Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Ok.. Wrong terminology.. I meant no post-secondary.. (yes I know they go to depot)..

?? Maybe i've been misinformed, but making $80k (+benefits) after three years with no post secondary education is very good..

Hell I didn't make that after 5yrs with post secondary..
I cant think of one EPS officer that doesnt have post secondary education....
Just had one female member quit because she got into med school in Calgary tho. Hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:00 PM

it might be an EPS requirement?? CPS/RCMP may not have that requirement or at least the members I know do not have post secondary, I do know one that has post-secondary, but it is in a completely unrelated field.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
it might be an EPS requirement?? CPS/RCMP may not have that requirement or at least the members I know do not have post secondary, I do know one that has post-secondary, but it is in a completely unrelated field.
Yup. Tons of post sec in unrelated fields here too.
Actually most is unrelated.

We have teachers, nurses, BSc, etcetc. A few good tradesmen too.
Quite a few of our inspectors are lawyers.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 PM

Just had a co worker accepted into the RCMP training, his education is high school with a 3RD Class Power Engineering Cert,nothing more.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:37 PM

They let mostly ethnic minorities in without Post Sec. I have two friends that went through depot straight outta high school, one black and one was 1/16th Metis but as white as me, both got in and I have two friends that are white that went through Post Sec and applied for RCMP and never got anywhere. Yet one is now Calgary and the other Saskatoon. The RCMP look to just fill a quota of certain backgrounds because Canada is a diverse country and they need to keep things even.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
um what.. making $80k after three years sucks? Holy hell.. Are you serious.. Not sure where you work, but that is better than P.engs after 3 years..

Remember it doesn't cap at that, it keeps going up.., not to mention isolation pay, on-call OT, benefits, severence, etc.. All in all, that $80k is probably north of $120k once you include all of that.
How an hour does a P eng make in Alberta 30$/h??? Well that's close to 80k/year if they put in 40 hours of OT a month working 40 hour a week. Then benifits, bonuses .... I imagine. I know lots of guys who make more than that (who have little education) and are paid even better! Got to hit Conky, Bville or Fort Mac. If I guy wants to make that though.

I don't think I would want cops to be paid less though, who would that attract? Part of me hates to shell out for that but that's the price! Imagine if the salary was say....50k a year, they'd be recruiting the bottom of the barrel because the smart ones would bail!!! I already can't figure out why anyone would want that job. Lol
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
How an hour does a P eng make in Alberta 30$/h??? Well that's close to 80k/year if they put in 40 hours of OT a month working 40 hour a week. Then benifits, bonuses .... I imagine. I know lots of guys who make more than that (who have little education) and are paid even better! Got to hit Conky, Bville or Fort Mac. If I guy wants to make that though.

I don't think I would want cops to be paid less though, who would that attract? Part of me hates to shell out for that but that's the price! Imagine if the salary was say....50k a year, they'd be recruiting the bottom of the barrel because the smart ones would bail!!! I already can't figure out why anyone would want that job. Lol
30$ an hour is way too much for a P.eng
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Likely union negotiated. Maybe there is little responsibility in the first year and lots of on the job training. Maybe lots quit in the irst year.

Would you do the job for $80 K a year?
not unionized.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Ok.. Wrong terminology.. I meant no post-secondary.. (yes I know they go to depot)..

?? Maybe i've been misinformed, but making $80k (+benefits) after three years with no post secondary education is very good..

Hell I didn't make that after 5yrs with post secondary..
I know and also trained with many with post secondary education that were the dumbest smart'' people that I've ever met. Also, the vast majority of Mounties have some sort of post secondary education or trades. The ones that don't were usually hired at a more advanced age ie 30's plus. They have what is most important and useful in a policing environment- common sense and life experience.

As for your situation, maybe you're just not very good at what you do? Perhaps you didn't research your field of employment as well as you should have prior to deciding what you were going to study. Perhaps that's why you're behind the eight ball after spending all that money gettin' edjumicated.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazy.338 View Post
x2 I didn't apply for the same reason, along with RCMP's long history of corruption. My college roomate was rejected for having to admit to taking a puff one night at a camp fire a year and a half prior....i dont condone drug use but c'mon! Can't say im suprised, i was actually wondering when recruit numbers were going to plummet
As mentioned previously as well as in the article I believe...recruiting numbers haven't 'plummetted' as you claim. The RCMP is just at a point where they don't have as many openings available due to many factors ie budget, staffing levels, normal cyclical reasons etc etc etc. Next year, I hear they will be looking for 1000 new applicants which is getting back up to the yearly average. The RCMP has always been cyclical in their hiring needs, has nothing to do with number of applicants.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
When I started, there were over 2500 applicants for 26 positions.

It's different now for sure.

The polygraph was used to test how truthful you were.

Any drug use, ever, and you were gone.

Things are less stringent now, however, the application process has become more cumbersome.

Shift work is not good for family. Or your health.

EPS now has two ex-Mounties running the place.

Well said , and I hope EPS is enjoying Mr Knecht & Simpson.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM

Default Rcmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 08 View Post
Hate to shock you, but this is a popular misconception, I retired out of the "K" Div recruiting Section. All applicants were given equal opportunity, visible minorities may have had minor incentives, but not to the degree you seem to think. The reason for the lower number of applicants is because many forces are now recruiting across Canada, something they didn't use to do. There are also a lower number of applicants generally, one reason being all of the negative publicity given to police officers by society in general. Another reason for the drop of RCMP applicants is that under the current Commissioner, Paulson, benefits, such as medical, leave, pension, severance pay have been slashed. I can't deny the transfers or promotions comments though, there is some truth to that, likely always will be, same as many organizations.
As a retired Member myself, your comment in regards to Visible Minorities " may have had "minor incentives" is simply deceitful and misleading . You forgot to mention female applicants who had more than a "minor" incentive( No disrespect toward females) The RCMP stopped listening to "Good" Members and they exited the Organization and signed on with any number of good Provincial or Municipal Police Forces. I agree with you that Commissioner PAULSON has slashed and trashed benefits and the Members are unhappy.
The reason the RCMP has seen reduced applicants comes down to the credibility of the Organization. RCMP Credibility with the RCMP Members and the Public has been tarnished . The RCMP is no longer the iconic organization it once was.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM

"The RCMP is no longer the iconic organization it once was."

There it is, right from the horse's mouth.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat01 View Post
Well said , and I hope EPS is enjoying Mr Knecht & Simpson.
Never met either one so their impact on me is nil. Its not like he makes policy or anything. He just signs off on it.

I avoid HQ like the plague.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog hunter View Post
30$ an hour is way too much for a P.eng
What do they make??? Just wondering.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
As a retired Member myself, your comment in regards to Visible Minorities " may have had "minor incentives" is simply deceitful and misleading . You forgot to mention female applicants who had more than a "minor" incentive( No disrespect toward females) The RCMP stopped listening to "Good" Members and they exited the Organization and signed on with any number of good Provincial or Municipal Police Forces. I agree with you that Commissioner PAULSON has slashed and trashed benefits and the Members are unhappy.
The reason the RCMP has seen reduced applicants comes down to the credibility of the Organization. RCMP Credibility with the RCMP Members and the Public has been tarnished . The RCMP is no longer the iconic organization it once was.
So in you're view, what should be done to restore the organization?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
You're missing the important part (after 3 years).. Most engineers wages skyrocket once they hit senior engineer, that's where all the bonus's kick in.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
As for your situation, maybe you're just not very good at what you do? Perhaps you didn't research your field of employment as well as you should have prior to deciding what you were going to study. Perhaps that's why you're behind the eight ball after spending all that money gettin' edjumicated.

WTF.. This has nothing to do with me..
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM

An undergrad degree, some training, plus 3 years on the job for $80K + is a very good salary! Perhaps the tenuous bitumen bubble has inflated what many think is 'good' but relative to the cost of living and rest-of-Canada medians, 80K is great considering those parameters.

A lot of very skilled and educated people make less than 80K after three years on the job.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM

80k in Alberta is a good wage for most jobs. In the patch it's an entry level wage. Put in some years (5-8) 180k plus is easy to attain. It takes different people to do different jobs. I am quite sure it takes a special person to be a police officer and the same applies for people working in the patch. Sometimes it's not all about money. I have been working in the patch for 12 years and I'm getting to the point where I would take less money to just be home with my family more. I have respect for what the RCMP members do day to day and put up with. When I hear about things like taking guns out of houses and people pulled over by *****s, well maybe it's time the RCMP start weeding out these individuals and gain face back. Until then a few bad apples will spoil the whole bunch. P.S I have dealt with cops who were down right *****s and some really great ones too.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Banned

Is it all that surprising? Most law abiding citizens don't want to get into organized crime!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elko View Post
Applications have nothing to do with recruitment, as far as what they are talking about here, the numbers of recruits are dictated by the treasury board, they decide how much money goes to depot, then they fill it accordingly. The low numbers is strictly because the federal govt cut back the money. They still range around 14000 applications a
year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
As mentioned previously as well as in the article I believe...recruiting numbers haven't 'plummetted' as you claim. The RCMP is just at a point where they don't have as many openings available due to many factors ie budget, staffing levels, normal cyclical reasons etc etc etc. Next year, I hear they will be looking for 1000 new applicants which is getting back up to the yearly average. The RCMP has always been cyclical in their hiring needs, has nothing to do with number of applicants.

Quote:
At least these ^^^^^^ posts capture what the link in the OP was talking about. The OP is misleading.......applications have not gone from 1700 to 400. The force is simply reacting to budget cuts vs operating budget. You cut the things (or people) you have to in order to stay within budget and maintain viability, or you get more money from the government (the people) to operate. None of this has to do with restoring faith in the service or a lack of applicants or how much money, skin colour, gender, education, potheads, pothead sympathizers, pothead friends, pothead relatives...

The slashing and trashing of benefits is something that the public service, RCMP and the military have/are experiencing. This creates acrimony in the ranks of those who are in the job, if it affects "them", but this has little to no effect on new recruits, who don't know of historic benefits and don't count on them.

Last edited by CNP; 07-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:58 PM

The RCMP do operate like that of organized crime.

Certain groups in towns have the advantage of working along side of or inter-acting in some ways with the RCMP. Many are good back side kissers and feed the RCMP with any type of information that they want and with no regards as what they are saying as having to be the truth. Just keep the back side kissing up and you will get a favour when needed.

It's too bad for all others as they are just number 1 prey for the RCMP. I believe it is called the "double standards treatment" and the RCMP have become so so good at this.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
The RCMP do operate like that of organized crime.

Certain groups in towns have the advantage of working along side of or inter-acting in some ways with the RCMP. Many are good back side kissers and feed the RCMP with any type of information that they want and with no regards as what they are saying as having to be the truth. Just keep the back side kissing up and you will get a favour when needed.

It's too bad for all others as they are just number 1 prey for the RCMP. I believe it is called the "double standards treatment" and the RCMP have become so so good at this.
dont know about here but back east the ass kissing is very prevalent
Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Hard for me to say it cause on one hand I think the big $ spawns big attitude in people who already have lots if it but reality is I don't want them to get paid less for a number of reasons.
If a guys only making enough to survive and year after year dealing with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of "evidence".... I would fear the spawn of many more rouges... They deal with enough and do deserve it but at the end of the day their pay comes from my pocket so I'm kinda entitled to grumble ....at least a bit...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Bad press.....

I have a multitude of retired RCMP for friends......right up to chief inspectors .

The multitude of incidences accompanied by bad media have done a lot

To discourage educated people from joining the force..

That very tragic Mayerthorpe incident I think opened a lot of eyes .
I have adult male children that I would discourage from taking that career path.

It's sad really ,we are going to need law enforcement and may not be able
To pick from the highest potential .
Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Winch101 Do you not mean "a multitude of bad RCMP incidences exposed by good media coverage".
Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 AM

Interesting read, although it's 2 years old.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
The RCMP is no longer the iconic organization it once was.

This is 100% of the problem.

The lie detector was no biggie. I think I have been on everything but skates... ONCE!

As long as you are truthful, you will pass. It is an integrity test. No need to read anything else into it.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
logic dictates the job sucks... One of those jobs where you need to have a calling and a strong desire to help others.

That would be the most likely reason no one wants to apply. I would never do the job. High stress... People tend to have the mentality of hating police cause they do their job like pulling over speeders or making drug busts.

RCMP can get posted to the crappiest locations like out of control first nation areas.

You can be killed on the job. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...e-of-duty.html

Your work hours suck and shift work kills the body.

Salary
When you successfully complete the Cadet Training Program and have been offered employment, you will be engaged (hired) as a Regular Member Constable at an annual salary of $49,680. Normally, within 36 months of service, your annual salary will have increased incrementally to $80,498.

The following is the salary scale for the Constable rank:

•Entry: $49,680
•6 months service: $64,549
•12 months service: $70,035
•24 months service: $75,522
•36 months service: $80,498

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting...ntages-eng.htm
My son is posted in Ft Mc Greedy , his 3 rd year in the RCMP , he has a wife and 3 kids,
Try living in Ft Mc Stinkee paying $4200 a month in RENT , for an 1000 sq ft 3bed rm duplex , and earning $80,000 a year before deductions/taxes

Then consider how much fat Pigs like Pamela Wallen or Mike Duffy gets paid for Absolutely NO REASON ?