Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-06-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
“A recently retired provincial fish and game officer who handled Lertzman’s case said the man was injured by the bear at the top of the embankment, fell and struck his head on a tree and was then fatally injured by the pursuing grizzly.”

Ok

So was the victim consumed by the bear?

If not then the attack was not predatory.

Thus the bear was simply defending her self or cubs.

When people jog through the bush they can easily startle a bear causing an attack.

You guys just want to get the “call”

Fill your trophy room with a sow an cubs. lol.

Most bear attacks are totally preventable

Pay attention when playing in the woods people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Ok

So was the victim consumed by the bear?

If not then the attack was not predatory.

Thus the bear was simply defending her self or cubs.

When people jog through the bush they can easily startle a bear causing an attack.

You guys just want to get the “call”

Fill your trophy room with a sow an cubs. lol.

Most bear attacks are totally preventable

Pay attention when playing in the woods people

There are no words aside from "lol"
Old 09-06-2024, 09:23 AM

This is why it is so difficult to get anything done with Grizzlies.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-06-2024, 09:32 AM

The maddening thing is, reading the news articles and comments, they're insinuating that the moratorium on Grizzlies has ended, when it really hasn't. At least not in the sense that people believe it has (i.e. ability to draw/buy tags).
Old 09-06-2024, 09:43 AM

First off you can’t blame the bear for protecting her young this is how these encounters and attacks happen. You also can’t blame the hunter for calling elj while hunting elk if that was the case. As for f@w releasing the bear without a gps chip is plain stupidity!!! Chip her and follow her and when she gets to close then dart her and the cubs and fly her back to a remote location for drop off. They do not have to kill the bear but when they find her I’m sure that’s what will happen. It’s sad but this could have bin avoided all together.
Old 09-06-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
This is why it is so difficult to get anything done with Grizzlies.

What do you want to see “done” with the bears?

They are a part of nature

Atv deaths out number death by bear x1000

We should outlaw atvs in the forest .

Old 09-06-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
First off you can’t blame the bear for protecting her young this is how these encounters and attacks happen. You also can’t blame the hunter for calling elj while hunting elk if that was the case. As for f@w releasing the bear without a gps chip is plain stupidity!!! Chip her and follow her and when she gets to close then dart her and the cubs and fly her back to a remote location for drop off. They do not have to kill the bear but when they find her I’m sure that’s what will happen. It’s sad but this could have bin avoided all together.
That will last for what? A day?
How long did it take the bear that was dropped up around Dawson to make it back to Sundre?
Old 09-06-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
What do you want to see “done” with the bears?

They are a part of nature

Atv deaths out number death by bear x1000

We should outlaw atvs in the forest .

If she is a problem, and she is, she needs to be destroyed.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-06-2024, 10:08 AM

Mellisophobia

Kill the bear
Kill the cubs cuz they are learning tricks of the trade

Kill em all. (Metallica)

Old 09-06-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Mellisophobia

Kill the bear

Kill em all. (Metallica)

What do you suggest?

-Billy Molls
Old 09-06-2024, 11:30 AM

I like to get all the facts first before I make decisions.

If she was intentionally preying on these two victims then yes put her down.

But the first attack may not have been predatory so I give the bear the benefit of the doubt.

If someone can proved actual facts from the first attack I would reconsider my opinion.

Any time a hunter makes a sound imitating prey then they have to accept the fact that a predator may come in. There fore it is the responsibility of the hunter to be prepared for such encounters.

I have no sympathy for anyone who chooses to hunt in grizzly country with out some form of defence other than a bow and arrrow.

I have called in a grizzly sow with two adult cubs once and I have the stained shorts to prove it.

Old 09-06-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Mellisophobia

Kill the bear

Kill em all. (Metallica)

DNA says she's 2 for 2. And if hunter is bugling for elk, that's certainly not a 'defend the cubs' situation.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 09-06-2024, 11:51 AM

Default Apiphobia/Mellisophobia fear of bees.

Quote:
Mellisophobia

Kill the bear

Kill em all. (Metallica)

Fear of Bears is Arkoudaphobia, is what you meant?

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-06-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
DNA says she's 2 for 2. And if hunter is bugling for elk, that's certainly not a 'defend the cubs' situation.
I would agree.

When feeling threatened, bears have a few choices - and one of the choices is rounding up the cubs and getting outta Dodge. This bear chooses to attack instead.

In this bear's case, her first victim wasn't even posing a threat.

In the second instance, we can only assume the hunter was calling for elk, but that may not have been the case either.

The fact is, bears have lost their fear of us. And they are increasing in number.
Old 09-06-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I would agree.

When feeling threatened, bears have a few choices - and one of the choices is rounding up the cubs and getting outta Dodge. This bear chooses to attack instead.

In this bear's case, her first victim wasn't even posing a threat.

In the second instance, we can only assume the hunter was calling for elk, but that may not have been the case either.

The fact is, bears have lost their fear of us. And they are increasing in number.

My understanding on the news last night is that there are multiple sets of Sows with cubs in the same area. There Searching a 160 acre plot and seeing multiple grizzly bears and having difficulty determining which one is responsible. Too funny.

BW
Old 09-06-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
My understanding on the news last night is that there are multiple sets of Sows with cubs in the same area. There Searching a 160 acre plot and seeing multiple grizzly bears and having difficulty determining which one is responsible. Too funny.

BW
Whoa, that's crazy!

And not surprising.
Old 09-06-2024, 12:46 PM

They’ve been in the area killing cattle for 2 weeks. This is not a remote area it is full of acreages, and a school. She has now attacked at least two people, she’s out stayed her welcome.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:

BW
But but but, they're nearing extinction. How can this be?
Old 09-06-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:

BW
Who would have thought.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-06-2024, 01:52 PM

My neighbour who was the one who found the body of the gentleman who was killed by the bear in Waprious, stated to me that he was attacked from behind, his finger, scalp, and face were ripped off and then the bear rode him down the embankment and crushed his skull on the river bank.
Speculation only, that the bear and one cub were seen on the Rabbit Lake Reservation the next morning.
Bluedog
Old 09-06-2024, 02:31 PM

Here is a thought.

Wouldn’t it be a better bear protection policy to have the said bear run for its life when facing a human? In this particular example, wouldn’t the cubs learn the lesson that when you are too close to a human, you may hear a bang, and if you hear the bang it may be too late? Of course, I don’t know how old the cubs were and whether their own survival would be affected by such a lesson.

I talked to a park warden (or whoever he was) that was shooting bear bangers at a black bear at Liard Hot Springs some years ago. He said that they give the bears two warnings with the bear bangers, but if they come back the third time to where people are they put them down. That was the second warning for that particular bear he said. On the one hand, maybe a sound policy. On the other, the bear knows after the second time (if not after the first) that the bang is just a bang that leaves it unharmed.
Old 09-06-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Here is a thought.

Wouldn’t it be a better bear protection policy to have the said bear run for its life when facing a human? In this particular example, wouldn’t the cubs learn the lesson that when you are too close to a human, you may hear a bang, and if you hear the bang it may be too late? Of course, I don’t know how old the cubs were and whether their own survival would be affected by such a lesson.

I talked to a park warden (or whoever he was) that was shooting bear bangers at a black bear at Liard Hot Springs some years ago. He said that they give the bears two warnings with the bear bangers, but if they come back the third time to where people are they put them down. That was the second warning for that particular bear he said. On the one hand, maybe a sound policy. On the other, the bear knows after the second time (if not after the first) that the bang is just a bang that leaves it unharmed.
>>
Unfortunately I think the only way the cubs will actually learn is if they see a sibling perish in the human interaction. This or experience such agony they will run the other way any time the 2 legged creatures come within earshot, sight or smell, which includes mom. Yet in her fury, the ony thing that would stop her is if her heart stops.
Old 09-06-2024, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
My neighbour who was the one who found the body of the gentleman who was killed by the bear in Waprious, stated to me that he was attacked from behind, his finger, scalp, and face were ripped off and then the bear rode him down the embankment and crushed his skull on the river bank.
Speculation only, that the bear and one cub were seen on the Rabbit Lake Reservation the next morning.
Bluedog
If that is true, and I believe that it is, it’s unfortunate that his spouse is willing to lie about the circumstances around the attack to save the bear. That absolutely blows my mind.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-06-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I like to get all the facts first before I make decisions.

If she was intentionally preying on these two victims then yes put her down.

But the first attack may not have been predatory so I give the bear the benefit of the doubt.

If someone can proved actual facts from the first attack I would reconsider my opinion.

Any time a hunter makes a sound imitating prey then they have to accept the fact that a predator may come in. There fore it is the responsibility of the hunter to be prepared for such encounters.

I have no sympathy for anyone who chooses to hunt in grizzly country with out some form of defence other than a bow and arrrow.

I have called in a grizzly sow with two adult cubs once and I have the stained shorts to prove it.

Sorry, this bear group was within a relatively heavily human presenced area including hamlets, towns, several golf courses and numerable acreages, only a matter of time before there would be a conflict. Calling in a Grizzly in that area would be regarded as highly unusual, they're not supposed to be there.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-06-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
If that is true, and I believe that it is, it’s unfortunate that his spouse is willing to lie about the circumstances around the attack to save the bear. That absolutely blows my mind.
From my understanding the wife and family friends sang folk songs by his body all night until the body could be recovered.
Tree hugger extraordinaire!
Old 09-06-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
It's hardly a "remote area" .
I did not use the word remote anywhere in my post.

Maybe you responded to the wrong post .... I dunno ...

And yes, I agree, it's not remote at all ..... so a emoji right back at you brother !!!!
Old 09-06-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
They’ve been in the area killing cattle for 2 weeks. This is not a remote area it is full of acreages, and a school. She has now attacked at least two people, she’s out stayed her welcome.
This! Pull your heads out of your asses bleeding hearts. This bear isn’t in Yaha! This bear is pushed east because the populations are too high. 3 people need to be mauled?
Old 09-07-2024, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I believe the initial attack in Waiporous was also from behind. To claim she hasn’t fatally wounded anyone because he hit his head on a tree at some point during the attack is an odd take.
I also recall reading this about the Waiporous attack.

If Mrs. Grizz has developed a taste for ambush, look the $#%& out!
Old 09-08-2024, 07:11 AM

I've been saying this to peeps I know in Ontario, for several years now.

If the grizzly hunt in Alberta is not resumed (when? how soon?) within the next 10-20 years there will be grizzlies in northern Ontario.

It's inevitable expansion across the northern boreal forest (and yes some prairie, but those bears will be culled).

But the grizzlies that confine their range in the northern forest will eventually reach Ontario.

And I would love to see that happen in my lifetime.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 09-08-2024, 08:57 AM

You are hoping we don’t have a Grizzly bear season until they have migrated to Ontario?

-Billy Molls