Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
i find that my 20 works fone for all the upland birds i hunt...however i seem to have to increase my shot size when going to my 20 to have the same knock down effect i have with my 12...am i imagining this or do others find the same??
I haven't a found larger shot size to be any advantage at all. I do use loads with nickel plated shot which seems to penetrate as well as larger shot, without sacrificing pattern density. With the 28 gauge, I also tend to use a slighter tighter set of chokes to increase the pattern density. I use #7-1/2 for grouse and Hungarian Partridge, and sometimes with released pheasant that are holding tight. For wild pheasant, I use #6.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I haven't a found larger shot size to be any advantage at all. I do use loads with nickel plated shot which seems to penetrate as well as larger shot, without sacrificing pattern density. With the 28 gauge, I also tend to use a slighter tighter set of chokes to increase the pattern density. I use #7-1/2 for grouse and Hungarian Partridge, and sometimes with released pheasant that are holding tight. For wild pheasant, I use #6.
hmm maybe it is all in my head then lol...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i find that my 20 works fone for all the upland birds i hunt...however i seem to have to increase my shot size when going to my 20 to have the same knock down effect i have with my 12...am i imagining this or do others find the same??
I have been using 7 1/2 nickel plated shot in my 20's and 28's for quite a few years and really like it.
Never had a problem knocking them down if I am on the head/neck area, and if there are pellets in the breast meat, they do not drag feathers in with them.

In my vintage BP 20 gauge gun however, I don't use nickel plated shot, but prefer to use a softer shot, and go a tad larger ( 6's) because it's travelling a bit slower.
My guns are choked with IC/MOD in my modern guns and cylinder/IMP MOD
in my vintage guns.
My muzzle loaders are cylinder/cylinder
Cat
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM

Smile Good for you

Practice, practice, and more practice. When you get a new gun, you need to know lots about it, how to get the safety off, which barrel is going first, to reload after you shoot.

It may sound hard to believe but I've seen the dog work her heart out to have the shooter, holding a safe queen, not fire a shot for all the above reasons.

Birds is right, a 20 will drop them when your partner doesn't shoot at 10 extra yards.

When behind a dog please carry the gun open.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 PM

I have a Beretta 686 White Onyx in 12 gauge. I like it alot.

Actually shouldered a very nice 20 gauge silver pigeon at P&D today.

I almost bought it, but then when I would need to have my wifes foot removed from one of my orifices.

Great little gun and very light weight.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have been using 7 1/2 nickel plated shot in my 20's and 28's for quite a few years and really like it.
Never had a problem knocking them down if I am on the head/neck area, and if there are pellets in the breast meat, they do not drag feathers in with them.

In my vintage BP 20 gauge gun however, I don't use nickel plated shot, but prefer to use a softer shot, and go a tad larger ( 6's) because it's travelling a bit slower.
My guns are choked with IC/MOD in my modern guns and cylinder/IMP MOD
in my vintage guns.
My muzzle loaders are cylinder/cylinder
Cat
I will have to try some of the nickle plated stuff i guess..I am just too cheap lol
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I will have to try some of the nickle plated stuff i guess..I am just too cheap lol
The Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads are not as expensive as you might think. Prophet River carries them.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What is your budget? Cz and Yildiz make more affordable guns, and Browning and Beretta make very nice guns, but the price is higher. I prefer Browning myself, because the fit me better.
Love my O/U Yildiz 20. Light'
And good fit for me
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 PM

Well, I am now Yildiz enabled. Bought the Yildiz SPZM O/U at WSS EdmN today. Sure feels a nice built shotgun fit and finish and it seemed to just cuddle up to me when I tried it out in the store. I was looking for some copper plated shotshells but WSS didn't have any. I bought some lead so I can at least shoot the gun but will have to try out Cabelas tomorrow.

Now, chokes and two barrels. This is my first O/U gun. Which barrels do guys usually shoot first...if it matters... and what would one recommend for chokes in the barrels? I am planning on 7 1/2 size shot for grouse. Thanks for all the help. My wife hates you all now but me...
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM

For upland I like to run 'em wide open!
With double triggers I prefer to use the back one first, then come up to the front.
Most guns with fixed chokes are backwards IMO!
Cat
Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM

The Yildiz has only one trigger. It uses inertia but it also has a switch that I can set to fire upper or lower first so trigger choice isn't a concern

Wide open? Interesting considering it came with 5 chokes and the two most open are installed in the gun now.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Now, chokes and two barrels. This is my first O/U gun. Which barrels do guys usually shoot first...if it matters... and what would one recommend for chokes in the barrels? I am planning on 7 1/2 size shot for grouse. Thanks for all the help. My wife hates you all now but me...
Most people including myself fire the bottom barrel first, as it is most in line with your shoulder, and causes less muzzle rise, which can help a bit if a quick second shot is required. I use improved cylinder in the bottom barrel and mod in the top barrel for upland game.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM

Default 20 gauge

I've owned. A single shot 20 gauge since I was 14 . It has done all I wanted to do. Shells cost a bit morej
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM

I hunt over a dog, and the shots are generally close, so I like open chokes.
Most guys use the bottom barrel first, and on my O/U 20 gauge Safari, that is the case as well.
it is a non-selective trigger system, as it is a rifle first with an optional set of 20 gauge barrels , so the bottom goes first.
The reason BTW, that I prfer to use my back trigger first, be it on an O/U or a SXS, is because I have double several times in the past because of wet fingers or gloves in the rain, the finger came off the front trigger in recoil and hit the back trigger - not good!
Using the back trigger first elimiantes this.
However, most SXS guns fire the right barrel( front trigger) first.
it just means I shoot my chokes "backwards" on a fixed choke gun - unless of course, I have sepcial orderd it with the open cho0ke on the back trigger.
Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM

So, I am having issues finding any plated type shot in 7 1/2 anywhere in 20 ga. It is easy enough to find copper plated in size 6. I always thought 6 was getting a big large for grouse in straight lead back in the day. Thoughts??
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
So, I am having issues finding any plated type shot in 7 1/2 anywhere in 20 ga. It is easy enough to find copper plated in size 6. I always thought 6 was getting a big large for grouse in straight lead back in the day. Thoughts??
Factory ammo ?
I'm not sure, i get my nickle plated shot for hand loading from Will Bilozir.
he is at most of the gun shows around the province.
before I used that i just used a like skeet load with 9's for ruffies.
Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Yep. factory ammo.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I hunt over a dog, and the shots are generally close, so I like open chokes.
Most guys use the bottom barrel first, and on my O/U 20 gauge Safari, that is the case as well.
it is a non-selective trigger system, as it is a rifle first with an optional set of 20 gauge barrels , so the bottom goes first.
The reason BTW, that I prfer to use my back trigger first, be it on an O/U or a SXS, is because I have double several times in the past because of wet fingers or gloves in the rain, the finger came off the front trigger in recoil and hit the back trigger - not good!
Using the back trigger first elimiantes this.
However, most SXS guns fire the right barrel( front trigger) first.
it just means I shoot my chokes "backwards" on a fixed choke gun - unless of course, I have sepcial orderd it with the open cho0ke on the back trigger.
Cat
which barrel do you shoot first on a sxs...i have read that if you shoot right handed then shoot the left first and vice versa...is this true? or does it matter on a sxs?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
which barrel do you shoot first on a sxs...i have read that if you shoot right handed then shoot the left first and vice versa...is this true? or does it matter on a sxs?
I have been using the back trigger first for the last few years now, when it is wet oout
The right hand barrel on a fixed choke gun is normally your open choke, so it goes to reason that the right hand barrel would be shot first.
If a gun has screw in chokes , I always out my open choke on the left hand side so I can use my back trigger first.
It seems easier for me to go forward for the second shot than too come back.
My little 28 gauge hammer double has the triggers muuch closer, and in this case it is much easier to shoot the back trigger/left barrel first.
Not a big deal, for sure, as the barrels are choked the same.

Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Yep. factory ammo.
We've shoot Chukars with factory 28's using #6's, and to tell you the truth I didn't see much difference, but they geenerally fly faster than ruffies.

Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM

mine is a single trigger sxs..i am left handed and i have my right tube at open (5 lines on my yildiz) my left at 4 slashes....I shoot left first then right...does it matter?? I don't think so, just curious if there was a recommendation like shooting the bottom first on an o/u
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
mine is a single trigger sxs..i am left handed and i have my right tube at open (5 lines on my yildiz) my left at 4 slashes....I shoot left first then right...does it matter?? I don't think so, just curious if there was a recommendation like shooting the bottom first on an o/u
Nope. doesn't matter in that case.
Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Default 16g

Wow
Has everybody forgotten about the 16G, the nice in between gauge that is heavy enough for Geese, but will also work great on chickens and Pheasant?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I buy Fiocchi Golden Pheasant which uses nickel plated shot, from Prophet River. If I remember correctly, the price was around $15 or $16 per box for 20 gauge. At this time I only have #6 on hand, as the #7-1/2 was back ordered for awhile. However they just received a shipment of shotshells, so there may be 7-1/2s in that order. I will be picking up a rifle and some other supplies from them tomorrow, so I will know then.

As for the copper plated shot, I prefer nickel plated, and most of the copper plated loads are quite expensive by comparison.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Wow
Has everybody forgotten about the 16G, the nice in between gauge that is heavy enough for Geese, but will also work great on chickens and Pheasant?
Nope, haven't forgotten it at all, I own three, two SXS vintage guns and a 40th Anniversary FAIR O/U.
The FAIR and my Remington SXS will be going south with me next week......
Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM

I be another vote for the 12g. Can you 2 3/4 for ducks and upland and then I use 3inch for geese.
If you do happen to shoot a couple geese and make jerky it may make you want to hunt them more.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM

I run 20g #6's and love em for grouse and pheasant. Honestly I'll never own a 12g again.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Banned

Fellow geezers.

I recall an article from Shotgun Sports magazine when it was an actual magazine.

The magazine had an article of a side by side that had one barrel in 20 and the other in 12. How long that shotgun was on the market?
I don't know.

Yes, something is quite obvious in a gun like this.

Cat will probably pop up and say this is pretty common with european guns.

Go Cat go.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Well, I have seen a couple like that , but I don't think they are common!!
I have seen numerous cape guns with a 12 guage /577/450 configuration, and lots of 16 /9.3 SXS guns however.
Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Good question, lots of information on this thread!

Size don't matter, as long as you do tactical breathing.

Ask Cat,