Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
It's rather disgusting that the AO hunting forum is allowing canned "hunting" promotion threads to exist here. Hopefully the Admin will consider deleting these type of threads, they really don't belong here on AO.

Shooting pigs raised under an agricultural licence is not Hunting, by Alberta Law. Let's stop describing this as Hunting.

I don't question that shooting livestock can be fun. I have killed many buffalo fenced within a one section of forest. This was not a paid shoot, just helping the farmer cull the herd and make meat. Some days making the kill presented some challenges, even a bit of danger.
But by no means was this Hunting. It was killing captive livestock.

Those who support this farm best consider just what they are paying for, and what they are supporting.Supporting Agricultural pig shooting preserves in Alberta gives support for expanding game farming and canned "hunting".

Ab Agriculture and the provincial government are attempting to expand Game farming, and "hunters" using these operations gives them leverage to continue. Saying Yes to fenced pig shooting is a Yes vote for fenced Elk and Bighorn Sheep shooting.

To the argument that pheasants/chukar shoots are comparable to fenced pigs. These birds have proven to not be a problem when they are released/escape in to the wild. The complete opposite is true for pigs.

I won't give to PETA 'cause I don't support what they stand for. The same applies to paying to shoot fenced pigs.
Hey!... Ok you have had your turn on the soap box... now back to regular programming!...
Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It's rather disgusting that the AO hunting forum is allowing canned "hunting" promotion threads to exist here. Hopefully the Admin will consider deleting these type of threads, they really don't belong here on AO.

Shooting pigs raised under an agricultural licence is not Hunting, by Alberta Law. Let's stop describing this as Hunting.

I don't question that shooting livestock can be fun. I have killed many buffalo fenced within a one section of forest. This was not a paid shoot, just helping the farmer cull the herd and make meat. Some days making the kill presented some challenges, even a bit of danger.

Those who support this farm best consider just what they are paying for, and what they are supporting.Supporting Agricultural pig shooting preserves in Alberta gives support for expanding game farming and canned "hunting".

Ab Agriculture and the provincial government are attempting to expand Game farming, and "hunters" using these operations gives them leverage to continue. Saying Yes to fenced pig shooting is a Yes vote for fenced Elk and Bighorn Sheep shooting.

To the argument that pheasants/chukar shoots are comparable to fenced pigs. These birds have proven to not be a problem when they are released/escape in to the wild. The complete opposite is true for pigs.

I won't give to PETA 'cause I don't support what they stand for. The same applies to paying to shoot fenced pigs.

Regardless of the idea that these are being killed in a mock hunt senario Russian/european hog stocks, have been around the country for many many years the red wadles also have been around for many years lots of places that have never even thought about them "as a canned hunt" have and do raise them so the whole premise of the foe hunt makes little or no difference. At the end of the day this is like going to the farm and dispatching a critter for personal use.

Also AO is a forum that allowes people to share information and ideas that are legal that's all, and the mod's do a fine job of trying to keep everyone happy!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My comment was "tongue in cheek" .....to be fair they are in a fenced encolsure....not free roaming. The one I shot was truly feral and the farmer had them coming into his cattle feed in the mornings ripping stuff up...got mine just after first light...130gr Sierra Gameking right behind the front shoulder @ 80yrds....no exit, found bullet on the off side hide when skinning. Hit him in the heart he stood on his hind legs and fell over backwards.....wish I had a video.

LC
Umm..if you hit the pig right behind the shoulder you woulda hit him in the lungs/liver/spine. The heart is lower down by the elbow. Bit different anatomy than a deer...
Attached Images
File Type: png PIG_ANATOMY-570x381.png (77.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Umm..if you hit the pig right behind the shoulder you woulda hit him in the lungs/liver/spine. The heart is lower down by the elbow. Bit different anatomy than a deer...
My good old Sierra must have "failed" then (separated/fragmented)....he flipped over backwards and when we gutted him the heart had a nice hole in it....proof is in the pudding It was a hard quartering away shot slightly down hill...

You bring up a great point about pig anatomy though....here is another site with information related to that.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-12-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:

Just thought I'd give a little more info on Hog Wild here, seeing as I'm his neighbour. The enclosure that these pigs are released in is almost 100% thick bush. They are released a few days before the you hunt them. So basically you are bowhunting a VERY wild pig in thick brush. Yeah, it's a canned hunt, but drawing a direct correlation b/w it and the push for the farmed hunting of NATIVE species is, in my opinion, quite a stretch.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Banned

Quote:

Go soak your head your overheating. I for one was interested to hear about his experience and may do it myself next time i am in ab. If that makes me less of a hunter in your eyes I could not care less.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Banned

W.B., Looks like you think you are running the show on this forum. I have hunted many times at Hog Wild Specialties and had a fantastic HUNT.

I take it you have not even been there, so shut up and keep the cheap comments to yourself.
By the way Hog Wild Specialties has been an advertiser and supporter of the Outdoorsmen Magazine for many years!
If you feel that strongly about not supporting this type of HUNT or people that do looks like you are in the wrong place. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

I congratulate the OP on having a great time at Earl and Deb's
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsmen101 View Post
W.B., Looks like you think you are running the show on this forum. I have hunted many times at Hog Wild Specialties and had a fantastic HUNT.

I take it you have not even been there, so shut up and keep the cheap comments to yourself.
By the way Hog Wild Specialties has been an advertiser and supporter of the Outdoorsmen Magazine for many years!
If you feel that strongly about not supporting this type of HUNT or people that do looks like you are in the wrong place. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

I congratulate the OP on having a great time at Earl and Deb's
Well said!!!!
Go out and have some fun
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM

Default so matt, whats the difference

So theres bush in the fenced area...... big deal.

Its not fair chase hunting. Its difficult shooting.
Those animals will be dead by the end of the day.

Some people must win when they play. Ok. Fine. Its not hunting as defined by most if not all major hunting organizations.

I know in 'take it and everything else be damned' alberta, we tend to just be all hedonistic....
..but have you ever wondered ...... how the yukky english and US fenced hunt preserve systems started?

It started by doing stuff alot like this. Our actions will impact our community.... make no mistake about it.

What kind of alberta do we all want? Our little hunt/shoot actions have been noticed by Queen Allison ...... and the deer_elk farmers are watching as well.....

Hell

I might go out there and shoot a pig as well. My hunting cabin is close and pig is fun to shoot.... funner to eat.

Im still not sure what im going to do...... yummy pig! Mmmmmmm!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Banned

Just out of a point of interest Hog Wild Specialties has been in business for TWENTY YEARS.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Bessie, this is more about a man finding a way to make his business more profitable. If you don't like it fine, but it's not, repeat NOT, related to the recent push for canned hunting of native species.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Banned

I'd rather find one the old fashioned way.
Mind you that's easier said than done when it comes to hogs.

One of these days though I'll bump into the right guy and find a place where they are hanging out or... I'll just luck out and be in the right place at the right time.

Knock on wood....
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM

well were to start.... earl is a top notch guy..the hunt is hard and dangerous...canned i say not but his land is fenced..if you have hunted pigs you know they are smart. really smart and very aggressive. we all have our belifes but if someone wants to go to hog wild why do we fry them. we are all hunters and at times we may opt to go on hunts behind a fence. its not for every one but it is our choice. yes there are pigs in the wild but try to get one. you can hunt them for years before getting one. its to bad that this board has become a place of forcing opinions on others. i used to learn alot here but now a guy has to watch what he says and tag an animal before he takes a pic or he will get crucified by members here. advice is good but pushing your ethic's is not right.
rob
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM

bessiedoy hit the nail on the head why do you think the Elk & Deer farmers wanted to be deemed Livestock by the Alberta Gov. We had a big debate on AO and a letter campaign. As for making his business more profitable get out of hogs like the rest of us. As a land owner in Alberta I believe All wild hogs should be tattooed so when these things get loose some already ,we will know where to send the bill for cleaning up the problem. I could go on about hogs and the problems feral hogs add wild ones in just a bigger pain in the ***.
Just my .02 Alan
Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My good old Sierra must have "failed" then (separated/fragmented)....he flipped over backwards and when we gutted him the heart had a nice hole in it....proof is in the pudding It was a hard quartering away shot slightly down hill...

You bring up a great point about pig anatomy though....here is another site with information related to that.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

LC
Who knows. I've seen bullets do weird things in my life. nothin like seein a guy shot in the neck and have the bullet come out his arse...lol
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Default 600$

why pay to hunt boar, you can come done here and hunt them for free, some stupid rancher bought a bunch years ago and they all got out, i worry when my kids are outside by themselves.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs View Post
why pay to hunt boar, you can come done here and hunt them for free, some stupid rancher bought a bunch years ago and they all got out, i worry when my kids are outside by themselves.
PM inc.....mine will be 1001 out of the million.....

LC

....but seriously I am sending you a PM about this....
Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM

I believe some counties have a bounty on them make a $ while your at it. I'm sure I read in the paper $50.00 for a pair of ear's.

Alan
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Ok, so we know that these "tame" hogs have been running around the province for twenty or more years. If they are easy to kill like cattle and will thrive in the Alberta wild, plus there is an open season with no bag limits, then everyone except me shoots tones of these things every year?
I am aware of what they are doing in the southern U.S. but it isnt hapening here is it?
Congratulations to the op! Sounds like you had a blast! When I get back to Canada I am going to book a big hunt for a group of friends. I think that everyone should try it and I dare you not to have fun! Those that don't want to join can sit in the corner with their arms folded frowning and say "It is not a real hunt" and that is ok but when Earl fires up the grill you will probably come join us at the table.