Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 11:45 AM

Sorry but I have a problem with guys gouging the heck out of fellow firearms enthusiasts and hunters. It's kind of like a rancher asking fellow ranchers that have run out of hay due to drought, to pay $300 a round bale, that normally sell for $60.

When there is a shortage of reloading components and ammunition everyone complains about stores that price gouge and those among us who buy everything up and "hoard" components. Now we have guys asking insane prices for components or ammo they apparently do not need, and taking advantage of fellow gunnies and hunters who did not hoard. There is just something ethically wrong with this...but then again we now live in a society that is so very much all about "ME" and could care less about anyone else.

Sad times.

Last edited by Retiredguy; 12-07-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:59 AM

I watch the buy&sell, and the EE on CGN. If I see someone asking very high prices, I keep them in mind if I have anything to sell, or when they are asking for a source for something. For those people, I will have a special price, that reflects what they were advertising for what they had to sell.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’ve said it for a long time. You don’t need to control guns if you control the Ammo.
We already do. You can't buy ammo without a PAL, what more do you want?

I was told by a retired cop that the gangs have a harder time getting ammo than they do guns.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:52 PM

The old adage of "buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep" has never been more true then in these times of shortages and high prices.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:19 PM

Except buying anything cheap is out of the question! It's all relative I guess.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-07-2022, 04:32 PM

I picked up some 22 shells today. 20.00 per hundred. Browning is the brand. However, it is difficult to find reasonably priced shells for my soon to be .22 rifle. Shotgun shells are way overpriced IMO. Especially 20 gauge. I wanted to buy a 20 gauge shotgun but maybe a 12 is better for both price and availability of shot shells.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I picked up some 22 shells today. 20.00 per hundred. Browning is the brand. However, it is difficult to find reasonably priced shells for my soon to be .22 rifle. Shotgun shells are way overpriced IMO. Especially 20 gauge. I wanted to buy a 20 gauge shotgun but maybe a 12 is better for both price and availability of shot shells.
I remember people telling me that I was crazy paying $500/5000 SK Standard Plus 22lr, several years ago, but I bought a few cases and still have 7000 or so left. My last purchase was SK Long Range, at $1000/5000, and now that is what the standard 22lr are selling for. As for shotshells, yes 20 gauge has pretty much gone extinct, I lucked out and found some 20 gauge Gun Club target loads at $120/flat, a month ago, but they were all sold out in a few hours.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I remember people telling me that I was crazy paying $500/5000 SK Standard Plus 22lr, several years ago, but I bought a few cases and still have 7000 or so left. My last purchase was SK Long Range, at $1000/5000, and now that is what the standard 22lr are selling for. As for shotshells, yes 20 gauge has pretty much gone extinct, I lucked out and found some 20 gauge Gun Club target loads at $120/flat, a month ago, but they were all sold out in a few hours.
Thanks for that info. So I guess a 12 gauge may be the better way to go.
I love your posts by the way, Mr. Elkhunter. Always informative and entertaining. Someday I hope to meet you.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Thanks for that info. So I guess a 12 gauge may be the better way to go.
I love your posts by the way, Mr. Elkhunter. Always informative and entertaining. Someday I hope to meet you.
I only shoot a 12 gauge for waterfowl and sporting clays, I shoot skeet with 20/28/410, and I hunt upland with 28/16, but if I had to choose only one gauge it would be 12 gauge, no question, it is the most versatile, and easiest/cheapest to buy ammunition for.

I run the skeet range at Camrose, if you ever decide that you want to improve your wingshooting, skeet is an affordable way to do it.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Lots of people pay these prices. One of the major reasons is businesses taking their orders they receive from their suppliers, and moving them to auction instead of selling them through their existing stores. They make more money and the prices get even more inflated by the addition of the auction fee and taxes. Shady practices....YES!!

I sold two bricks of Federal Gold Medal Match 215 magnum large rifle primers about two months ago. I got chastised for asking $300 each for them. They sold almost immediately at $300 each. I have two more bricks of the same primers that I will sell if a rifle of mine sells. I will be asking $750 for each brick. And I have confidence that those two bricks will sell just as fast as the first two.

But don't blame me for asking that price. Because they will sell when there's none available. Supply & demand.
I guess if your barrel is moving an 1/8 inch and you argued over it you won't know much about integrity and don't blame me for saying it .Supply and demand of opinion it isn't free. Don't like it don't read it.Your 2 bricks are on sale for $1500 on CGN.

You must think the world is ending ,well it's not so enjoy the future and all your wealth. Sleep tight.

Last edited by JD848; 12-07-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lots of people pay these prices. One of the major reasons is businesses taking their orders they receive from their suppliers, and moving them to auction instead of selling them through their existing stores. They make more money and the prices get even more inflated by the addition of the auction fee and taxes. Shady practices....YES!!

I sold two bricks of Federal Gold Medal Match 215 magnum large rifle primers about two months ago. I got chastised for asking $300 each for them. They sold almost immediately at $300 each. I have two more bricks of the same primers that I will sell if a rifle of mine sells. I will be asking $750 for each brick. And I have confidence that those two bricks will sell just as fast as the first two.

But don't blame me for asking that price. Because they will sell when there's none available. Supply & demand.
Don't blame you for setting the price on something you are selling? You are just part of the problem
Old 12-08-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I see some Winchester (white and orange box) primers listed in the buy/sell for $500 for a 1000 piece box. Is that going rate these days?
You don't have to go far to see them listed for sale on here and CGN for $750 / 1000 or higher, people have to be nuts to pay that but they are

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
You don't have to go far to see them listed for sale on here and CGN for $750 / 1000 or higher, people have to be nuts to pay that but they are
Some people are really regretting ignoring the advise that they were given a couple of years ago, to stock up.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Some people are really regretting ignoring the advise that they were given a couple of years ago, to stock up.
Yup started preaching that to guys a couple years ago regarding our 12 ga target loads, told them to buy whatever they can find under $80 which at that time was about the going rate, most of them listened but some didn't.

I bought a pallet at $72.50 / flat tax in, now a good price is $120 plus tax IF you can find them and it's actually closer to $135 now, those that didn't listen are asking if I will sell them some, I have enough for me and that's the name of that tune, so sorry no I won't sell anymore. I just secured another 30 flats and offered them to the shooters, they are $120 tax in, didn't take long to get an answer from some of them.

Old 12-10-2022, 03:49 PM

I will start by stating that I have no primers listed for sale. I have had numerous people asking me to sell them primers since last summer. These are the same people that I advised 18-24 months ago to buy an extra brick or two of primers, as a severe shortage was coming. I knew that a certain dealer had some, as late as two months ago, so I have been sending people there. Today one of those guys that ignored my advice 18 months ago, and that still didn't buy a brick in September when he last called me, called again. I told him that when primers were selling for $5000/1000, I would sell him a brick, hopefully, he gets the message, and doesn't call again.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:23 PM

Seeing some of the hard to get powders retailing for $110 per pound now. I was cringing at $80. Yikes.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The old adage of "buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep" has never been more true then in these times of shortages and high prices.
Now it’s buy it expensive and stack it extensive.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:16 PM

An older fellow I know is getting out of shooting. He had a case of Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR, 10 x 500 rds, that he offered to me. He asked for $200, I told him it was way underpriced but he wouldn't take more. He also has been a regular guest at my place and had a few meals and beverages because we are friends, but I just thought it was nice that he just wanted close to what he paid. It will keep me plinking for a couple years.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-13-2022, 04:03 PM

This advertiser is selling some BR2 large rifle primers in case anyone is interested.
A thousand primers for $650.
https://townpost.ca/firearms/stony-p...-rifle-primers
Old 12-13-2022, 04:26 PM

I just ran into a guy yesterday in Prophet River while we were standing there BS'ing about powder he said he needed LRM primers but had lots of LR primers, given that I am in good shape for LRM primers but short of LR we struck a deal to do a trade, good for both of us, and I just struck another deal today with a guy for a trade of 500 more LR for LRM

I would quit shooting before I paid $650 / 1000 for primers

Old 12-13-2022, 04:37 PM

At the prices listed, I'd sell a crap ton of my primers if I knew I could get $500/brick for them lol. I've got a stockpile of powder and LR and LRM primers. Like investing in gold I guess!
Old 12-13-2022, 10:48 PM

Default Thread got me curious

I went and checked my gun locker and I have 750+ LR primers. Since I only burn about 20 a year for my 1 rifle hunt and coyotes, I should be good for next 35 years.

I hope arrows don't become as scarce as primers.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I just ran into a guy yesterday in Prophet River while we were standing there BS'ing about powder he said he needed LRM primers but had lots of LR primers, given that I am in good shape for LRM primers but short of LR we struck a deal to do a trade, good for both of us, and I just struck another deal today with a guy for a trade of 500 more LR for LRM

I would quit shooting before I paid $650 / 1000 for primers
More and more people will not sell primers, or powder, so trading has become the best way to get supplies. I am actually on the lookout for powder and primers, even if I don't need them, because I can trade them for what I can use. I just found out about an older gentleman that is liquidating all of his supplies, so I made him an offer on components that I know are in high demand.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
More and more people will not sell primers, or powder, so trading has become the best way to get supplies. I am actually on the lookout for powder and primers, even if I don't need them, because I can trade them for what I can use. I just found out about an older gentleman that is liquidating all of his supplies, so I made him an offer on components that I know are in high demand.
X2. And who knows when Trudeau decides that it’s much to dangerous for the average joe to have powder in their possession and bans that as well. When this happens it would be nice to have a stash large enough until your shooting days are done.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:00 AM

Default Reloading pirates

I have been in the shooting community all my life, and one thing I was appreciated is the comradery of hunters and shooters. I don't think I have ever gone out to make a gross profit on my fellow sportsman, but rather share when times are tough. Seeing some yahoo post $500 for a brick of magnum primers sure tells me how times are changing. I hope all these opportunists get there's at some point. I know a few young shooters getting into the sport or reloading and it looks pretty dismal to get started. I look to my mentors, like Dean2, who would never hesitate to lend tools, ammo, powder or help with his sage advice and many others on this site. We sell/horse trade via these sites hoping to help out and I still see many doing that. I know, just scroll by, but with the scarcity of things, do they need to really to play the ugly greed card? I thought maybe our craft would be exempt of that, but it's started showing it's ugly face.
It means probably less shooting; with the Fed's already trying to screw with our sport, sad we have internally see our own members doing it
Rant over
Old 12-19-2022, 09:17 AM

While I do feel for someone trying to start out in the sport, the people that seem to be complaining the most about prices, and shortages, are not new to the sport. Some of us warned that this was coming two years ago, then again last year, yet some people chose to ignore our advise to stock up enough to last a few years. I still have people pestering me to sell them powder or primers, after I advised them multiple times over the past couple of years to stock up. I have liquidated most of my surplus components at very fair prices, mostly to people starting out in loading, or people that took my advise to stock up a bit, but some people think that just because I have more primers and powder that I will use in the next year, I should sell them some, at the prices that they sold for last year.
The simple fact is if you have been in the sport for even a few years, you had the same opportunity as everyone else to stock up, before supplies dwindled, and prices climbed. I myself have helped out many people over the years to obtain components, but I won't risk running out myself, to help out someone that simply didn't plan ahead.
As for the people selling primers for $500/1000, or bullets for $150/box, or powder for $150/lb, I keep track of them, in case they need something in the future, and I have extra, so I can charge them the same kind of prices.
The bottom line, is that it comes down to supply and demand, and the demand is increasing as some people run out, and the supply is at least a year or two from catching up, so don't expect much improvement for at least a year or two.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:23 AM

2 people on AO recently asked for hard to find reloading stuff. I messaged them as I had the items and was willing to part with it at about my cost.

These 2 never even responded. Not even with a FU. Once is bad luck. Twice is a trend.

The exception was Randy who got some Accubonds from me quite a while ago. Will be happy to do biz with him again.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2022, 11:01 AM

It’s like no one here has ever been to a gun show. They’ve been ripping people off to their face for decades.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:21 AM

It’s akin to asking your employer for more money when the help wanted signs are starting to go up everywhere. Shameful
Old 12-19-2022, 11:45 AM

500 for 1000 wow that's a deal. Extreme range outfitter auction has a few bundles off 300 magnum large rifle primers and they are currently sitting at 300$ each. That's 1$ per primer lol, and another week left to go.