Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Holy, you ever been in this area ? The trophy potential in the prairies I would think would be the worst for all of Alberta actually... You can see for miles and miles, a trophy here is measured by number of points on the racks
Any area surrounding a sanctuary has trophy potential even on the prairies. Doesn't take a conservation expert such as yourself to see that
Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
When they started mining cadomin it wasn't intended as a bighorn habitat. The examples go on and on.
Creating Bighorn habitat WAS part of the remediation plan for Cadomin....

---------

Best Wishes Don, have a good Hunt.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboots View Post
I'm not against the natives having their hunting right, They were here first, they should be able to hunt what they need. That being said they should have to follow the same hunting hours (1/2 hour before dawn, 1/2 hour after dusk), and if a animal is protected, not be able to shoot them either, like the caribou, grizzles etc.
Damn rights. I am so sick of seeing them just heading out to hunt when legal hunting time is over. It is illegal for them too so I wish someone would stand up and do something about it!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
Damn rights. I am so sick of seeing them just heading out to hunt when legal hunting time is over. It is illegal for them too so I wish someone would stand up and do something about it!
Have you contacted F&W about this?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Holy, you ever been in this area ? The trophy potential in the prairies I would think would be the worst for all of Alberta actually... You can see for miles and miles, a trophy here is measured by number of points on the racks

You are missing the point or deflecting the answer!!! The point is... If there was a mass cull/annihilation of the trophy whitetails in the area you hunt...I doubt you would be quick to defend the actions of those that abuse the resource. So you don't value an elk heard... That is obvious. Doesn't mean that others should sit idly and not express disgust with this mess!!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
Any area surrounding a sanctuary has trophy potential even on the prairies. Doesn't take a conservation expert such as yourself to see that
Genius you are, you think the trophies you describe don't know what a fence is dividing said sanctuary ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbllung View Post
You are missing the point or deflecting the answer!!! The point is... If there was a mass cull/annihilation of the trophy whitetails in the area you hunt...I doubt you would be quick to defend the actions of those that abuse the resource. So you don't value an elk heard... That is obvious. Doesn't mean that others should sit idly and not express disgust with this mess!!
Dude, there is NO mass cull here, at best we will sustain the number of elk at near 8000.... Where is the abuse of this resource ? This whole thing that the natives are mopping up the trophies is pure bull... This is fact, not fiction or what you and may others have read on AO or other public forums.

I am disgusted actually on the mismanagement of this herd, look at the social issues we are facing today... Here is where the disgust is placed in my mind, not the elk, nor the natives but the responsible parties that mismanaged this fiasco in the first place.

Anyways you all enjoy your season as this guy is out of this conversation.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
"Thanks natives, well done!!!"- I'd call that bashing crownb

What DK stated that he heard from a guy who heard from a guy is called hearsay....
Once again it's fact, like the op says some people might not like the optics of the situation but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it.
The op said he talked to a landowner who experienced this, it wasn't he said or I heard or we saw and then we told them, it was something he saw.
If people keep turning a blind eye to some of these scenerios
It will be to late to bring them back.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Genius you are, you think the trophies you describe don't know what a fence is dividing said sanctuary ?
I apologize, I was completely unaware that trophy sized elk have never left the suffield base.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dude, there is NO mass cull here, at best we will sustain the number of elk at near 8000.... Where is the abuse of this resource ? This whole thing that the natives are mopping up the trophies is pure bull... This is fact, not fiction or what you and may others have read on AO or other public forums.

I am disgusted actually on the mismanagement of this herd, look at the social issues we are facing today... Here is where the disgust is placed in my mind, not the elk, nor the natives but the responsible parties that mismanaged this fiasco in the first place.

Anyways you all enjoy your season as this guy is out of this conversation.

Maybe you can go out and get some pics of the big Bulls you have down there and pop back I. This thread in a couple days and put everyone at ease.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:43 PM

Default Simple Question

When an animal is taken is it tested for CWD ...?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:04 PM

I may get blasted for these questions, but I have never really had an interest in Elk hunting (moose all the way) so my knowledge of this hunt is limited. If this is too much of a derail and delete.

What is the original purpose of the hunt? Is it a cull or a trophy hunt? If it is a cull then why are people targeting bulls in the first place? You do not reduce a heard by taking out the bulls. As long as there is one bull is left to breed the cows the best you can hope for is to maintain the status quo.

Were Natives asked to participate in a cull, or are they exercising traditional rights to harvest? If it is traditional rights to harvest then why does Alberta not mandate that they cut the antlers in half such as is done in many states. It is, after all, for the meat.

Why doesn't the ESRD enforce the no hunting at night law? It can't be because SCC rulings. They expressly ruled that only 2 bands (both in BC) have that right.

I wish everyone the best of luck on there hunts!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I may get blasted for these questions, but I have never really had an interest in Elk hunting (moose all the way) so my knowledge of this hunt is limited. If this is too much of a derail and delete.

What is the original purpose of the hunt? Is it a cull or a trophy hunt? If it is a cull then why are people targeting bulls in the first place? You do not reduce a heard by taking out the bulls. As long as there is one bull is left to breed the cows the best you can hope for is to maintain the status quo.

Were Natives asked to participate in a cull, or are they exercising traditional rights to harvest? If it is traditional rights to harvest then why does Alberta not mandate that they cut the antlers in half such as is done in many states. It is, after all, for the meat.

Why doesn't the ESRD enforce the no hunting at night law? It can't be because SCC rulings. They expressly ruled that only 2 bands (both in BC) have that right.

Originally the elk were introduced to graze Suffield after the feral horses were removed. They prospered and there became a significant population which allowed a new HUNTING OPPORTUNITY for Albertans, trophy, meat, anything it was an opportunity. The low quota numbers and seasons allowed the elk herd to continue growing basically unchecked. Until it got to the point it needed culling. Which is what the on base hunts were intended for.

The natives were invited on the base to help with the cull, and have always been able to exercise treaty rights outside the base. It has become more popular with them as each year goes on, basically "word got out".

not enforcing the night hunting well... any reply to that will be deleted by the mods most likely.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Should have to forfeit the heads or antlers if you are subsistence hunting. If you have a tag by all means keep them
Old 09-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post

I have heard this solution offered up many times here before. Do as Alaska and cut the skull plate in half. What is the point of that besides being disallowed by B&C? You truly want to substinance hunt, all animals are to be registered so numbers of harvest are well documented as well as any and all antlers/horns are forefeited to the crown upon registration. Suppose substinance harvest might drop a wee bit?

Last edited by MountainTi; 09-11-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:28 PM

All the visual equipment to catch someone hunting at night would be readily accessible on the base. May as well use it rather leaving it sit idle. Idle no more lol
Old 09-11-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
You truly want to substinance hunt, all animals are to be registered so numbers of harvest are well documented and any and all antlers/horns are forefeited to the crown upon registration.
Absolutely! Simple regulatory change that suits everyone's best interests for future opportunities AND fits within the treaty as stated by "subject to such regulations as may from time to time be made by Her Government of Her Dominion of Canada,"

As for the op, I'm confident his efforts will pay off with a closed tag on the quarry he's after. Good luck! Keep at it
Old 09-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally the elk were introduced to graze Suffield after the feral horses were removed. They prospered and there became a significant population which allowed a new HUNTING OPPORTUNITY for Albertans, trophy, meat, anything it was an opportunity. The low quota numbers and seasons allowed the elk herd to continue growing basically unchecked. Until it got to the point it needed culling. Which is what the on base hunts were intended for.

The natives were invited on the base to help with the cull, and have always been able to exercise treaty rights outside the base. It has become more popular with them as each year goes on, basically "word got out".

not enforcing the night hunting well... any reply to that will be deleted by the mods most likely.
That was the biggest screw-up of the entire situation, allowing indians access on the base for the cull while hunters who would have happily purchased tags sat and read about it. Somebodies head should roll for that decision
Old 09-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Taking a break... After a 15 mile march and nothing to show except some mulie sightings we are gonna have lunch and a cold beverage. Cactus berries are out and tasting sweet. Saw a couple snakes too. Can't wait til Sunday, at least we will be fishing.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Default Still there

Quote:
How could someone kill a BIG bull Cat ? Don't you read AO ? There is no animals left in these parts and certainly no trophies.... There have been a few big bull tagged this week and more than enough to go around.

This whole bash the natives stuff is getting really old, this fiasco here is sad and remember this is a cull...

Best of luck to all.
Well I agree completely Sled but a mutal friend was in a group found 399 inches on opening morning and we put him on an equally big one yesterday I havent heard the results yet. Landowners a long way of base a complaining of herds of 70 plus bulls destorying fields I have seen the damage.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadirk View Post
Well I agree completely Sled but a mutal friend was in a group found 399 inches on opening morning and we put him on an equally big one yesterday I havent heard the results yet. Landowners a long way of base a complaining of herds of 70 plus bulls destorying fields I have seen the damage.
Ya man, seen the bull... Not sure he does 399 but one heck of a trophy. Ministers tag was clipped today thou
Old 09-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Which ministers tag? Raffle or auction? How big?
Old 09-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootem View Post
Which ministers tag? Raffle or auction? How big?
Not exactly sure of all the details but I would have tagged it
Old 09-11-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Taking a break... After a 15 mile march and nothing to show except some mulie sightings we are gonna have lunch and a cold beverage. Cactus berries are out and tasting sweet. Saw a couple snakes too. Can't wait til Sunday, at least we will be fishing.
Nap time's over - get after'm Don!
Hope you ground a cranker!
Cat
Old 09-11-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Ya man, seen the bull... Not sure he does 399 but one heck of a trophy. Ministers tag was clipped today thou
A 399 and a Ministers Tag elk, pretty impressive for a cull hunt in the prairies where trophies never leave the sanctuary due to a 5 strand barb wire fence.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
A 399 and a Ministers Tag elk, pretty impressive for a cull hunt in the prairies where trophies never leave the sanctuary due to a 5 strand barb wire fence.
You got a problem with me Troll, send me a message.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Well this is interesting and depressing as I have a tag for Nov to Dec outside of the base. I know the crap show the native hunt caused inside the base last year. Looks like it's happening outside too. I'm wondering if we tag hunters will be hunting beside native hunters for the rest of the hunting season outside of the base as well.

Crazy. Hope you find what your looking for Don K. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Not exactly sure of all the details but I would have tagged it
Me too....it's a keeper!

LC
Old 09-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Default Ministers tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Me too....it's a keeper!

LC
Well Lefty you Sledhead and myself have the same opinion about the bull. Not up to us to post the pictures of it. But damn nice bull and part of the benefit of living and working in and around the base.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:02 PM

I don't get why they should have to cut the antlers in half ?
What's the purpose?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I don't get why they should have to cut the antlers in half ?
What's the purpose?
So it can be assured it is a substinance hunt rather than a trophy hunt. And antlers should be forfeited, not cut in half