Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Why not go with a savage or stevens for each of them? That way they would each have there own rifle in the correct hand for them should pretty much be the same price for two as the one TC.......and they can go out together!!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 AM

Default Ruger #1

I have a Ruger #1 in the varmit model in a quarter bore. It's got the target bases and a bull barrel. It' a bit heavy for a wife or kid but this thing is a tack driver. Also the fit and finish is excellent.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM

I really like the ruger number 1 it is a really nice rifle. My hunting partner is a southpaw and he shoots a ruger number 1 quite often, but he can also cycle a right handed bolt action faster than I can while keeping it on target, so I dont see a right hand bolt action being a hinderance for a left handed shooter.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

I think a lever action would be the best for both of them. I know a few lefties who shoot lever actions because they were the cheaper option over a left hand rifle, and the one guy got his son into shooting it too, and it was not an issue, as his son is R/H.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Smile

My wife finally decided to learn to hunt for herself. She already had things like camo and hiking gear, but I was unsure of getting a gun just for her at this time cause wasn't sure if it was her cup of cocoa. The real problem was she was a southpaw. Lucked out found a used Ruger #1A in 7x57 cool little gun. Told her only one shot is really required. She took that to heart and slayed a whitey and cow elk the first season. We ate well that winter. Found a Rem 700 LH mtn in 30-06 and now I get to use the 7mm when ever I want. Great tree stand gun.