Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 AM

Outstanding good job...thanks for taking the time!

Man a tire with all the steel belts would be like or worse than a steel drum...lol

I think you proved they are tuff even if one broke in extreme testing in most case's personally after I shot an arrow hunting its retired to other shooting such a s3D orr target [I did use one arrow with new blades on three animals thou]

But a vaid point if shot once hit or miss it may be wise to retire a spinning insert to target or 3D..

IMHO it would be well worth the payoff to eliminate wind planeing regardless on how good a bow is tuned...

Neil
Old 03-31-2016, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info....very interesting
Old 03-31-2016, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the writing and testing.
It seems that the KISS method shine true in this case also .......too much can go wrong.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Outstanding good job...thanks for taking the time!

Man a tire with all the steel belts would be like or worse than a steel drum...lol

I think you proved they are tuff even if one broke in extreme testing in most case's personally after I shot an arrow hunting its retired to other shooting such a s3D orr target [I did use one arrow with new blades on three animals thou]

But a vaid point if shot once hit or miss it may be wise to retire a spinning insert to target or 3D..

IMHO it would be well worth the payoff to eliminate wind planeing regardless on how good a bow is tuned...

Neil
That's a very good point! I never really thought about that. This test was pretty extreme. And even though the first insert broke the arrow did pass through the tire about the same as the one that didn't break. You may be right, one could hunt with these but if you miss or use one of the inserts do not reuse them for a hunt. I'll do some pondering and maybe I will let one fly at my boar this April. I mean I already have 5 spinners and 5 newly sharpened G5's in my quiver.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 AM

An update ...recieved my horde of the Ethics spinning inserts...Downside is cost ..with our dollar they are quite expensive...

Upon close inspection it is evident they are well made and precise, I like the CX inserts on CX arrows as with the design we have little or no issues with CX inserts even becoming loose or moving...even when pulling out of wood [it happpens...lol]
The glue in section of Ethics insert is designed almost exactally like the CX insert...

In a package of a hundred picking at random several dozen they all spun flawlessly and smooth...they are easy to install..
We/I use an ASD with any insert...but I would recommend using a ASD [Arrow Squaring Device] with these inserts for best results,

With their design, the spinning working section is totally enclosed in the arrow shaft so I dont see dirt, dust or debris being an issue...with its design...it would also take a hard angle force to damage them so they wont spin.

Presently installing some on a new dozen arrows...plus a few extra for practise and testing...

But recieved a call from a friend that has an issue with wind planning with his broadheads...perfect test...

Ethis also sent me some trial spinning insert 100gr field point combo, neat but not sure the advantage for target...

Installing one on one of my hunting arrows, I saw a beneficial result instantly..shooting a normal arrow and insert with 125Gr target tip into paper my bow had a slight left tear in paper with paper tune...the spinning insert...same arrow and tfield point resulted in a perfect tear...

NOW...I believe that had nothing to do with spinning insert ...rather weight of that spinning insert....my standard CX insert weighs 11gr the Ethics spinning insert weighs 35 gr... [also have the 55gr ] which resulted in instant "weight forward" and FOC which proved perfect for my set up

Stay tuned for further tests and reviews with broadheads...

We bowhunters need every advantage we can muster, I believe these spinning inserts will be an assest and will be on my hunting arrows...

Neil

BTW Ethics stated that they are looking for ProStaff shooters...
Old 04-21-2016, 07:55 PM

Default Spinning insert

Being a longbow hunter and seeing all the crap y'all are buying I'd have to say....buy a gun and be done with it. I mean really, where will it all end ?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Being a longbow hunter and seeing all the crap y'all are buying I'd have to say....buy a gun and be done with it. I mean really, where will it all end ?
Thanks for the great insight O great longbow hunter...Sheeesh...its a friggin insert not a super sonic air bow!!!

Neil
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Thanks for the great insight O great longbow hunter...Sheeesh...its a friggin insert not a super sonic air bow!!!

Neil
I was thinking the same thing...
Old 04-22-2016, 07:05 PM

Default Hunting

Spinning inserts, expandable broadheads, lighted sights, luminocks..it goes on and on. You guys are easily parted from your money
Old 04-22-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Spinning inserts, expandable broadheads, lighted sights, luminocks..it goes on and on. You guys are easily parted from your money
I'll admit it. I do enjoy spending my hard earned money on my passions. I also have a self bow. I didn't buy this one though. No funky firbreglass limbs or arrows made from man made materials either. I didn't want to breaknow tradition with it so I built it by myself starting from a hickory stave. It draws around 55# at 28". It shoots hickory arrows fletched with white turkey feathers. To each there own. I don't judge others but i guess thats what sets me apart from the other outdoorsmen. Somedays I like to shoot like my fore father's did in the past. And some days I like to be a madman and let carbon arrows scream! lit up nocks and all!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Absolutely... Except for the fact that the hunting seasons are completely different and the range at which you can harvest an animal is much shorter... not to mention all the extra scouting and planning you need to do to be successful. But other than that you couldn't be more right!

You like hunting with a longbow... That's great. Hats off to you. It's certainly very challenging. Not my cup of tea. I'll take a mechanical advantage any day. Where will it end? When they stop making cool **** that increases my chances of making a clean kill on an animal... So not likely anytime soon!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 PM

After a life time of trial and error, change can be a hard thing to except.
The world has changed since we were kids.
Some times not always but some times you have to step back and look at
it.

Just to get yourself in the right mind set.
Sometimes change is good, but hard to see it at the time.

One thing I know is I trust in the words of people I know.
They haven't steered me wrong yet and I've learned a lot.

Thank you all, you know who you are.