Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2015, 03:13 PM

I have to say it still surprises me how many members of this forum are opposed to something perfectly LEGAL and safe to use and enjoy.
The posts about how it's too loud, shakes windows, leaves a mess blah, blah, blah...... I Don't even know what to say to all that.

I've got news for you, guns are loud when they are fired.
Ever been near a .50bmg when it's shot? You'll realize it's not somebody plinking away with a .30-30. Should we ban really loud guns too?

I've shot binary targets a bunch, and we do clean up anything that we can including garbage that is not ours. We don't pack printers or washing machines full of the stuff, we use it the way it is meant to be used.

These holier than thou members must spend more time picking up spent .22 shells and retrieving wads and cigarette butts than actually shooting.

I still hold out hope for gun owners in Canada, but the way we fight amongst ourselves I'm wondering how long we really have before things really fall apart.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:49 PM

Well upon reflection I now realize ho wrong it was of me to post something like this on this forum . I realize that the nitpickers and granny grunts will always find a reason why something just isn't politically correct enough for them . I'm sure I could have shown a video of us vacuming the ground with a shop vac after and that would have been ignored by the grumblers as still not enough .It's the same crowd that grumps around if someone shoots a less that trophy book deer or want's to actually catch and keep a fish .
After 5 yrs on this site I have come to the conclusion that I no longer fit in here.Have had that distinct impression for over a year now but since so many of the of the veteran members have walked away it really mostly sucks around here . You can have it enjoy . I'm out.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Banned

I finally made it out to shoot one of my targets, bought 12 one-pound jars...

This was just one, half burried in the side of a hill. I'm hooked !

* a little hint - use sand to fill the container right to the brim & pack it tight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICx3b8ngus

Old 04-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

Well I am guilty, I have used this product.

It was fun.

I do like fire, but with all pleasures we must moderate.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:59 AM

Another great AO thread.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
yup the more fools doing stupid stuff that makes us look like idiots the quicker we'll be hunting with slingshots. Seems like we can't scuttle our boat fast enough.
x10
Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Browsing this thread makes me wonder why I bother coming to this site some times.
Thank you!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Didn't take long for the ban wagoners to come out. Keep it up boys, soon we 'll be hunting with sling shots.
Looks like a lot of fun Jungleboy. Thanks for sharing, and good to hear you cleaned up the mess.

Ban it, why? When are the jump on the ban wagon guy's going to realize that it is the irresponsible users that are the problem and not the object itself. There are irresponsible users of firearms, I guess we should just ban them too. Heck, there are people who want to ban spears and atlatl's because there might be a problem with how the general public will react and tannerite seems to be no different. Here is a thought, why don't we ban the irresponsible users and not the object.

How do we defend all the shot up road signs, well head gauges, mess left by slobs ect. ect.? We do it by sticking together and supporting responsible use and I don't see how tannerite is any different.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Banned

i don't think we should ban it.

i think you should have an explosives license

that being said i will not buy it for myself, i don't think it's safe for a man child such as myself
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i don't think we should ban it.

i think you should have an explosives license

that being said i will not buy it for myself, i don't think it's safe for a man child such as myself
does my military demolition course count .. I guess not since it low grad target not considered a explosive .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
does my military demolition course count .. I guess not since it low grad target not considered a explosive .
lol anything that could weed out an entire idiot would work just fine
Old 04-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

People do dumb stuff when they are drunk. Anybody for an alcohol ban?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
I think not considered an explosive is a little misleading. Once you mix it, it is a High Explosive, at that. 34-0-0 is just pure Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer, a virulent oxidizer, but once you add a fuel, aluminum powder, or diesel fuel, it qualifies as an explosive and deserves all the respect that classification gives it. Military demolition must have taught you that. Shooting at dynamite sticks will also make a nice bang.

Grizz
Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM

Dan Bilzerian got in trouble with the feds because he put tannerite inside a casing that it was not intended for. he got charged with making bombs, but they dropped the charge.

just something to think about. i think its ok to use by itself, but dont put it inside something and blow it all to hell
Old 04-20-2015, 06:46 PM

I think what most are objecting to is not the tannerite or whatever gun but rather the idiots who put all the stupid crap they do with guns, knives, explosives, you name it on youtube or the web for the general public to see. It's no wonder the majority of voters are beginning to think or already think gun owners are idiots and should be regulated out of existence. With all the crap we put out for their viewing pleasure we can't really blame them. We are our worst enemy.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I think what most are objecting to is not the tannerite or whatever gun but rather the idiots who put all the stupid crap they do with guns, knives, explosives, you name it on youtube or the web for the general public to see. It's no wonder the majority of voters are beginning to think or already think gun owners are idiots and should be regulated out of existence. With all the crap we put out for their viewing pleasure we can't really blame them. We are our worst enemy.
No argument, a Good Bang, once in a while, is good for the soul, but it has to be done with all angles covered.

Grizz
Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM

The Tannerite website is pretty good. It lets you know what it is intended for and what constitutes crossing the line (ethically and legally). Recommends to cease use if noise complaints become frequent so on an so forth.

Best part is they give you a number to call if you run into problems (guessing mostly for States folks but not sure). They will defend you and its use unless you are using more than a pound per target, or using it as an explosive to blow up other items on a range (printers, computer, tvs etc).

Its almost as if the company is afraid of the same thing as most of what was expressed here by quite a few people.

It could also be argued in Canada that mixing together more than 1 pound in a single charge could be outside of the intended use as a commercial target and get anyone without an explosives manufacturing licence in trouble under the Explosives Act. It would be a case with points to argue on both sides but fun for nobody I'm guessing.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 AM

Default Buy Canadian

Kate's Ammo in Calgary carries both binary targets stronger than Tannerite and now in .22LR / 1000fps to detonate.
https://www.ammosupply.ca/
Old 04-25-2015, 12:21 PM

I am rather surprised there are those that want binary targets banned over the potential that someone might do something irresponsible with it. Should we not just get rid of firearms and call it a day? Beer too?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:48 PM

Think of the things that created all the gun laws we have now, compared to the 50's 60's and earlier when shooting was accepted by the non shooting public and tell me how Tanerite and exploding targets will make things better for us.
We keep reading how we need to stick together, well how about the lunatic fringe sticking with the mainstream shooters and stop pushing the limits on what is legal ,that create more restrictions on us..

It wasn't the deer rifle and duck gun that created the mess of licenses and regulations we have now.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:56 PM

To the proponents of blowing stuff up with tannerite on public land. Don't ever ever ever complaint about peoples activities on atv's EVER

just saying......
Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 PM

Uphill battle.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

It wasn't the deer rifle and duck gun that created the mess of licenses and regulations we have now.
Typical Fudd attitude.

It wasn't MY bolt action hunting rifle or pump shotgun that created the rules, it was all the rest of you.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Banned

Had to look up fudd.

Maybe what he posted isn’t really what you assume?
Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
You're right. It was a fear and hatred of ALL firearms including your deer and duck guns.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:20 PM

Tannerite gopher hunting

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Banned

With all of the "anal-retentive suffering going on here" ,,,

someone should market Tannerite Laxatives
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
With all of the "anal-retentive suffering going on here" ,,,

someone should market Tannerite Laxatives
Ha,Ha! I like it! :tongu e2:
Old 04-26-2015, 01:06 PM

I always thought those loud ground shaking booms on the weekend where caused by someone smoking to close to a gas plant. Now I know what causes that.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 PM

We've shot a lot of tannerite, it has very little residual pieces to clean up. But we have cleaned up a lot of assorted garbage from campers on public land that jerks have left behind. Main point is be considerate of other people, clean up after yourself and be aware of the impression you create with the general public. Exploding targets are a blast! Lets not screw it up