Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
You name the time and place and I will come and play if the invite includes me. I ride with an outtie 650 so I know what to expect.
Sure sparky come on out anytime and id be glad to take you on some of Albertas best most divearse trails. We can leave right from my house and hit everything this province can hand out, then come back and BS about all our quads being junk over a few cold ones(ill buy). Offer stands to anyone, ill even supply the beer if your quad kicks mine or me.

Like was stated they all have good and bad points. Any make can blow up anyday from the day you buy them. Any machine can break on the trail(and they do). Some have great clearance, some have great steering, some are very light, but not one machine out there does it all or has no flaws, no matter how much BS people say.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
the control arm isnt what failed. it was either a flawed knuckle or the ball joint itself.
Well the ball joint is attached to the A-Arm is it not? IIRC the 2008-9's are built into the A arm and not serviceable. If there was a problem with the knuckle side being loose for long enough it may warrant an A arm replacement as well?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

sorta correct. either way, its not the steel that failed.....human error is the most likely cause. id bet good money that nut wasnt tightened properly.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:51 PM

It all really depends on what your using it for......... Actually no it doesn't, I own a 2010 Can Am Outlander, Oversized mud tire, Gorilla Lift, heavy duty axles, snorkel kit, and other nic nacs for trail riding. On the local Poker Rally, I rode with a bunch of buddies, everything from sport quads to side by sides, a couple grizzlies and even a trike or two, and on my can am I always was in the back of the pack, not because I couldn't keep up or cus I was always having problems, but because we all knew that when it came down to the big mud holes that when everyone was Buried balls deep, literally.....mud and water were covering there seat, they knew that the can am would come up do circles around them and then pull them out sometimes two at a time, it is just the best quad all around, I will keep on my Outlander untill I get too old that my back starts hurting and I gotta buy me a side by side,
Cheers
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 PM

I can ensure you that it was all tight and seviceable prior to the failure. The A- arm may have to be changed. I'll determine that when I get a new joint. I don't know what stressed it or if the ball joint itself was flawed. Damn peculiar as I too have run Yamahas for a few years. Sorry for the hi-jack again.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagEmN'TagEm View Post
It all really depends on what your using it for......... Actually no it doesn't, I own a 2010 Can Am Outlander, Oversized mud tire, Gorilla Lift, heavy duty axles, snorkel kit, and other nic nacs for trail riding. On the local Poker Rally, I rode with a bunch of buddies, everything from sport quads to side by sides, a couple grizzlies and even a trike or two, and on my can am I always was in the back of the pack, not because I couldn't keep up or cus I was always having problems, but because we all knew that when it came down to the big mud holes that when everyone was Buried balls deep, literally.....mud and water were covering there seat, they knew that the can am would come up do circles around them and then pull them out sometimes two at a time, it is just the best quad all around, I will keep on my Outlander untill I get too old that my back starts hurting and I gotta buy me a side by side,
Cheers
if anybody put a snorkel kit,big tires and gorilla axles on any of the mentioned quads they would be able to do the same thing I don't see your point really?

I know the guys that have their can am's love them and they seem like cool machines to me but I have noticed alot of the owners overestimate them,I had a guy recently tell me his 800 would take a banshee stock vs stock in a drag race,after I stopped laughing and pointing at him I had to leave him cause he was talking nonsence,they are cool quads and have good power but they are not sport quads and they never will be.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
if anybody put a snorkel kit,big tires and gorilla axles on any of the mentioned quads they would be able to do the same thing I don't see your point really?

I know the guys that have their can am's love them and they seem like cool machines to me but I have noticed alot of the owners overestimate them,I had a guy recently tell me his 800 would take a banshee stock vs stock in a drag race,after I stopped laughing and pointing at him I had to leave him cause he was talking nonsence,they are cool quads and have good power but they are not sport quads and they never will be.
An 800 Can Am Renegade VS a Banshee in a Drag race would totaly depend on the length of the race. Of the line the Banshee wouldnt have a hope and would have to play catch up. So just depends on the distance and how much jump the 800 got.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
An 800 Can Am Renegade VS a Banshee in a Drag race would totaly depend on the length of the race. Of the line the Banshee wouldnt have a hope and would have to play catch up. So just depends on the distance and how much jump the 800 got.
SG
not really a banshee is capable of about 125 kmh at top speed and is very quick off the line,it's hard to find a good video of it on youtube but this one seems decent enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwTgLDC7QA

back when I had my quad it was a suzuki 450ltr I had it piped with the cherry bomba and a k&n air filter nothing serious,I had guys with there 800's come up to me and want to race all the time im not really sure why maybe because they were just coming out at the time and they wanted to try them out??anyways there wasn't a single race that I didn't leave the guy when I changed to second gear and he never came close to me again and the moment the race went to turns or whoops I was gone he was nowhere to be found.

personally I like the can am but you have to remember it's a 4x4 not a race quad it would be the same as me getting a 79 chevy 4x4 putting a 454 in it and then racing corvettes,sure it may go fast in a straight line but it can't turn or handle very good,it's heavy and harder to control,they are good bikes and for a 4x4 they are awesomely powerful but they aint sport bikes no matter how much power they have,they don't turn or jump or ride like a sport bike.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 PM

I have a 800 Can Am and really like it and have not had one problem with it so far.Love the power and the smooth ride..
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
not really a banshee is capable of about 125 kmh at top speed and is very quick off the line,it's hard to find a good video of it on youtube but this one seems decent enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwTgLDC7QA

back when I had my quad it was a suzuki 450ltr I had it piped with the cherry bomba and a k&n air filter nothing serious,I had guys with there 800's come up to me and want to race all the time im not really sure why maybe because they were just coming out at the time and they wanted to try them out??anyways there wasn't a single race that I didn't leave the guy when I changed to second gear and he never came close to me again and the moment the race went to turns or whoops I was gone he was nowhere to be found.

personally I like the can am but you have to remember it's a 4x4 not a race quad it would be the same as me getting a 79 chevy 4x4 putting a 454 in it and then racing corvettes,sure it may go fast in a straight line but it can't turn or handle very good,it's heavy and harder to control,they are good bikes and for a 4x4 they are awesomely powerful but they aint sport bikes no matter how much power they have,they don't turn or jump or ride like a sport bike.
I understand what a Banshee will do ive owned one when I was young. But a Renegade has some good top speed also and on dirt can do nothing but take a light 2 wheel drive quad. Like I said all depends on the length of the race and in a drag race cornering isnt much of an issue. Wasnt talking full fledged race with woops and corners.
Just a comparison my 600 polaris with stock tires did 80kms/hr and I would bet money the Renegade will do over 100Kms/hr. So with only maybe 20kms diff to the banshee the banshee may have a tough time catching him on a quarter mile race.
Be a neat race to see.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I understand what a Banshee will do ive owned one when I was young. But a Renegade has some good top speed also and on dirt can do nothing but take a light 2 wheel drive quad. Like I said all depends on the length of the race and in a drag race cornering isnt much of an issue. Wasnt talking full fledged race with woops and corners.
Just a comparison my 600 polaris with stock tires did 80kms/hr and I would bet money the Renegade will do over 100Kms/hr. So with only maybe 20kms diff to the banshee the banshee may have a tough time catching him on a quarter mile race.
Be a neat race to see.
SG
it's true some of those big bores have a really high top speed,not sure why really personally I don't like going above 100kph on a gravel road too much,but most quad drag races are 200 feet long,the big bores may have an advantage of 4x4 for this and the banshee spins excessively but it's 350 pounds vs 650,I don't really even like banshee's myself old technology it's basically a motor with a old bike wrapped around it,I like the 4 strokes with efi myself like the 450ltr ot the yamaha 450,anyways back to the point of my story I don't like combo bikes if I wanted a big 4x4 to push or pull something I would get one if I wanted a sport bike to run dunes I would get one,they are different bikes,it's the same reason I stay away from dual purpose motorcycles if you try to please everybody you end up pleasing nobody.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
it's true some of those big bores have a really high top speed,not sure why really personally I don't like going above 100kph on a gravel road too much,but most quad drag races are 200 feet long,the big bores may have an advantage of 4x4 for this and the banshee spins excessively but it's 350 pounds vs 650,I don't really even like banshee's myself old technology it's basically a motor with a old bike wrapped around it,I like the 4 strokes with efi myself like the 450ltr ot the yamaha 450,anyways back to the point of my story I don't like combo bikes if I wanted a big 4x4 to push or pull something I would get one if I wanted a sport bike to run dunes I would get one,they are different bikes,it's the same reason I stay away from dual purpose motorcycles if you try to please everybody you end up pleasing nobody.
I agree and that is why my quad is clutched for more torgue and less speed. On the trails I ride you wont see a 800 going any faster than a 250.

And the combo bikes like the 4x4 scramblers and renegades arent for me either.

Back to the thread... Polaris all the way LOL honestly I think any of the new bikes these days are pretty good. With that said the only one with a big down fall to me is Honda. Probably the most reliable motor out there but also the roughest ride and least amount of clearance.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM

'08 Grizzly so far no problems. 1900kms on beat the crap out of it as much as any one. Hauling camps in, pulling round hay bales around the yard, plowing snow. so far no major issues. Currently dealing with a coolant leak. Real Anal about oil changes and general maintenance though
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Back to the thread... Polaris all the way LOL honestly I think any of the new bikes these days are pretty good. With that said the only one with a big down fall to me is Honda. Probably the most reliable motor out there but also the roughest ride and least amount of clearance.
Have you ever ridden a Rincon or the new 420 with IRS?They don't ride like the old solid axle Hondas of the past.In fact the Rincon handles as good as any 4x4 utility quad that I have ridden.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Have you ever ridden a Rincon or the new 420 with IRS?They don't ride like the old solid axle Hondas of the past.In fact the Rincon handles as good as any 4x4 utility quad that I have ridden.
Yes elkhunter I have. Many ,Many times, its all a few of my riding partners will ride. And yes they have started making IRS but still are a lumber wagon compared to others. Honda is only about 15yrs behind the rest in the IRS game. And I will have to disagree strongly about the Rincon handleing as good as others. Im a Honda fan but they still havent built as good of a machine around their motor. They are rugged and durable and a great work horse on the farm but not a great trail machine, they still have alot of room for improvment.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM

I have an outlander Max 800 and gotta say it rocks, tons of power really great ride, also really nice to have an extra 6" length on the steep sections.
As for the frame problems, yes it is an issue BUT there is a simple mod to do where you slide three 1" square tubing into the frame to essentially make the frame one solid price, and thus impossible to break, also if you add a. Ricochet skid plate your that much better.
One thing I will agree with is the heating issue, I was pulling a cow elk out this year through deep grass the stock grill is crap, so make sure u add some screen to the grill or u will be stopping every so often to let it cool, lots of power to pull a cow or moose but also lots of heat to go with it.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
And I will have to disagree strongly about the Rincon handleing as good as others. Im a Honda fan but they still havent built as good of a machine around their motor. They are rugged and durable and a great work horse on the farm but not a great trail machine, they still have alot of room for improvment.
Actually,I much prefer the Rubicon as a workhorse,but on a trail,the Rincon will handle with the other big bores.If it had a better transmission,I would have considered one.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

And that is a great personal choice. I personaly and from what I see in the backcountry most people dont like honda for a trail machine. Even Suzuki is out numbeing them.
But it all comes down to the one riding it. If you like it then thats all that matters.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Yes elkhunter I have. Many ,Many times, its all a few of my riding partners will ride. And yes they have started making IRS but still are a lumber wagon compared to others. Honda is only about 15yrs behind the rest in the IRS game. And I will have to disagree strongly about the Rincon handleing as good as others. Im a Honda fan but they still havent built as good of a machine around their motor. They are rugged and durable and a great work horse on the farm but not a great trail machine, they still have alot of room for improvment.SG
x2 100% agree..

I have been a Honda man my whole life but I finally just got sick of the poor handling,no power,rough ride and plywood seat...

Honda doesnt make a quad that is even in the race when it comes to comfort and handling...

I might have gave up a little bit of reliability switching from Honda but i figure even if the Can Am breaks down and I have to walk,it will still be more comfortable then running a Honda Wagon
Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I might have gave up a little bit of reliability switching from Honda but i figure even if the Can Am breaks down and I have to walk,it will still be more comfortable then running a Honda Wagon
Awesome
Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Obviously,some of you disagree with the ride reviews of even the older Rincons.I guess that the people giving the reviews didn't know what they were talking about.

http://www.atvscene.com/atv_reviews/...incon?page=0,1

Quote:
Suspension
A soft, compliant suspension has always been one of the traits that the Rincon employed. When you ride the 2006, you’ll notice that Honda didn’t rest on its laurels. New Dunlop tires give a soft, plush ride and stand up to the abuse that an aggressive trail rider can give them. They also have an excellent tread pattern that provides impressive grip with low noise output. The rear shocks have had some valving changes to alter the way the Rincon handles the trail. The 2006 TRX680 also continues with Honda’s extensive use of aluminum in its rear suspension arms. This is a lightweight, durable solution. One thing to note about the Rincon’s rear independent suspension, as compared to the competition's, is the length of the A-arms. As explained by the engineers that designed the Rincon during our chat sessions, the longer the A-arms, the better angles they have to work with for suspension travel and axle location. In addition, the longer arms allow the shocks to be mounted at more of an angle, rather than vertical. This allows the use of longer shocks, which in turn allows more oil to be contained in the shock. The increased oil capacity allows the shocks to remain cool and run smooth even when run for long periods of time or when being abused. The 2006 Rincon certainly is geared towards having a balance between handling and comfort We will attest, while charging through the trails, it’s hard to imagine you’re riding a 600 pound utility machine.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;801406]Obviously,some of you disagree with the ride reviews of even the older Rincons.I guess that the people giving the reviews didn't know what they were talking about.

QUOTE]

I never go by reveiws other than that of guys I know that have had them or ride them and of what I seen with my own eyes. I see thousands of people trailering quads past my place every weekend in the summer. Thats a good enough review for me and Honda isnt close to 10% of what people are riding so I guess them guys have no clue either.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Obviously,some of you disagree with the ride reviews of even the older Rincons.I guess that the people giving the reviews didn't know what they were talking about.

http://www.atvscene.com/atv_reviews/...incon?page=0,1
Elk have you ever rode a new Can am??
Old 01-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Brownbear whats the warranty like on the Can Am these days.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Elk have you ever rode a new Can am??
Both the 650,and 800.They are extremely fast,and they handle very good,but they also have issues with overheating in the muskeg or mud.Some of the guys have even taken to relocating the rad,or mounting extra rads on the racks to keep from overheating.Search online,and you will find several rad kits available for that reason.As well,there have been some broken frames when riding over rocks.Those are my reasons for me not buying a Can Am.

I ruled out Polaris because of reliability issues,and I ruled out Honda,because I wanted a locking front differential,and I don't like the Rincon transmission.

That left Suzuki,Kawasaki,and Yamaha,and of the three,I preferred the 700 Grizzly.

I ride with a lot of different people,riding many different machines,and the Grizzly seemed to offer the best combination of handling,power,ride,reliability,and fuel range.It's not the fastest,but it doesn't have any issues either.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM

As of this year Can am has gone with a 6 month warranty like everyone else with the option to purchase extra. No more 3 year warranty. Atleast that is what it says on their website.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Brownbear whats the warranty like on the Can Am these days.
SG I'm not sure as mine is a few years old but I believe 3 years warranty was what was offered back then...
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Both the 650,and 800.They are extremely fast,and they handle very good,but they also have issues with overheating in the muskeg or mud.Some of the guys have even taken to relocating the rad,or mounting extra rads on the racks to keep from overheating.Search online,and you will find several rad kits available for that reason.As well,there have been some broken frames when riding over rocks.Those are my reasons for me not buying a Can Am.

I ruled out Polaris because of reliability issues,and I ruled out Honda,because I wanted a locking front differential,and I don't like the Rincon transmission.

That left Suzuki,Kawasaki,and Yamaha,and of the three,I preferred the 700 Grizzly.

I ride with a lot of different people,riding many different machines,and the Grizzly seemed to offer the best combination of handling,power,ride,reliability,and fuel range.It's not the fastest,but it doesn't have any issues either.
Ya I know a few people who have had overheating problems as well.We have had a few at work that the boys have rode hard and I was very impressed with how they took the abuse and this was one of the big factors for me when i bought one..

Out of those 3 I think you made a good choice.Weve always had really good luck with our Yamaha's over the years and there a pretty solid machine..
Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
SG I'm not sure as mine is a few years old but I believe 3 years warranty was what was offered back then...
According to the Can Am site,the warranty is a 6months limited warranty.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM

I'm a Polaris owner 700 & 300. Had both for over 3 years & a lot of miles including plowing snow hualing logs out of the bush etc. things I had to fix

- 700 belt repacement(don't plow snow in high gear duh)
- 300 Bent frame & busted plastic (rolled it down a hill, last 3 bounces it was 3-4 ft off the ground ouch).

Both still run great & never left me stranded ever. I have only owned Polaris & have no reason to switch so cannot comment on other brands.