Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 PM

I demand a picture of subject mother before I comment. If no picture is available, then a simple "Hot"with details or "Not Hot" may suffice.......
Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 PM

Good opportunity to describe what a Redneck you really are. Get out of here and take your Fn kid with you. Nosey neighbor and you showed her where your guns are kept. She'll tell somebody and public knowledge before you know. Next thing, people will be whispering about you, Not Good.

Grizz
Old 06-05-2016, 05:24 PM

Yep, not worried about the kid breakin his neck, but what you might have in your gun safe....

Wow....
Old 06-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Banned

My wife's son from a previous marriage said the same thing. I asked him if he had any training besides what he received with the Signals Sqn reserves (he quit after 6 months). I then told him that his mom is better qualified than he is as she holds a restricted PAL. Then I asked him if he took a PAL course he said no. I asked him what makes you think you can inspect my storage? He didn't answer and he didn't see my lockup either. But you did the right thing.

Last edited by trooper; 06-05-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 PM

Since you were trying to be nice to a new neighbor if you get a chance take it one step further and ask her if she has had bad experiences with firearms. Could be a tragic story here or maybe not but it does not hurt to ask
Old 06-05-2016, 05:54 PM

Many good points already made.

Your guns are notnher business. Maybe she could supply a criminal record check before you acknowledge ownership of valuables such as firearms. LOL

Yeah. Trampolines have far worse stats than guns.

Thats an odd situation for sure
Old 06-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned

You must appreciate a parent bing concerned about where a child is to go, BUT what she did was IMO pretty darned nosy ! No I would not have let her see, I would have told her all was well . I had a neighbor that when he first moved in was always saying stuff . Like I bet you would shoot me IF and so on JUST because he knew I had firearms , HE is the one that ended up losing jobs because of temper tantrums and also losing his wife and the whole shot! Typical hot head! What he must have said behind my back would be interesting to know. I have NEVER been or had any trouble ! Morons!
Old 06-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Banned

No I don't think it is normal. Someone has to obtain security clearance for them to enter your castle. She would have got a hit the road from me.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:51 PM

While I wouldn't have shown her where I get my guns, I do understand where she is coming from to a degree.

She doesn't really know you from Adam, but she should be able to tell if she wants her son hanging around your place by the general appearance and upkeep. But some mothers are just nosey and over protective.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:04 PM

I can relate to the protective parent aspect, I know every parent here who has school age kids gets the picture on allergy-free foods being brought to school for lunch. When Caber junior has classmates over to play or for his birthday it's all about the peanut free this and that. I think there might be more than one classmate with peanut issues but one is militant as is her annoying mother; to top things off the girls Dad is a lawyer so that makes one worry. For juniors last birthday Mrs Caber was even emailing and/or phoning manufacturers for her baking ingredients just to be sure! I joke to my wife about going to the school and rubbing peanut butter on all the doorknobs, etc to 'cull the herd' so that peanuts can again roam free, but obviously thats in jest. It needs to be an airborne dispersant like in a Bond movie

Those kinds of things are sensible, this woman has wandered away from reasonable territory and has staked her claim in overbearing-ville.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:10 PM

As an unbiased non hunter that has no issues with people owning guns my opinion is that it sounds like a good parent doing her job.

Lots of people do wrongfully leave guns laying around where they shouldn't and their kids might know not to touch them but kids that know nothing about them make mistakes and there are kids shot and killed in situations like that regularly.

Thankfully all the gun laws have been doing their job and situations like that are declining but good on the mother for thinking about it imo.

I do always get a crack out of you hunter types on here being paranoid about things like this. Not all people have mindsets and experience with firearms etc like you guys do, in fact the majority don't...
Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Send the kid home with pack of lawn darts...

Just kidding it's not the kids fault, poor bugger. His mom is gonna complicate his life....

I wouldn't mind a curious new neighbour asking questions , but geeze. Priorities . " Hi strange man, can my kid play in your back yard for awhile ? But only if you lock up your guns right. Let me see.!" Weird gal that one

Last edited by Flight01; 06-05-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Lots of people do wrongfully leave guns laying around where they shouldn't
That's quite the assumption to make, care to explain it?
Old 06-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
As an unbiased non hunter that has no issues with people owning guns my opinion is that it sounds like a good parent doing her job.

Lots of people do wrongfully leave guns laying around where they shouldn't and their kids might know not to touch them but kids that know nothing about them make mistakes and there are kids shot and killed in situations like that regularly.

Thankfully all the gun laws have been doing their job and situations like that are declining but good on the mother for thinking about it imo.

I do always get a crack out of you hunter types on here being paranoid about things like this. Not all people have mindsets and experience with firearms etc like you guys do, in fact the majority don't...
That's funny, because I always get a crack out of you non-hunter types being paranoid of guns.

I'd be interested in seeing a statistical list of "things" a parent should actually be concerned about. I'm guessing accidental gun death is pretty low on the list. Interesting that she didn't ask to see how and where he had his Drano, kitchen knives and lawnmower gas stored.

The public has been fooled by low intelligence "journalism" and bought into the irrational fear of guns.

http://www.cps.ca/documents/position...ury-prevention

Leading causes of death and injury requiring hospital visit. MotorVehicle crashes, poisoning, drowning, falls, fire, being struck by/against an obstacle. Guns don't even register.

May as well be asking to check under the bed for the bogeyman.

Last edited by rugatika; 06-05-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:26 PM

Usual AO exaggeration in the comments. She had a concern for whatever reason. You went above and beyond in assuring her that her fears were unnecessary. Not normal but who is normal?

Next time just say you're a bowhunter
Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
there are kids shot and killed in situations like that regularly.
If this fits your definition of regular, you need to increase your fibre intake.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 PM

That is plain ass weird. I have a very low tolerance for self-righteous twats.

I would have told her that I follow all applicable laws and would not let her anywhere near my property again.

Sucks but I would want to have nothing to do with them going forward - they will likely be trouble.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Banned

I would have told her that if I owned guns I of course would store them properly...that's all.
I would also point out that about 100x as many children die due to the household cleaners under her kitchen sink as do improperly stored firearms.
Ask her if she wants to check out your kitchen as well.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 PM

Default parents is this normal

Sounds like a modern day preppy parent, with a bubble wrapped kid. I would tell her my guns are properly stored, and no, she cannot look at them. Tell her all the animal antlers she sees were taken with a bow. If she doesn't like it, then don't come over. It's as simple as that.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Banned

Several posts gave the correct response.

Unfortunately my response will never be correct.

#4,#21,#27,#29.#32.#41,#44.#45. Seem reasonable.

I support #45.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 PM

Self-righteous obnoxious twat: "You must have guns, I'd like to inspect that they're properly stored because I once saw something on Rosie O'Donnell about people like you .....

Firearm Owner: "You seem to be under the influence of a hallucinogen, before I let you in my home I'd like to inspect your home for the presence of a meth lab, as well as your medicine chests and night-stand drawers to look for things that are none of my business"
Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 PM

I don't have kids and maybe when I do I'll change my mind bit if some lady came to my house and asked if she could see how my guns were secured she could take little tommy and kick rocks back down street to there "safe" house
Old 06-05-2016, 09:32 PM

I look at this as a good teaching moment for the mom. She obviously doesn't know the storage laws in Canada. The OP could have enlightened her of the storage laws for firearms, and re-assured her they are being followed. We need to educate the people who are on the fence about firearms if we want to keep our firearms long term. In saying that I wouldn't have shown her my storage locker or where they're kept.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Banned

I'm glad this thread was posted and now that I've cooled my jets a bit I've had some time to do some rational thinking on this subject so here's what I will do if I'm ever faced with it.

Obviously this mother feels insecure about something she does not understand and I think this is part of the problem with people's fear of guns these days, they know nothing about them or what obtaining a firearms licence requires. Because I don't want to hold my son back just because someone has some insecurities that his father owns firearms I would invite her in for coffee.

Okay then you wanted to make sure your child is safe in my home, I hope you have an extra hour because you will walk out of my home with a different attitude when I am done explaining and showing you some things. In the end I hope she would have a better understanding on what a responsible parent that owns firearms does to secure them. My son has never even seen one of my guns before, although he will in time. Just not yet.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 PM

Default Guns

I'd have never thought to ask that question but when I was in grade three, two boys were plays at the neighbours. There was a loaded shotgun and one shot the other, we've all heard a similar story.

Not everyone does store firearms like they should and her asking wouldn't bug me. I wouldn't show her nor would I tell her what I own, that's none of her business however ensuring a safe place for her kid IS her business.

If she ever displayed an anti hunting stance to me the kid wouldn't be invited over again.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
I demand a picture of subject mother before I comment. If no picture is available, then a simple "Hot"with details or "Not Hot" may suffice.......
Unfotunatley, not hot, lol....other than this thing today, she has always been quite pleasant, and i didnt get the feeling that this was anymore than an over-protective parent type of situation (hence the last statement in my original post). Didnt seem to me that she was anti gun per se, but more just overly concerned for her kid. She can chat to all the other neighbors all she wants, in our cul-de-sac there are 3 other hunters, and everyone else brings their kids over to see the animals if they happen to see any of us hunters unloading an elk or whatever. If she is anti hunting and anti gun, shes got a heck of an eye opener about her new neighborhood come Sept, lol.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Kids get hit by cars too. did she ask for your driver's transcript. We know that runaway cars kill kids regularly. A lot of people drive unsafely.

"Lots of people do wrongfully leave guns laying around where they shouldn't and their kids might know not to touch them but kids that know nothing about them make mistakes and there are kids shot and killed in situations like that regularly. "

Really?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
If this fits your definition of regular, you need to increase your fibre intake.
Literally thousands of firearm related incidents by children in the US every year.

https://www.verywell.com/gun-and-sho...idents-2634213

And here is one closer to home last year...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2184514/ch...ntal-shooting/

I said regularly happen, not often happen.

You guys are paranoid and hilarious. What does it hurt to prove that your guns are locked up? OP doesn't even make it clear whether it was absolutely necessary to even show her, for all we know he did it to prove the point but if he politely stated his firearms are all properly locked up so the children can't get at them then she might have been fine with that answer.

Lots of people don't properly store guns but the majority are getting better. You guys are the hard cores that take things like this for granted. Same reason you guys get mad when you see quaders/idiots ruining hunting access etc. The fact of the matter is even among gun owners and hunters you guys on here are the minority, lots of people don't handle their guns properly, children die or are injured every year and the mother although perhaps out of the ordinary asked a smart question to ensure her child was safe nothing more.

The stranger thing to me is that the OP thought this so outlandish and strange he had to ask about it lol. That just goes to show how different your guys point of view is from the majority of us that don't own guns. And no I am not against guns in any way shape or form, my family hunts I just don't feel the need and am too busy fishing lol.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:23 PM

I grew up with no exposure to guns or hunting, when I started in my 30's my mom was concerned. She didn't know what responsible gun ownership was, and feared what she didn't know. She has come around now.
I'm impressed that she came over to meet you before allowing her kid to play with strangers; I do that with my kids friends but it doesn't seem to be common that's for sure.
I would have assured her that your storage is safe and secure without showing her. You might have been her first exposure to a gun owner, sounds like you were a good ambassador.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:28 PM

Have been around guns all my life I don't see anything wrong with her asking it did not sound like she was an anti gun person just a concerned parent. But some of the responses will definitely fuel the anti's nice going guys.

Mack