Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Classic comment from a Canuck fan!!!! Poor guy's are so use to losing out so early in the playoffs they don't even know how many rounds there is!!! Just a tip Pogo there must be 4 stops on your flight to the championships not 3!! 3 stops doesnt even get you out of the west!!!

Best of luck Vancouver!!
What? What do you mean? What about the first round bye?

JK. I figured there'd be a sharp guy out there to point out the error in my routing. I just couldn't think off the top of my head who the 3rd western victim might be.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
AO Sponsor

YAYYY, JAMIE IS ON BOARD!!! Let's go Canucks!!! Great post above pogo...laughed pretty hard at first round bye.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Congrats and good luck to everyone's teams who have made 'the dance'. Enjoy the ride and here's a quick quirky fact for you 'Nuckleheads.

Montreal won the cup the year after hosting the Olympics.
Calgary won the cup the year after hosting the Olympics.
Vancouver..........?????????

Now if you'll excuse me, The Masters is coming on shortly.

Go Pens Go!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Congrats and good luck to everyone's teams who have made 'the dance'. Enjoy the ride and here's a quick quirky fact for you 'Nuckleheads.

Montreal won the cup the year after hosting the Olympics.
Calgary won the cup the year after hosting the Olympics.
Vancouver..........?????????

Now if you'll excuse me, The Masters is coming on shortly.

Go Pens Go!
and the islanders after the lake placid olympics.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM

I know it has probably happened, but just wondering if anyone has ever seen Brent Sutter smile???

Every time i see him i cant help but to think when he was a kid he seems like he would bite the head off his sisters doll's just to see her cry. lol...that is if he has a sister.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
I know it has probably happened, but just wondering if anyone has ever seen Brent Sutter smile???

Every time i see him i cant help but to think when he was a kid he seems like he would bite the head off his sisters doll's just to see her cry. lol...that is if he has a sister.
Compared to Darryl, Brent's a warm happy guy. I think I saw him crack a hint of a smile once. That earned him the nickname "Chuckles" at the Sutter homestead. I'm not sure how they raised 'em out on the farm but I figure they didn't cotton much to any shows of emotion. They are all dour and serious.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM

I believe Feaster will get the GM job, I'm ok with whatever direction he want's to take the team....It's been fun watching Tanguay and Iggy light it up this year, I thought Jokinen earned his keep this time around, Giordano ROCKS!!!!!, I think we should keep Sutter as coach as well, once Darrell left it looked like we were finally getting to see what a great coach he truely is... Go Canucks!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Please GWW stop posting. your ramblings make all flames fans look bad. You are like the old oiler fan HighOctane, not good for the rest of the fans.

My take, It was a good run but the obvious brutal start killed the flames. weird how it was the exact opposite of last season, great start poor finish. Our goals for this year were great, goals against was the problem.

My plan: Glenncross can go. re-sign tanguay. keep kipper and iggy. Possibly trade regher or sarich for another centermen. i think morrison is till under contract and we should keep him. backlund has shown good progress this season and should be a good second line centermen between jokinen and moss. Try to resign Karlson and give him at least 5 starts in the first 25 games. hopefully then some team will be desperate for a goalie and give up a decent 3rd line forward for him. Meanwhile the goalie of the future Joni Ortio will hopefully be ready to back up his protege after a good stint in Abbotsford. Graduate nemisz and Brodie from the minors. That lineup will be able to compete and with some other tinkering a contender will definetly be possible.

My take on the oilers: At the draft trade their high pick for a 3rd or 4th d-man. Take a spot a few down from their first overall pick and grab another defensmen. With no real standout d-man at the draft and there should be a decent future guy at the #5 or 6 spot. They should also look at trading one of their forwards (omark, paajarvi) for another d-man or a goalie. There are some talented guys but unless they fill in the holes (like chicago had to) there will be no championship in their future.
Although it makes me feel dirty I agree mostly with you on some points...especially on GWW holy...

Flames... need to get rid of some contracts..I believe you have 11 NTC on your roster..you need to ditch either Iggy or Kipper you need some picks because you have very little talent on the farm...all your beat writers say the same so its not just my opinion either. Glen X has 0 loyalty and will get an overpay ( NYR )

Oil..take #1 pick Ryan Neugant Hopkins from Red Deer this kid is amazing ..take LAs #1 pick a #2 pik and a roster player ( Gagner, Cogs etc ) and try to move into top 12 and grab a big Dman....

We are kinda on the same wavelength Mule just slightly diff approaches... the thing that worries me about your team is your up against the cap, tons of vets with NTC and a weak farm...ditching Reghere and Iggy would solve that IMO
Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Flames need some big changes, or next year will be much more of the same, a blank first 2 months then a sudden charge only to miss the playoffs....and GWW posting a bunch of blithering nonsense. UGH
Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 PM

It would be nice to see Iggy and Alex at the World Championships in a couple weeks...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Although it makes me feel dirty I agree mostly with you on some points...especially on GWW holy...

Flames... need to get rid of some contracts..I believe you have 11 NTC on your roster..you need to ditch either Iggy or Kipper you need some picks because you have very little talent on the farm...all your beat writers say the same so its not just my opinion either. Glen X has 0 loyalty and will get an overpay ( NYR )

Oil..take #1 pick Ryan Neugant Hopkins from Red Deer this kid is amazing ..take LAs #1 pick a #2 pik and a roster player ( Gagner, Cogs etc ) and try to move into top 12 and grab a big Dman....

We are kinda on the same wavelength Mule just slightly diff approaches... the thing that worries me about your team is your up against the cap, tons of vets with NTC and a weak farm...ditching Reghere and Iggy would solve that IMO
Nugent hopkins has a boatload of talent and a canoe full of strength. he is not nearly strong enough for the NHL and likely will not play a full year next season. He has wicked hands and great speed though. The fact that i don't see him as nhl ready would lead me to believe they would steer clear and go for a guy who may be able to jump into the lineup.

What are your thoughts on Dubnyk? I see him as a good backup but only so so as a starter in the future. Do you see him as championship calibre or should they go after someone else. Enroth out of Buffalo would be tempting to the oilers I would think.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Nugent hopkins has a boatload of talent and a canoe full of strength. he is not nearly strong enough for the NHL and likely will not play a full year next season. He has wicked hands and great speed though. The fact that i don't see him as nhl ready would lead me to believe they would steer clear and go for a guy who may be able to jump into the lineup.

What are your thoughts on Dubnyk? I see him as a good backup but only so so as a starter in the future. Do you see him as championship calibre or should they go after someone else. Enroth out of Buffalo would be tempting to the oilers I would think.
RNH will be the pick imo another year of Junior 10 games in the AHL then big club the next year same as the Oil did with Eberle...worked for him!! DD is a career back up again just my opinion..due to contracts I think its him and Khabi again next year although our GM and scouts have been watchn a goalie in the SEL ..... FASK ? Gonna be alot of goalies lookn for work next year methinks....
Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
RNH will be the pick imo another year of Junior 10 games in the AHL then big club the next year same as the Oil did with Eberle...worked for him!! DD is a career back up again just my opinion..due to contracts I think its him and Khabi again next year although our GM and scouts have been watchn a goalie in the SEL ..... FASK ? Gonna be alot of goalies lookn for work next year methinks....
agreed. With RNH over a year away why would the oilers draft him if they are looking to turn things around now? I think a lot of eyes will be on edm as the draft approaches just to see what they are going to do.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM

I'll tell you why. A 18 year old with that much tallent does not last the first round of the draft. You have a chance at getting a player like RNH you take it. Do you think every drafted player plays in the NHL right out of the WHL? Not to many players step from junior to the NHL and have much success.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
agreed. With RNH over a year away why would the oilers draft him if they are looking to turn things around now? I think a lot of eyes will be on edm as the draft approaches just to see what they are going to do.
The Oilers need to draft the best available talent. If they feel that is RNH then do not hesitate. They still have numerous holes to fill so they have many options. Successful drafting teams don't draft to fill holes the consistently draft the best player available at that pick. An abundance of prospects at one position is not a bad thing as they can always be moved in the future to fill holes. I myself am a big RNH supporter as he thinks the game at a very special level. He very well could be the first line center that they are looking for.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM

Quit your crying ,maybe you should run for coach mule crazy
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
into the sauce a little early today? Or maybe huffing to many autobody paint fumes before breakfast......
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The Oilers need to draft the best available talent. If they feel that is RNH then do not hesitate. They still have numerous holes to fill so they have many options. Successful drafting teams don't draft to fill holes the consistently draft the best player available at that pick. An abundance of prospects at one position is not a bad thing as they can always be moved in the future to fill holes. I myself am a big RNH supporter as he thinks the game at a very special level. He very well could be the first line center that they are looking for.
I totally agree that he is a special talent. His ability to stickhandle in a crowd or turn on the jets to blow by a guy is excellent. But with all the talk about a playoff push for them next year would it not be a good time to start plugging the holes? There leaky defence is the biggest hole of all, and if they hope to make that push they better do it this summer.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I totally agree that he is a special talent. His ability to stickhandle in a crowd or turn on the jets to blow by a guy is excellent. But with all the talk about a playoff push for them next year would it not be a good time to start plugging the holes? There leaky defence is the biggest hole of all, and if they hope to make that push they better do it this summer.
There is no 18 year old defenseman anywhere in the world that would help push them in to the playoffs next year. It will still be an up hill battle for them as is. If they were to draft Larsson it would take at least 5 to 7 years for him to reach his potential. All the same things being said about Larsson were said about Hedman, look where his development is. They need to pick the most skilled player available. There is no Ovechkin, Crosby or Hall in this years pool.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Comes down to the last game of the year for 8th in the west!!! I am pretty sure Canuck fans were very happy (I don't blame them) to see Anaheim jump up in the standings and now are cheering their brains out for Dallas!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Comes down to the last game of the year for 8th in the west!!! I am pretty sure Canuck fans were very happy (I don't blame them) to see Anaheim jump up in the standings and now are cheering their brains out for Dallas!!!
Goobsy, no matter what there's a lot of ways the Canucks can get psyched out, whether it's Chicago, Dallas, or whoever. With Chicago, it's the stigma. Dallas, Crow is berserk enough to send guys out to injure. Finishing first overall, look at San Jose and Detroit's history. Good a team as they are, it's going to be like it is for everybody else and boil down planetary alignment along with a few good bounces and whistles!

Say, wasn't that one of Jamie's salmon thrown onto the ice at the Saddledome last night?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Goobsy, no matter what there's a lot of ways the Canucks can get psyched out, whether it's Chicago, Dallas, or whoever. With Chicago, it's the stigma. Dallas, Crow is berserk enough to send guys out to injure. Finishing first overall, look at San Jose and Detroit's history. Good a team as they are, it's going to be like it is for everybody else and boil down planetary alignment along with a few good bounces and whistles!

Say, wasn't that one of Jamie's salmon thrown onto the ice at the Saddledome last night?
No way.. We catch MUCH bigger fish than that.

Though my Head guide is a RABID Canucks fan and would probably try and sneak a 50 pounder into the Arena. I think he will die a happy man if his Nucks win it all. I had to promise him a nice TV to watch the games on at the Lodge.

Jamie
Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
No way.. We catch MUCH bigger fish than that.

Though my Head guide is a RABID Canucks fan and would probably try and sneak a 50 pounder into the Arena. I think he will die a happy man if his Nucks win it all. I had to promise him a nice TV to watch the games on at the Lodge.

Jamie
Yeah, a big Halibut would have been more impressive.

You promised him a nice TV, eh? Gotcha!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM

I see in todays paper that Iggy finished 3rd in goals with 43 and 6th in points with 86.Heck of a season and all 82 games played...

In saying that it seems to me that scoring was down this year and alot of the big names struggled a bit..

Who is everyone picking to take the cup?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

Boston Bruins !!!

Last edited by bb356; 04-11-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM

X2 Nucks vs Bruins...Bruins to win
Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM

SJ vs bos. SJ to win it finally. Call me crazy, but I think it is their time. Vancouver to lose to SJ in the conference final in 5 games after they lose Salo, Bieksa, and Kesler to injuries.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM

WOOOOOO we LOST the draft but get #1 pick anyways.....ya NJ boy that sucks if you are a Sens fan as they drop out of top 5 because NJ goes from 8th to 4th lol
Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Going with Nucks and Boston in the final...

Lucic will be pretty hard to deal with for the Nucks Dmen still standing by that point...
Nucks in 6

Tags
ducks