Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
It does sound like lots of work but I don't think too much work when it comes to the safety of my family. I just watched a video where I fireman was telling a story where a family of 5 was killed. They got in an accident and were trapped in their vehicle, the gas line ruptured and they burnt to death. I've read recomendations on an extra inverter, running the fridge for a day and then packing it with ice and turning it off for travel. It just seems like it would be easier to run the gen then simply turn it off when fueling. Still don't know about this one and thinking, I'm a safety nut.
A would say a smart nut. It is too late after something went wrong and you or some one else is dead or injured.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
A would say a smart nut. It is too late after something went wrong and you or some one else is dead or injured.
He should just stay home and not travel with things like gasoline and propane. Much safer.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
The LED strips comes with a double-sided tape, but it tends to let go. I used 3M auto double sided tape. Then I drilled a small 1/4" hole into the trailer, right above a 12V outlet where the TV used to go. Ran the wires down the wall and tied into that 12v plug. The remote control is very handy. This is the unit I bought:

LED Lighting strip

I've also permanently wired a 1000 W Inverter underneath the master bed, and wired it into the two house batteries. So now I have constant AC power into the bedroom. CPAP machine, tablets, phones, etc.
Dave, I like those LED lights and I'd like to install them on mine. Would there be any issues with an electric awning rolling up?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Banned

You do make some good points Dave2.0 I really like the grill set up you installed too. My other concern was extending the life of my fridge as I just read about in the other rv fridge thread, although I'm not sure if you can damage a fridge that is in constant movement ? Hmm

I just found a small battery operated fan you can put in your fridge to circulate the cold air better as stated your cold temperature is maintained by the cooling fins in the top of the fridge. I think I'll just buy this fan, run my fridge for a day, pack it full of ice and beer, cause you need a cold one when you get there and turn it back on at my destination then swap food etc into fridge then put cold beer in coolers. The article I read also stated by doing this you can maintain the temperature pretty good for about 4 hours as long as you don't open it.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I just finished my spring upgrades, new maxxis tires, slide awnings and a fifth wheel stabilizer. I can't believe how much better my trailer rides with the new tires literally night and day. When parked the combination of a more ridged tire and fifth wheel stabilizer stiffened things up considerably, maybe the wife and I won't wake Jr up as often now along with those upgrades I also cleaned and re sealed my roof, no leaks but I had a couple cracks opening around some of the roof vents and I used the self levelling sealer at $14 a tube. I used Best brand rubber roof cleaner and a scrub brush, it was $30 for a 48 oz jug and should last a couple years as its mixed 1.1 with water. My roof didn't look that grubby until I got at it and wow, it was super dirty. I also re painted my gas line as it was starting to show some rust spots. I haven't drained my anti freeze yet but will get to that next time I bring it home. New ionizer rod is still needed
Where'd you get the maxxis tires?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Where'd you get the maxxis tires?
From Maxxis Canada, they are on sale and include shipping. The link is on page 2 of this thread
Old 04-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
He should just stay home and not travel with things like gasoline and propane. Much safer.
I've given this some thought now, for example if your gas line on your fridge or stove snapped and being in a contained area you may have the perfect combination or neutral mixture for a very large explosion. If you broke a line on your truck and unless your parked in a garage the explosion could be far less and chances of damaging a tank are probably next to nil compared to snapping a paper thin gas line contained in your trailer. Large BOOM!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've given this some thought now, for example if your gas line on your fridge or stove snapped and being in a contained area you may have the perfect combination or neutral mixture for a very large explosion. If you broke a line on your truck and unless your parked in a garage the explosion could be far less and chances of damaging a tank are probably next to nil compared to snapping a paper thin gas line contained in your trailer. Large BOOM!
You'd need a very high concentration of propane inside of your trailer and a spark for something like that to happen. If it concerns you, just leave a vent open. I don't think that it's something that you need to worry about too much.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You'd need a very high concentration of propane inside of your trailer and a spark for something like that to happen. If it concerns you, just leave a vent open. I don't think that it's something that you need to worry about too much.
Your probably right, my concern started when reading about damaging a dometic fridge by not having it level and wondered if I could do the same damage having it bouncing down the highway. This lead me to safety issues of leaving your fridge on propane during transport. I know fueling up at the gas station in this condition is illegal but what about running your fridge on propane while in transport ? Is it just taboo or is it law I'm wondering, sounds like it should be
Old 04-10-2016, 01:07 AM
Banned

What's the fridge manual say about it? I'm pretty sure that people travelling across North America don't do anything other than run their fridge off of propane when they are traveling.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Your probably right, my concern started when reading about damaging a dometic fridge by not having it level and wondered if I could do the same damage having it bouncing down the highway. This lead me to safety issues of leaving your fridge on propane during transport. I know fueling up at the gas station in this condition is illegal but what about running your fridge on propane while in transport ? Is it just taboo or is it law I'm wondering, sounds like it should be
No it's not.
The only thing that's illegal is having an open flame near the gas pumps.

Quote:
Many RVers can see no danger in running the refrigerator on propane while on the road. They say they have traveled for years with no problems whatsoever. They point to the safety of propane powered vehicles and argue that we travel with tanks full of gasoline which is much more dangerous. Generally it is legal to travel while using propane, but keep in mind that it is illegal to have any open flames while near a service station fuel pump. And some tunnels and bridges may have restrictions too.
The only place where leaving the propane tanks open is illegal are some tunnels and all MV Ferries. In fact, for Ferry line ups, the last time I went across the Ferry at Arrow lake they physically check each RV unit and place a small tag on it saying that indeed it is shut off at the tank.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:28 AM

An alternative to running your fridge while traveling is to have a large container of water frozen in your freezer, it will keep things fresh for at least 10 hours like a cooler would.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 AM

"The only thing that's illegal is having an open flame near the gas pumps."

When on propane, there is an open flame. When re-fueling a vehicle pulling a travel trailer the fridge is not very close to the gas pump but on my motorhome it is a lot closer. It is recommended to shut off the fridge while re-fueling.

Last edited by Walleye Willy; 04-10-2016 at 08:33 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Seems an awful lot of work for a non-problem. I and almost everyone I know just travel with the fridge on propane. Never turn it off until I put my rv back into the storage yard.
Quote:
So running a generator, filled with volatile gasoline, out in the open in the back of your truck is safer than a propane tank line running at .39 PSI??

If you're in an accident, any line can rupture. Your fuel line. Your fuel tank. The propane tanks can catch fire (I know because I was in one where this happened).

There's no difference between driving with your fridge on propane, than driving a propane powered vehicle, with a giant 60 lb tank on the back with the line open.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No it's not.
The only thing that's illegal is having an open flame near the gas pumps.

The only place where leaving the propane tanks open is illegal are some tunnels and all MV Ferries. In fact, for Ferry line ups, the last time I went across the Ferry at Arrow lake they physically check each RV unit and place a small tag on it saying that indeed it is shut off at the tank.
Dave,

It is illegal to travel with your propane system active. Please contact your insurance company for clarification.

There is a huge difference between auto propane systems vs recreational tow by the way.. One is required to meet transportation laws, the other is not.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Dave,

It is illegal to travel with your propane system active. Please contact your insurance company for clarification...
Can you provide a link to this law? I can't fins anything saying it is illegal in Alberta or Canada.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Can you provide a link to this law? I can't fins anything saying it is illegal in Alberta or Canada.
Recreational propane appliances are intended to operate at a near level position, 3 degrees off level side to side and 6 degrees front to back. Anything other than this can cause appliance damage or personal injury.

So your insurance provider will fall back to manufacturer's instructions and in transit claims will be declined.

Review your owners manual and contact your insurance company.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Recreational propane appliances are intended to operate at a near level position, 3 degrees off level side to side and 6 degrees front to back. Anything other than this can cause appliance damage or personal injury.

So your insurance provider will fall back to manufacturer's instructions and in transit claims will be declined.

So, in other words, its not illegal, but might be contrary to your insurance policy.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I don't know where you're getting your info from but it is incorrect. It is completely legal and is not against insurance policy. You're fridge has to be WAY off kilter before it won't work...and that's only for extended periods of time. (It prevents the freon from travelling the pipes properly).

I just went through this with my insurance claim. Travelling with my rv in tow...propane tanks went off and destroyed everything. Tanks open and fridge operating...no problem with the claim. Everything covered. They interviewed me extensively. Both by police and also by my claims adjuster. Tank valve wasn't even brought up.
It's no different than a propane powered vehicle. You're traveling with a large tank that is open and flowing.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 04-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Banned

I just dug up the information package that came with my trailer and it said the propane should be turned off in travel. Dave2.0 what do you think caused your propane bottles to go off? I wouldn't mind hearing a little more information on this, especially with my son strapped down 7 feet away from my bottles.

When I tested all my lines this spring I noticed one of my propane bottles valves didn't seem right but wasn't leaking. It appeared the threaded coupler on the valve was backing out when it was fully opened, the one that's screwed into the valve when turning the wing nut open, no bubbles were found and very well maybe the way this particular tank operates ? My other bottle didn't do that though and there is no face on the top of the coupler to put a wrench on so I could tighten it down. Just looked a little fishy that all.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I just dug up the information package that came with my trailer and it said the propane should be turned off in travel. Dave2.0 what do you think caused your propane bottles to go off? I wouldn't mind hearing a little more information on this, especially with my son strapped down 7 feet away from my bottles.

When I tested all my lines this spring I noticed one of my propane bottles valves didn't seem right but wasn't leaking. It appeared the threaded coupler on the valve was backing out when it was fully opened, the one that's screwed into the valve when turning the wing nut open, no bubbles were found and very well maybe the way this particular tank operates ? My other bottle didn't do that though and there is no face on the top of the coupler to put a wrench on so I could tighten it down. Just looked a little fishy that all.
Yes owners manual does say that. It's a suggestion. Ever read the manual on how to use a hammer? Stanley says "always use safety glasses when using your hammer".
It's not a law, nor will an insurance claim be denied if you don't.

Why did my tanks go off? Oh I dunno...rolling multiple times at 90 km/h might've had something to do with it.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes owners manual does say that. It's a suggestion. Ever read the manual on how to use a hammer? Stanley says "always use safety glasses when using your hammer".
It's not a law, nor will an insurance claim be denied if you don't.

Why did my tanks go off? Oh I dunno...rolling multiple times at 90 km/h might've had something to do with it.

Wow! That picture confirms my concerns a bit better for me and I'm glad you are here to explain. When doing my spring inspection I also took note on how my components are attached in the trailer, just a couple screws nailed in ply wood. Looked as though a collision of less than 30klms would easily bust them free. I mean they are attached at other points like the counter framing etc but geese, just barely attached.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

Here's the video link I found when searching on damaging a fridge while in transport. I didn't tell about those kind of damages how ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMTQWWoMSw&sns=em
Old 04-10-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Wow! That picture confirms my concerns a bit better for me and I'm glad you are here to explain. When doing my spring inspection I also took note on how my components are attached in the trailer, just a couple screws nailed in ply wood. Looked as though a collision of less than 30klms would easily bust them free. I mean they are attached at other points like the counter framing etc but geese, just barely attached.
The point is whether your lines are open or closed is irrelevant if you're in an accident things can ignite. Hell youve got 100 litres of fuel in a container travelling though a thin fuel line. Cant get much more dangerous than that. Having your lines closed is no safer than having them open.
In my case the reason the propane tanks went off was because the car exhaust caught the grass on fire which caught the car on fire which spread to the trailer and after about 15 minutes the flames blew up the propane tanks. The lines didnt catch fire at all.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 04-10-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Banned

I strap my generator in the back of my truck at the front and when not in use or just a rainy day my box topper makes a nice tent over it or I can close it and lock it up at night. Nothing is to say in a roll over it wouldn't catch fire, especially more dangerous as it empties, along with the trucks fuel tank. A near empty gas tank would be about the same type of explosion as a 50/50 mixture of propane and air. Regardless in any circumstance I'd rather deal with gasoline than propane and not to say the propane dangers are eliminated being turned off, I would just assume the chances of ignition go down substantially when they are turned off.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
One is required to meet transportation laws, the other is not.
Oh really? What is the difference between transport laws and this then:
It's required on any RV in Canada. It has to be inspected and certified:

Quote:
General Details
When a recreational vehicle equipped with gas applia
nces is re-sold it is recommended that the gas
system and appliances be inspected and certified by
a recreational vehicle shop that is licensed by the
BC Safety Authority. This recommendation applies
to private sales and commercial sales regardless of
the type of business making the sale.
Specific Details
Motor Vehicle Dealers registered with the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority (MVSA) are required to ensure that any used recreational vehicle offered for sale has had a recent Propane System Re-certification.
More information is available via this link on the MVSA’s website:
http://www.mdcbc.com/propane_safety.htm
This safety inspection will ensure that the gas system is safe, which
will help to prevent accidents such as explosions, fires or carbon monoxide poisoning. A re-certification includes a gas system leak test,
an examination of on-board appliances, and checks to ensure safe system
operation. The licensed shop will apply a decal to the vehicle indicating that the system has been re-certified and complete a checklist indicating the items inspected. This is required regardless of the vehicle’s original certification.
A recreational vehicle which is brought in for repair does not need to be certified and redecalled; however, the shop must record in its log and on
a new recreational vehicle form, what work was performed. The log and form are then signed off by the certified gasfitter who performed the work.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Banned

Here's a great example of a neutral mixer of acetylene and oxygen. If you could picture being trapped in a vehicle attached to a trailer on a way larger scale filled with this deadly mixture especially when a guy could possibly avoid it, why not. Each to their own I guess..

http://youtu.be/DU4-S1ViZeA
Old 04-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

Why don't one of you read the fridge manual and see what it says in there. I would but my manual is in the trailer out at the lake.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Why don't one of you read the fridge manual and see what it says in there. I would but my manual is in the trailer out at the lake.
Scroll up. Already done.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Banned

I did read the manual as I said a couple posts ago and it recommended leaving the propane off in travel.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I did read the manual as I said a couple posts ago and it recommended leaving the propane off in travel.
And mine said nothing about traveling and shutting off the propane. Only thing it said was to turn off the appliance during refueling.

Domestic fridge manual