Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Actually our community should be ashamed of how we eat our own, PERIOD !

To me, doesn't matter weapon choice and to continue to divide our passion will only assist in eliminating our opportunities...

We need to suck it up and band together, all this infighting is like corrosion, it eats away until your left with nothing...

I am so glad I am old enough not to have had the internet when I was introduced to the outdoors, the future generations are being lead by technology and not mentors like the good old days.
very true! couldn't agree more!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
His statement Jrsmav has nothing to do with bow vs rifle guys. It has everything to do with marginal part time outdoorsfolk digging thier heels in on things they have not a red sniff about. There it is, thats it, thats all, and its a big problem when guys wanna talk about the issues.

lol so I guess im a marginal part time 'outdoorsfolk' then right? because the comment was directed at me obviously. So please elaborate on what makes an informed fulltime outdoorsfolk! I cant wait to be enlightened
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
lol so I guess im a marginal part time 'outdoorsfolk' then right? because the comment was directed at me obviously. So please elaborate on what makes an informed fulltime outdoorsfolk! I cant wait to be enlightened
Can't you read?
It's someone who knows every single piece of vegetation and animal over 30,000km2.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM

lol thanks for clearing that up junglefisher. I better start logging and banding each silverwillow sitting in my back 40
Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Default A few numbers

I normally stay out of these types of discussion but I have spent 37 years in South East AB hunting and fishing and have seen lots of changes. deer numbers are down due to careless amounts of tages given out in recent history and 1 real harsh winter back a few years ago and now numbers are down but not as bad as some tend to believe. Bowhunters in 148 and 150 take a decent number of mule deer each year I know of 10 so far this year in 148 alone. and with the draw numbers at 25 Mule Deer Buck tags in 148, and 52 Buck tags in 150. Most hunters go out with dreams of a 180 plus deer and are happy when that 140 hits the dirt. There are a few serious deer hunters that say 190 or tag soup. Now are there 25 Bucks in 148 unless your stupid or blind there are alot more than that. I spend a bit of time out there, I have seen just recently at least 8 in that 180 to 200 inch mark and 20 to 30 decent bucks in that 165 range. And a fair bit more of the younger ones. 150 has pretty good numbers right now I have spoke to land owners and friends out in 150 and they say not the numbers of 25 years ago but a decent sized herd with some serious big deer along the river, just have to put on the good boots and walk your butt off, you wouldnt find quads or much other hunting traffic in some of the area along the river, most people stay as far away as possible. BTW I didnt get drawn this year and have only logged about 15 hours a week since Aug just looking at deer. If I got drawn those numbers would be alot bigger
Old 10-23-2013, 03:42 PM

[ I have seen just recently at least 8 in that 180 to 200 inch mark and 20 to 30 decent bucks in that 165 range.

WOW!!!! That is Heaven!!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Thats impressive alright. I live and spend all my time in what used to be wonderful muledeer country, and i havnt seen a bonafide 200 inch deer in 5 years. A 180 is really doing something, and when it happens its a 4.5 or 5.5 yr old that made a big jump. Old deer pretty well do not exist in southern alberta anymore save special situations.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Thats impressive alright. I live and spend all my time in what used to be wonderful muledeer country, and i havnt seen a bonafide 200 inch deer in 5 years. A 180 is really doing something, and when it happens its a 4.5 or 5.5 yr old that made a big jump. Old deer pretty well do not exist in southern alberta anymore save special situations.
There are mature deer in Southern Alberta, no question about it...

As for 200's, they do exist......... How many pic's do you need to see or video of the last two seasons to provide proof to the myth of the dream
Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Sure there are mature deer. Even a first rack deer can breed does lol. If you have giants and are boasting a healthy mule deer herd dynamic, you best enjoy it, cause everyone else can only dream our herds were constructed like yours, and saskatchewan's.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Got any field photos, ya cant tease that way eh, love lookin at magnum mules man

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Gone Hunting

yup, would love to see photos of even a 180 Mule from up here.......there may be a couple, but...... 600 antlered MD tags given out for 200 and 202, assuming 25% success rate, the herd can't take that.....but she thinks 1 mule deer/ sq. km is lots...??????
Old 10-23-2013, 04:51 PM

bear with me...first post
a friend of mine drew an antelope tag in 807 this year, 10 plus years for the tag, only to find out they drew 208 tags this year after only drawing 50 some last year and then having another severe winter. his expectations shrank.
when we made it out on thursday we say very few antelope and damn few older bucks. at the service station in jenner the owner said the hunters coming in are shooting a lot of 10-12 inch bucks, there's just not enough for as many tags as there was.
as for mule deer, i'm in a decent area and we are topping out at 180 recently with these winters
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Enjoy the decline....
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadirk View Post
I spend a bit of time out there, I have seen just recently at least 8 in that 180 to 200 inch mark and 20 to 30 decent bucks in that 165 range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
[ I have seen just recently at least 8 in that 180 to 200 inch mark and 20 to 30 decent bucks in that 165 range.

WOW!!!! That is Heaven!!
no, its not heaven....its utter bullsnot. some guys just have no clue about field judging. its much easier to talk about animals that size than to prove it.

no question there are a few out there, but this post is just ridiculous. its nearly as absurd as the fool that claimed to see 3 B&C mules in 234 in a single day a while back. anyone that knows what is going on out there is rolling their eyes at the claim....
Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Gone Hunting

...or the guy that saw 12 50" moose in 203 in 2 hours, I lived in that zone for 8 years, didn't see 12 in that time
Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl Ant View Post
Enjoy the decline....
Now why is that SO familiar? LOL
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
...or the guy that saw 12 50" moose in 203 in 2 hours, I lived in that zone for 8 years, didn't see 12 in that time
lol....haven't seen that post, but heard about it. its cool....some guys dream in Technicolor....
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Gone Hunting

I will buy my deer tag once again, just because it is what I've done for a lot of Novembers, but wow, the population is hurting.....
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned

Regardless of what all of the turdies on this forum say or believe, the bottom line is just simply that there are WAY TOO MANY TAGS given out in the zones in southeastern Alberta where I live, end of story.

Last year zone 119 gave out 10 mule deer buck tags plus whatever the crooked outfitters got. This year there are 75 tags given, plus what the crooked outfitters got. My calculator tells me that SRD says there are 7.5 times more deer there this year than last.

Last year zone 118 gave out 35 mule deer buck tags plus whatever the crooked outfitters got. This year there are 100 tags given, plus what the crooked outfitters got. My calculator tells me that SRD says there are 3 times more deer there this year than last.

As for the does they have once again given out ridiculous numbers of tags.

It is asenine to try to justify this, it is simply impossible. End of story.

As was said previous"THIS IS ALBERTA BOYS....AND GIRLS, TAKE WHAT YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN!" KILL THEM ALL THEN WE CAN STOP ARGUING AND ALL WILL BE WELL!

Sorry but I still can't believe the 15705 posts. WOW!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Are you able to fill your tags in these zones?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Are you able to fill your tags in these zones?
do you even pay attention to the discussion?, MAN!!!!! SRD keeps issuing tags for phantom deer, they want them wiped out over the CWD fears(?), it will not happen, but they are doing a credible job so far.....
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Somebody is gonna turn green! Lol jk
Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
do you even pay attention to the discussion?, MAN!!!!! SRD keeps issuing tags for phantom deer, they want them wiped out over the CWD fears(?), it will not happen, but they are doing a credible job so far.....
pop a couple Capotens and take a seat grandpa.

My question stands.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 PM

I had a f&w officer tell me srd got a new biologist this year and he was responsible for the huge tag increases. Even the f&w guy was shaking his head.
I wonder who put that guy through university
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleecat View Post
I had a f&w officer tell me srd got a new biologist this year and he was responsible for the huge tag increases. Even the f&w guy was shaking his head.
I wonder who put that guy through university
You can only work with the data you have.

What kind of survey work is done annually in all of these WMU's?
Gone Hunting

Quote:

My question stands.
Id love to take a stab at your question slim...
As it stands, its a mighty stupid question. Think about it and you will answer it yourself.
Heres your answer, to save you a big bunch of time lolol
If like other zones down here, sure a guy can fill multiple doe and a buck tag/s... If you know the ground and know your stuff..
For everyone else, they will just roll around not finding deer. After 3 or 4 days, our not so hypothetical truck full of clowns with 6 plus tags manage to find a remnant of our once beautiful and healthy deer herds, and proceed to create yet another sh@t wreck, further imposing landowner/private land closures to hunters weve grown so used to lately
Smart guy ,,, wanna tell me what happens in the field when srd gives out tags like this, there is not game sufficient or justifiable of said tags, and a bunh of gun toting townies roll in to draw some blood. Wanna tell everyone what lengths guys will go to when they finally find a small family group of does after a soured hunt???? U dont have to use your imagination, a big bunch of us can tell you just what level this deal goes to.
Hows that for your standing question. Enjoy your pocket full of muledeer tags u a******.

Keep a strain on er
Gone Hunting

Quote:

My question stands.
your posts are always so well written and insightful, thank you....why do you feel the need to comment on a hunting thread, when you don't hunt??, would u feel more comfortable if the mods started an insect thread???
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM

I was one of the few to have a Muly buck tag in 118 last year.

I spent a fair bit of time scouting.
Most does appeared to have twins....
I saw a lot of deer,might have something to do with so few hunters out compared to years past.
My 187 gross buck was the best I saw and luckily harvested...
Another easy winter for them down there,numbers should spike.
Do I think 100 buck tags is a bit much ....Yup
Do I think there was a shortage of deer last year....No
But like I said the twins they all had might have scewed the numbers,mature bucks were not abundant...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Ya lots of our does had twins last year and again this year too but our winter last year was way different than yours. We've had pretty signifigant winter kill 2 of the last three years...last year being not quite as bad.
As for the game surveys. They are done airially but its my understanding that they do not fly every zone every year. Anybody know that?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
You can only work with the data you have.

What kind of survey work is done annually in all of these WMU's?
Zero , none , zilch !!

Get , got it ... Good