Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
For those standing on the sidelines, I recommend a trip over to CGN >Precision Rifles>Jury Custom Barrels. Mostly the same players commenting in both, but things got a bit quieter after a post by a ranked SBR competitor who bore scopes and video logs his barrels (including some Jurys). His assessment being that he observed "Jury barrels have radial lines all the way down the barrel caused from either drilling or reaming" ... the remedy for which which he opined ..."needs a better reamer to clean them up or start lapping barrels". Of course lots more said in the thread, but so far, no one is contesting his credibility.
A fairly rapid departure from posts two and three at the begining of this thread...

R.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM

To be honest i dont give a rats ***** about what your buddys friend saw on a borescope or whether you think there is a burr in the barrel all i care about is if the durned thing shoots well! Bob could be cutting em with a ground down chisel in a missaligned lathe for all i care as long as the thing shoots well when he is done.

This was shot by me yesterday out of my brand new jurry barrel in 20practical. Only took 3 shots to sight in so i shot this group with some of the remaining loaded ammo. No barrel break in no load development or anything. Thats 5 shots under an inch (including flyer) and the flyer was my fault not the gun.
You guys can sit around and bark at each other on the internet and while you do that i will be out shooting my new rifle.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Banned

Imagine how well the rifle would have shot with a premium barrel on it...

I am glad you are happy with it, but there is far more to a barrel than just how accurate it shoots, such as fouling, consistency, and other factors.

Again, what works for some, does not work for all.

R.

Last edited by Rman; 04-14-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
To be honest i dont give a rats ***** about what your buddys friend saw on a borescope or whether you think there is a burr in the barrel all i care about is if the durned thing shoots well!
Agreed
Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
To be honest i dont give a rats ***** about what your buddys friend saw on a borescope or whether you think there is a burr in the barrel all i care about is if the durned thing shoots well! Bob could be cutting em with a ground down chisel in a missaligned lathe for all i care as long as the thing shoots well when he is done.

This was shot by me yesterday out of my brand new jurry barrel in 20practical. Only took 3 shots to sight in so i shot this group with some of the remaining loaded ammo. No barrel break in no load development or anything. Thats 5 shots under an inch (including flyer) and the flyer was my fault not the gun.
You guys can sit around and bark at each other on the internet and while you do that i will be out shooting my new rifle.
Well said!!! Looks like your 20 Practical is going to be a lot of fun in the gopher patch. Wish I could be there to have some fun with you. That group reminds me of this one that you shot last summer while trying a new load for me. The one out of the group was the first one that you shot and was likely my fault as I didn't warn you about the 6 oz. set trigger. Looks like your Jury barrel will shoot as well as my premium Kreiger once you tweak that load. I am sure that a Jury barrel would shoot my load into 1/4" as well. You just used the wrong reamer or we would have found out . I chronographed that load at just over 3600 fps and found that it held 0.265 MOA to 300 M.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
A fairly rapid departure from posts two and three at the begining of this thread...

R.
so what a man could hang on to his opinion into stupidity , pesky style, or be open
Old 04-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
so what a man could hang on to his opinion into stupidity , pesky style, or be open
Or, he could believe the word of the few, over the experince of many...

It really is all about choices...

R.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
Well said!!! Looks like your 20 Practical is going to be a lot of fun in the gopher patch. Wish I could be there to have some fun with you. That group reminds me of this one that you shot last summer while trying a new load for me. The one out of the group was the first one that you shot and was likely my fault as I didn't warn you about the 6 oz. set trigger. Looks like your Jury barrel will shoot as well as my premium Kreiger once you tweak that load. I am sure that a Jury barrel would shoot my load into 1/4" as well. You just used the wrong reamer or we would have found out . I chronographed that load at just over 3600 fps and found that it held 0.265 MOA to 300 M.
[IMG][/IMG]
why not just shoot another group with out the strays ?
Old 04-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW223 View Post
He only had 5 rounds as this was the first group shot with this load to test for accuracy. Only one stray unless you count the 4 into .24" as strays.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Priceless
Old 04-14-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more!

Haters gotta hate...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
He only had 5 rounds as this was the first group shot with this load to test for accuracy. Only one stray unless you count the 4 into .24" as strays.
unfortunately they count them all in competition ,so I see a .7+,
wouldn't it be better if the "strays" went into the group?
curious how they both spit a shot in the same manner don't you think?
Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
unfortunately they count them all in competition ,so I see a .7+,
wouldn't it be better if the "strays" went into the group?
curious how they both spit a shot in the same manner don't you think?
on the target lclund posted the flyer was my first shot and like he said the trigger was a bit of a surprise haha. im used to light triggers but not that light. the shot on my target was the last shot and that one is completely my fault i got a bit too exited about how awesome the group was going to be and rushed my final shot.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 AM

the most common saying I hear is "the gun shoots better than I do" or "when I do my part" they are usually associated with groups like these, 4 and ones or three and twos , its usually the rifle , for some reason one always falls out of the group and the shooters blame themselves when in reality it is either out of tune , the barrel is coppering or simply not up to the task.
just a thought, predominantly when a shooter gets excited , the shots go down a bullet hole.
looks like you have a great varmint rifle there, best of luck in the gopher fields. shoot lots and have fun that's really what its all about
Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
the most common saying I hear is "the gun shoots better than I do" or "when I do my part" they are usually associated with groups like these, 4 and ones or three and twos , its usually the rifle , for some reason one always falls out of the group and the shooters blame themselves when in reality it is either out of tune , the barrel is coppering or simply not up to the task.
just a thought, predominantly when a shooter gets excited , the shots go down a bullet hole.
looks like you have a great varmint rifle there, best of luck in the gopher fields. shoot lots and have fun that's really what its all about
You are right about shooting lots and having fun being what it is all about. Tikka 250 does a lot of shooting, in fact he accounts for thousands of gophers and clay pigeons as well as many coyotes each year. I am confident that if there is a shot out of a group that he shoots then he will know the reason. Like all of the bantering about barrels, dies, etc. we really don't give a rats **** about how they count in competition either. We shoot at targets only to determine how we are doing with load development or to get our rifles fine tuned for the gopher patch.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You are right about shooting lots and having fun being what it is all about. Tikka 250 does a lot of shooting, in fact he accounts for thousands of gophers and clay pigeons as well as many coyotes each year. I am confident that if there is a shot out of a group that he shoots then he will know the reason. Like all of the bantering about barrels, dies, etc. we really don't give a rats **** about how they count in competition either. We shoot at targets only to determine how we are doing with load development or to get our rifles fine tuned for the gopher patch.
my mistake ,I thought you may be interested in getting your rifle to shoot better than .7+ , but your right the gopher will not know, I too shoot many gophers and coyotes throughout the year but I don't use that as a measure for evaluating barrels.
it can only be done on paper where results are measurable and then repeated to confirm ,much the same as we would for bullets powder and all the other components .
you may not care about competition but try to keep in mind it is the driving force for most of the shooting improvements that trickle down to the sporting world.
good shooting
Old 04-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
my mistake ,I thought you may be interested in getting your rifle to shoot better than .7+ , but your right the gopher will not know, I too shoot many gophers and coyotes throughout the year but I don't use that as a measure for evaluating barrels.
it can only be done on paper where results are measurable and then repeated to confirm ,much the same as we would for bullets powder and all the other components .
you may not care about competition but try to keep in mind it is the driving force for most of the shooting improvements that trickle down to the sporting world.
good shooting
yeah sorry maybe should have lead with that haha. lclunds rigs and mine were made with the end goal of medium to long range gopher blasters. of course when trying to hit minute of gopher at longer distances an extremely accurate rifle is required. i have seen lclunds binder of targets and can assure you that he paper tests the living crap out of his rifles. i wish i could say i also am the same but most of my paper testing is only to achieve the best accuracy i can so that i can apply it in a gopher patch or coyote stand.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Banned

My Bob Jury barrel hasn't fouled brand new out of the gate after 50 rounds through it. It has also earned me a cheque for 2nd place in a 2014 shoot in spite of the fact that it was threaded into a Stevens 200 action and one of my own custom F class stocks. My next barrel will come out of Bob's shop.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 PM

Seems to be no in-between on this thread.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Seems to be no in-between on this thread.
Probably because of different expectations / perspectives. What I take from the ranked SRBR shooter commenting in the CGN thread regarding Jury barrels is essentially that Jury barrels are not the choice in that game because they are not to the point where they would be competitive ...(he says that Bartlein, Kreiger, and some MacLenons are currently in the top 20 on equipment lists).
Alternately, some are being successfully used in F-Class. I suppose what this means to those that require a SRBR level of accuracy, the "jury" remains out. And, for those participating in F-Class, Varminting, etc the "jury" is in.
Now, back to the Jury barrel used by a ranked F-classer I mentioned earlier that was "slugged" ... it in fact was lapped.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
My Bob Jury barrel hasn't fouled brand new out of the gate after 50 rounds through it. It has also earned me a cheque for 2nd place in a 2014 shoot in spite of the fact that it was threaded into a Stevens 200 action and one of my own custom F class stocks. My next barrel will come out of Bob's shop.
Shooting moly bullets?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Two shooters???

R.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Here's the local match dates June 13/14, August 1/2 ,August 29/30 see you there , I'll be the guy over cleaning my barrel
Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shooting moly bullets?
No, SMK's and Hornady match. Thanks for those dates HW223, I'll try to make a couple time permitting.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
good shooting
I see that you partake in competitive matches and that is likely the reason that you make these kinds of statements, "[BI thought you may be interested in getting your rifle to shoot better than .7+][/B]". Seems that your kind think that the rest of us do not have accurate rifles nor the ability to shoot. You don't want to get me posting the pictures of 1/3 minus MOA targets that I have shot. Some of them were shot with factory rifles and some with factory rifles re-barreled to my wildcats and all with loads that I developed.

All of the shooting I have done has been without the benefit of any shooting improvements that can be attributed to competitive shooting. In fact I now do all of my shooting with un-trued actions like the CZ 527, which are not highly regarded by the competitive shooting crowd. The only scopes I use are made by Hawke Optics, in China, which is sacrilege according to guys like you. I also do all of my shooting from the bipod, with a cobbled up rear bag when on the bench, or from my Max Box Door Pro, when shooting from my truck.

As tikka250 pointed out I have 100 yard targets for all of the loads I have developed. I do test all of my loads at the ranges I expect to shoot which is
now about 300 Meters with the 20 cal varmint rifle. The group that I posted had the flier due to the fact that tikka250 was not prepared for the CZ Single Set trigger set at 6 oz. You are discounting that target, as in competition it would have been crap, because of the one out of the group making it .7+". To me the following 4 into .24" indicated that it was an awesome load. I did subsequent testing, over the Chrony, that confirmed that and established a velocity of just over 3600 fps with that load. I also confirmed that my 39 BK load shot 0.16" in that rifle as this target shows.
[IMG][/IMG]
The 39 BK load was proven to 300 yards, in my other rifle, as this target shows.
[IMG][/IMG]
I then confirmed that the 40 V-Max, 39 BK and 40 Nosler BT loads would shoot, at least 3 into 1/4 MOA as this 300 meter target shows. Good enough for gophers with a bit of final sight adjustment.
[IMG][/IMG]
I may get the opportunity to try these loads through a Jury barrel and will post my findings. I hope to even get to try them through a factory CZ 527 barrel after I cut and re-chamber it. I will then be able to make a fair comparison to the factory 204 Ruger loads through that barrel.

As you can see I really don't need you insinuating that I would need help getting my rifles to shoot. In fact before you shoot your mouth, or rather your typing finger, off again I suggest that you take your best rifle, your best load, your $2500+ scope, your fancy rests and even your wind flags and show us how much better you can do. Of course you will have to have targets to post.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I see that you partake in competitive matches and that is likely the reason that you make these kinds of statements, "[BI thought you may be interested in getting your rifle to shoot better than .7+][/B]". Seems that your kind think that the rest of us do not have accurate rifles nor the ability to shoot. You don't want to get me posting the pictures of 1/3 minus MOA targets that I have shot. Some of them were shot with factory rifles and some with factory rifles re-barreled to my wildcats and all with loads that I developed.

All of the shooting I have done has been without the benefit of any shooting improvements that can be attributed to competitive shooting. In fact I now do all of my shooting with un-trued actions like the CZ 527, which are not highly regarded by the competitive shooting crowd. The only scopes I use are made by Hawke Optics, in China, which is sacrilege according to guys like you. I also do all of my shooting from the bipod, with a cobbled up rear bag when on the bench, or from my Max Box Door Pro, when shooting from my truck.

As tikka250 pointed out I have 100 yard targets for all of the loads I have developed. I do test all of my loads at the ranges I expect to shoot which is
now about 300 Meters with the 20 cal varmint rifle. The group that I posted had the flier due to the fact that tikka250 was not prepared for the CZ Single Set trigger set at 6 oz. You are discounting that target, as in competition it would have been crap, because of the one out of the group making it .7+". To me the following 4 into .24" indicated that it was an awesome load. I did subsequent testing, over the Chrony, that confirmed that and established a velocity of just over 3600 fps with that load. I also confirmed that my 39 BK load shot 0.16" in that rifle as this target shows.
[IMG][/IMG]
The 39 BK load was proven to 300 yards, in my other rifle, as this target shows.
[IMG][/IMG]
I then confirmed that the 40 V-Max, 39 BK and 40 Nosler BT loads would shoot, at least 3 into 1/4 MOA as this 300 meter target shows. Good enough for gophers with a bit of final sight adjustment.
[IMG][/IMG]
I may get the opportunity to try these loads through a Jury barrel and will post my findings. I hope to even get to try them through a factory CZ 527 barrel after I cut and re-chamber it. I will then be able to make a fair comparison to the factory 204 Ruger loads through that barrel.

As you can see I really don't need you insinuating that I would need help getting my rifles to shoot. In fact before you shoot your mouth, or rather your typing finger, off again I suggest that you take your best rifle, your best load, your $2500+ scope, your fancy rests and even your wind flags and show us how much better you can do. Of course you will have to have targets to post.
I have obviously got you angry ,I must apologize, for that was not my intent ,competing at the highest level in SRBR is my passion just like varminting is yours , I sometimes have tunnel vision and make the mistake that everyone else has the same level of interest in it as I do when in reality we are a small group that are ocd about accuracy .
I don't post test targets simply because they don't mean anything to anyone but me, who cares if I shot a grid with some zeros and some low ones on a test / practice day at the range its no more relevant than when I am testing bullets and shoot .2-.3'son a bad day, its what I can shoot on the day of the competition at a strange range in what ever the conditions are for the week end that counts.
this in no way discounts what you are doing on your test days for yourself ,I would assume you want to know your rifles are on zero and grouping how you like, its a different end game
again sorry to have ruffled your feathers , good shooting and have fun
Old 04-19-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
For those standing on the sidelines, I recommend a trip over to CGN >Precision Rifles>Jury Custom Barrels. Mostly the same players commenting in both, but things got a bit quieter after a post by a ranked SBR competitor who bore scopes and video logs his barrels (including some Jurys). His assessment being that he observed "Jury barrels have radial lines all the way down the barrel caused from either drilling or reaming" ... the remedy for which which he opined ..."needs a better reamer to clean them up or start lapping barrels". Of course lots more said in the thread, but so far, no one is contesting his credibility.
Check the gunutz forum again. Real good update. Once again ole 260 proves his knowledge.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up Dale.
I've been following both threads loosely, as I have a project rifle now complete, with a Jury barrel none the less.
I'm now put at ease that this rifle will fulfill its intended purpose, quite nicely.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Check the gunutz forum again. Real good update. Once again ole 260 proves his knowledge.
Not sure about your comment DJ..I was quoting an experienced BR shooter that had bore scoped ... and certainly never claimed any first hand knowledge ... In any event, I am not crawling into the gutter with you to exchange slags. EDIT: IMO, it is OK to express different opinions on equipment, but being nasty to other members is out of line!
Regarding the CGN update ... sounds like a bit of a hissing contest between some talented SRBR shooters. I do not doubt the integrity of either, notwithstanding their different perspectives.
I do not buy barrels that have not been lapped, which means that I will not be buying any Jury barrels at this time. To each their own.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 04-19-2015 at 06:43 PM.