Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Ever heard of a guy named Einstine???
I hear he was very good at math. Check out where the word “algebra” comes from.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Actually, same difference. Islam is Arabic. At the time of it's origins, Islam was about the most enlightened religion in the world, it hasn't aged well and never experienced the Reformation that transformed Christianity, without which we would be in the same boat.

https://architectureofcities.com/moorish-architecture

Grizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Lol.
Google tells me Islam has been around since about 600 AD. The Arabs, including their number system have been around for 3 or 4 thousand years??
Old 11-11-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Actually, same difference. Islam is Arabic. At the time of it's origins, Islam was about the most enlightened religion in the world, it hasn't aged well and never experienced the Reformation that transformed Christianity, without which we would be in the same boat.

https://architectureofcities.com/moorish-architecture

Grizz
Ever heard of arabs who are Christians? Most of arabs were christians before prophet Mohammad forcefully turned them into Islam and slaughtered those who were refusing…
Even in a 19-20 centuries, most of Afghanistan was predominately Buddhist and Lebanon were predominantly Christian countries….
Old 11-11-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I hear he was very good at math. Check out where the word “algebra” comes from.
Actually he was more a physist. Algebra comes from both Babalonian and Egyptian civilizations from at least 1900 to 2000 years ago. Long before Islam. We have gotten way off the topic of this thread. Bottom line hamas broke the cease fire....again! They are responsible for the carnage!!!
Old 11-11-2023, 10:57 PM

Default There's a Bad Moon On the Rise....

The Saudi Summit of Muslim states is very concerning. Iran attended, and the Saudi Prince greeted him, on Saudi soil.

This is the same Iran which has been funding and supplying the Rebels in Yemen that the Saudis are fighting.

Syria's notorious President also addressed the Delegates and condemned Israel, while HAMAS of course launched waves of rockets at Israel from GAZA in retaliation for shutting down their Hospital / Command Centers.

Killing Syria's own people gets a hall pass in this crowd.

It is the same Iran which gave attack drone capabilities to the Hothi Rebels which have attacked Saudi Aramco Refineries.

The Iranian Delegation stood shoulder to shoulder with the Muslim Delegates and the Saudi's decried the Hamas - Gaza conflict at the Summit demanding that Israel stop.

I am not a smart man. But I bet the Government in Israel and the US State Department have the same bad feeling on this that I do.

The only peaceful way out of this is if the Summit of Muslim States agrees to take all the Palestinians from Gaza and re settle all of them in their Countries.

Once Hamas is eliminated, maybe there can be peace, maybe, but not likely.

With so many Hamas operatives embedded in the general Palestinian population in South Gaza, and the general denial of the Palestinian people that the current state of affairs was created by their Hamas Government, it is obvious that the people of Gaza will not be allowed to stay in Israel. Hamas will never be eliminated.

To allow the Palestinian people to stay in Gaza with so many Hamas Operatives hidden and so many sympathizers in the general population, allowing Palestinians to remain in Gaza just invites a repeat of October 7th, but next time on a much larger and deadlier scale.

But that is not why Muslim enemies shake hands with each other in Saudi Arabia at their Summit. Much bigger plans are being made.

Drewski
Old 11-11-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Actually he was more a physist. Algebra comes from both Babalonian and Egyptian civilizations from at least 1900 to 2000 years ago. Long before Islam. We have gotten way off the topic of this thread. Bottom line hamas broke the cease fire....again! They are responsible for the carnage!!!
Yes, he was pretty good at math.

As for “algebra”:

The word "algebra" is derived from the Arabic word الجبر al-jabr, and this comes from the treatise written in the year 830 by the medieval Persian mathematician, Al-Khwārizmī, whose Arabic title, Kitāb al-muḫtaṣar fī ḥisāb al-ğabr wa-l-muqābala, can be translated as The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing. The treatise provided for the systematic solution of linear and quadratic equations.

And about the guy:

Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī (Arabic: محمد بن موسى الخوارزمي; c. 780 – c. 850), or al-Khwarizmi, was an Abbasid polymath from Khwarazm, who produced vastly influential works in mathematics, astronomy, and geography. Around 820 CE, he was appointed as the astronomer and head of the library of the House of Wisdom in Baghdad.[…]

Because he was the first to treat algebra as an independent discipline and introduced the methods of "reduction" and "balancing" (the transposition of subtracted terms to the other side of an equation, that is, the cancellation of like terms on opposite sides of the equation), he has been described as the father or founder of algebra.[…]

In the 12th century, Latin translations of his textbook on arithmetic (Algorithmo de Numero Indorum) which codified the various Indian numerals, introduced the decimal positional number system to the Western world. The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing, translated into Latin by Robert of Chester in 1145, was used until the sixteenth century as the principal mathematical text-book of European universities.

In addition to his best-known works, he revised Ptolemy's Geography, listing the longitudes and latitudes of various cities and localities. He further produced a set of astronomical tables and wrote about calendaric works, as well as the astrolabe and the sundial.He also made important contributions to trigonometry, producing accurate sine and cosine tables, and the first table of tangents.

Here is another example I remember from school, a dude whose contribution to medicine and surgery was simply enormous:

Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi, who is also known by his western moniker of “Albucasis.” He lived and worked in the Andalusia region of southern Spain from 936-1013, and like so great men and women of history, he was a product of the time and place in which he was raised.

At the heart of Andalusia was the great city of Córdoba, which in the 10th century was one of the world’s most populous cities and an international center of art, science, culture, and economic growth. At a time when the rest of Europe was struggling through the Dark Ages, the Islamic Golden Age was in full bloom, and Córdoba played a major role in that success. In fact, Córdoba was larger than London and Paris combined, was lined with citrus trees along its streets, and was even one of the first cities in the world with oil streetlights.

It was in this cultural milieu that the famed physician and surgeon, Albucasis, made his contributions to medicine and surgery.

Albucasis was born in a nearby village a few miles from Córdoba and spent his entire life in the region. While little information exists about his early life, we know that he became the court physician to the Andalusian ruler Hakam II. While that was surely a notable position, his great legacy was his 30-volume tome on medicine and surgery, Kitab al-Tasrif.

The Kitab al-Tasrif was a remarkable medical textbook replete with illustrations of surgical procedures and tools of the surgical trade, including many Albucasis had invented himself. Among those devices were new tools for examining the throat and ears, as well as a device to safely crush a kidney stone that had become lodged in the urethra.

His writing provided the first written description of hemophilia, the hereditary hemorrhagic disease, as well as the first description of ectopic pregnancy. Other sections described diseases, symptoms, and treatments for nearly 300 other conditions on topics in dentistry, surgical dermatology, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedics, pharmacology, and more.

Albucasis’ Kitab al-Tasrif proved to be a critical reference for physicians and surgeons for the next 500 years and beyond. The fact that fellow “father of surgery” Guy de Chauliac quoted Albucasis over 200 times says a great deal about the staying power of his guidance and the influence he had on the great European surgeons of the Middle Ages.

In the end, the great Albucasis’ insights and innovations, gleaned during over 50 years in the practice of medicine, served as a bridge between the ancient and modern and advanced the knowledge from the past into an educated foundation for the future.

For those wondering what the heck does Spain has to do with any of it, the entire region of Spain, Portugal, southern France were dominated by Muslims at the time.

I can provide other numerous examples, but none of it is relevant to the subject matter of this thread. Just like other rubbish like that talked about on social media and whatnot. It’s unhealthy and counterproductive noise. That discussion is completely meaningless because all people contributed to what we have and know today through out our long and violent history. It has nothing to do with religion or race and there is no reason to point out things like if Jewish/Christian/Muslim/etc this then that and whatever. I can tell a few of my personal thoughts on religion and many here won’t like most or any of it, so I generally keep it to myself unless someone is willing and is interested in having a constructive dialogue on the subject. Like I said, we can create various lists of the nonsense and they won’t be significantly different from one another, whether the list is about contributions to humanity, or unnecessary or otherwise violence against the same.
Old 11-12-2023, 12:17 AM

Drewski, the plan was executed very well by Hamas and those behind it. Israel is doing now exactly what they expected, the diplomacy achievements of decades past are being flushed down the drain as we are discussing this, the Arab/muslim world is uniting, tolerance of some is changing back to hate, Israel is going to be in more danger than ever in the past while, risk of terrorist attacks in the western world are sky high, antisemitism is on the rise, and so on. In fact, most of the world sees Israel as the aggressor now, the same people that saw Israel as the victim a month ago, and it isn’t rocket science to figure out why. Now it isn’t just Hamas publishing their rubbish numbers. For example:

Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken said on Friday that “far too many Palestinians have been killed” in Gaza, in the latest indication that the Biden administration is growing increasingly concerned about the civilian death toll under Israel’s bombardment and ground invasion.[…]

On Tuesday, the U.S. national security spokesman, John Kirby, told reporters, “There have been many thousands killed, and each one is a tragedy.” On Wednesday, Barbara Leaf, the assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs, told a House committee that U.S. officials thought the civilian casualties were “very high, frankly, and it could be that they’re even higher than are being cited.”

From: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/10/w...srael-war.html

The question there is civilian casualties higher than cited by whom? The only concrete number being cited around the world is the Gaza health authorities’ number of 11,000-12,000. When, what’s his name, one of the Israeli ministers was asked by a reporter the other day about how many Hamas combatants and terrorists have been killed so far, his response was that it is Hamas’ task to count those and that Israel isn’t going to release any numbers. Later the Israeli authorities said that their estimated number of killed so far is 20,000 and most of them are terrorists. The only part of this assessment that coincides with the US official assessment cited above is that “it could be that they (civilian casualties) are even higher than are being cited.”

At the same time:

Their deaths bring the toll of slain soldiers in Israel’s ground operation in the Gaza Strip to 42.

From: https://www.timesofisrael.com/livebl...northern-gaza/

This is nothing new in that part of the world, but some math is very easy: even if one takes the estimate of 10,000 civilians killed so far, it makes it about 230-240 civies per IDF soldier killed in action. This can be extrapolated to 1,272,590,000 civilians killed by the Germans during WW2, pretty much the remaining population of Ukraine being wiped out by the Russians using the (low) estimate (provided by our “intel”) of 100,000 Russian troops killed in Ukraine, or 23,000,000 civilians, or 12,500,000 civilians killed in Iraq vs the US troops killed in action. It is pretty obvious Huston (or Tel-Aviv, in this case) has a problem. Or… maybe this is a new measure of a super successful operation that is still ongoing?

So, while I fully support the cause, I personally strongly disagree with the means chosen to achieve the goal, which in itself is unachievable, imo.

And yes, I saw the link posted by ak77 (unless I am mistaken the handle) in regards to collateral damage and whatnot, if anyone was wondering.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:24 AM

Default When the Arabs have

no infidels to war against they kill each other.Islam is a religion of conquest and domination ,they do not tolerate other beliefs.Never have never will. Convert ,dhimmi or die. Treaties are a only convenient when they are losing only to buy time to rearm and try again....AKA...Hudna. When Mohamad died[poisoned] the nomadic tribesmen thought they could leave Islam.......wrong they were all butchered for shirk[leaving the faith]

Last edited by Pioneer2; 11-12-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:54 AM

Watching Remembrance Day from Ottawa and I loved how the left wing media kept trying to bait any Military person that they were interviewing to take sides with the conflict in Israel. I switched from CTV to Global and then finally to CBC (which I abhor) and they were all doing it. Thankfully the people being interviewed could see the end game and refused to answer or just avoided the question and referred to our conflicts WW1, WW2 etc.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Ever heard of arabs who are Christians? Most of arabs were christians before prophet Mohammad forcefully turned them into Islam and slaughtered those who were refusing…
Even in a 19-20 centuries, most of Afghanistan was predominately Buddhist and Lebanon were predominantly Christian countries….
I have, there are still enclaves of Christians, the ones in Lebanon being the most significant, that turned into a civil war not long ago, Israelis backed the Christians, not a good PR move in the end. I'm also aware of how close Europe came to being turned into a Muslim continent, it was a near thing and is ongoing. Hey, it's the religion of Peace.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-12-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
Watching Remembrance Day from Ottawa and I loved how the left wing media kept trying to bait any Military person that they were interviewing to take sides with the conflict in Israel. I switched from CTV to Global and then finally to CBC (which I abhor) and they were all doing it. Thankfully the people being interviewed could see the end game and refused to answer or just avoided the question and referred to our conflicts WW1, WW2 etc.
Great call out the re the Trudeau- Liberal funded media !!!!!!! .
Old 11-12-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I have, there are still enclaves of Christians, the ones in Lebanon being the most significant, that turned into a civil war not long ago, Israelis backed the Christians, not a good PR move in the end. I'm also aware of how close Europe came to being turned into a Muslim continent, it was a near thing and is ongoing. Hey, it's the religion of Peace.

Grizz
The Lebanon, the Paris of the Middle East, one of the most progressive and developed countries, the predominately Christian country before the “invited” peaceful Palestinians turned it into a sh*thole and started the genocide on christians. They just decide to slaughter them.
Israel was the only country that came to help them. They created a corridor thru which christians escaped. Escaped into Israel.
Another reason why not a single Arab Muslim country will let the Palestinians in.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:45 AM

Another shooting at the Montreal Jewish school last night….
So far it happened twice, at night time when nobody was inside… do we have to wait till it will happen during the daytime with kids running around?
Old 11-12-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
So far it happened twice, at night time when nobody was inside… do we have to wait till it will happen during the daytime with kids running around?
Nah Bill C-21 is going to take care of all of that
Old 11-12-2023, 06:37 PM

Default Greta Thunberg

https://www.foxnews.com/world/greta-...rael-hamas-war

Looks like Greta supports Hamas.

Turn a climate protest into a pro Palestinian rally.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-12-2023, 08:50 PM

Default Anything contraversial will do

She's nothing but an attention seeker
Old 11-13-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hilary Clinton silences the ceasefire celebrities on The View.

https://x.com/stevenchase/status/172...C7_6f7PAEy4E0A
Thank you, Hillary!
Old 11-13-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
She's nothing but an attention seeker
From being a Climatologist to a Political scientist in one sound bite.

Grizz

Old 11-13-2023, 09:59 PM

Discussion about what's-her-head juvenile wanna be climatologist classifies as a derail, back to regular programming.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-15-2023, 10:18 AM

Default Todays news headline

The turd needed 100 police officers to rescue him from dinner in Vancouver.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Anybody among these so-called peace advocates condemns these acts or this pro-Paletinians rally organizer (cricket, nada). The perpetrators of this are just a bunch of cowards targeting the innocent. If they are that tough, we can contribute to their free airfare to GAZA, where the real fighting is.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Anybody among these so-called peace advocates condemns these acts or this pro-Paletinians rally organizer (cricket, nada). The perpetrators of this are just a bunch of cowards targeting the innocent. If they are that tough, we can contribute to their free airfare to GAZA, where the real fighting is.
A couple of news outlets mentioned that story. Conservative leaders are speaking out. Even the Turd himself spoke. Surprise surprise, he also mentioned the all time high Islamophobia… I want to see those Muslims who need protection from the Jews here in Canada….
But I would totally support the idea of shipping those idiots to Gaza for a first hand experience….
Old 11-15-2023, 12:35 PM

Default They Don't Think Like You

https://youtu.be/ZbIfCNVJlKs
Old 11-15-2023, 12:44 PM

Default Historical Facts

https://youtu.be/YTwQh72XUZo
Old 11-15-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
He's right, it's not about Palestine, the end game is a Muslim world, fundamentalist as well.

Grizz

Old 11-16-2023, 07:31 AM

Default Trudeau swings towards pro-Palestine

Quote:
A couple of news outlets mentioned that story. Conservative leaders are speaking out. Even the Turd himself spoke. Surprise surprise, he also mentioned the all time high Islamophobia… I want to see those Muslims who need protection from the Jews here in Canada….
But I would totally support the idea of shipping those idiots to Gaza for a first hand experience….
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lib...-israel-stance

Liberal caucus supposedly is making him say stupid things now.

If this duffus Trudeau was in charge during WW2… we would not have the freedom we have today.

He is not the leader for a rough and tumble world. He is scared of his own shadow.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-16-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
That was great. Says a lot. War is terrible and I feel for innocent on all sides but the goal of Hamas being destroyed I do back. At what cost is the tough part.....
Propaganda has always been a part of war but in 2023 never like it is today.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lib...-israel-stance

Liberal caucus supposedly is making him say stupid things now.

If this duffus Trudeau was in charge during WW2… we would not have the freedom we have today.

He is not the leader for a rough and tumble world. He is scared of his own shadow.
Of course they are panicking- look how many voters they can potentially lose if they stand with Israel! There is only a handful of Jews here compare to millions of Hamas sympathizers….
Old 11-17-2023, 12:39 PM

Good Analysis from Foreign Affairs comparing the Israeli incursion into Lebanon in 1982.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/israe...k%20-%20112017
Old 11-17-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN offroader View Post
Good Analysis from Foreign Affairs comparing the Israeli incursion into Lebanon in 1982.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/israe...k%20-%20112017
is this another lefty news rag? looks like heavily one sided from what i see?