Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 AM

Okay Gatorr, PM sent with my schedule waiting for a response. This is going to be a good time. As for all the Tikka fans they don't need to worry. At what ranges would you want to shoot at? I assume that 100 yards maybe to far for your calibers? Three shot or five shot groups? Measureing from outside or center of holes?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
Okay Gatorr, PM sent with my schedule waiting for a response. This is going to be a good time. As for all the Tikka fans they don't need to worry. At what ranges would you want to shoot at? I assume that 100 yards maybe to far for your calibers? Three shot or five shot groups? Measureing from outside or center of holes?
Lets make it 5 shot groups(i can afford the ammo) outside to outside. Then we will post pics of our targets. Bring your best handloads if you handload just to give you a bit of a chance.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
Lets make it 5 shot groups(i can afford the ammo) outside to outside. Then we will post pics of our targets. Bring your best handloads if you handload just to give you a bit of a chance.
Okay will do, But wouldn't that put you at more of a disadvantage if I bring my handloads? Waiting for your PM. If you don't get me tonght I'll check tommorow. Posting pic's will be a great idea!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET1 View Post
Its been awhile sence i came acorss the article but doesnt the 300wby hold the 1000yard record right now and shot with factory brass somehow i dont think that qualifies as not accurate
What sort of 100 yard record are we talking about?
Benched, prone, machine rest?
IBS, ISU, or NBRSA?
I have never heard of this claim, so would like to know.
Cat
Old 03-22-2010, 06:19 AM

I know why I shoot Weatherby rifles. They don't fail. Ever. At -45c I pull the trigger, rifle goes boom and caribou falls down. Every time. I have seen Winchesters fail (click), I have seen Remingtons fail (click) and Ive seen Savages fail (click). I don't know why they failed, and I really don't care (oh, and neither do the caribou). When I'm 300km by snowmobile from home, and looking for meat to take home to the family, the sound of CLICK and not BOOM would be sickening.

As far as them not shooting well, I'm probably not the expert that some are on here, only been shooting for 40 years, but when I pull the trigger on an animal out to 400 yards, it falls down dead. (Don't need to be able to hit a dime at 1000 yards. It wouldn't cook up for sh!t anyway)

I need 4 things to happen with my rifles. I aim it, I pull the trigger, rifle goes Boom and animal falls down. But those 4 things need to happen every single time, no excuses. That's what I get out of my Weatherbys. Why would I ever want to use anything else???
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 AM

What sort of 100 yard record are we talking about?
Benched, prone, machine rest?
IBS, ISU, or NBRSA?
I have never heard of this claim, so would like to know.
Cat

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...record-100-8x/
Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 AM

And the pot gets stirred again!!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Some more incredable 1000yard stuff here:

http://longrangeshooter.com/2009/06/...ooting-record/

http://www.6mmbr.com/schatz1000.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/page/page/1309618.htm

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...at-1000-yards/

There are no absolutes
Old 03-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Its been awhile sence i came acorss the article but doesnt the 300wby hold the 1000yard record right now and shot with factory brass somehow i dont think that qualifies as not accurate
Factory Norma brass is considered some of the best, as are Match kings.
However, the only thing remotely close to Weatherby is the brass design, the cartridges do not come with Match kings, and the rifles do not get barrelled up with kreigers and match triggers!
That is like saying that savage holds the World 1 mile record, when in all actuallity it is only a Savage action, the barrel is hart and the stock is a Sheahane IIRC.
However, that being said, and although it is not the World record, it is still super shooting!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-22-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
Chicken!!! There you go the true color of Tikka owners. I will say how much better my Tikka is but i will never embarrass my self trying to prove it.
I'll prove it.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I'm bored so here we go, I hate weatherby cartriges and their rifles for the record because their over priced for their quality. I shoot a Tikka and It is less money and IMHO better quality. I feel better having said what I had to say, Sorry if I Offended anyone. Feel free to place your opinion.
I was only kidding when i said start this thread. Should get lots of bites in this fishing hole though. Happy fishing.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Factory Norma brass is considered some of the best, as are Match kings.
However, the only thing remotely close to Weatherby is the brass, the cartridges do not come with Match kings, and the rifles do not get barrelled up with kreigers!
That is like saying that savage holds the World 1 mile record, when in all actuallity it is only a Savage action, the barrel is hart and the stock is a Sheahane IIRC.
Cat
i compleatly understand your arguement but i was defending the cartridge not the gun and match king nosler or barnes no matter the bullet its still a weatherby cartridge made by norma or H&H its still a weatherby cartridge
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! 1.4" 5 shot group at 1000 yards incredible!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dettah Wolf View Post
I know why I shoot Weatherby rifles. They don't fail. Ever. At -45c I pull the trigger, rifle goes boom and caribou falls down. Every time. I have seen Winchesters fail (click), I have seen Remingtons fail (click) and Ive seen Savages fail (click). I don't know why they failed, and I really don't care (oh, and neither do the caribou). When I'm 300km by snowmobile from home, and looking for meat to take home to the family, the sound of CLICK and not BOOM would be sickening.

As far as them not shooting well, I'm probably not the expert that some are on here, only been shooting for 40 years, but when I pull the trigger on an animal out to 400 yards, it falls down dead. (Don't need to be able to hit a dime at 1000 yards. It wouldn't cook up for sh!t anyway)

I need 4 things to happen with my rifles. I aim it, I pull the trigger, rifle goes Boom and animal falls down. But those 4 things need to happen every single time, no excuses. That's what I get out of my Weatherbys. Why would I ever want to use anything else???
Good points.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
i compleatly understand your arguement but i was defending the cartridge not the gun and match king nosler or barnes no matter the bullet its still a weatherby cartridge made by norma or H&H its still a weatherby cartridge
Understandably so, but I was not arguing a point, simply making an observation.
The fact remains that any number of cases can and have set World records, in NBRSA and IBS, but I really believe that the case has not nearly as much to do with the record as the bullet.
Dave Tooley first stated this, and I believe it to be true, but the shooter has even more to do with it than either the bullet or any of the other components when it comes to long range shooting.
The 300 Weatherby and other variations such as the 30/378 have been used for a very long time for 1,000 yard shooting, and do very well, but on any given day any combination will win.
Cat
Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Default insecure weatherby owner

I bought a 257 ultra lightweight Accumark from Milarms about eight years ago when they were selling them out for 1300 dollars. I have never regretted spending the money. I've shot a whitetail buck every year since and it has never let me down. Last year three bullets - three deer at a cost of 3 dollars a shot is 9 dollars I figure... It cost me more to drive to town for Tim Hortons coffee. I guess I better quit doing that too. NOT... I some of you cards hate weatherbys some much then buy what ever you like.... Hope it performs as well as mine has.....
Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Not sure if it's been stated yet, but Weatherby's claim is 1 1/2" OR LESS when using Weatherby factory ammo. This ammo tends to be running hotter and is more of a hunting load than a bench load. For the record, my .270 Wby in a Mk.V ultralightweight shoots the Weatherby 150gr. Spire Point ammo consistantly around the .5" mark. Sako and Tikka can guarantee under an inch, but I figure my .270 Weatherby qualifies as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1272.JPG (29.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1271.JPG (25.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Sako and Tikka can guarantee under an inch, but I figure my .270 Weatherby qualifies as well...
Sako guarantees five shots moa because they are confident that nearly all of their rifles are capable of moa.Why does Weatherby guarantee the Vanguard sub moa for three shots sub moa,while the Mark Vs only get a guarantee of three shots into 1-1/2"?Perhaps Weatherby is well aware that many of their Mark V rifles aren't capable of sub moa?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps Weatherby is well aware that many of their Mark V rifles aren't capable of sub moa?
I can guarantee you that my Weatherby is well below MOA. So I don't think thats the case.
1/2" groups is quite easily obtainable with mine.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I can guarantee you that my Weatherby is well below MOA. So I don't think thats the case.
So perhaps you can explain why the Mark Vs only come with a 1-1/2" guarantee.If they all did sub moa,why wouldn't Weatherby guarantee them all for sub moa?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
So perhaps you can explain why the Mark Vs only come with a 1-1/2" guarantee.If they all did sub moa,why wouldn't Weatherby guarantee them all for sub moa?
As previously stated, their guarantee is 1 1/2" OR BETTER using Weatherby ammunition, wich is loaded hotter as a hunting load. Almost all Mk.V's I've had have been sub moa. I have also owned several Sako's & Tikka's wich guarantee under an inch that came nowhere close to that claim with some brands of ammo and bullet weights, and then were under an inch with say 140gr. Federal Classics. Almost all sub MOA rifles have a load or brand it favours, and is part of the reason some people reload, so they can taylor the load to that particular rifle. I think the 1 1/2 " claim is more to cover their *****, so if the rifle shoots 150gr. under an inch, but someone wants to shoot 180gr. and the best they can do is 1.25"... they're covered.

Suprising how the 1 1/2" guarantee get's hammered, yet from what I've seen of the Thompson Center single shots, 1 1/2"-3" is the norm... and they seem to be all the rage... Guess Weatherby needs more add's on Wild Tv
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;542909]Sako guarantees five shots moa because they are confident that nearly all of their rifles are capable of moa.

What do mean nearly all their rifles? Some do some dont? Weatherby guarantees all their rifles to shoot 1 1/2 inches or better. Sako tikka guarantees only 1 in and no better? Really how many owners would send their sako in for work if it only shot 1 1/4 inches? Not many iam guessing as the wait and hassle wouldnt be worth it.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Really how many owners would send their sako in for work if it only shot 1 1/4 inches? Not many iam guessing as the wait and hassle wouldnt be worth it.
Probably the same amount of owners that would send their Weatherby in for work if it only shot 1-3/4".
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 AM

My slug gun is more accurate than a weatherby. The slugs are so big the holes touch!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I have never entered in a shoot before or am not a professional shooter. I am am and avid outdoorsmen who is passionate about hunting.
If you think your non Weatherby is more accurate than my Weatherby I would love to see you put your money were your mouth its.
I don't really have a prefrence as long as the gun feels good and shoots for me ok. But to argue and to say put your money where your mouth is, thats silly boys. Why not meet at a range,,have a coffee or two and let each other take a few shots of each gun. It proves nothing if you each shoot your own guns. One guy might just be a better shot. If you do it the freindly way like I said maybe the nay sayers will see the light. We all might be missing out on a good thing if we dont try it and that goes for all makes.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm bored so here we go, I hate weatherby cartriges and their rifles for the record because their over priced for their quality. I shoot a Tikka and It is less money and IMHO better quality. I feel better having said what I had to say, Sorry if I Offended anyone. Feel free to place your opinion.
You sure seem to have some pretty strong opinions for a person who admits in another thread to only owning one hunting rifle and asking for advice on the purchase of another. Perhaps a little more experience in the firearm department would be an asset and make some of your claims more believable.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
My slug gun is more accurate than a weatherby. The slugs are so big the holes touch!
I am guessing only to about 50 yards though. put another 0 behind that 50 and I think my your slug gun is not even touching paper.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
You sure seem to have some pretty strong opinions for a person who admits in another thread to only owning one hunting rifle and asking for advice on the purchase of another. Perhaps a little more experience in the firearm department would be an asset and make some of your claims more believable.
I totally agree with you Mountain Ti. Mr. Cooter did mention at the begining of this thread that he dosen't like Weatherby Cartridges and Calibers. I own and owned many Weatherbys and custom make rifles in a Weatherby cartridge, however I will asked Mr. Cooter, "what is a Weatherby caliber?"
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims71duster View Post
I don't really have a prefrence as long as the gun feels good and shoots for me ok. But to argue and to say put your money where your mouth is, thats silly boys. Why not meet at a range,,have a coffee or two and let each other take a few shots of each gun. It proves nothing if you each shoot your own guns. One guy might just be a better shot. If you do it the freindly way like I said maybe the nay sayers will see the light. We all might be missing out on a good thing if we dont try it and that goes for all makes.
Well Jim, yes that is the most important thing to me. The gun must fit. What’s the point of buying a gun if it doesn’t feel good. If it doesn’t feel good you’re not going to shoot it well.
As far as putting your money where your mouth is. If anyone is willing to jump out and bash another brand and say they are inaccurate, well then they should be willing to back their claim.
I know a couple of these guys are planning on meeting at a range one day to do some shooting and settle the score. They have invited me and if possible I would like to join them too.
As far as one guy being a better shot, well that’s quite possible. Then again if their brand of gun is more accurate than the other brand they should be able to back up their reason for bashing.
To sum it up, if you’re willing to do some bashing you better be willing to back your claim up without any excuses. Just the same for me, if I’m willing to say that my rifle is more accurate than their rifle and can’t prove it I better be willing to eat a little crow.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Probably the same amount of owners that would send their Weatherby in for work if it only shot 1-3/4".

Ok this is open to anyone and is a honest fair question.

Question #1
How many Weatherby owners here on AO have had to send their $2200 or less rifle back to Weatherby to be reworked?

Question # 2
How many Cooper owners here on AO have had to send their $2200 + rifle back to Copper to have it reworked?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for: