I have no problems or issues with anyone doing just that and wish you success on every hunt you decide to embark on.

The title of this thread is: Loss of real hunting culture to big business ?

I think Wild TV is Big Business and putting a pretty woman in a tree stand to slam a giant WT in a different part of North America every week is CANNED HUNTING and does not depict the reality or the art of real hunting IMHO, is all I am saying.

Last edited by edmhunter; 12-31-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
I say that you are entitled to go on any type of hunt you desire and I have no problems or issues with anyone doing just that and wish you success on every hunt you decide to embark on.

I think Wild TV is Big Business and putting a pretty woman in a tree stand to slam a giant WT in a different part of North America every week is CANNED HUNTING and does not depict the reality or the real art of real hunting IMHO, is all I am saying.
So pretty women can't be real hunters?

You need to stop digging.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
So pretty women can't be real hunters?

You need to stop digging.
Bud several people on this thread have agreed with my point of view, if you do not, I suggest that you take it up with your psychiatrist.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:04 AM

If a person was gullible enough , and watched enough Wild TV, they might actually believe that in order to be a successful hunter, they need an Ozonics unit, Underarmor clothing, a Huskemaw scope, and an Argo.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If a person was gullible enough , and watched enough Wild TV, they might actually believe that in order to be a successful hunter, they need an Ozonics unit, Underarmor clothing, a Huskemaw scope, and an Argo.
Agreed! All I do is wash my cloths in Scent-A-Way and store them in bags with evergreen branches and hunt the wind, I only have a quad because I am too old to carry a moose out of the bush lol, as for a huskemaw it's great to have a state of the art scope sure beats open sights! Especially if the animal you are hunting is way out there and won't come in to the call.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed! All I do is wash my cloths in Scent-A-Way and store them in bags with evergreen branches and hunt the wind, I only have a quad because I am too old to carry a moose out of the bush lol, as for a huskemaw it's great to have a state of the art scope sure beats open sights! Especially if the animal is hunting is way out there and won't come in to the call.
Hmmm, seems to me those huskemaw boys use a lot of outfitters and I have even seen young girls take game on their shows.

Canned hunts by your definition.

Seems you have bought into the commercialization you claim to be against.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm, seems to me those huskemaw boys use a lot of outfitters and I have even seen young girls take game on their shows.

Canned hunts by your definition.

Seems you have bought into the commercialization you claim to be against.
Hold Onnnnnnnnnn........................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Hole.jpg (94.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Anyone that bashes hi end gear hasn't had it. I use to run Can Tire camo as well and jeans with old work boots to hike in, spent more days afield cold and wet than I can count. finally spent good money on high end gear. Traded cotton for synthetics and wool, now I spend more time in the field only I am warmer and dry! Plus the gear is waaaaay lighter than the off the shelf Can Tire stuff. Might not need it for a truck deer hunt but for mountain hunting can't beat it.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I think Wild TV is Big Business and putting a pretty woman in a tree stand to slam a giant WT in a different part of North America every week is CANNED HUNTING and does not depict the reality or the art of real hunting IMHO, is all I am saying.
TV shows are just there to entertain boys, dont take it too seriously.
If your not entertained, change the channel.
Kind of like this forum some days.

Its not all that hard to still find "wild places" to hunt in Alberta. Unfortunately alot of the places I used to hunt are covered with houses now. Your not going to stop development, you just have to adapt and get out there.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:51 AM

Why not just hunt and be happy with how you choose to hunt?
Blue jeans and a shirt – hunt and be happy
Latest tech – hunt and be happy
Hire and guide – hunt and be happy
Hunt permission/crown land – hunt and be happy
Long range or close – hunt and be happy
The day we all worry less about how others are hunting (myself included) and enjoy our outdoor time; the more united the community will become and the people actively trying to shutdown hunting will have less ammo to do so.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
The day we all worry less about how others are hunting (myself included) and enjoy our outdoor time; the more united the community will become and the people actively trying to shutdown hunting will have less ammo to do so.
Excellent words to go by, fishing included!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post

Excellent words c&c and yah who cares,, just be happy and do what makes you satisfied. Some guys like the gadgets some don't. In most cases I am a traditionalist but I also have a few gadgets why not some are fun and make life out there a lot easier.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:14 AM

I thought my thought process was tough to follow....maybe I should rethink that

Hold on the next band wagon is rolling through!

LC
Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Guided and "Canned" are two different things.... Most guided hunts don't happen behind high fences and non of which are in Alberta. Closest you can get to a canned hunt here is hogs.
Exactly....guided and canned are not one in the same.

LC
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Wildtv has nothing to do with who is starring in any particular show unless the network itself produces and owns the rights to the show, which is few and far between. Like 1 show few and far between. You have no clue how the tv world operates. each show pays to play on wildtv. The people that own the show (usually the actual cast) pay their own way to go hunting. If you actually think tv personalities are suddenly rockstars and get free hunts left and right with unlimited gear youre a moron.

So dean on Canadian whitetail television....youre saying he doesn't depict the art of hunting. What exactly is the art of hunting? Or the boys from drayton, the replacements. Do they not depict the art of hunting? How about TJ on Outdoor quest who pays out of his own pocket to travel and hunt and frankly is a pretty accomplished hunter and writer....Hes not a depicting a true hunt either eh? So what is a real hunt edmhunter? Skyblasting birds at 100 yards?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

As long as it is legal than it's hunting other than that it's poaching/unlawful.

Don't run down legal hunting, might not be your cup of tea but don't run it down, united we must stand!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Wildtv has nothing to do with who is starring in any particular show unless the network itself produces and owns the rights to the show, which is few and far between. Like 1 show few and far between. You have no clue how the tv world operates. each show pays to play on wildtv. The people that own the show (usually the actual cast) pay their own way to go hunting. If you actually think tv personalities are suddenly rockstars and get free hunts left and right with unlimited gear youre a moron.

So dean on Canadian whitetail television....youre saying he doesn't depict the art of hunting. What exactly is the art of hunting? Or the boys from drayton, the replacements. Do they not depict the art of hunting? How about TJ on Outdoor quest who pays out of his own pocket to travel and hunt and frankly is a pretty accomplished hunter and writer....Hes not a depicting a true hunt either eh? So what is a real hunt edmhunter? Skyblasting birds at 100 yards?
So I guess you had too much coffee and are on a tangent yet again eh?

I never said all the shows on Wild TV are CANNED HUNTS, I used Crush as one example of a CANNED HUNT. A show that I consider good and depicts real hunting scenarios apposed to CANNED HUNTING is SOLO HUNTER.

Here's an example of what real hunting is, to me at least:

1. Do some research and find out where the deer, moose or elk live.
2. Go out pre-season and do some scouting to pin point them as much as possible.
3. Go back during the rut and do your own calling to attract the species you have targeted in close enough for a shot whether you are using a bow or a gun.
4. Kill the animal then field dress it yourself and take it home.
5. Take pride in the fact that you can accomplish something that most people can not do own their OWN.

There are many forms of hunting, none of which I personally object to, some are an art form, some anyone CANN HUNT do.

Hope that clears that up for you, if it does not, sorry!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I never said all the shows on Wild TV are CANNED HUNTS, I used Crush as one example of a CANNED HUNT. A show that I consider good and depicts real hunting scenarios apposed to CANNED HUNTING is SOLO HUNTER.

2. Go out pre-season and do some scouting to pin point them as much as possible.
3. Go back during the rut and do your own calling to attract the species you have targeted in close enough for a shot whether you are using a bow or a gun.
5. Take pride in the fact that you can accomplish something that most people can not do own their OWN.

There are many forms of hunting, none of which I personally object to, some are an art form, some anyone CANN HUNT do.

I typically don't use a game call when Im big game hunting. I must not be really hunting. O well
Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:

You have to respect what you deem "real" hunting may not fall in line with what others feel is "real" hunting.

....and there is nothing wrong wth people doing it differently, what if you are huntig with a buddy and he calls an elk for you, is that not "real" hunting (you highlighted "do your own calling"). What about if a buddy field fesses something you killed...is that not a "real" hunting? What if I gut my kids animal...didn't ruin his experience?

LC
Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Im actually of the opposite view to the OP. I think tv has actually increased the 'culture' of hunting, fishing and the outdoors. Much like clothing lines and deeper tv coverage has done for hockey. Now its more f a 'lifestyle' as opposed to something you do with buddies a few times per year.

I think its more of an actual culture now. A huge role in that was shows like duck commander and duck dynasty. Now its trendy to wear camo in your day to day life and to go and get your food. I can guarantee you that 50000 square foot hunting specific stores would not be able to survive in the 80's,90's or early 2000's.

The downfall of it all is there aren't many secret places left.....
Old 12-31-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You have to respect what you deem "real" hunting may not fall in line with what others feel is "real" hunting.

....and there is nothing wrong wth people doing it differently, what if you are huntig with a buddy and he calls an elk for you, is that not "real" hunting (you highlighted "do your own calling"). What about if a buddy field fesses something you killed...is that not a "real" hunting? What if I gut my kids animal...didn't ruin his experience?

LC
I still don't get what calling has to do with anything lol

I spot and stalk. Theres no need for a call most times. If hes basing a real hunt on calling im guessing hes typically staying in one place most of the time, which would more or less be what tiffany does on crush. A show he jsut ripped. lol. An editor typically wont show a hunter using a game call, much anyways, as its not interesting tv. And considering it takes Hours upon hours upon hours of footage to make a 22 minute episode....its not usable film
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Banned

Here we go................................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Hole.jpg (94.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 AM

Been hunting since I was old enough to have a licence. Personally I hunt for my own personal reasons and with the methods I enjoy. The reality of it is you can keep hunting simple or complicate the hell out of it.

In my opinion the mentor of a first time hunter is what helps set the path they choose. New hunters learn from the examples they see and are taught.

Mentor with strong ethics will pass them on and a good chance the new hunter will have good ethics.

Slob hunter will help create more slobs

With no mentor new hunters often learn from TV, internet, or magazines.

If you really want to see hunting follow a path similar to the way you hunt take the time to mentor new hunters. The example an experienced hunter gives has a huge impact if they just take the time to pass it on.

Hunters have the ability to dictate the future of hunting all it takes is to show a good example and a little time to help new hunters. If you don't like the path hunting is taking you have the ability to help change it.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Gone Hunting

This is embarrasing. A ten year old kid raised around the outdoors doesnt talk like this. Rediculous.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er