Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Keep it going Oilers. Shoot those ducks good! You and me both Bessie
This coming from a FLAMES fan..becareful for what you wish
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 PM

Count me in on the Duck haters, UGH make me want to puke that team.
Draisaitl needs to learn to walk away from any scrum. Yeah he is a big dude but rough stuff is not his roll, and this team doesn't need him hurt. That's why plugs like Kassian are out there, if he gets hurt there is no loss.

Nice move on Draisaitl there signing that little girls jersey. I like seeing players doing things like that. Although seen a video of Kessler going in disguise one time and attend a game. Was pretty funny actually, he sat next to a young guy with his jersey on, and asked him who his fav player was. Kid said Kessler, so he asked for his hat and signed it and walked away, Kid was stunned when realized it was him. AS much as I liked him doing that, I still hate em. haha
Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
This coming from a FLAMES fan..becareful for what you wish
How am i going to get a oilers flames playoff series if u keep loosing 😂. I hate the ducks way way way more then the Oilers
Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Big win!

Nice for Talbot yo get the shut out!

He wuz dialled in eh?

So.. Russel comes back n allofasudden... people remember how to block shots?!?

2 points out of wildcard..... teal guppies up next... big game big game!

Go Oil!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post

How am i going to get a oilers flames playoff series if u keep loosing 😂. I hate the ducks way way way more then the Oilers
Old 01-06-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
So much hate for the Oilers, did Draisaitl dump your sister or something?

Just out of curiosity, who do you actually cheer for other than Satan?
He's a Kesler fan.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 PM

Default Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Big win!

Nice for Talbot yo get the shut out!

He wuz dialled in eh?

So.. Russel comes back n allofasudden... people remember how to block shots?!?

2 points out of wildcard..... teal guppies up next... big game big game!

Go Oil!
Talbot played great
Good win fou you guys.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
By casual observation.... you appear to be Dead Moose’s roommate.

Anyways.......

So! Imma thinkin big game here!

Morale is lower than a snakes belt buckle for my Mighty Oil and their faithful ( I ain’t down... I helped get another elk Friday an my training plan is on schedule so far so life’s good!) Gut check time for the committed. The ONE player I feel bad for is Nuge..... he’s been through this before, and he soldiers on.... his stats speak to his character.

Need a few other boys in the locker groom to take note.

I’d like to comment on a trend I’m noting. The blogosphere and media are sure as heck savage..... always has been. That’s gotta be a factor affecting the Oil over the last few years... I know ‘they get paid lots and yada yada... but Geeze!
The whole Jounal ‘player grade’ thing and such from other media types... it’s gotta affect a guys confidence.

For those of you keyboard warriors who are chomping at the bit to type ‘suck it up’...... you got zero free regarding this unless you’ve experienced it... sorry.

I think people still need to try to write on social media and other media with the mindset that they assume they are face to face in the conversation.

I got one example that keeps popping up in my head:

I’m closely related to an NHLer who played 20 seasons in the ‘90s and 2000’s.... good guy. He wore the A for more than one team. Voted several times on several teams as the fittest, most dedicated player on the team. He was never ever a vocal guy. He played along side a few of the greatest players to ever play. You’d like him.

Anyways, he did a stint in Montreal with the Habs..... and had a bad game. The media there savaged him. Never let it go. Rode him like a rented mule till finally he got traded.
The next team... well he quickly earned an assistant captain A again and had I think at least two decent playoff runs.

Only negative thing I heard him say about hockey was the Montreal media.

I think there’s a lesson to be learned there. For media types, sports fans ... and maybe us.

Say stuff like your saying it to the persons face.... and you’ll probably be a much more decent person....

Yea.... I’m sittin here with my thought procrastinating..I rambled.... sorry.
EXCELLENT post.

If you count out the insane Montreal media, I think the only fans that compare with Oilers fans are Riders fans. I happen to be one of both, and there's many a day I'm not proud of it, but at least we don't riot in the streets...

Nobody crows louder when they're winning, and nobody is quicker to turn on their team and eat their own than those two fan bases. It's game by game, minute by minute, one extreme to the other.

I wonder if any of the keyboard warriors ever think about what part they played over the years in how some of the young players developed, and the impact they have when it comes to signing and retaining free agents. It's a no win situation for a lot of these guys. They are ALWAYS on the clock, there's no hiding, and you're either the king of the world or pond scum, there seems to be no in between.

I kinda get the Flames guys in here trolling away (I don't really to be honest, is that seriously all you have to do with your time or the only way you can give yourself a little ego boost?), but the negativity from some of the Oilers fans is pretty mind boggling to me. Quite frankly, don't let the door hit you on the way out, and once you're out, stay out, you aren't welcome back...
Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
My ramblings aren’t neccisarily meant for u (funny u think it is though). How you talk in public is your concern, not much mine.

Beginning of the season, I figured we’d be in a position to almost be in a wildcard playoff spot. 1/2 way through the season and we’re about where I figured we’d be.

Our roster only works if it’s ALL healthy..... it was... and we squeaked out a bit of a streak.

We did above .500 with this roster at the first 10 games..... dat was pretty darned good considering the sched.

The evidence suggests that the roster could make it to the playoffs.... if a few things rolled the right way.

They haven’t. That’s life. That’s being realistic.

Edmonton’s key to success is develop via draft..... why?... cause Edmonton.... unfortunately it’s not that attractive a town to big $ NHLers. It just ain’t.

I’m sure the ICe District will help.... but it’s been a problem since before our 2006 run (see Prongers wife and her hate on for the town) and I just don’t think it’ll help much.

Chia should get a lot of credit for getting a better crop of almost NHL ready players.... but many of those guys are 2-3 years away from being an impact. He screwed up on Rhinehart for sure (I think that was a MacT idea personally). He also screwed up doing a panic pick with Pullijarvie... we shoulda stuck with Tkachuk (silly name).... but overall... he’s seriously improved that system and I believe this’ll pay future big time dividends...... IF we don’t raid the cupboard now to ‘just make a playoff appearance’.....

This years roster couldn’t make it passed the second round as is.

Some of his trades have helped a lot.... others..... meh. I think that the Lucic signing and the Dumba NOT signing at that time was a big problem right there.
It indicated to me that it’d take big $ to get big players to come here.... McJesus be damned. I sincerely believe that Chia’s or ANY gm for Edmonton has to deal with one hand tied behind his back. (Cept I still can’t figure out how the Peg got it done...)

I give us a 50% chance of making the plays offs. Place our long term gibbled defender Sekera on LTIR..... then talk buyout. Free up some $ that way.

Then gamble a second round to find a 2-3 defender that we can pay to stick around. Carolinas got some.... same with LA (if they are out of contention by end Feb).

Maybe trade Philly for Simmonds....? Talbot and our other third?

Right now I’d keep bringing up guys (D) for a cup of coffee... see how they pan out.

Try to stay in the fight.

Regain the dressing room somehow.... cause Luu is done... someone else’s gotta pick er up. There’s been negative in the room since Kass asked to leave. It’s tough to think team when we pay em millions).

I feel bad for Nuge..... he’s a lot like Smitty..... a real hockey hero.

More ramblings.........
Agreed again.

Lots of hating on the roster. The fact is, even with the current roster and the injuries, they're only 2 pts out of playoff spot. They are in exactly the same place as more than half the teams in the NHL, good, but not great or dominant.

They've proven that they can rattle of some impressive stretches of winning hockey, and they were looking great before losing the top half of their D corps. They've also proven they can be downright awful for stretches. Again, welcome to every team in the NHL minus about 5-6 teams. I agree, their chances of making it are probably 50/50 at best. They're going to have to go on another 7-8 game winning streak, preferably against the Pacific, and they're going to have to beat the teams below them in the standings that they should beat. If they can do that, steal the odd win from the top tier teams, and avoid another long losing streak, they'll be in. Soooo much easier said than done.

The talk of hiring a new GM and giving him 2-3 years to undo Chiarelli's "mess" is kind of comical. How long do you give a GM to undo a decade of "mess", or was that supposed to happen over night? There will be some very good FAs available this summer, but that's a really tough way to build if you're Edmonton. I agree on building through the draft. It's more important than ever in today's NHL, and it takes time.

Every hockey fan in the world wants their team to trade for a top pairing D man or a scoring winger, and every fan doesn't want to give up any of their top players or draft picks to do it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I'm all for making a move at the deadline, IF it makes sense long term and doesn't empty out the cupboard, but those deals are incredibly hard to make in the NHL, especially when you're trying to dump salary.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
. I feel sorry for a kid as young as McDavid, having to carry this much burden. He is so much fun to watch, and has so much talent . Just think how much better, he could be, playing with confidence, rather than despiration. He was far to young to be named captain, and I think this is going to hurt his career far more than help it. Could you imagine how good he could be on a contending team. This kid has way to much pressure on him.
Unless he was in Pittsburgh, or maybe Tampa/Washington, McDavid would still be the center of attention. It pretty much comes with the territory of being the best player in the game. The only way that spotlight is a little less bright is if he's playing in Florida or Arizona where nobody cares about hockey anyway.

I'm not sure what your experience is playing team sports, but in my experience, age is pretty irrelevant when it comes to leadership. Age and experience are great, but you lead by example, and your best players are always the ones that are relied on and looked up to. You can pin a C on a veteran guy (Ference) and pretend or try to take the pressure off, but the whole team knows who their MVP and real leader is, and the pressure is not going to go away. McDavid's been the captain of his team since he was 8 yrs old, it's nothing new to him. Nobody on the team works harder or competes harder and from what I've seen, he's handling the pressure at an all world level.

While I'm at it, the talk of McDavid "wanting out" is beyond ridiculous. Purely wishful thinking from the other 30 team's fans wildest fantasies.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
While I'm at it, the talk of McDavid "wanting out" is beyond ridiculous. Purely wishful thinking from the other 30 team's fans wildest fantasies.
It's purely ridiculous to you that arguably the best player in the world wants to play on better than the 21st team in the league or a team that's made the playoffs once in the last 12 years?!? That some serious Oiler's dedication right there.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:

I think his silence speaks volumes about it. Whats it going to take, Don Cherry bringing it up on HNIC?

However, they are on a California road trip perhaps he isn't aware of the things being said.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It's purely ridiculous to you that arguably the best player in the world wants to play on better than the 21st team in the league or a team that's made the playoffs once in the last 12 years?!? That some serious Oiler's dedication right there.
Yeah, it is.

Of course McDavid wants to win and be part of a championship caliber roster.
Every professional athlete wants to win, but unless your name is Lebron James or a few of the other NBA mercenaries who are all about the $$$ and me first attitudes, they want to do it with their team, in their town. You don't quit on your team, period. That loyalty and team first attitude is more true in the NHL than any other sport.

If you think that McDavid's, or any of these elite athlete's, first inclination is to want to quit on their team and skip out to another team, then I don't think you understand what makes these guys tick or how they think.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I think his silence speaks volumes about it. Whats it going to take, Don Cherry bringing it up on HNIC?

However, they are on a California road trip perhaps he isn't aware of the things being said.
So, he needs to state publicly that he doesn't want to leave because a bunch of keyboard warriors have speculated that he wants out? If he simply ignores the B.S. and doesn't say anything, then the conclusion is that he does want out?

Do I really need to explain the terribly faulty logic behind that?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it is.

Of course McDavid wants to win and be part of a championship caliber roster.
So you do agree, he does want out.

Quote:
Every professional athlete wants to win, but unless your name is Lebron James or a few of the other NBA mercenaries who are all about the $$$ and me first attitudes, they want to do it with their team, in their town. You don't quit on your team, period. That loyalty and team first attitude is more true in the NHL than any other sport.
Lebron was offered more than what LA offered, its not always all about the money.

Quote:
If you think that McDavid's, or any of these elite athlete's, first inclination is to want to quit on their team and skip out to another team, then I don't think you understand what makes these guys tick or how they think.
First inclination?!? He's been there 4 years now, we are well beyond "first inclination". When does he want out, 6 years, 8, play with the Oilers his entire career and maybe make the playoffs a handful of times? The Oilers are currently the 21st place team, have $50k in projected cap space, and, according to NHL.com, have two top 50 prospect, that being, Bouchard and Yamamoto. You yourself said you build through the draft and it takes time, so are we looking at 2-3 years, so McDavid plays in the NHL for 7 years, and makes the playoffs once?

It doesn't really matter what I think, funny enough he hasn't asked for my opinion, but as an Oiler fan, I'd think you've got to be thinking long term. When his contract expires, I believe he'll be 29. If they've only made the playoffs once or twice in the 11 years he's been here, you've gotta think he's gonna hit the road. Tavares is an excellent example.

Last edited by Trochu; 01-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
So, he needs to state publicly that he doesn't want to leave because a bunch of keyboard warriors have speculated that he wants out? If he simply ignores the B.S. and doesn't say anything, then the conclusion is that he does want out?

Do I really need to explain the terribly faulty logic behind that?
Sure, go ahead..I would love to hear how you are going to explain away the Elephant in the room.

His team gave up on him on Saturday night. Why on earth would he want to stay? You all saw the look on his face when he was drafted. Do you think that attitude has really changed?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Lebron was offered more than what LA offered, its not always all about the money.
This 100%.. Oh, and if you think it's about the money.. His NBA salary/contract is a small percentage of what he actually makes (his Nike deal is reportedly worth more than $1 billon).

Quote:
This I disagree with. They want to win, they have the desire and skill to win. They all dream they can "create" a legacy, some get the support from their teams/management, others don't.

IMHO, I think McDavid gives it another year, and if there isn't a reasonable sign of improvement, he's gone. I can see him staying in Canada, probably heading close to home (toronto?).
Old 01-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think that eventually a player's desire to win takes over.
Exhibit A: John Tavares
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 AM

The Oiler Cool aid is STRONG in the WalleyeDude household WOW. Must be killing him that his team is sitting 21st in the League, but the team from the city he lives in is currently 3rd..
Before I get accused of Trolling in this thread, to be clear I come here as a hockey fan and an Alberta hockey fan. Flames are best true but if there was threads on other teams I would go there also.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I think that eventually a player's desire to win takes over.
Exhibit A: John Tavares
Agree'd , I would think a player that has that much talent, will stay on a team like the Oilers if they don't improve, and go his entire career with no team success out of loyalty. Not like he will be asking for a trade this season but come contract signing time if things haven't improved, possibly bay see him wanting out..
Old 01-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Geez, Calgary fans sure want Mcdavid out of Edmonton, I wonder why. Heck its starting to sound like TSN on here, everybody wants to leave their current team and play for the leafs.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Sure, go ahead..I would love to hear how you are going to explain away the Elephant in the room.

His team gave up on him on Saturday night. Why on earth would he want to stay? You all saw the look on his face when he was drafted. Do you think that attitude has really changed?
I think Jamie is a poacher. I can't be sure of course, because I have no proof and no way of knowing his mind, but everything I'm seeing suggests it. He'll never get a trophy Elk legally, and he desperately wants one, so obviously he'll just go and poach one first chance he gets. Yep, Jamie's a poacher alright.

Now, how do you respond to that?

Do you ignore it? If you do, then clearly your silence equals agreement, you are poacher.

Do you come out and acknowledge, and then publicly deny, the unfounded rumours? If you do that, then it must be true, you must be a poacher, because where there's smoke there's fire, why else would you acknowledge it? You're just saying the right thing to get people off your back, but we all know you're a poacher, you're just waiting for your chance.

It's a no win situation, an elephant in a room of your creating. You can't prove a negative.

The smart money is the leave the keyboard warriors to it, and just stay out of it all together.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Geez, Calgary fans sure want Mcdavid out of Edmonton, I wonder why.
We actually don't, cause then we might have to play against him in the playoffs, which could be a scary thing indeed.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Edmonton Journal

Interesting article. I don't watch many Oiler's games and have only watched a few Flames games this season. From what I've seen, the officiating has been subpar. Lots of "blaming the refs" comments when we lose and someone mentions the obvious missed calls, but this is a rare instance when the team won and the refs are still getting called out.

Its difficult to see this and think there isn't something going on ("retaliation" for Hitchcock's comments regarding officiating, wanting to keep the score close to make it more interesting for the fans, etc.).
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Geez, Calgary fans sure want Mcdavid out of Edmonton, I wonder why.
Has nothing to do with Calgary vs Edmonton.. Has everything to do with McDavid wanting to WIN. Edmonton isn't willing (or able) to build a proper team around him for whatever reason ($/teammates/management/coaching/etc), he isn't going to sit around his whole career and wait.

These guys want to win, THAT is why they are the best of the best.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM

I'm not going to respond to everyone individually. I know it makes for a great talking point for the Flames fans (it's the only comment out of 3 long posts that got any attention whatsover). Dare to dream...

I agree 100% that McDavid wants the team around him to be better, of course he does. He wants to make the playoffs and win Stanley Cups. If they miss the playoffs every year between now and 2026, he'll be gone, and I won't blame him for an instant. Hell, I'll probably be cheering for him a la Ray Bourque.

My point is simple, he CHOSE to sign on the line with the Oilers for 8 years when he could have gone anywhere. He's in the first year of that commitment, and if you think McDavid is ready to quit and bail on the Oilers organization AT THIS POINT, you might be taking far too much advantage of our new marijuana laws. If my read on the kid is right, that would be the last thing on his mind, that is not his character at all. He's more likely to double or triple down and drag them there single handedly than to quit on them.

If Gretz can be traded, anyone can be traded, but if you think McDavid is going anywhere between now and the trade deadline in 2026, you're delusional.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Edmonton Journal

Interesting article. I don't watch many Oiler's games and have only watched a few Flames games this season. From what I've seen, the officiating has been subpar. Lots of "blaming the refs" comments when we lose and someone mentions the obvious missed calls, but this is a rare instance when the team won and the refs are still getting called out.

Its difficult to see this and think there isn't something going on ("retaliation" for Hitchcock's comments regarding officiating, wanting to keep the score close to make it more interesting for the fans, etc.).
I never watched that game or saw any high lights. What happened AFTER that stupid hit?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Edmonton Journal

I don't think it's "retaliation", it's something that goes on in every sport. The refs try to equal out the game, if that involves allowing the opposing team to hack/slash/whatever the star player to equal out the game, so be it. Remember the refs are paid by the NHL and are trying to keep the game entertaining. Getting the crowd riled up is part of that. It's all about the $. You'll notice that the stars typically don't get "slowed down" because of this, they usually just rise (even more) to the occasion.

The problem becomes when serious injuries are possible (which is what happened yesterday w/McDavid pushed from behind into the boards). That could've been career ending, yet wasn't even a minor, let alone more.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I think Jamie is a poacher. I can't be sure of course, because I have no proof and no way of knowing his mind, but everything I'm seeing suggests it. He'll never get a trophy Elk legally, and he desperately wants one, so obviously he'll just go and poach one first chance he gets. Yep, Jamie's a poacher alright.

Now, how do you respond to that?

Do you ignore it? If you do, then clearly your silence equals agreement, you are poacher.

Do you come out and acknowledge, and then publicly deny, the unfounded rumours? If you do that, then it must be true, you must be a poacher, because where there's smoke there's fire, why else would you acknowledge it? You're just saying the right thing to get people off your back, but we all know you're a poacher, you're just waiting for your chance.

It's a no win situation, an elephant in a room of your creating. You can't prove a negative.

The smart money is the leave the keyboard warriors to it, and just stay out of it all together.
I've heard some keyboard warriors have declared Jamie a poacher. As Jamie's hunting partner, I'd just like to state that in all the years I've been hunting with him I've never seen him so much as fail to pick up a spent casing. The idea that he is a poacher is utterly fantastical and ridiculous. Ever year a great hunter goes on a bit of a slump, these rumors come up, regardless the quarry, big game, small game, waterfowl, that the hunter is going to turn into a poacher to fill his quota. Can we just stop with the rumors. If anyone actually has any knowledge that Jamie is poaching, fine, lets see the evidence. If not, lets stop spreading rumors shall we. I expect to be hunting with Jamie for the rest of this season, the next, and so forth till our WIN's expire.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I've heard some keyboard warriors have declared Jamie a poacher. As Jamie's hunting partner, I'd just like to state that in all the years I've been hunting with him I've never seen him so much as fail to pick up a spent casing. The idea that he is a poacher is utterly fantastical and ridiculous. Ever year a great hunter goes on a bit of a slump, these rumors come up, regardless the quarry, big game, small game, waterfowl, that the hunter is going to turn into a poacher to fill his quota. Can we just stop with the rumors. If anyone actually has any knowledge that Jamie is poaching, fine, lets see the evidence. If not, lets stop spreading rumors shall we. I expect to be hunting with Jamie for the rest of this season, the next, will our WIN's expire.
Well obviously you're going to say that and cover for him, you guys are buddies and he gives you some game meat now and then. In fact, it kinda makes me wonder what you're hiding, you might be a poacher too.