Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Me and the wife have been researching Vietnam alot lately for retirement.
We are a long way off both being 35, and having 4 & 6 year old kids.
But I know I definitely will be spending a large portion of my year in another country when the time comes.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I will be buying a place in Costa Rica.

I have a few years to go to retire, but that is a for sure thing.
Have been going down there for years, we have friends that live there, have travelled the country.

Love the people, love the whole place.

Counting the days...
Hayseed, Can you tell me more about Costa Rica? I am hoping to take my family, wife and 3 kids (10, 12 &13) there for a vacation. 10-14 days. I have heard so many great things about costa Rica that I think that is where I would like to go but I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Do you have any recommendations as far as places, VRBO, hotel, all inclusive or stay away, activities/tours?
Thanks in advance.

CDN
Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 PM

Mexico vacation yes!
living in mexico is a no no.

Corruption is everywhere, its just worse in mexico. If you dont want the snow then move to Vancouver island. Canada's version of paradise on an island away from everyone. People are relaxed and living on island time. Beautiful wild life and amazing fishing.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-05-2020, 03:46 PM

I don't even vacation anymore.
I just can not justify spending $3.50 or more for a bottle of pepsi in the States that is $2.50 here.

We haven't gone anywhere since 2015.

I won't go to Mexico, unless I am leaving San Diego and fishing Mexican water.

3rd world hell holes hold no interest for me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-05-2020, 04:11 PM

The only place I have ever revisited is California

Other than that, I have no desire to purchase a place somewhere else. I prefer to be fluid and go wherever the wind takes me

My partner makes the arrangements. I research the surfing locations and scribble them down. I show up with my snorkel gear, water shoes, and rash guard shirts. Thats my big contribution to it all.

So basically, Im a bum.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I will be buying a place in Costa Rica.

I have a few years to go to retire, but that is a for sure thing.
Have been going down there for years, we have friends that live there, have travelled the country.

Love the people, love the whole place.

Counting the days...

Costa Rica is great!! We go in December and come back in April. Haven't thought of buying, we just rent. We have rented in Jaco and Tamarindo but this trip moved up to Papagayo. I like renting as we can choose to stay in different parts of the Country. Maybe next year the Caribbean side. Great fishing! Lots of other things to do.

However I don't think I could live year round....Grandbabies, hunting, fishing here in Canada and abroad I just couldn't miss out.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Hayseed, Can you tell me more about Costa Rica? I am hoping to take my family, wife and 3 kids (10, 12 &13) there for a vacation. 10-14 days. I have heard so many great things about costa Rica that I think that is where I would like to go but I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Do you have any recommendations as far as places, VRBO, hotel, all inclusive or stay away, activities/tours?
Thanks in advance.

CDN
We had friends that stayed in Hotel RIU Palace and Hotel RIU Guanacaste both in Papagayo...both all inclusive, water parks, family oriented. There is also a Planet Holywood not far away. They were happy with their stay.

Direct flights to Liberia then a short drive to the Resorts. Tons of activities.

Check them out on Trip Advisor and also go to the "ask question" section.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Anyone ever think about Leaving Canada for a more simplistic life?

Wife and I are here in Mexico at the moment and we’ve been to Mexico about a dozen times. The more I come here the more I like it and keep thinking life is so simple here than in Canada, with all the BS that’s going on back home like the corona virus , climate change being rammed down our throats, taxes going up wage going down, corrupt government and on and on.

I think we are seriously think about becoming an expat here in Mexico!
We love La Cruz Huanacaxtle, all the way north to Chacala along the coast.

Anyone else been here in this area?
resorts are one thing but after the tourism season etc place can turn into a jungle
Is it Safe to Travel to La Cruz de Huanacaxtle? Our best data indicates this area is somewhat safe, but with extra warnings in a few regions. As of Oct 07, 2019 there are travel warnings and regional advisories for Mexico; exercise a high degree of caution and avoid some areas.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-05-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever think about Leaving Canada for a more simplistic life?

Wife and I are here in Mexico at the moment and we’ve been to Mexico about a dozen times. The more I come here the more I like it and keep thinking life is so simple here than in Canada, with all the BS that’s going on back home like the corona virus , climate change being rammed down our throats, taxes going up wage going down, corrupt government and on and on.

I think we are seriously think about becoming an expat here in Mexico!
We love La Cruz Huanacaxtle, all the way north to Chacala along the coast.

Anyone else been here in this area?
Only if you have enough funds to live on....I would do it for sure
Old 02-05-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Mexico vacation yes!
living in mexico is a no no.

Corruption is everywhere, its just worse in mexico. If you dont want the snow then move to Vancouver island. Canada's version of paradise on an island away from everyone. People are relaxed and living on island time. Beautiful wild life and amazing fishing.
If I moved to Vancouver, people would start thinking I am a Liberal hippy...Not gonna happen...LOL
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The only place I have ever revisited is California

Other than that, I have no desire to purchase a place somewhere else. I prefer to be fluid and go wherever the wind takes me

My partner makes the arrangements. I research the surfing locations and scribble them down. I show up with my snorkel gear, water shoes, and rash guard shirts. Thats my big contribution to it all.

So basically, Im a bum.
Been to Florida twice now and would move down there in a heartbeat. Walked many steps in theme parks and muscles and joints felt good next day. Persistant dry cough gone while enjoying the climate...I felt like I was a 20 year old again in Florida...Wife even agrees she felt the same thing...
Old 02-05-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
LMFAO...! Parrsboro...? Jesus Murphy, it's hard enough finding work around Halifax. Why would you want to stick yourself in the most desolate corner of Nova Scotia ? Scott Paper is about the only option.

I constantly think about moving to the USA. Texas, maybe Florida. Even New Mexico or Nevada. This country of ours is going to Hell In a Handbasket quickly.

looked nice to me....don't need work...retired just fart around fishing etc and to get a shack for under 100k...

Old 02-05-2020, 05:02 PM

When I see the direction the country is going it makes me think I should have been looking for a place to live in Montana or Wyoming when our dollar was at par.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
LMFAO...! Parrsboro...? Jesus Murphy, it's hard enough finding work around Halifax. Why would you want to stick yourself in the most desolate corner of Nova Scotia ? Scott Paper is about the only option.

I constantly think about moving to the USA. Texas, maybe Florida. Even New Mexico or Nevada. This country of ours is going to Hell In a Handbasket quickly.

These individuals are not looking for work. Some people actively look to get away from people. Lol
I am currently looking at property in Ecum Secum, to get away from the crowds when I retire.
P.S. Halifax is booming for young educated people.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
When I see the direction the country is going it makes me think I should have been looking for a place to live in Montana or Wyoming when our dollar was at par.
Look elsewhere!! montana is being slowly ruined by California and Utah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I don't even vacation anymore.
I just can not justify spending $3.50 or more for a bottle of pepsi in the States that is $2.50 here.

We haven't gone anywhere since 2015.

I won't go to Mexico, unless I am leaving San Diego and fishing Mexican water.

3rd world hell holes hold no interest for me.
Ha where do you buy your Pepsi? Someone is cheating you! Even at a gas station Pepsi isnt 3.50$ a bottle unless maybe it’s a 2L. you can avoid that by going to a grocery store and gettting 2L for less than 1.50$. I regularly get coke for less than 1.75$/L at a gas station and I live in a resort town with resort taxes.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 PM

From friends who tried settling in Mexico - even in Cancun during its boom years, trying to build a life and get ahead in Mexico is very, very difficult. But retiring there after making your mark in Canada can be a pretty sweet lifestyle, and your retirement/investment dollars go much further. Their overall problem is living that distance from family whose younger members are still building their lives.

Cartel crime in enclaves of ex-pats is pretty rare. Like in Calgary, it's mostly gang on gang violence, (it's not pasty Canadians you see dangling from those overpasses!) and the nightly news from Calgary isn't much different. If you like hanging around a 7 Eleven at 2 in the morning or partying with bad boys at sketchy nightclubs - then you might find trouble - whether it's Cancun or Calgary.

As much as I like the 'spending all day, every day outside' climate, great fresh food, and generally friendly locals, I just can't take the thick, tropical air for very long! I need clear, dry and thin Alberta air for my lungs to work properly!

Need chapstick to keep you lips moist? Grow a moustache !!!
Old 02-05-2020, 08:47 PM

utah is beautiful.
mix of mountains, and dessert and canyons.
I would consider moving there.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:23 PM

Depends what a person wants. I could live in the US for a decade or so, as I have no kids and love motorsports..and noone does motorsports better than America. Desert air and dryness makes me feel 15 years younger, and I just like the Nevada/Arizona area. Whatever floats your boat, you only have one life, do what makes you happy.

Ps montana is beautiful, as is Utah, Cali, so many choices..
Old 02-05-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The reason Canada is in the state its in is because the public sucks. Allow me to explain.

We complain a lot about government. Trudeau, Harper, Mulroney, etc etc etc

The problem is, WE decide who gets to be in government by way of voting. WE are responsible for the issues Canada has.

The public are the worst bosses ever. We rarely know exactly who we vote for, we really dont know what they plan on doing, we dont properly interview these people for the job they applied for.

We put on our shoes every 4 years, stomp to a polling station, and mark an "X" beside some persons name and figure we've accomplished something. Did our civic duty. And EVEN THAT takes too much effort for some because people want to vote online. How lazy.

Then we sit back and allow these people to take responsibility for hundreds of billions of OUR dollars to seemingly do as they please....

What boss in their right mind would do that? One that doesnt really care I presume.

Canada has a lot to offer, but the public fails to ensure that. Every few years we let the pendulum swing too far one way or the other rather than ensuring it stays closer to the middle.

That in turn causes division.

We complain about corporations getting tax breaks, when its these same corporations that we support through our purchases, or our investments or because we work for them. Does ANYONE here know exactly where their RRSP or other financial portfolio money goes?

Our apathy is what kills us. Our failure to properly interview politicians for the job they seek is our ultimate failure. We are getting what we deserve.

Any politician running for a position that shows up to a public forum with a prepared speech should be cast aside. They should be questioned by those in attendance and gauged on their answer. Prepared speeches are a clear sign that this person wants to talk, but not listen. Red flag. Honestly, how many of you have ever applied for a job and the main premise was you ANSWERING QUESTIONS?? Likely the vast majority. Why do we allow politicians to give a speech, we clap and go home? Is that any way to be a boss? Apathy.

Canada has it all. It's here. The resources, the brains, the hard working attitude. We as the public need to up our game.

Now that being said, weather does suck. Cant control it. Tropical locations have it too. Nowhere is great all the time.

The moment Canadians become less self centered, become more aware of things beyond their front door, and take an active role in the governance of this country, the sooner things will improve. We have to be better bosses.

Next election, regardless of whether its municipal, provincial, or federal, I challenge you to attend whatever forum and ask a question. If you sit there and listen rather than speak, I beg you to ask yourself "Am I being DICTATED to by this person"?

Because if you are, your troubles are about to start again. Forget change. Youve just given this person the green light to do as they please. And as a boss, you suck.
Your post reminds me of a classic George Carlin bit that touches on what you are Saying. NSFW!! https://youtu.be/rVXekzwkz10 .

I watched that many years and I try to not complain about politicians because what you and George are saying is correct. Ignorant selfish politicians are elected by ignorant selfish public.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

Ha where do you buy your Pepsi? Someone is cheating you! Even at a gas station Pepsi isnt 3.50$ a bottle unless maybe it’s a 2L. you can avoid that by going to a grocery store and gettting 2L for less than 1.50$. I regularly get coke for less than 1.75$/L at a gas station and I live in a resort town with resort taxes.
Honolulu

When I go on a holiday, it is going to be somewhere surrounded on all sides with ocean no more than 45 miles in any direction. And I mean WARM water not this cold long beach Kalifornia crap lol.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-05-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Retirement was the idea. Cheap to live.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 11:02 PM
Banned

What if I told you that the reason Canada is becoming a welfare paradise (crapshot) is because the majority of Canadians wants their gib me dats? Who in turn vote in politicians to enact that will.

So much for universal suffrage.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Nope I won’t go anywhere, I’ll stay and fight for my kids and grandchildren to have a better life. Besides I’m 60 and winter has never got old for me, I hunt rabbits, coyotes, hike, snowshoe, ice fish, it’s a great playground. Being a 5th generation Canadian I’ll do what my family has always done, work hard and give hope for the next 5 generations.
Exactly my thought. I am a 4th generation Albertan and none of my ancestors retired to Mexico. Even if they could have, they wouldn't have because they valued family #1, just as I do.

There are actually 2 in our family who retired to Costa Rica and Mexico. They are viewed as lazy and selfish. They are also the two that didn't have children. They wanted to have fun, retire early, and live the easy life. Is the grass any greener for them? No. The kind of happiness you can get from doing drugs and lying on the beach is a shallow one that grows old quickly.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 AM

South Africa used to be an option..not so much lately. The cheaper/poorer the lower the value of human life. That can work against expats who seem to be living a good lifestyle.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:39 AM

Man we got it good here is all I can say, peoplekind are going too moan and groan over the brief case full of money being too heavy....until they are dealt with real hardship which we as Canadiens are not subjected too but if you are then it is a choice because many people come to this country and do really well for themselves but it comes with accountability, integrity and hard work....many just like to sit back and complain because that takes little to no effort.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:49 AM

Can’t believe some people are saying Mexico is unsafe, I’d say give your head a shake, people get shot in Red Deer Walmart parking lot, or downtown Edm Calgary daily, if you’re not in the drug scene you are are safe.

Been to many small towns and City’s and never felt unsafe, we are renting a car now and with that too no issues. Just don’t do stupid stuff!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Can’t believe some people are saying Mexico is unsafe, I’d say give your head a shake, people get shot in Red Deer Walmart parking lot, or downtown Edm Calgary daily, if you’re not in the drug scene you are are safe.

Been to many small towns and City’s and never felt unsafe, we are renting a car now and with that too no issues. Just don’t do stupid stuff!
I guess safe is a relative term

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garysto.../#7569f8efde37
Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:

I am very happy you are enjoying yourself but Mexico is far from safe, even if you don't do stupid things. You odds of being collateral damage or intentional target are a whole lot higher there than in Red Deer. To compare Canada, with less than 800, 1.8/1000, murders a year, to Mexico with over 33,500, 24.8/100,000 is completely ridiculous. This doesn't even address the rates of other violent crime like armed robbery, kidnapping, assault etc.

People can carp all they want about what is wrong with Canada and the direction we are heading but this is still one truly great, safe and progressive country to live in. There are a few others in the world that match it but Mexico sure as hell isn't one of them.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 AM

Arrow . Sad ... Someone here is suffering from; 'Cognitive Dissonance' ❗

Quote:

There's a term for that 👆

And it reads like this 🔻

Selkirk
Old 02-06-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am very happy you are enjoying yourself but Mexico is far from safe, even if you don't do stupid things. You odds of being collateral damage or intentional target are a whole lot higher there than in Red Deer. To compare Canada, with less than 800, 1.8/1000, murders a year, to Mexico with over 33,500, 24.8/100,000 is completely ridiculous. This doesn't even address the rates of other violent crime like armed robbery, kidnapping, assault etc.

People can carp all they want about what is wrong with Canada and the direction we are heading but this is still one truly great, safe and progressive country to live in. There are a few others in the world that match it but Mexico sure as hell isn't one of them.
The fact that someone had to point this out is shocking.