Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
No need to say sorry at all. I didnt know that it is illegal to follow your dog blindly through the woods off leash, or on leash wouldnt have mattered any. Woulda followed her regardless.
Nothing at all wrong with following your dog, glad you had a good day but posting your dog treeing animals and not being under control from harassing wildlife on a public forum isn't the best thing to do!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM

Good for you getting out Winger. Looks like a few guys got stuck inside all winter
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
No need to say sorry at all. I didnt know that it is illegal to follow your dog blindly through the woods off leash, or on leash wouldnt have mattered any. Woulda followed her regardless.
All the boys fighting for pack dogs to be allowed in AB sure appreciate your attitude.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Anyways please lets get back to the BEARS my only appology for what we did (me and the dog) is for getting the thread derailed and its to the OP.

Im hoping to get out again this weekend (depending on if we buy the wife a new car or not lol) if we do ill have an update weekend after next. FINGERS CROSSED on having a bear picture to go with the report
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

So Nube are you saying allowing a dog to run where it pleases chasing what it wishes at anytime is something that shouldn't be an issue?? Maybe all people in the bush should just let their dogs run without limitations!!! All you have to say is "I didn't know what it was chasing"!

Oh and it Has nothing to do with how long someone has been cooped up over the winter! has to do with rules and regulations being broken!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Wink Last one not related to op

Soo let me ask you this sheep, the dogs that get into it with a porky those guys never get "charged" even though the ABSOLUTE ONLY WAY to get quills is to harass the animal or skunks spraying dogs, absolute PROOF of harassment compared to some dude online. So why is it the guys who come on here looking for tips and tricks in spray/quill removal dont get bothered about wildlife harassment??

Could it be because they are "small" animals and not considered game species? I am going to assume you run cats, thats why your raising an issue. Harassment is just that doesnt matter what species, but again no flak for the dogs harrasing the "non-game" species
Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Soo let me ask you this sheep, the dogs that get into it with a porky those guys never get "charged" even though the ABSOLUTE ONLY WAY to get quills is to harass the animal or skunks spraying dogs, absolute PROOF of harassment compared to some dude online. So why is it the guys who come on here looking for tips and tricks in spray/quill removal dont get bothered about wildlife harassment??

Could it be because they are "small" animals and not considered game species? I am going to assume you run cats, thats why your raising an issue. Harassment is just that doesnt matter what species, but again no flak for the dogs harrasing the "non-game" species
Ok Winger for one check section 45 of the wildlife act!!! It says point blank that you cannot allow a dog to persue "BIG GAME"

As porky is open season for hunting year round with no dog restrictions such as rabbits! So if you so wish you can hunt them with dogs!

Anything else you wanna come back with???
I simply stated its not something you should do or be posting!!

Last edited by sheepguide; 04-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Good for you getting out Winger. Looks like a few guys got stuck inside all winter
yup....AO just gets better every day.

better bust me too. my mutt jumped a pheasant when he was shed hunting last week......what a filthy beast he is.....
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM

This thread........

TOTALLY DERAILED

LS
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

No bears nor sign but my dog treed a squirrel..oops
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
some things are best left to PM's Darcy, .....just sayin.......
I liked it better when he wasn't here. I wonder why I left the other forum. Glad to see your still at it again Darcy! Keep it up.
To all you dog owners you better keep your dog on a leash and don't bother taking a stroll through the woods or you might get charged lol
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Oh the humanity!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM

keep it on track gents
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
pics and a trip report please
Well back to the subject of bear hunting The snows really melting up there and The roads are really greasy but other than that it's beautiful up there! Needs another week or two to green up didn't see one crocus flower! And I went to all my gopher hunting spots up there and I couldn't find one gopher so it's a bit early yet but skyline road is snow free but once you get to east sharples and west sharpies by the tower it's still 1 foot of wet snow
8mm Rem Mag 160 Grain Barnes TTSX 3360!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
pics and a trip report please
Well back to the subject of bear hunting The snows really melting up there and The roads are really greasy but other than that it's beautiful up there! Needs another week or two to green up didn't see one crocus flower! And I went to all my gopher hunting spots up there and I couldn't find one gopher so it's a bit early yet but skyline road is snow free but once you get to east sharples and west sharpies by the tower it's still 1 foot of wet snow
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM

I'm heading out to my favorite spot in a week or so for a little bit of scouting, shooting practice and camping. Hopefully my scouting thus far will reward me
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM

im getting excited, I have had nothing but terrible luck connecting with a good bear in the last couple years. shaved the hair off the back of one nice bear and got winded on an absolute monster of a boar after that . that one hurt. put some serious miles on the boots for him. hopefully I can anchor a big ole pumpkin head this year !
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM

I can't believe it with our current weather and snow pack, but I got a hit at one bait site. So cameras went up to have a look see. Print in the mud tells me it is a black and around 5 feet. Pics coming soon so I know for sure...

While working north east of nordegg today there was a beautiful 3 year old non-existent-bear ripping the hell outta a stump. Sat there, ate my lunch watching him... Dinner and a movie.....

Happy hunting all!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmHunter1921 View Post
Good to hear, I was a little further south then that thanks for the update!!!

Sorry about the thread going sideways on you
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM

North Coast here we come...first week of May

Last year we put down a 7' 4" square, nicest hide I've ever seen on a bear, going to be tough to beat that one especially with archery gear but from what we saw last year it is definitely possible.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
North Coast here we come...first week of May

Last year we put down a 7' 4" square, nicest hide I've ever seen on a bear, going to be tough to beat that one especially with archery gear but from what we saw last year it is definitely possible.
Your not saying a 7'4 blackie are you!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Your not saying a 7'4 blackie are you!!
Thats a big bear! 2 falls ago I hunted hard and came across a 7 1/2 footer and measured the skull and it scored 20 3/4!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM

I wouldn't get too excited about bear hunting yet boys. I find this happens every year that guys think they can go find bears just because the season is open. There might be a few roaming around but I would save your gas money for a few more weeks at least. Or you can just use an open season to get out of the house which is good as well I don't usually bother going out till mid May when I do any bear hunting.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't get too excited about bear hunting yet boys. I find this happens every year that guys think they can go find bears just because the season is open. There might be a few roaming around but I would save your gas money for a few more weeks at least. Or you can just use an open season to get out of the house which is good as well I don't usually bother going out till mid May when I do any bear hunting.
Where are you around lol. I know out in 305 its starting to green up out there, basically no snow (albeit there is some in spots) I can see them being out, grizzlies been out and about for a while now further west
This time of year I like to head out talk to land owners, look for a bear for a couple hours, shoot some gophers, talk to some more land owners and hit up the fort mac a&w on the way home lmao
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM

There is always bears harvested in the southern 300's and 400's in early April. You'll have better odds later, but there are still a few out already in the South. On three separate occasions, I have been in on bear harvests in the first week of April in southern Alberta, two of which were P&Y bears

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Of course there will be a few around but it will take a lot of work in April compared to later in May. I don't hunt down there and spend most of the time west or north of Edmonton. Either way good luck to those looking and there is never a bad time to be outdoors
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Of course there will be a few around but it will take a lot of work in April compared to later in May. I don't hunt down there and spend most of the time west or north of Edmonton. Either way good luck to those looking and there is never a bad time to be outdoors
hahaha yea that country is definatly season opens to early and ends a week or two to early lol. Definatly worth the wait though lots of good bears and color phases compared to other parts of the province thats for sure.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 PM

I hear grizz are out in 300

Last edited by alberta cats; 04-03-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Getting ready to scout and toss a cam in 406 now! Gotta work later, so just time for a preliminary look.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
Getting ready to scout and toss a cam in 406 now! Gotta work later, so just time for a preliminary look.
Soooo do we get lucky and get to see some pics in a couple weeks??