Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM

Just a suggestion to you folks to the North...

Costa Rica
Your welcome.

Osky
Old 02-06-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Costa Rica is great!! We go in December and come back in April. Haven't thought of buying, we just rent. We have rented in Jaco and Tamarindo but this trip moved up to Papagayo. I like renting as we can choose to stay in different parts of the Country. Maybe next year the Caribbean side. Great fishing! Lots of other things to do.

However I don't think I could live year round....Grandbabies, hunting, fishing here in Canada and abroad I just couldn't miss out.
One of my chef buddies moved to Costa Rica in 2007 and works as a realtor for Remax Tres Amigos in Playa Hermosa.
Curious what a decent place rents for in Papagayo? How does it compare to the other places you have rented in Jaco and Tamarindo?
Old 02-07-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
One of my chef buddies moved to Costa Rica in 2007 and works as a realtor for Remax Tres Amigos in Playa Hermosa.
Curious what a decent place rents for in Papagayo? How does it compare to the other places you have rented in Jaco and Tamarindo?
It depends what you want. A decent condo can vary from 1200 USD to upwards of 4000 USD per month. It also depends on how long term you are renting for. We got a 2500 square foot Villa (not ocean front) on a 4 month term for 3800 USD per month. It has a pool, garden etc.. That includes utilities yard and pool maintenance.

Jaco was a bit too busy (same as Coco Beach). Jaco and Tamarindo both the same with prices being all over the map depending on what you want and how long of a rental term.

One thing I will add if you book with the same owner for a few years the terms also get better.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:01 AM

Default Anyone think

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The reason Canada is in the state its in is because the public sucks. Allow me to explain.

We complain a lot about government. Trudeau, Harper, Mulroney, etc etc etc

The problem is, WE decide who gets to be in government by way of voting. WE are responsible for the issues Canada has.

The public are the worst bosses ever. We rarely know exactly who we vote for, we really dont know what they plan on doing, we dont properly interview these people for the job they applied for.

We put on our shoes every 4 years, stomp to a polling station, and mark an "X" beside some persons name and figure we've accomplished something. Did our civic duty. And EVEN THAT takes too much effort for some because people want to vote online. How lazy.

Then we sit back and allow these people to take responsibility for hundreds of billions of OUR dollars to seemingly do as they please....

What boss in their right mind would do that? One that doesnt really care I presume.

Canada has a lot to offer, but the public fails to ensure that. Every few years we let the pendulum swing too far one way or the other rather than ensuring it stays closer to the middle.

That in turn causes division.

We complain about corporations getting tax breaks, when its these same corporations that we support through our purchases, or our investments or because we work for them. Does ANYONE here know exactly where their RRSP or other financial portfolio money goes?

Our apathy is what kills us. Our failure to properly interview politicians for the job they seek is our ultimate failure. We are getting what we deserve.

Any politician running for a position that shows up to a public forum with a prepared speech should be cast aside. They should be questioned by those in attendance and gauged on their answer. Prepared speeches are a clear sign that this person wants to talk, but not listen. Red flag. Honestly, how many of you have ever applied for a job and the main premise was you ANSWERING QUESTIONS?? Likely the vast majority. Why do we allow politicians to give a speech, we clap and go home? Is that any way to be a boss? Apathy.

Canada has it all. It's here. The resources, the brains, the hard working attitude. We as the public need to up our game.

Now that being said, weather does suck. Cant control it. Tropical locations have it too. Nowhere is great all the time.

The moment Canadians become less self centered, become more aware of things beyond their front door, and take an active role in the governance of this country, the sooner things will improve. We have to be better bosses.

Next election, regardless of whether its municipal, provincial, or federal, I challenge you to attend whatever forum and ask a question. If you sit there and listen rather than speak, I beg you to ask yourself "Am I being DICTATED to by this person"?

Because if you are, your troubles are about to start again. Forget change. Youve just given this person the green light to do as they please. And as a boss, you suck.
You sir are spot on with this. Well said.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:03 AM

There some some very interesting comments on this thread. I have to say, up to now Canada has been one of, if not the best country on the planet to live. I count myself lucky to have been born here. Kind of like winning the birthplace lottery I suppose. That said, I look back on the last ten or fifteen years, then try looking forward to the next ten or fifteen years. Not sure I like that picture. As Huntinstuff has said, we vote in our leaders and we get what we deserve. Country wide that is true. But, if you look at Alberta and Saskatchewan, it is obvious we see things very differently than our fellow Canadians. Further, qeeeeebec sees things totally different than all the rest of the country. I see these issues growing much larger in the near future. The turd is cruising along, no doubt in a haze of cannabis smoke, off to Africa and then Germany, intent on gaining a seat on the U.N. security council. A new take on Nero fiddling while Rome burns.

I don't think I would want to live year round in Mexico, but in the last seven years we have been there about fifteen times. Usually the Mayan Rivera. Also Huatulco. Headed there again in March. Typically we are on resorts, but we do venture out and have never felt threatened or unsafe. That doesn't mean it can't happen. I try to keep an extra eye out for trouble, but I keep an eye out when I'm in lots places in Calgary also.

Those of you that won't leave Canada, good for you. I wonder, will you change your opinion in the next ten or fifteen years? Things are changing rapidly. Taxes are rising, our resource sector is under siege, the border is wide open, which sounds real nice, but creates all sorts of issues and a whole pile of expenses (taxes). Canada will always be home to me, but the winters are getting harder for this old guy to deal with as more years pass. Three or four months down south, say from December to the end of March look pretty good right now. Doubt that I would ever purchase property, but rent a condo or apartment? You bet. For now, I would always return, to spent the summer camping and fishing. Not sure what will happen when I get to a point that I can't wander the streams. As the guy down south keeps saying, "We'll see what happens".
Old 02-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Mexico

Been down there 26 times, and counting! Have not seen a dead body yet, many hungover ones, lol. Keep your nose clean, and use your brain and eyes for trouble.. which I myself have not seen! Before someone makes the comment, O as long as you stay on the resort! I have been all over Mexico, in the mountains and area around. Places in Edmonton and other large & small cities I would not want to be in at night. Use common sense is all you need.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Been down there 26 times, and counting! Have not seen a dead body yet, many hungover ones, lol. Keep your nose clean, and use your brain and eyes for trouble.. which I myself have not seen! Before someone makes the comment, O as long as you stay on the resort! I have been all over Mexico, in the mountains and area around. Places in Edmonton and other large & small cities I would not want to be in at night. Use common sense is all you need.
So you personally never saw one, therefore the 235,000 murders over the last 8 years aren't really happening I guess. Pffft
Old 02-09-2020, 09:47 AM

I never said that! Ya go into Mexico City! You might get to see that, if that’s what you want to see! I do not.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I never said that! Ya go into Mexico City! You might get to see that, if that’s what you want to see! I do not.
You were the one that said you had been all over mexico!

Any questions?
Old 02-09-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The reason Canada is in the state its in is because the public sucks. Allow me to explain.

We complain a lot about government. Trudeau, Harper, Mulroney, etc etc etc

The problem is, WE decide who gets to be in government by way of voting. WE are responsible for the issues Canada has.

The public are the worst bosses ever. We rarely know exactly who we vote for, we really dont know what they plan on doing, we dont properly interview these people for the job they applied for.

We put on our shoes every 4 years, stomp to a polling station, and mark an "X" beside some persons name and figure we've accomplished something. Did our civic duty. And EVEN THAT takes too much effort for some because people want to vote online. How lazy.

Then we sit back and allow these people to take responsibility for hundreds of billions of OUR dollars to seemingly do as they please....

What boss in their right mind would do that? One that doesnt really care I presume.

Canada has a lot to offer, but the public fails to ensure that. Every few years we let the pendulum swing too far one way or the other rather than ensuring it stays closer to the middle.

That in turn causes division.

We complain about corporations getting tax breaks, when its these same corporations that we support through our purchases, or our investments or because we work for them. Does ANYONE here know exactly where their RRSP or other financial portfolio money goes?

Our apathy is what kills us. Our failure to properly interview politicians for the job they seek is our ultimate failure. We are getting what we deserve.

Any politician running for a position that shows up to a public forum with a prepared speech should be cast aside. They should be questioned by those in attendance and gauged on their answer. Prepared speeches are a clear sign that this person wants to talk, but not listen. Red flag. Honestly, how many of you have ever applied for a job and the main premise was you ANSWERING QUESTIONS?? Likely the vast majority. Why do we allow politicians to give a speech, we clap and go home? Is that any way to be a boss? Apathy.

Canada has it all. It's here. The resources, the brains, the hard working attitude. We as the public need to up our game.

Now that being said, weather does suck. Cant control it. Tropical locations have it too. Nowhere is great all the time.

The moment Canadians become less self centered, become more aware of things beyond their front door, and take an active role in the governance of this country, the sooner things will improve. We have to be better bosses.

Next election, regardless of whether its municipal, provincial, or federal, I challenge you to attend whatever forum and ask a question. If you sit there and listen rather than speak, I beg you to ask yourself "Am I being DICTATED to by this person"?

Because if you are, your troubles are about to start again. Forget change. Youve just given this person the green light to do as they please. And as a boss, you suck.
There's a pile of truth in this post.Good job Huntinstuff.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:35 AM

The other half is in Cabo San Lucas as I type this. Move to Mexico? A corrupt third world country with a population of people as greasy as it gets. Give your head a shake. I used to enjoy the odd vacay there but now it doesn’t even get me excited anymore to think about vacationing there let alone move. Meh...
Old 02-09-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Lol. I’ve been down there a lot as well. I guarantee you that if you ever were to move down there as a local, you would see a lot of crooked, violent and corrupt stuff living their as a local for 365 days, more so than during your one or two week fantasy vacation.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
The other half is in Cabo San Lucas as I type this. Move to Mexico? A corrupt third world country with a population of people as greasy as it gets. Give your head a shake. I used to enjoy the odd vacay there but now it doesn’t even get me excited anymore to think about vacationing there let alone move. Meh...
yup....love Akumal but cross the highway and go for a walk....good god...even the cops eyeballed us could only imagine out of tourist season what goes on....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-09-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
yup....love Akumal but cross the highway and go for a walk....good god...even the cops eyeballed us could only imagine out of tourist season what goes on....
Yes things are getting worse down there and I totally get that if you keep your nose clean and stick to the resort you will be fine. But to live down there and depend on their medical system and corrupt legal system living there 365 days a year? No friggen thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 03:26 PM

To move down there!No way! Never to own! Just a nice visit.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Permanently, absolutely not. We have it incredibly well here.

I've lived in several countries and visited dozens more - but there's just no place like home.

I could see myself spending a couple months per year away though. Mexico is nice and close, but Thailand is just so safe and easy and cheap.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:43 PM

If I was to move to Mexico it would be Isla Mujeries without a doubt.

Visited in Nov and was quiet, clean, and full of expats living there. After visiting the mainland a few times over the years I can understand why. Its very small (whole island easily accessed by golf cart in no time) but has everything you need and a whole different vibe than Cancun, where you take the boat taxi from.

Was surprised how many expats called it home or owned businesses there.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:23 PM

Can definitely see why the idea is getting tossed around...I love Canada too but the cost of living and how far our dollars get us is the big issue. For us guys that lived within our means and managed to save a few bucks....will explore other options to spend at least part of our retirement years is just smart. It comes with the sacrifices made to acquire some sort of wealth while faced with an uncertain job market, no bailout package, no employer pension, declining property values...the list goes on. I've been oil patch for over 30 years right out of high school. Been in a 30 to 40 percent tax bracket my whole life...the dollars I've put away are very precious to me and my old lady. If we can stretch our dollars overseas you dang rights we are gonna. Us and a pile of 50 to 60 year old canadians like us know that a dollar doesn't even put air in your tire anymore...where does it end? If I can rest my battered body in a beautiful tropical part of the world instead of open the mail box and get 400 dollar power bills and pay 125 bux to fill up my truck and so on that's mostly tax on dollars already taxed to death..... well you do the math.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Can definitely see why the idea is getting tossed around...I love Canada too but the cost of living and how far our dollars get us is the big issue. For us guys that lived within our means and managed to save a few bucks....will explore other options to spend at least part of our retirement years is just smart. It comes with the sacrifices made to acquire some sort of wealth while faced with an uncertain job market, no bailout package, no employer pension, declining property values...the list goes on. I've been oil patch for over 30 years right out of high school. Been in a 30 to 40 percent tax bracket my whole life...the dollars I've put away are very precious to me and my old lady. If we can stretch our dollars overseas you dang rights we are gonna. Us and a pile of 50 to 60 year old canadians like us know that a dollar doesn't even put air in your tire anymore...where does it end? If I can rest my battered body in a beautiful tropical part of the world instead of open the mail box and get 400 dollar power bills and pay 125 bux to fill up my truck and so on that's mostly tax on dollars already taxed to death..... well you do the math.
I am exploring the same options as you possibly. In a few years I will be retiring. I am not looking to leave the country permanently but live out of the country for 5 months of the year. My plan is to live out of the country during the winter and then RV it all summer and fall during fishing and hunting season. I am still working on the details but my plan is to have all my finances in order and my house sold - then pull the plug.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:48 PM

Yup,
300k in the bank, 15% interest a year, WTF am I still doing in Canada Instead of buying a house I figure I can live off the interest for the rest of my life in some othger country and come back for the occasional STD check lol.
Might just be retired at 35 afterall I will miss snowboarding and snowmobiling tho
Old 02-10-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I'm with you on all of that. After living frugally, 'making do', and buying 'used' all my life, - and never accessing any government assistance program, we managed to seriously put aside savings starting right from working out of high school. (actually, from a paper-route and parceling groceries before that!) Going to dinner and a movie is still an extravagance in our house!

To now see the rewards of our simple lifestyle and thriftiness go in taxes/fees to all levels of government who seem to spend all of their time dreaming up new ways of squeezing more $ out of us, is down-right depressing. Then seeing what they choose to spend in present taxes, on what I scrimped to save, is infuriating. I loved Canada too, but not so much after how the east has pushed us out. I have no hope of better federal treatment of Alberta by our eastern masters for a very long time - only more blockading of any attempt to build our economy.

I've promoted and contributed well to this country and don't feel any guilt in spending $$ we have left, in another country that offers more in weather, year round recreation for a senior, and appreciation.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHorn View Post
Yup,
300k in the bank, 15% interest a year, WTF am I still doing in Canada Instead of buying a house I figure I can live off the interest for the rest of my life in some othger country and come back for the occasional STD check lol.
Might just be retired at 35 afterall I will miss snowboarding and snowmobiling tho
15% interest? who pays that?? Oh I know, someone who's about to scam you. Good luck with your plan. You are going to need it.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 AM

I find this thread interesting, in that a few years back I posted about getting residence status and moving to USA, and can still recall the TON of abuse I got for being an ungrateful traitor or some such. Since then, we backed off the idea (though we got through the approval stage, it was basically a done deal). Now we aren't sure exactly what retirement looks like, but maybe a bit of snowbirding will be in the picture. Downsizing as well.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-10-2020, 10:51 AM

Never until recently, other than of course the fantasies about buying a Hawaii place on the beach. Yes, a wal-mart tent is a place on the beach.

More recently when head retard is giving away countless millions and billions I either want to start digging until I find a FN hair in the mix somewhere so we can cash in, or just cover my eyes, throw a dart on a map and land where the dart does. Middle of the Arctic Ocean? Perfect, no more hearing about the bastards out east.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-10-2020, 11:00 AM

I am thinking of moving to Africa, now that they have $10M dollars to fight gender equality.

I'll have the peace of mind now to know no matter what gender I choose to live my life, I'll be protected and be treated with equality and inclusiveness.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
15% interest? who pays that?? Oh I know, someone who's about to scam you. Good luck with your plan. You are going to need it.
I was being generous at 15%
Co operators, financial advisor, got me 18.5 % percent last year.
I guess the rich do get richer :P
Old 02-10-2020, 03:21 PM

Del Boca Vista Florida.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:30 PM

Del Boca vista, baby

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

When I was working in the oil patch come February I got the heck out of here...go to work in the dark, home in the dark...minus 30.....cayo coco Cuba here I come....fishing gear, snorkling gear but always came home....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Banned

Yep. GF and I are seriously considering it as well. I have never been to a tropical destination but she has several times. The Turd Reich took over our country the year I turned 40. I am repulsed at the thought of my living my entire 40's under this incompetent liberal government. Giving it all up to work a petty job somewhere warm, live minimally near a beach and live out our days surfing sounds better and better each time this POS makes the news for further destroying our country. Ideally we would like to be the frigg outta here before she turns 40. We're nowhere near well off enough to do it but, I literally would wash dishes or shovel manure in a place like Costa Rica at this point.