Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM

I purchased a 20 guage BPS upland special from AO member Gorf a month back(a very knowledgable member by the way). I took it on a camping trip last week with the family. My son, and 13 year old nephew proceeded to kick my butt shooting clay pigeons with that little 20, I was using a 12 o/u. My wife and daughter are terrified of shotguns. They both tried it after alot of convincing, and they said it didn't kick at all. This with a solid butt plate, not a soft pad. I'm a believer in the 20 guage now, and will be looking for an o/u for myself. I did improve with the 12, but took a slight beating to acheive it.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 AM

They must have updated the Yildiz O/U 20 ga recently because everything I read people talked about a solid plastic butt plate they were looking to replace. But mine came stock with about a 1/2" thick rubber butt plate that should help with recoil even more... not that a 20 ga has a lot as you mentioned Leo.

It is coming with me tomorrow on its first grouse hunt and even if I don't see any grouse it might get tested on a magpie or 2 so will fill you in on my thoughts on it in a couple days.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
They must have updated the Yildiz O/U 20 ga recently because everything I read people talked about a solid plastic butt plate they were looking to replace. But mine came stock with about a 1/2" thick rubber butt plate that should help with recoil even more... not that a 20 ga has a lot as you mentioned Leo.

It is coming with me tomorrow on its first grouse hunt and even if I don't see any grouse it might get tested on a magpie or 2 so will fill you in on my thoughts on it in a couple days.
Did the Yildiz come with interchangable chokes?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM

my yildiz 20ga sxs came with a soft butt pad and interchangeable chokes.

Last edited by TheClash; 10-12-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Yes, it did. 5 screw in choke tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Did the Yildiz come with interchangable chokes?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM

12 is my choice. It does everything well with manageable recoil. nothing wrong with 20
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 PM

I shot mostly 20ga before steel shot came in, for all birds. I had a couple of 12 gauges, didn't shoot them a lot. I have had a 20ga O/U Valmet for close to 30 yrs, absolutely a favorite gun. But, couldn't shoot steel in it. I picked up a CZ Ringneck SXS in 20ga last year, just happened to get 2 Imp Mod chokes with it.
That gun just keeps making me happy this year. Smacking ducks at the same ranges as I was with the SBE. I am reeeeeaaallllyyy getting to like this gun.
There is some good steel ammo out there now. Not cheap, 1oz Fed premium and Hevimetal loads, but, at 4 of 6 shots last weekend and 5 of 7 today, I can't complain. Just straight pass shooting, no dekes today.
I was super impressed with the Fed #3's in it. They reached out and smacked those ducks today. For the upland birds and the Valmet I like Win Supreme #6 pheasant loads. For grouse I use 7-1/2 handloads.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM

I just pulled the the trigger on a 12ga OU Yildiz, I had though hard about going 20, but could not unchain myself from the 12.

I would call the recoil pad a under cooked hockey puck. I tried it today on a goose hunt, the recoil out of that gun with goose loads(kent 1 3/8) was very noticeable . Just about ripped my arm of trying to figure out how to get 2 fast shots off, I pulled the stock off of my shoulder just as I figured out you need to release the trigger between shots.

It took some getting use to, it's a little awkward in the layout blind, but I did buy it more for hunting upland over the pup. It carries nicely so next weekend I'll get a chance to try that too.

I am thinking I will be swapping out the recoil puck for a limb saver pad.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
The 12ga is like the 30-06 for rifles. There is a plethora of choices to shoot, from the heaviest slugs to the lightest target loads. Just go to a store and see the selection of 12ga vs. other shotgun gauges...then you decide.
I agree with Atex the choices for a 12g is far greater then a 20g
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Since I pretty much de-railed the OPs thread a bit ago I would add my 2 cents that if I was to buy one shotgun I would buy a 12 ga as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i find that my 20 works fone for all the upland birds i hunt...however i seem to have to increase my shot size when going to my 20 to have the same knock down effect i have with my 12...am i imagining this or do others find the same??
A given shot size in any gauge will have equal knockdown effect. |The only variable is the pattern density and size will be better with a larger load.i.e. 1.25 oz. vs. 1 oz. for example. It all depends on which load and choke you choose. Going to a larger shot size in 20 ga. will give you a less dense pattern. I usually go with a 3" 20 ga. to keep the pellet count up when using #5 or #4 shot for pheasants. As others have said, If you hit the bird with a proper load with the small gauges, the bird will come down just like with a 12 ga. Two of my favorite things about the 20 are the slimmer build to the gun and the smaller shells are nicer to carry. Just my $0.02.