Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchy View Post
100% intentional and very very dirty. Chara was still pizzed at that shove he got from Pacioretty the last time they played.. after Montreal scored the winner. He went after him then, but didn't get the job done. This was payback.

Anyone who thinks that an NHL player who basically spends all day every day on the ice, "didn't know the 'turnbuckle' was there", is kidding themselves.

I doubt that Chara meant to hurt the guy THAT BAD.. but he absolutely did it on purpose and should have been suspended for it.
LOL. so because they pushed each other once, Chara must be out for blood. do you watch much hockey? Any hockey fan knows that if a player created a list of players they have shoved in a scrum vs ones they haven't pushed, the ones they have had a pushing match with would be much longer than you realize. I bet at in charas career he likely has had pushing matches with 60% or more of the players in the eastern conference. So does that mean he is trying to run the heads of 60% of the opponents into the stanchions?

BTW, to anyone who is blaming Colin Campbell for this should really brush up on their NHL. Colin Cambell had nothing to do with the decision not to suspend. His son plays for the Bruins and he steps away when they are involved.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
LOL. so because they pushed each other once, Chara must be out for blood. do you watch much hockey? Any hockey fan knows that if a player created a list of players they have shoved in a scrum vs ones they haven't pushed, the ones they have had a pushing match with would be much longer than you realize. I bet at in charas career he likely has had pushing matches with 60% or more of the players in the eastern conference. So does that mean he is trying to run the heads of 60% of the opponents into the stanchions?

BTW, to anyone who is blaming Colin Campbell for this should really brush up on their NHL. Colin Cambell had nothing to do with the decision not to suspend. His son plays for the Bruins and he steps away when they are involved.
Was a bit more than a normal shove in a scrum - he was pizzed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1cw8l_rm8
Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
looked like a clean hit to me.
Holy cow are you kidding! He shoved him into the post! Granted, it was just a a body check--perhaps "clean" as you say--but it also was into a post on a run-away... ouch! Does it make it okay anyhow...? The was I see it, it's not like he slipped into the boards after a check or broke his stick from a hit and fell on it...not sure if it's accendental.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Granted, it was just a a body check--perhaps "clean" as you say--but it also was into a post on a run-away.
If your entire argument is that he ran into a post, blame the people that left an unpadded post along the ice surface. Now whose arena was the game being played in?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If your entire argument is that he ran into a post, blame the people that left an unpadded post along the ice surface. Now whose arena was the game being played in?
If you stood on the shoulder of a road and someone pushed you into a speeding car would you blame the car or the road!

Last edited by dumoulin; 03-10-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 PM

"Funny" thing is.. if it was Trevor Gillies, we'd all be calling for him to be kicked out of the league for life!

Or.. if it was a Montreal player that did that to, let's say.. Marc Savard.. hmmmm?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
If you stood on the shoulder of a road and someone pushed you into a speeding car would you blame the car or the road!

The players were not playing on the road,and there were no vehicles present, so your analogy makes no sense at all. If the players were playing hockey on a busy highway, your analogy would be more realistic.

In hockey hitting is allowed, and it is very common for players to hit the boards, so why would the arena owner allow an unpadded upright post where hockey players are often skating along the boards at high speeds?

The simple fact is, that if it was a Boston player that was hurt, there would likely have been no penalty, and no outcry by the Montreal whiners.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 PM

Now the montreal police are starting a criminal investigation, that is complete bulls*it Imo. They dont do it in a hockey fight, why do it on a clean hit.

The hit was very unfortunate and bad how it happend, but not dirty.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
''Clean hit anywhere else on the ice'' does not make it right.
Chara knew darn well were that turnbuckle was when he made the hit. No attempt at all to prevent what happened.
So should they outlaw any hits on that side of the ice because the "Possibility" of getting caught by the turnbuckle exists? Then you can't hit anywhere there is a door in the boards because that might open up. Can't hit along the bench because they may go over the boards..... Where do you draw the line? Its an unfortunate result from a big hit. I highly doubt at that speed the intent was to put him into the glass like that. Contact occurred a ways up the boards before that....
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM

If it was Trevor gillies or anyone else in the league I would still say its a clean hit. I am not a montreal or boston fan but I think it was a normal play with finishing the check. A guy like chara has a job to do and that is to be physical and play the game the way it should be played. He did his job and finished his check.

Like mentioned before if it was a bruins guy that was hauled off the fans would be chanting away and there probably wouldn't have been anything called. The call was made to try and control the fans more then anything. They were also the ones that forced the police to get involved after flooding the police station phone lines with calls until they announced an investigation. That is the only reason that this incident is being made out as big as it is so far.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:14 AM

elkhunter, maybe have a look at the stanchion it is padded in Montreal like it is in every other rink. So your argument holds no water and is unrealistic at best.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
elkhunter, maybe have a look at the stanchion it is padded in Montreal like it is in every other rink. So your argument holds no water and is unrealistic at best.
x2. I don't know where this talk of no padding came from?? Still a clean hit.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Obviously the padding is not adequate, or the design needs to be changed, to eliminate that post as a hazard. Either that, or just accept the fact, that this kind of thing can happen. As posted previously, the outcry is not because a player was injured, it was because a Montreal player was injured.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
As posted previously, the outcry is not because a player was injured, it was because a Montreal player was injured.
Does that mean Quebec is going to hold a referendum and try to separate again? PLEASE!!!!!!! lol
Old 03-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
''Clean hit anywhere else on the ice'' does not make it right.
Chara knew darn well were that turnbuckle was when he made the hit. No attempt at all to prevent what happened.
Clean hit....ok, but as one analyst said, every player has to be accountable for their actions. This one is definitely borderline as far as malicious or not.
I would agree just because its a legal hit, does make it the right thing to do.
The follow through of the shoulder and arm was not needed,in what was interferance at best and intent to injure at worst.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Rink design should change ,but how far do you go. Completely enclose the ice surface? Play the puck of the roof and all the walls

Roller Ball anyone ?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer31 View Post
Rink design should change ,but how far do you go. Completely enclose the ice surface? Play the puck of the roof and all the walls

Roller Ball anyone ?
If rink design must change what will they do about the ice? The ice itself causes not just more concussions but more injuries than anything else! When was the last time a player was injured in the same fashion as we just saw? Why change anything when it is not an issue. This is a one off incident. They have not got rid of gates in the arenas and how many times have we seen them pop open because of a hit, and yes people have been injured by this as well.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Clean Hit!Does nobody remember over the years how many people were hit harder and worse into that partition!They should fix or change that setup.The media blows everything out of proportion!The game has gone downhill anyways they are all cry babies.Its all about the almighty $$$,thats why I don't watch anymore.Once the instigator rule came in,visors,the sticks come up and cheap shots!The enforcers when the NHL was good used to protect the best players on the team hence intimidation.But now its a free for all!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM

It is unfortunate that a player got hurt but he could have hit the brakes and missed it completely. On Sportsnet.ca there was a good article ( http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...king_the_bear/ )

Players have to take care of themselves and not rely on the Ref's or the League to protect them. Personally I don't know how more players don't end up getting their bell rung like that.

I can see it being interference as the puck had been passed and then the hit after he rubbed him in to the boards. Was it 5 and a game? Not sure but they guy was hurt on the play so I think the penalty was fine and I am fine with no suspension.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM

There is a precedencein Quebec for police to investigate, it's happened before in the LQMJHL. One of those incident's was the French player on the English player so lets not make this about appeasing Quebecers.

Calling it a clean hit anywhere else on the ice is missing the point, it wasn't anywhere else on the ice or should they not suspend boarding calls cause it would not be boarding anywhere else on the ice?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

it looks to me like he squeezed him out of the play and he hit a post.

he didn't intend to hurt him he just wanted to be in a defensive situation for the turn around. if he put all is weight into him and freight trained him into the post i would be upset. it's common knowledge that if you are in a situation suck as that they will try to put you out of the play by hitting you or squeezing you out, he had every opportunity to stop or fall rather than go face first into a pole.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM

Chara also had the same opportunity to let up.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Clean hit.....Chara himself is the only one that knows any different.

Karma is a beotch....we'll have to wait and see if his knee unexpectedly explodes here in the next little while.

tm
Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan30-06 View Post
Chara also had the same opportunity to let up.
Chara wasn't in the vulnerable position. Players have to hold themselves accountable. Do not expect the ref's or the league to protect you. Like Don Cherry always says "Keep yer head up kid"
Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Clean Hit Period, bad outcome.
As far as AIRCANADA, dont they owe the canadian government like 100 million??? So arent they in a sense using tax payers money to advertise anyway?? Good Bye IMO.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM

First off, I am not a Bruin or Canadians fan. I don't really care if he gets suspended or fined or not.

But consider this, how many times has Chara played in that building 50, 60, 70times? I think he knows where that turnbuckle is, especially a defencemen. Look at him as he turns to hit. The turnbuckle is completely in his field of view. He purposefully raises his elbow to guide him into it. Then look at Chara's reaction as dude explodes into it and hits the ice, he doesn't even react or look back. I think he can see it happening in his peripheral vision and doesn't want to acknowledge his guilt by even looking back like a non-guilty person would.

A completely spontaneous thing for sure, but he did have a fued with that guy. Let's not kid ourselves, he's guilty. A lot of guys compete like its war, why is this so surprising. I agree with some of the other comments, he never fights heavy weights either, just smaller guys. If he does fight a heavy weight, he justs trys to tie them up, not stand toe to toe. For sh*ts and giggles, the NHL or Montreal Police should polygraph him see what happens.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM

A skilled player like Chara shouldn't be fighting heavywieghts, but he does. He caved Ivannis's face in and he ragdolled Brian McCabe. I haven't seen all of Chara's fights, but I don't remember him seatbelting anyone.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM

If guys start thinking about laying up on every hit that they go to make they themselves have a better chance of being hurt and it will also make for womens style hockey. Hitting is part of the game and guys get payed to play the body. Its hockey and people have always gotten hurt playing it.

It seems like the province of Quebec wants to control hockey by getting the law involved with any kind of play that injures a player lately. I say they should keep the law out of it and let the league handle it.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2unes View Post
First off, I am not a Bruin or Canadians fan. I don't really care if he gets suspended or fined or not.

But consider this, how many times has Chara played in that building 50, 60, 70times? I think he knows where that turnbuckle is, especially a defencemen. Look at him as he turns to hit. The turnbuckle is completely in his field of view. He purposefully raises his elbow to guide him into it. Then look at Chara's reaction as dude explodes into it and hits the ice, he doesn't even react or look back. I think he can see it happening in his peripheral vision and doesn't want to acknowledge his guilt by even looking back like a non-guilty person would.

A completely spontaneous thing for sure, but he did have a fued with that guy. Let's not kid ourselves, he's guilty. A lot of guys compete like its war, why is this so surprising. I agree with some of the other comments, he never fights heavy weights either, just smaller guys. If he does fight a heavy weight, he justs trys to tie them up, not stand toe to toe. For sh*ts and giggles, the NHL or Montreal Police should polygraph him see what happens.
your off on your estimates and logic. Chara is in his 12th season. played a career 914 games or so. If he plays an average of 3 times in MTL per season, that would be 36 times, give or take a few. Now pacioretty is in his 3rd season. he has played 123 games. half are at home, that makes it 62 times played in MTL. He has played almost twice as many games there, wouldn't he know it better then?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 PM

The challenge was made and my 11 year old buddy and I are barrelling across the field as fast as we can run. He had 2 steps on me, and I'm not going to catch him. My swinging arm gently touched his foot and as his feet crossed he piled up in a heap, tumbling through the hay.

WOW, to think such a minor move could cause so much reaction! I didn't mean it.......did I? There's only one person that knows for sure.