Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 PM

If you don't believe Alberta has a problem....you are the problem. The province is changing and outdoorsmen are loosing out. Let's start the change by disinfecting our ranks.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Why not just make it mandatory to notify the jurisdiction you came from that you've moved?

Not saying it is a problem but you shouldn't have a regulation you can't effectively enforce.

Fact is you shouldn't be able to have an out of province license plate and resident hunting license. 1 or the other from my experience.

Don't think it's fair or reasonable to be without a home (huntable prov) for anytime. If you're not eligible in ab yet you should still be eligible where you came from.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
If you don't believe Alberta has a problem....you are the problem. The province is changing and outdoorsmen are loosing out. Let's start the change by disinfecting our ranks.
Really awful choice of words
Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I'm not a transient and I have no relatives or close friends wanting to make the move here.
Here is a question....a guy lives in Alberta and works for 7-8 months and then moves back East for 4-5 months and repeats the process each year....where is he a resident of? Where is/should he be eligible to hunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Anyone that doesn't believe that we have a significant people that work in Alberta, but still commute back to their permanent homes in other provinces, that purchase resident licenses, should spend some time in Fort McMurray. It's far more common than most people realize.
Exactly!!

LC
Old 10-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
Why not just make it mandatory to notify the jurisdiction you came from that you've moved?

Not saying it is a problem but you shouldn't have a regulation you can't effectively enforce.

Fact is you shouldn't be able to have an out of province license plate and resident hunting license. 1 or the other from my experience.

Don't think it's fair or reasonable to be without a home (huntable prov) for anytime. If you're not eligible in ab yet you should still be eligible where you came from.
I have had many great job offers else where in Cananda but hunting is a large part of who I am so I choose to stay here and enjoy my hunting privilaeges. I am tired of new comers abusing our system. Look.. if you want to work here and live else where so be it but you do not have the RIGHT to hunt, its like driving, A PRIVLIGE!

L.S.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
really

How bad is the problem do you have any states to warrant a change????I like to see that before i jump on board
Old 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Here is a question....a guy lives in Alberta and works for 7-8 months and then moves back East for 4-5 months and repeats the process each year....where is he a resident of? Where is/should he be eligible to hunt?

Exactly!!

LC

That depends, is said worker buying a resident hunting liecence elsewhere? Pick one place....not both is the issue.

L.S.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
If you want to work here and live else where so be it but you do not have the RIGHT to hunt, its like driving, A PRIVLIGE!

L.S.
Your right about that, It is a Priviledge.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
really

How bad is the problem do you have any states to warrant a change????I like to see that before i jump on board

Spend some time in N.E Alberta and you will see for your self. Head to a local coffee shop in hunting season and it will all become clear...they even sit around bragging about it.

L.S.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I agree about the abuse of non residents posing as residents.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Exactly!!

LC
I'm not sure what Alberta uses as residency status definition. But typically its a certain number of days you must spend in the province.

IIRC Jim shockey ran into this a couple years back in BC he was drawn for a ministers tag and due to social media it was determined he spent too much time out of province to meet the minimum mandatory number of days in the province so the tag was forfeited
Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I have had many great job offers else where in Cananda but hunting is a large part of who I am so I choose to stay here and enjoy my hunting privilaeges. I am tired of new comers abusing our system. Look.. if you want to work here and live else where so be it but you do not have the RIGHT to hunt, its like driving, A PRIVLIGE!

L.S.
I don't disagree. Just saying that if you work over 6mos here at a time and qualify you should have to choose. And choosing would help reduce people double dipping.

What about those that work here but want to continue hunting or getting priority in bc/nfld/sk more? Let them. they can't build priority or hunt in ab in the meantime
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let’s catch some cheaters!

First Idea:

Goal: To catch people declaring resident status in more than one province

Step 1: export to MS excel, the data base containing the name of individuals “eligible to hunt as residents” in Alberta

Step 2: export to MS excel,the data base containing the name of individuals “eligible to hunt as residents” in other provinces

Step 3: using the “vlookup” formula in MS excel, determine who is declaring dual residency.

Step 4: charge suspected individuals with fraud

Step 5: win trial and allocate money collected from fines to conservation

Second Idea:
Goal: To catch ineligible license holders and draw applicants

Step 1: export to MS excel the data base containing the name of individuals “eligible to hunt as residents” in Alberta

Step 2: export to MS excel the data base containing the name of individuals who have successfully completed Hunters Ed in Alberta or elsewhere or held a hunting license in another jurisdiction

Step 3: using the “vlookup” formula in MS excel, determine who doesn’t fit the “eligible to hunt” definition

Step 4: charge suspected individuals with fraud

Step 5: win trial and allocate money collected from fines to conservation

I’m no Alfred Einstein but If I was given the right data I could complete this analysis for the government in under 10 minutes.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to catch the cheaters? Are you or members of your family committing fraud?
Holy cow,, someone has to much time on their hands.

That's OK I won't join you on your witch hunt I have better things to do. Between work and being out there enjoying the outdoors I am busy. But you go ahead you obviously have nothing better to do..

WOW !!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfisher View Post

That's OK I won't join you on your witch hunt I have better things to do. Between work and being out there enjoying the outdoors I am busy. But you go ahead you obviously have nothing better to do..

WOW !!
If not for people that think like drake you would have nothing to enjoy. Just turn a blind eye and let other people do the heavy lifting.

L.S.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:

WOW !!
Let me guess...you have been in Alberta for 3 yr or less. It is hard to have real perspective you are new
Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM

After today, thinking I could have a full time job persecuting drivers on cell phones. But , most of us have a Life and better things to do.

Grizz
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Exactly!!

LC
He is a resident of wherever his primary residence is........just like it says in the regs. If his primary residence (his house and his wife and kids) are all in NB and he is a transient (commuting from a camp or a rental) he is not entitled to an AB hunting license......just like it says in the regs. All a guy has to do though is lie and say his primary res is in AB...............hence Drakes data mining adventure................which will never happen.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
He is a resident of wherever his primary residence is........just like it says in the regs. If his primary residence (his house and his wife and kids) are all in NB and he is a transient (commuting from a camp or a rental) he is not entitled to an AB hunting license......just like it says in the regs. All a guy has to do though is lie and say his primary res is in AB...............hence Drakes data mining adventure................which will never happen.
....but you see Drakes point?

The issue is many ARE BEING DECEPTIVE....because there is no checks and balances to make sure it doesn't happen.

There are guys who shoot moose in Alberta and in an eastern province I a single year hunting in both places AS RESIDENTS.

LC
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let me guess...you have been in Alberta for 3 yr or less. It is hard to have real perspective you are new
Actually I have been here for 48 years,, my family since 1913. And I have seen more changes and loss of habitat than a jr like you could ever imagine. But I also know everyone likes to enjoy the outdoors. Feeling more entitled to do so than others is sad.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Banned

And don't think for a minute that if you were one of these people that have moved around a bit that you wouldn't be doing the exact same thing cause every one of us would.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Them buggers

I canning imagine the red faced heavy breathing and heart beating individuals who are so workws up over this. Again, what about the people who hunt all over the country for their shows? I've never been up north Alberta and if its really anything like what I hear then it will not see me either.

Some people are pretty darn disgusted like its the bane of their existence. I agree it downs t seem fare but stop the online bashing on this hunting forum and bring it to where people actually might get something done. If not then your looking to B. Itch and that's it with a few side kicks.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Gone Hunting

If Drake runs the program it might work but if they turn it over to the people who handle hunting licenses it would be nothing more then another drain on taxpayers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-01-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
And don't think for a minute that if you were one of these people that have moved around a bit that you wouldn't be doing the exact same thing cause every one of us would.

Wrong. It cant happen in some of the other provinces...

L.S
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
I canning imagine the red faced heavy breathing and heart beating individuals who are so workws up over this. Again, what about the people who hunt all over the country for their shows? I've never been up north Alberta and if its really anything like what I hear then it will not see me either.

Some people are pretty darn disgusted like its the bane of their existence. I agree it downs t seem fare but stop the online bashing on this hunting forum and bring it to where people actually might get something done. If not then your looking to B. Itch and that's it.
Bingo !!!

I never mind what they say about up north,,, lots of open un touched country millions of square miles of it,, with no one in it. You just have to be willing to leave your truck to get to it. The problem is, is people that have hunted here for a while hunted the easy spots, the spots they could drive to easily. Because they are easy spots everyone goes there now. And hence the bitching.. Change with the times, change with the program, or don't,,, sit there on your crying stump and complain.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wrong. It cant happen in some of the other provinces...

L.S
Yes well I know more than a couple fellows that do this for Sask / Alberta and for Alberta / BC. I say power to them,, wish I could join in.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
....but you see Drakes point?

The issue is many ARE BEING DECEPTIVE....because there is no checks and balances to make sure it doesn't happen.

There are guys who shoot moose in Alberta and in an eastern province I a single year hunting in both places AS RESIDENTS.

LC
I got the point.....but how to deal with it is another matter. There are a number of ways to determine residency, they are not however, conclusive:

AB DL
Income tax records
Municipal tax records
AB Health card

These of course would have to be provided to someone with eyes on them in order to confirm them. With the option of getting a WIN card and license online......all of this is moot. In MB you used to have to produce a DL or some other ID that confirms residency in order to purchase a license.

A CO should automatically go into search mode if he comes across an out of province license plate and an out of province DL for someone with a residents tag. A resident must surrender his out of province DL within 30 days of arriving in AB. That is of course catching them after the fact.

Last edited by CNP; 10-01-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 PM

=hunterfisher;2566448]I canning imagine the red faced heavy breathing and heart beating individuals who are so workws up over this. Again, what about the people who hunt all over the country for their shows? I've never been up north Alberta and if its really anything like what I hear then it will not see me either.

Some people are pretty darn disgusted like its the bane of their existence. I agree it downs t seem fare but stop the online bashing on this hunting forum and bring it to where people actually might get something done. If not then your looking to B. Itch and that's it with a few side kicks.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true transplant....nice use of the English language.

Really, we should not be discussing hunting issues on an outdoor forum. Put down the bottle there 'by.

L.S.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
If Drake runs the program it might work but if they turn it over to the people who handle hunting licenses it would be nothing more then another drain on taxpayers.
Drake is not running any program. He cannot access the data. Never will be able to access the data.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Is it possible to hold 2 drivers licences from different provinces at the same time?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Is it possible to hold 2 drivers licences from different provinces at the same time?
Not legal. When you come to AB and visit a registry they will take your out of province from you and destroy it. This must be done within 30 days of arriving in AB.