Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Nope. Just bought a Sako Bavarian topped with a Zeiss. Probably not a POS by many people's standards.
Congrats that's one expensive POS.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Congrats that's one expensive POS.
Now that's a good one!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Not about preferance at all. Im not sure who posted about lovin lambos but drives a crap ford. Biggest reason is cost. The difference between a "budget or cheap" rifle compared to a mid-high level rifle may only be 600 or so bucks. But alot of guys cant afford to spend that extra 600. Pretty easy. I could afford to park my S&L and replace with a $1000 rifle, But I can kiss my season good by if I did that. I dont think these "cheap" rifles should be labeled as such, Maybe budget-friendly rifles would sound better.

If you can afford to buy a higher end gun, thats great good for you. But who are you to criticize the guy who cant. The people who do are probably the same people who make the lives of fastfood workers a living hell.
Take some initiative, save a few dollars, and spend an extra hundred or two on a used rifle. I have borrowed rifles to hunt with while saving and waiting for what I really wanted.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM

It is one thing to state that a certain rifle is of lower quality and then cite some examples of what makes it so it is quite another to call it a pos

It speaks volumes of a persons character
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Take some initiative, save a few dollars, and spend an extra hundred or two on a used rifle. I have borrowed rifles to hunt with while saving and waiting for what I really wanted.
lol!!!...okay....hahahahaha!!!! you can't afford a "good" one, but you're not above borrowing something that is below you from a friend???...nice, real nice.....
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds good man, Again ill use another personal situation. Me I have a S&L rechambered to 7mmRM handed down from my grandfather I would like to retire. I shot a buck in 2011 with it and the 100lb deer of the south, well basically not much left of that lil guy. So I wanted a smaller caliber. Now that im basically the sole provider of my house hold, at the time I had 4 pets and all eat good food, runs me about $200 or so a month just to feed the pets. Now we have the wife and her school needs then rent and normal bills. With one income coming in and being relativly new to leth no one to borrow from, buying a cheap POS rifle was the best way to go. That $300 purchase was more then money well spent. Can hit the paper with the near best of em, kills em just as dead and works just as good as a 1000 rifle. Guess what for the money iv spent on that rifle I now have a deer rifle that works like a hot damn.

Dont get me wrong, when the wife is done school and working full time (cant come soon enough) Ill be buying a rem700 XCRII topped with a fine vortex viper HS-T to retire my S&L. But when you can only have X amount of "extra" money you gotta buy what you can.

Not many people selling "cheap"er midgrade rifles, most want darn near what they paid.

Chuck obviously you are pretty firm on your opinions and thats fine, Im not gonna be able to change your views, no one can but you. But you gotta see it from the guys view who cant afford much, you dont know peoples life situations and if a guy can only afford a package axis and a tag and a few tanks of gas, whats the problem??
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I feel better buying cheap junk over expensive junk. Then I can ultimately buy more junk.
True story Deer Hunter has an entire room dedicated to his savage axis collection I have seen it with my own eyes.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I feel better buying cheap junk over expensive junk. Then I can ultimately buy more junk.
Your right, I have a pos rem887 Nitromag (outshoots the benelli in my group), I have an sks (beats the hell outta banging the 7Mag while camping and such) I have an axis put deer in the back of my truck no better then any other rifle, got a cooey 600 for plinking.

The 2 rifles I didnt buy were given to me. The Shultz&Larsen rechambered to 7Mag and the SR-22 both of those are worth more then a grand the way they sit. Besides shooting gophers with the SR-22, guess which one I shoot most?.......... If your thinking that $350 Shotty you are right. Sure there are nicer guns then that but iv been on more hunts where the expensive guns failed to operate or they were to expensive to get "dirty or scratched" then mine failed. THere was one and only 1 time that POS failed, that was during hunting mud flats for ducks, that thing was so full of silt you couldnt even bring the pump back, 300 or 4000 shotty it woulda failed regardless.

I like to have many options of what to shoot, wouldnt have much fun if I only had 1 expensive rifle. One of my next purchases for a rifle will actually be an SVT-40 for 250 bucks, whats wrong with that price??? Oh right I know its not close to a grand
Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
My household is a licensed foster home. My wife took a leave of absence from her teaching career to provide a home for children who cannot stay with at home due to safety concerns. We have given up a lot to persue this lifestyle. A second income is probably the biggest.

Maybe your right. I should take some initiative. I like the outdoors. And this may be sac religious talk on here. But it is FAR from my number one priotity.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I would be willing to bet that there is not a single person on here that did not start out with a hand me down rifle from family, I know I did, when I got out on my own, with a family, I scrounged up 200 bucks finally to buy a used 77, liked the gun, shot lots of animals with it, acquired other guns along the way, but that was my go to gun. Since then , I have acquired a few different ones that "I" like.... but none of them kill anything deader than that old .303 of my Dad's....shoot it well, you will do fine...whatever it is......

When I was 14 or so my dad took me down to one of the local gun dealers and he bought a brand new Parker Hale Super Safari in 30-06...seems to me he paid about $135.00 for it. He already had one in the 'plain jane' model at home. To my surprise when we got home he asked me which one I wanted, he said it was my pick.........I miss my dad, but my daughter now uses that PH for her hunts.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM

cheap junk is exactly that cheap junk. that being said, I hunted 90% of my life with cheap, hand-me down, 1/2 broken garbage....and have never been hungry. I advise based on the knowledge I have gained by using this stuff. there is a abundance of expensive junk out there too!!! my own eg: my last purchase a weatherby mark v ,....didn't shoot worth a beans, like 2 1/2 inch groups @ 100......tinker with the load, tinker with bullets, tinker with the gun, tinker , tinker tinker...like I have NEVER done with a 500$ gun.......will now run a ragged hole. and lets not forget my optics,....after I got my gun shooting right,....I now have what has become affectionately known as " froof " floating around in it....nightforce...lol....

I like the guys who buy the best of the best of the best,....and hit the range to make milk jug shots......cause, holy cow don't scratch it.

cheap guns are great, and a ragged hole on paper never guarantees a trophy on the wall.....least where I come from.

I have seen some BIG animals on the walls of friends homes, that were shot with JUNK....but in their hands,.....are top shelf

all that being said,...the only company that I have NEVER had an issue with junk to date....on any level,...has been Leica.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
My household is a licensed foster home. My wife took a leave of absence from her teaching career to provide a home for children who cannot stay with at home due to safety concerns. We have given up a lot to persue this lifestyle. A second income is probably the biggest.

Maybe your right. I should take some initiative. I like the outdoors. And this may be sac religious talk on here. But it is FAR from my number one priotity.
Some folks lives are so monotonous that they must get their kicks here any which way they can....take it with a grain of salt.....
Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
When I was 14 or so my dad took me down to one of the local gun dealers and he bought a brand new Parker Hale Super Safari in 30-06...seems to me he paid about $135.00 for it. He already had one in the 'plain jane' model at home. To my surprise when we got home he asked me which one I wanted, he said it was my pick.........I miss my dad, but my daughter now uses that PH for her hunts.
so...you took the new one????.....
Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM

When a hunter can bring them in close enough to give them a scratch behind the ears, the gun just needs to fire. My long gone 30-30 iron sight was basically a community gun. Call that gun a pos and 20 people will cash cheques that their a__es have the ability to write... or something like that.

Seriously. We shot a variation of bullet that was a mix of copper, lead and plastic, mostly plastic (which was yellow in color) out of it. Our shots were usually under 30 yards. To this day deer sit around the fire and tell legends about that thing.

My Ruger 7mm Rem Mag skeleton stock was/is equally a rifle of many memories for many people. The bolt on that thing had some sand get in there on one of its many "oops I'm lost, I thought the road was this way, its getting dark and I think I'm going to have to poop soon but the toilet paper is in the truck and grass never works and I don't want to get it on my fingers like last time and I think the trees are watching me and don't think of ghosts, don't think of ghosts, don't think of ghosts, oh there was a chilly spot in the air, ghosts for sure, just pooped... journeys" so it's really scratched up and needs the strength of a pipe fitter to wrench that sucker open. The stock and barrel are marked up and shows real wear. It's my rifle. It could be any rifle. The store owner in Edmonton pulled it off the shelf after I told him what and where I hunted and lived. He picked well for me. It once saved my life. It will always be my gun. It's more than a gun really, after everything it's been through with me, it's more like a good friend. I wouldn't care what anyone said about it.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
lol!!!...okay....hahahahaha!!!! you can't afford a "good" one, but you're not above borrowing something that is below you from a friend???...nice, real nice.....
?????
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Good post, but I think you may have missed one, or did you leave us out deliberately? Kidding!

How about us older fellas who pack something familiar that works?
We have the money for a newer, Rifle, Boat, Pickup, or whatever but we choose to spend our money on things that are more important to us, or leave it in the bank.

We have learned that it doesn't take the latest/greatest to get the job done, and more often then not, the old tools are less hassle then the new toys.

I could keep my old 1976 Ford F150 going for years without ever taking it to a Mechanic. These fancy pants rigs today can only be fixed by a engineer/computer programer/electronics repairman/master mechanic.

Then there is the cost of repairs. Scratch one of those fancy new guns and you are looking a hundreds of dollars in repairs. Trying to do it yourself will more then likely destroy the value of your new toy.
I can bang my old .06 around all I want and not have to worry about costly repair bills.

See us older guys have learned that it's the guy behind the trigger that makes the biggest difference.
Money can get one a shiny new toy but it can't make a good shooter out of a poor shooter or make a competent hunter out of an incompetent hunter.

But time and a lot of practice can. We have had the time and practice, we can do just fine with whatever we have in hand.
Agree
Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 PM

The DSM might describe these symptoms as a mild case of PDD-NOS.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
True story Deer Hunter has an entire room dedicated to his savage axis collection I have seen it with my own eyes.
Pics or it never happened
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
And...its worth more now than when it was brand spanking new.
I have two...my main date...and the bit on the side in case my main date can't go dancing.

Good solid rifles...peaned barrels... they certainly wouldn't be entry level if they were still being produced right now.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM

At the end of the day, just ask yourself: does your rifle perform as well as it needs to? Do you trust it enough to take a shot at a living creature? There you go. It doesn't matter how much you spend as long as you've got something that works. Bells and whistles aren't necessary.

Both my rifles are "junk" by most people's standards, but I bet you I can probably take my deer just as ethically, cleanly and quickly as you with my 100 year-old, iron sighted milsurp rifles. And I still have a few hundred in my pocket from the money I saved on them (total cost of both rifles... <$1000). My rifles are just what they need to be, nothing more. I bought them to shoot animals, and that's about it.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM

Alot of it also depends on how far away from the truck you hunt.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Alot of it also depends on how far away from the truck you hunt.
explain?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Because for some people, something is junk regardless of performance and reliability.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Alot of it also depends on how far away from the truck you shoot.
There...fixed it for ya.
I guess if thats the case...it does make a stronger argument for a high end rifle.
Lord know those POS entry level rifles can't reach out from the road and fill a tag as well as a high end sniper rig might.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 PM

Default trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDaLeonardo View Post
At the end of the day, just ask yourself: does your rifle perform as well as it needs to? Do you trust it enough to take a shot at a living creature? ..... My rifles are just what they need to be, nothing more. I bought them to shoot animals, and that's about it.

Just my two cents.
Yeah, trust in the shooter/rifle combo is SO important. Without this trust my shooting falls apart. Lack of experience I guess.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
There...fixed it for ya.
I guess if thats the case...it does make a stronger argument for a high end rifle.
Lord know those POS entry level rifles can't reach out from the road and fill a tag as well as a high end sniper rig might.
You're lost completely. Accuracy, long range accuracy, has little to do with it.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Oh, as an aside. I've been happily married to one woman for 14 years. Why? Because I didn't compromise.
And how long have you been married to her in total?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
The DSM might describe these symptoms as a mild case of PDD-NOS.
Psych student.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
And how long have you been married to her in total?
Did I stutter?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Banned

Sorry but no way in hell i would trust a axis or anything under 800$ they would make a good kids gun to fool around with and use as a hammer thats about it there garbage
Closed Thread