Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of stillwater trout fishery would you prefer at your favourite lake?
C&R with the chance of catching trout up to 25" 112 42.75%
Limit of 1 under 18" with a good chance of fish over 22" 47 17.94%
Limit of 1 over 18" with a good chance of fish over 20" 38 14.50%
Limit of 3 any size with a good chance of fish over 16" 49 18.70%
Limit of 5 any size with a good chance of fish over 12" 16 6.11%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I TOTALLY understand why someone would dump a bunch of perch, pike or herbicide into a lake if that was done to a bunch of them and I sure wouldn't drop a dime on them if I found out who and why they did it.
Thanks.

You summed up your respect for our fisheries and wildlife resources in one great statement. It is all about you Davy...all about you...

The public owns the resources...not you personally.

I can't respond to your posts anymore...after strongly suggesting people should dump perch in a lake because they don't like regulations... Your posts have gotten to dark and helping you lead people towards vandalizing our lakes is reprehensible by acknowledging your future posts would make me feel like an accomplice. Anyone making that statement should be ashamed and they should apologize completely. Hiding behind any other language is a cop out.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
is there a Honey hole in every lake .. yes
You clearly missed another post by someone very knowledgeable in fisheries and should ask him single clear direct questions. It would make for interesting dialog.

Still you believe everything is so black and white in stocked trout lakes. Go find a honey hole in McLean Pond, Allen Bill or Mount Lorette 3 - 4 weeks after stocking. Try and find a fish for a kid to catch. Try and educate a family whose son or daughter can't see one and gives up to never fish again cause it is boring.

Any thoughts how to fix that?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Thanks.

You summed up your respect for our fisheries and wildlife resources in one great statement. It is all about you Davy...all about you...

The public owns the resources...not you personally.

I can't respond to your posts anymore...after strongly suggesting people should dump perch in a lake because they don't like regulations... Your posts have gotten to dark and helping you lead people towards vandalizing our lakes is reprehensible by acknowledging your future posts would make me feel like an accomplice. Anyone making that statement should be ashamed and they should apologize completely. Hiding behind any other language is a cop out.
X2!
Anyone advocating to illegally dump perch into a lake is on the same level as a poacher in my opinion and has no integrity , honour or character.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well I'll tell you what..........you lazy azzed URBAN fellas that want to join elitist clubs so you have the strength in numbers over the RURAL folk that aren't organized enough to fight you fellas off are all worthless pieces of...... The only reason that you'd come out into the country to try something like that is because the numbers are too high in the city to let you get away with it. But yeah, it's okay in the country cuz there aren't enough Dave's to B***h and complain about it so it's all good.

If you want to live in the city where the fishing is no good or you have to drive a bit to get to a lake with bigger fish in them then live with it. No one is forcing you to live there, are they? I'd love to have elk grazing in every field around but there aren't any here........so I have to drive to where they are, not somehow bring them to me!!!!

You figure yourself allot better than the fella that would contaminate a trout lake with perch but to railroad RURAL folk into "quality" lakes is okay. I TOTALLY understand why someone would dump a bunch of perch, pike or herbicide into a lake if that was done to a bunch of them and I sure wouldn't drop a dime on them if I found out who and why they did it. I'm not condoning it but I sure as hell understand it! And, if you want to take offence to that and go pout in the corner then do what you have to do!

If you want big fish within an hour of where you live and there aren't any then get your lazy butt where there are some or go to Safeway!

Get a grip man
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Its about improving the fisheries, nothing more nothing less.

An increase of the average size is just that. Not a good thing????

Kids will still catch fish if taught how to do so. And the older kids will have a blast!

Im from Southern Alberta (fishing for 50 years) and I think the trout fishing (lakes) is very poor and in sad shape! (ps - I can catch fish with the best of em).

Seen our walleye fishing go from excellent to crap to very good again do to changes in the regs. Trout fisheries can be better to!!!!!!!!!!

Common defence is the "kids" Yes they want to catch fish, this would insure they will be able to (if you show them how). If they catch one under the size Id bet they would be happy with a picture(if you explained why). Hmmmm, there might even be some education in it.

Most if not all of what DH,spec55,and tosh are saying, is doing nothing to improve things

oops got to go.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 AM

HunterDave, I am at a loss regarding the extent of your self righteousness and ignorance. Up until that post I was willing to discuss this issue with you, and respect that you had a different, yet valuable opinion. Now I think you are just an ignorant, selfish disgrace to the fishing community. Shame.

As for some individuals assertion that their local stocked lake is theirs, I ask who do you think pays for stocking all those fish in it? The cost of stocking is carried by all fishermen and tax payees in the province. EVERY ALBERTAN has as much right to access and influence management decisions on it. Sorry, but welcome to democracy. If you want to control the rights to manage fish and wildlife on your land go live in Europe.

I am getting real tired of the ignorant attitude of some people. Pull your heads out of your bums. Think about more then just you, and what you want.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
HunterDave, I am at a loss regarding the extent of your self righteousness and ignorance. Up until that post I was willing to discuss this issue with you, and respect that you had a different, yet valuable opinion. Now I think you are just an ignorant, selfish disgrace to the fishing community. Shame.

As for some individuals assertion that their local stocked lake is theirs, I ask who do you think pays for stocking all those fish in it? The cost of stocking is carried by all fishermen and tax payees in the province. EVERY ALBERTAN has as much right to access and influence management decisions on it. Sorry, but welcome to democracy. If you want to control the rights to manage fish and wildlife on your land go live in Europe.

I am getting real tired of the ignorant attitude of some people. Pull your heads out of your bums. Think about more then just you, and what you want.
Well, what you stated pretty much sums up what my thoughts are about some of you fellas. You figure that our stocked Alberta trout lakes are there to serve you URBAN fellas. Self righteous, ignorance, a disgrace to the fishing community and assertion that our stocked trout lakes is theirs summed up in one statement:

"Some of you want to know Specific Lakes; that shows the true nature of your NIMBY attitude. That attitude is why the only 2 "quality lakes" for trout in the south are an hour (or more) from the population centres they are supposed to serve."

Instead of creating ridiculous, imaginary lakes where everyone wants a "quality" fishery and one local fella doesn't want it, why not use a real lake?

I think that Police Lake is the perfect example of railroading something on some people that don't want it? As soon as I posted the information about the proposal to change Police from a "quality" fishery back to a regular stocked trout lake it triggered a letter writing campaign. Sundance even took great pride in proclaiming that he had sent his letter in and thanked me for posting the information.

Now here's a fella that complains that there is no quality fishing anywhere within an hour of where he lives in Calgary so I highly doubt that he fishes Police, or has ever even been there. Yet he is more than willing to vote against the proposal to revert back to a regularly stocked trout lake. So what's the logic? To skew the results in favour of keeping it a "quality" fishery in order to railroad his beliefs on the locals that actually fish the lake.

It's a good thing that SRD is doing the thinking for allot of you fellas. They know what the implications of taking P&T lakes away and turning them into "quality" fisheries is and that is why they have the policy of only experimenting in dead lakes and newly formed bodies of water.

If you fellas what to have temper tantrums every time vandalizing lakes is brought up then that is your prerogative. But my feeling is that SRD is very aware that that type of thing could be a very real problem and, I'm sure, something that they include in their decision making. Maybe some of you fellas should pull your heads out of your bums?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post

X2!
Anyone advocating to illegally dump perch into a lake is on the same level as a poacher in my opinion and has no integrity , honour or character.
Before you agree to something perhaps you should read all of my statement that Sundance conveniently left out.

"I'm not condoning it but I sure as hell understand it!"

For me, Railroading "quality" fisheries onto people is as bad as, or worse than, poachers and vandals. If you can rationalize that it's not then perhaps you are one of the people that wants to, or is doing, the railroading and you somehow justify doing it?

There's a reason that the question that I posted a number of times in big, bold, easy to see letters went unanswered. Now why do you think that is?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Before you agree to something perhaps you should read all of my statement that Sundance conveniently left out.

"I'm not condoning it but I sure as hell understand it!"

For me, Railroading "quality" fisheries onto people is as bad as, or worse than, poachers and vandals. If you can rationalize that it's not then perhaps you are one of the people that wants to, or is doing, the railroading and you somehow justify doing it?

There's a reason that the question that I posted a number of times in big, bold, easy to see letters went unanswered. Now why do you think that is?
Quote:
I TOTALLY understand why someone would dump a bunch of perch, pike or herbicide into a lake if that was done to a bunch of them and I sure wouldn't drop a dime on them if I found out who and why they did it. I'm not condoning it but I sure as hell understand it! And, if you want to take offence to that and go pout in the corner then do what you have to do!
As self righteous a statement as you could get. You are wearing two faces Dave. On one hand you said if someone did it you think it is fine. If you caught them your would not stop them or turn them in. Then you put your other face on and said you would not condone it. DUDE...YOUR FIRST SENTENCE CONDONES IT!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST APOLOGIZE ALREADY!!!!

You won't agree in principle to allow a few lakes to me managed differently...but you condone destroying them!!!!!

We won't ask you to apologize to anyone in a city that wants better fishing near a city....so let's call it give and take. You take back your horrible position that attacks every decent sportsman's fight against people destroying the resource.

DO IT!!!!!

Absolutely unbelievable...
Old 03-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Talking

Wow!
Just........Wow!
I've stayed outta this gongshow as long as I could; but, someone's gotta have
HunterDave's back!!!
Obviously, you fella's have no idea who you're messing with.
Well, I'm here to tell you...
HunterDave is a warlock from another dimension.
He has tiger blood & Adonis DNA.
Lastly, no matter how wrong he is...he is still "WINNING"!!!
You're welcome, Dave.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Get a grip man
I think that some of you fellas ought to be the ones getting a grip! I place POACHERS, VANDALS and RAILROADERS all in the same group of people with one no better than the other. They are all socially unacceptable. If you think that Railroading "quality" fisheries is okay as a means to achieve your goal then you are no better than POACHERS and VANDALS yourselves IMO.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
RAILROADERS
Entertaining Dave...

Railroading...asking F&W to study what lakes are out there and who uses them and then decide if various regulations are required from:

5 a day
3 a day under 16
1 over 20
2 a day
2 under 20

or any other ideas the system can come up with. Then F&W based upon the options and the user groups looks to implement regulation changes where they make sense. You define as railroading...cause why??? Cause you disagree and refuse to listen to anyone else and have some really bad ideas about believing people have a right to destroy a fishery if they don't like the regulations? What did you do to protest dropping the limits from 10 to 5?

Your idea of railroading is very entertaining. Here are some links to help you entertain with your railroading theme...:sHa_shake shout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDi7eHN6z6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7hDQXOvlOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOGY6...eature=related

What are them black round disc shaped things spitting out music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghd-xL5gAjc

and in honour of Dave's opinion on not turning in people that vandalize and destroy lakes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDfS9sulSHI

And for any kids reading this thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvSKC...eature=related

And my personal favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvwJREmJm0

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 03-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:06 PM

"This message is hidden because HunterDave is on your ignore list."

I have joked about using this function before, but until now I have never done it, because I can usually find something redeemable in everyone, well almost everyone.

Sundancefisher, if you get tired of reading the ignorant, offensive drivel spewing from the keyboard of the ignorant and offensive, you can find the ignore function under your user CP, under options - Edit Ignore List.

Try it, it is great.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I have joked about using this function before, but until now I have never done it, because I can usually find something redeemable in everyone, well almost everyone.

Sundancefisher, if you get tired of reading the ignorant, offensive drivel spewing from the keyboard of the ignorant and offensive, you can find the ignore function under your user CP, under options - Edit Ignore List.

Try it, it is great.
ROTFLMFO.

I will be soon. I find it hard to let anyone teach or misguide people that illegally stocking perch or pouring poison in a lake is an option. I know 99% of people know that fact. So long as any impressionable people reading this without seeing how poorly thought out doing such a grievous thing to a lake is...well...you can't be too careful.

In the meanwhile...every time he says I am powerful enough to railroad anyone...I can listen to a nice song and smile.

Sun

P.S. I tried railroading my wife into letting me out of chores in order to go ice fishing...I explained my power over people and ability to change the government with a single hopeful request and all the farmers quaking in their boots that I support fishing options...but......she did not buy it. So tomorrow has to do for fishing...off I go to catch the only fish I can cuz I can't catch bigguns...lowly little perch.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
As self righteous a statement as you could get. You are wearing two faces Dave. On one hand you said if someone did it you think it is fine. If you caught them your would not stop them or turn them in. Then you put your other face on and said you would not condone it. DUDE...YOUR FIRST SENTENCE CONDONES IT!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST APOLOGIZE ALREADY!!!!

You won't agree in principle to allow a few lakes to me managed differently...but you condone destroying them!!!!!

We won't ask you to apologize to anyone in a city that wants better fishing near a city....so let's call it give and take. You take back your horrible position that attacks every decent sportsman's fight against people destroying the resource.

DO IT!!!!!

Absolutely unbelievable...
Sundance, you continually demonstrate an inability to determine reality from what goes on in your own mind. If you take any statement that I make as condoning anything simply because I understand why someone would do it then that is a testament to your inability to interpret anything that anyone posts.

Hey, how about this genius..........If you believe that my posts are encouraging or condoning illegal activities, why not report those posts to the mods and let them determine if I am? Go ahead, drop a dime on me! I am reasonably certain that encouraging or condoning illegal activities would most definitely be against AO forum policy.

Do you think that the mods are asleep at the wheel here or what? I'm pretty sure that at least one mod has already read my posts and determined that they are not encouraging or condoning any illegal act whatsoever. In which case, that would mean that your interpretation is out to lunch. Like I've stated previously on several occasions, you have a very....uh hum...... interesting way of thinking.

Oh, and another thing, why are you using the word "we" in your posts instead of using the word "I". I know that you are wired a little differently than most people and you probably think that you are in some sort of position of authority, however, I think that perhaps this is something else that you are imagining.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 PM

I've been working on the railroad...all my live long days..."

LOL...

This is fun...
Old 03-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I think that some of you fellas ought to be the ones getting a grip! I place POACHERS, VANDALS and RAILROADERS all in the same group of people with one no better than the other. They are all socially unacceptable. If you think that Railroading "quality" fisheries is okay as a means to achieve your goal then you are no better than POACHERS and VANDALS yourselves IMO.
Yes dave, change is hard, but you need to understand you are not the only fisherman in the province and some of us want change! Lots of fisherman inhabit the city.

Welcome to our world muhahahaha!

And sides, sounds like you want to Railroad no change down our throat

Changes are needed, hop on board or get railroaded, your choice.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 PM

ya sundance, but can ya leap tall buildings in a single bound?
Old 03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Try it, it is great.
Well, that's one way of getting out of having to address any issues, protect your ego and keep yourself ignorant of anything outside of the little world that you create for yourself.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
ya sundance, but can ya leap tall buildings in a single bound?
LOL... Only if it is as substantial as Davey's option of change...
Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes dave, change is hard, but you need to understand you are not the only fisherman in the province and some of us want change! Lots of fisherman inhabit the city.

Welcome to our world muhahahaha!

And sides, sounds like you want to Railroad no change down our throat

Changes are needed, hop on board or get railroaded, your choice.
It's not about accepting change and I realize that I'm not the only angler in Alberta. THAT is what you fellas need to understand! That you are not the only anglers in Alberta. You fellas obviously have the numbers on the AO forum but in real life you do not. The majority of anglers do not want "quality" fisheries shoved down their throats. Hey, if the majority of anglers in a certain area want to change a lake to a "quality" fishery that's fine......so be it!

However, if you think that amassing all of the pro "quality" anglers across Alberta to team up against the locals that frequent that particular lake is the right way to conduct business..........

From the beginning of this thread I realized that this push for "quality" lakes was nothing more than a wet dream. It's nice to dream of having 90% of our trout lakes either "quality" of C&R, if that's what you want, but the reality of it is that the vast majority of anglers in the province simply do not want it. Reality might bite for some of you but it is what it is!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 PM

The perch are coming round the mountain when they come toot toot...

LOL
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM

It is like Charlie Brown's teacher. You have no idea what they are saying, and quite frankly, you don't give a hoot either.

This ignore function might just keep me from getting banned (Ha!).
Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

It must be a huge relief for these two fellas to not have to answer the questions presented to them.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

I can see these fellas now........Please Lord make it stop, make it stop!

I know....Ignore button........awwww, much better!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:20 PM

HunterDave has plied us with his wonderful logic for a while. Now stay tuned for the upcoming off, off, off, off, off Broadway play...written and produced and watched by Daveyboy.

"The Reality of Davey"

Set context and character history and background to key actors persona...

Quote:
I TOTALLY understand why someone would dump a bunch of perch, pike or herbicide into a lake if that was done to a bunch of them and I sure wouldn't drop a dime on them if I found out who and why they did it. I'm not condoning it but I sure as hell understand it! And, if you want to take offence to that and go pout in the corner then do what you have to do!

Vandal "Hey Davey...whatcha doing?"

Daveyboy "Just going fishing my good friend...what may pray tell are you doing?"

Scene sees Vandal with a bucket and a bad of poison.

Vandal "Well I am just having a big problem... I am not sure what to use...perch or herbicide to destroy this put and take fishery"

Daveyboy gets a defiant and angry look.

Daveyboy "Let me guess. Someone wants to make fishing better and asked all fishermen and determined to make your favorite lake 2 trout under 16 inches! That really steams me".

A scared Vandal looks to Daveyboy for reassurance.

Vandal "Daveyboy...ummm...stutter, stutter, gulp... Are you going to turn me in for killing and destroying this here put and take public trout lake?"

Daveboy turns his back to Vandal

Daveyboy "I can not condone what you are doing...therefore I am going to keep my back to you until your pail is empty and your bag is light as a feather"

Vandal looks happy.

Vandal "Thanks Daveyboy, you are the bestest every sportsman on Earth. Now lets leave this ruined lake and go catch those big trout that live everywhere but here now."

Smiles all round as the new best friends trot off into the sunset.

The End.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 03-12-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM

Anyway, Sun, what do you think of my proposal? I know it is simplistic, and of course there would be a fair number of exceptions, but overall - whatcha tink?

As I am sure you are aware (and most others with a brain) the proponents of changing the characteristics of some fisheries are not looking to make blanket changes to AB's fishing regulations, they just want some variety. However, I think that many of the fisheries have gone off the deep end when it comes to regulations. Hell, the Bow and Crow regs are very complex and do nothing to increase "access" for the general public (the ease with which people can pick up a license, rod, lures [or bait] read the regs and go fishing).

I am of the opinion that it is important that people are allowed to keep some fish; it keeps fishing grounded as a consumptive activity. Eating fish makes people think about the water they caught it in, and how they treat that water. Otherwise, fishing is just entertainment.

If anyone wants to see how entrenched attitudes and beliefs interact with fisheries management and conservation concerns, do some reading on the Atlantic Salmon fisheries in the UK. "The way things are done" is an Orthodox belief system that will get you punched out for even asking why things are done a certain way. It took the extirpation of numerous runs of fish before the government finally forced changes upon landowners and fishermen. Even still, with salmon stocks at a minute fraction of what they once were, most fisheries still expect all fishermen to kill any salmon they catch. They argue that catch and release does not work, that most fish die from being caught so they should not waste the resource by releasing fish.

However, in the south where many fisheries are more popular than can be supported, C&R regulation have been embraced and have been highly successful.

Does this contradict my assertion that harvesting fish is important? Somewhat. But it is just an example of how different regulations can be beneficial on different waters, for different reasons.

For those that are not aware, some other provinces (MB for sure, and I thing OT as well) have different licenses that residents (and non-res) can buy. They call them "Conservation Licenses" IIRC. Basically the conservation license allows for a reduced quota of fish, and I believe in some cases of a different size. This license is about half the cost of a regular license, because the number of fish required to be stocked to support these fishermen is a lot less. Basically you pay for what you get. I like this idea.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
HunterDave has plied us with his wonderful logic for a while. Now stay tuned for the upcoming off, off, off, off, off Broadway play...written and produced and watched by Daveyboy.

"The Reality of Davey"

Vandal "Hey Davey...whatcha doing?"

Daveyboy "Just going fishing my good friend...what may pray tell are you doing?"

Scene sees Vandal with a bucket and a bad of poison.

Vandal "Well I am just having a big problem... I am not sure what to use...perch or herbicide to destroy this put and take fishery"

Daveyboy gets a defiant and angry look.

Daveyboy "Let me guess. Someone wants to make fishing better and asked all fishermen and determined to make your favorite lake 2 trout under 16 inches! That really steams me".

A scared Vandal looks to Daveyboy for reassurance.

Vandal "Daveyboy...ummm...stutter, stutter, gulp... Are you going to turn me in for killing and destroying this here put and take public trout lake?"

Daveboy turns his back to Vandal

Daveyboy "I can not condone what you are doing...therefore I am going to keep my back to you until your pail is empty and your bag is light as a feather"

Vandal looks happy.

Vandal "Thanks Daveyboy, you are the bestest every sportsman on Earth. Now lets leave this ruined lake and go catch those big trout that live everywhere but here now."

Smiles all round as the new best friends trot off into the sunset.

The End.
This kid's just not wired right I tell ya.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Glad you are spending time responding to this thread when we can not even see what you are writing Dave. Maybe it will keep you away from some lake that you do not condone destroying.

HunterDave This user is on your Ignore List.

I know we have been talking about trout here, but what about Walleye and Pike as well? I know a lot of the walleye guys like how the fishing has become in the southern reservoirs, with huge increases in the numbers of fish caught. But is the blanket >50 or 55cm rule for Walleye working? I fish the St. Mary reservoir a bit, and can usually catch a fair number of Eyes in a day, but the vast majority are a couple cm short of legal. I am starting to think that a slot limit would be better in a couple of these reservoirs. Either 1 under 50cm, or 1 - 2 fish >30cm but <55cm. That way the big spawners are there and are producing fish with good growth genetics (not genetics to stunt them under 50cm - which is known to be happening at other lakes).
Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Pudel please do not expand the issue. (besides slots likely will not work as well as you would think) Please leave that for another thread.