Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which brand do you like?
Honda 79 43.41%
Yamaha 41 22.53%
Polaris 36 19.78%
None of the above. 26 14.29%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM

To all ya anti Polaris guys.

I have polaris, honda, kawasaki and suzuki and have owned a Canam. Never owned a Artic Cat and never intend too.

My little 400 Suzuki is a heck of a quad. Boy rides the Polaris and Kawasaki mostly as its got the speed and power they crave. I just putt along. I am old.

They all tug moose though.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-19-2010, 05:10 PM

I was told to avoid electric shifts. They don't work as well in the cold I heard. This is what I am exactly hoping to get in a good used quad:

4x4, switch out between 2 and 4 wheel drive is not a major issue but would be nice.
Manual shift, switch out between manual and electric shift would be nice, but not a requirement.
350cc to 400cc or thereabouts.
Winch (at least 2000lb)
Speedomoter and odometer
High riding, as to drive over stumps and rocks. Got stuck on a couple stumps with the old '96 Big Bear.
Red, green, yellow, color is not a huge issue. Realtree camo would be nice!
'99 and up
Brushguards, these are a must!
Tough and durable, needed for budhwhacking, ploughing through mud, the general hunting uses but also needed for checking fencelines, checking cattle, hauling salt, so also general farm and ranch uses.
$3500 or less.

That about covers the requirements. The lot we looked at a bunch of used quads at go over all their machines and make sure they are in proper running order and replace any parts that are wearing, come with a 90 day warranty and are in our price range. So if you guys here are selling a quad and think it might fit what we need hit me up with a message. Not to be rude, but please don't send me offers for quads that will be needing work or replacement parts.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
One of the most honest statements of this whole thread.
The new ones will not survive a beating that the old 300, 400, and 450s could. Of the old technology quads, the 300 and 450 may have been the best quads built.
I can only speak for two honda quads that I owned and various company quads. One a 1987 350 Honda fourtrax (still working) and the other a 2007 Rincon with 1500 miles and not a thing done to fix it. 1500 miles isn't much but its been rolled three times, cranked a tree at 15 mph that threw me, and everything is still perfect. I notice no difference in quality.

Lonewolf, check out south of the border from Xtreme (their in Ohio), shipped my brand new bike to Great Falls for $8000 all included. A 400-500 quad would run you $6500. Something to consider with the exchange rate right now.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerman View Post
Once you ride a can-am all others just fell like cheap little powerless toy's for the kids.
I did allot of research before buying my Bombardier Can-am. My quad is a workhorse, hauling wood out of the bush, hunting, etc. My little 500XT can do more than any of my buddies Honda's or Polaris' by a longshot. There's no comparison when it comes to torque and power. It'll cost you a bit more but you won't have to upgrade anything (ie. tires).

Do yourself a favour and compare the Can-am to the other brands that you mentioned. They've got some good video, etc on their website. You'll find that a smaller Can-am will out do the other bigger brands. And the 800XT, that's just extreme if you ask me!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
It'll cost you a bit more but you won't have to upgrade anything (ie. tires).
Nobody that I ride with uses stock tires,including those people that ride Can Ams.Even the factory tires on the Can Ams are not aggressive enough for use in muskeg,unless you enjoy winching.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:49 PM

I have been a Honda man my whole life and my family has owned most brands except for Polaris.

I think the old Honda 350 and Forman 400 were the best quads ever made for toughness and reliability..

I used to mile out a quad in 2 years when I was a youngwhipper snapper and gave most atvs I owned a hardcore torture test

Honda is still one of the most reliable quads on the market but I finally decided to switch brands as I was sick of the rough ride and always being underpowered.

I bought a Can Am 800 2 years ago and am very happy with it.The ride,suspension and power is second to none imo.So far my quad has been very reliable with no breakdowns and if this trend continues I dont see myself switching anytime soon.

Only brand of quad i would never buy is Polaris.I have lots of buddies that own them and they always spend the most time in the shop or at the end of a tow rope
Old 03-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Nobody that I ride with uses stock tires,including those people that ride Can Ams.Even the factory tires on the Can Ams are not aggressive enough for use in muskeg,unless you enjoy winching.
I think out of the stock tires if you look around the ones that come on a Can Am are hard to beat. Most of the other brands pick there tires to equip there stock machines based on weight. The lower the weight of the tires they equip the machine with the better they can advertise it having a lower dry weight
Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I think out of the stock tires if you look around the ones that come on a Can Am are hard to beat.
The Arctic Cat Mud Pro atvs come with Zillas,which provide far superior traction.If I was to buy one of those atvs,I would not replace the tires until they were worn out,however,I would replace the tires on any other atv before heading out into the muskeg.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4uRuss View Post
I think out of the stock tires if you look around the ones that come on a Can Am are hard to beat. Most of the other brands pick there tires to equip there stock machines based on weight. The lower the weight of the tires they equip the machine with the better they can advertise it having a lower dry weight
x2 I found the Can Am stock tires to be fairly aggresive and to be just fine.I am running them untill they are worn out..
Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
x2 I found the Can Am stock tires to be fairly aggresive and to be just fine.I am running them untill they are worn out..
x3 Me too. The only things that I put on my quad non-stock were a thumb warmer, the wheel well extensions to help with stopping the mud from flying around a trailer ball for the hitch. I pulled full loads of bucked up birch out of the bush in a 8'x4' trailer with 4' sides with no problem. Four wheel low gear handled the hills well.

As for tires you have to remember what the OP wanted the atv for:

Good for checking fence, checking cattle, driving in the bush, etc.

The stock Can-am tires are better than any stock tires on other brands and will be more than what he needs to do the job.

BrownBear - I've driven one of those 800XT's. They are absolutely nutz! They were the fastest stock atv's in production a couple of years ago, I don't know about now. If you want power that's the one to buy! There's no problem pulling a moose out of the bush with that one!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Funny thing but I just finished doing spring service and maintenance on my two Honda Quads--one is an 05 500 ForemanES and the other,my favorite, is an 85 250 Fastrax 250--I like it cause it's smaller and get around trees etc much more easily- Heack the new stuff is the size of a car and won't go on many trails I use for hunting- checking fence and cows etc.as for new UTV's and other side by side-might as well take my farm truck.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Arctic Cat Mud Pro atvs come with Zillas,which provide far superior traction.If I was to buy one of those atvs,I would not replace the tires until they were worn out,however,I would replace the tires on any other atv before heading out into the muskeg.
Yes the Zillas are a very good tire I put a set on the GF sportsman and they are leaps ahead of the ones we took off.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. We decided on a '03 Honda Foretrax in amazing shape. Will let you all know what I think after we get it home and drive it a bit.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=honda450;539959]To all ya anti Polaris guys.

Save your breath Honda, I still don't understand the hatred for Polaris. Mine are 3-4 years old and other than a belt on the 700 have never broke down or left me stranded ever. I know guys that have them & are happy with no complaints.

I haul logs out of the bush, taken un acountable loads of rocks, sand, gravel, & dirt with my 700 x2 2up. My wife load rocks in the box until the front wheels were read to start floating. All this for the last 3 years + trail riding in winter & summer, use it for ice fishing, rolled it 3 times hell it's got a little broken plastic but runs excellent.

Hmmm must have gotten lucky & bought a couple of one in a hundred.

Oh by the way I rode Med Lake a couple of years ago in -25c with some forum members. There was a grizz, 2 Hondas, & a Can Am. My shi__y Polaris was the only one to fire up un assisted after the 1 hour drive out there. I went where ever eveyone else did & was never winched, pulled or pushed. Didn't breakdown or broke anything.

GO POLARIS
Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Well i have a 04 600 Polaris but i should have bought 2 ,one to ride and one to scrap for parts. I would sell it but i don't hate anybody that much heck i even left the key in it for a yr and no one would even steal it.
I miss my old Tri-Z 250
Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 PM

By far it's Honda for me. Seen way too many Polaris' broke down or over heating on the trail.I have an old, 1986, 250 sx that starts on the second kick and runs like a top.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker34 View Post
By far it's Honda for me. Seen way too many Polaris' broke down or over heating on the trail.I have an old, 1986, 250 sx that starts on the second kick and runs like a top.
Yup and I have pulled Honda's out with my Polaris because they don't have the power to get out on their own.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker34 View Post
Thats truly funny

Hey I am riding with a bud with a Ricon at Hylo next weekend. He is the one I sat & waited & watched him trying to climb an icy hill at Brud with Honda's great 4x4 system. We finally felt sorry for him & a Grizz pulled him up. My PO PO went up no problem.

True story

We will see how he does this year
Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. We decided on a '03 Honda Foretrax in amazing shape. Will let you all know what I think after we get it home and drive it a bit.
What size motor does it have? Honda is a good reliable machine.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 AM

I have 2 Polaris quads a 2001 325 magnum + 2001 500HO Sportsman and repairs are very costly they are a great quad but to much cost to repair even the smallest thing.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:53 AM

Can Am for sure
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Thumbs up Best Brand of Quad?

The voting portion should say it all. Honda wins hands down. I have two 98 300 Fourtrax with 7000kms on them and they have never let me down. I may not be the first to get to a destination and my arms and arse might be sore; but I will get there......and back!
Yamaha
Can Am
Polaris
Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Lonewolf, check out south of the border from Xtreme (their in Ohio), shipped my brand new bike to Great Falls for $8000 all included. A 400-500 quad would run you $6500. Something to consider with the exchange rate right now.
Did the $8000 include GST and safety inspection? I am told there is no warranty if you purchase new from the US unless you take it back there??
Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM

Lone wolf............ the voting numbers speak for themselves
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM

Think I would buy Honda, still the Bombardier Can-am's look nice and seem good but crap I just won't pay for something twice and we have been supporting them with our tax dollars forever
Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Think I would buy Honda, still the Bombardier Can-am's look nice and seem good but crap I just won't pay for something twice and we have been supporting them with our tax dollars forever
Canam's are made in Mexico now Donny, they took the money and run.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Actually it has been a seperate company for years...the planes and trains we can complain about not the boats Seadoo SkiDoos and CanAms
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What size motor does it have? Honda is a good reliable machine.
350cc. I know, not a big one but our previous quad was a 350 and met all of our needs.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Canam's are made in Mexico now Donny, they took the money and run.
it went from wee wee to see see and I neber eben nuidit
Old 03-21-2010, 08:07 PM

I have a 05 efi 500 ho sportsman polaris,,,,,looks way better than most other quads. For now, it runs good and have had no troubles to date. Hope it stays that way but for those with other makes I hope you like them and that they all run good for a long time.