Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
2.harass, injure or kill any wildlife with a vehicle, aircraft or boat.

3.hunt any wildlife with or from an aircraft, or communicate, for the purpose of hunting, the signs or whereabouts of wildlife seen during a flight on an aircraft.

11.transport big game hunters, except those requiring medical aid, or big game by helicopter over WMUs 400-446.

12.land or take off in a fixed-wing aircraft that is carrying big game, big game hunters or firearms of a calibre larger than .22 at or from any location in WMUs 400-446 except those locations where aircraft routinely land and take off.

13.hunt big game within 6 hours of having disembarked from an aircraft, except for a jet or turbo-propelled aircraft.

I see what your saying sheep. My question that I might not be understanding is, the way I read it.....After 6 hours your good to go, unless your in a jet or turbo prop, then you can go asap.
That just applies to flying into a camp...etc. If the pilot saw a moose on that flight and said "hey potty, check that moose out" you couldn't hunt it.....legally.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

The F&W used to fly around with helicopters to check licenses, now they should fly around just to enforce the air traffic.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
That just applies to flying into a camp...etc. If the pilot saw a moose on that flight and said "hey potty, check that moose out" you couldn't hunt it.....legally.
Interesting!, how long would you have to wait before wondering into the area, to look for that moose? What if you were the pilot in commmand ?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Interesting!, how long would you have to wait before wondering into the area, to look for that moose? What if you were the pilot in commmand ?
I suspect there is a common sense clause...lol...but no time is specified in the regs. Don't look down and don't talk to the pilot and you are good to go
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I suspect there is a common sense clause...lol...but no time is specified in the regs. Don't look down and don't talk to the pilot and you are good to go
lmao !
Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

I read it as two seperate prohibitions. My interpretation is: You cant hunt an area/animal you found with aircraft. You cant hunt within 6 hrs of flyin in a plane other than a big commercial one.

Quote:
3.hunt any wildlife with or from an aircraft, or communicate, for the purpose of hunting, the signs or whereabouts of wildlife seen during a flight on an aircraft.
13.hunt big game within 6 hours of having disembarked from an aircraft, except for a jet or turbo-propelled aircraft.

Those are all the rules i see in our regs.

I see what your saying sheep. My question that I might not be understanding is, the way I read it.....After 6 hours your good to go, unless your in a jet or turbo prop, then you can go asap.Whether it's hunting or info, i could be wrong, but that how i read it?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Anyone notice our little yellow friend flying about in 250, 506,508.

My neighbors calls him 5 O'clock Lloyd.

He flies low and he flies legal.

And he flies away every time he sees me on my hill.

Do I know who he is?

Yes. And the aircraft is not owned by a person named Lloyd.

Anyone else on this forum into aircraft tracking, civilian or military?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM

From whence does he hail ?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Not quite potty...it's illegal to hunt any big game seen from an airplane...no time restriction. The pilot is covered under the definition of hunting while spotting. You might want to listen to what guys like shed and a few others that live there are saying about 234.

It's unlawful to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
If the plane is deemed to be "Harassing" wildlife, charges can and should be laid.

The law regarding the use of aircraft and hunting has more limitations than just a six hour wait. After the plane lands, the occupants from the aircraft CANNOT legally tell anyone what they saw if the information is used for the purpose of hunting. This has been upheld in court.

+ what SH just posted above....

Deja Vu....
Quote:
2.harass, injure or kill any wildlife with a vehicle, aircraft or boat.

11.transport big game hunters, except those requiring medical aid, or big game by helicopter over WMUs 400-446.

12.land or take off in a fixed-wing aircraft that is carrying big game, big game hunters or firearms of a calibre larger than .22 at or from any location in WMUs 400-446 except those locations where aircraft routinely land and take off.

Those are all the rules i see in our regs.

I see what your saying sheep. My question that I might not be understanding is, the way I read it.....After 6 hours your good to go, unless your in a jet or turbo prop, then you can go asap.Whether it's hunting or info, i could be wrong, but that how i read it?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lmao !

If YOU obtained information about the location of wildlife while in an aircraft, YOU may hunt those animals after 6 hours. BUT....

A person may not at ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE communicate information obtained while in an aircraft with anyone regarding the location of wildlife for the purpose of hunting.

Another consideration that must be factored in.

If you disembark from an aircraft and immediately start your pursuit of wildlife spotted from the plane, even if that trip takes you more than 6 hours to get to the animals, (Such as spotting sheep from the air, landing, then going after the sheep, which may take many hours to get to them) you likely will be charged with hunting BEFORE waiting six hours.

There is more legislation than has been posted here so far.

From the Wildlife Act-Hunting Regulations

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...-143-1997.html

Quote:

Communication of information acquired in aircraft flight

125 A person who is on an aircraft flight, or who is disembarking or has disembarked from an aircraft, shall not communicate the whereabouts or signs of wildlife witnessed by anyone during the flight to any other person for the purpose of assisting anyone to hunt.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
I read it as two seperate prohibitions. My interpretation is: You cant hunt an area/animal you found with aircraft. You cant hunt within 6 hrs of flyin in a plane other than a big commercial one.
i thought that was obvious?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM

So i am not the only one seeing this? funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM

I respect all the legislation surrounding this hunting from a plane stuff BUT people have to be caught to be charged and clearly things aren't being enforced if this keeps happening day after day and year after year.....thats the saddest part of it all.

LC
Old 11-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
So i am not the only one seeing this? funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Care to enlighten us?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM

I am not the only person observing the said plane seeing deer and then looping around a lot lower for? Pictures I guess! Right! Then the next day hunting the same area! And no there are no cattle for miles and no pipelines for miles! For those who choose to defend!

That's what I am getting at.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Ah I agree then. I can take pics next week as well!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
I am not the only person observing the said plane seeing deer and then looping around a lot lower for? Pictures I guess! Right! Then the next day hunting the same area! And no there are no cattle for miles and no pipelines for miles! For those who choose to defend!

That's what I am getting at.
How come I was not surprised when someone suggested it was Air Lloyd?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Not Lloyd air.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've heard of ranchers doing aerial searches for livestock. Let's not get the anti-aircraft guns yet.

Grizz
If it's the same white and light blue cub I saw...he wasn't a rancher...unless someone bought about 3 more ranches and the people living on them now didn't bother to mention it.

He has been at it for years and I saw him again on the weekend.
I also saw a couple guys in a truck that were either trying to get his numbers or...were his mobile ground support.
I got the numbers off the plane but the truck plates were obscured.
But I did get a picture of it.

I ran the plane registry numbers and he is a local gas station owner... not a cattleman and not a oil company man.

I'm contacting SRD tomorrow morning and complaining... at least this year he didn't buzz me.
Couple years ago the same plane came in at tree top level... and made a couple passes over me.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 11-21-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Banned

Just an update... now that I have his number I have made enquiries to Transport Canada about how to file a complaint through them.

Hopefully they'll get back to me.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM

I had a white plane with blue stripe buzz me in the river valley just west of were you guys are seeing the plane, He was buzzing the ravines and the bush on the top of the valley. Not sure what he was up too.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Sling your rifles and keep the cameras handy... eventually we'll get him.

Keep an eye out for an older greyish-blue half ton with a headache rack and two nervous looking guys in it. I'm sure they were following... they jumped in that truck and floored it when they spotted us watching them.

No reply from Transport Canada yet.
I'm stopping in to see a local F&W gent when I'm out later in the week.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Sling your rifles and keep the cameras handy... eventually we'll get him.

Keep an eye out for an older greyish-blue half ton with a headache rack and two nervous looking guys in it. I'm sure they were following... they jumped in that truck and floored it when they spotted us watching them.

No reply from Transport Canada yet.
I'm stopping in to see a local F&W gent when I'm out later in the week.
Glad to see someone is getting serious in stopping these guys. Thanks Pesky.

For others who see suspicious activity. Feel free to take a little time away from hunting to help protect OUR Wildlife. In the end, you'll be glad you made the effort.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:28 PM

The day after I shot my moose in 234 I was waiting on a water hole for elk and this guy came flying over about 50ft above the tree tops. I was on a section where there was no cattle so I know he wasn't checking fence or anything. Kept going back and forth in a S pattern. Sorry about the pic it was off my BB and I was giving the guy the finger with the other hand. Not sure if this is the same plane everyone else is seeing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00127.jpg (38.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Default WMU 234 super cub plane

If it's numbers are C-F-YJM, then I know exactly who it is. He's famous for this. Lots of guys around here would love to shoot him down! If you get a chance call Phil Goyer (Aviation) @ 780-4952258, and Lionel Veldkamp (Fishcop) @ 7806325411 or 7802083851 and report him!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 PM

I didn't write down the numbers and I tried zooming in but the pic is crap. Without the numbers I got nothing.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

Good news!!!

I hope...

I just checked my email and the Ministry of Transprot, Aviation Enforcement folks got back to me about the guy I saw.

Hopefully they will be able to help out since at least 3 other guys here all saw the same plane and got his numbers.

I wish I had some pics of him so they could look at the scale and determine for sure the altitude but...there is a pretty big difference between the height he was flying and the 1000 foot minimum required.

Here's hoping...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

Wanna prosecute this guy for flying over your place, start a little mink farm in your old granary.

A little known law..... for pilots.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Banned

Not an option for me I'm afraid.

Thing is...he is flying waaay lower than 1000 feet...at least til he spots someone other than his ground crew and pulls up hard.

I'm thinking that if myself and enough of the other guys that have seen him complain about him passing over them 30-50 feet above the trees...maybe they'll ground him... since SRD can't do anything without photographic proof.
Which...I don't have yet. (The one pic I did get is too crappy and lacks anything useful to use for scale...)
Too bad... you could probably get some guy with a slide rule to determine height easily with the right pics.

I have one other fella lined up to contact the Aviation Enforcement folks already.

My hope is that when I talk to the guy next week... he will have some encouraging news and that others here will be willing to pick up a phone as well.

Should I post the link to the site I first contacted or maybe the Enforcement Officers contact info?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
In November?!?!?! Hahahahaha.

Must be like ice-wine... Ice-bud!
Big infrared lights! helps keep those plants warm.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

The altitude restriction only applies over populated areas, towns, buildings, etc...as stated B4...