Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last2shoot View Post
This is directly from Cabela's "privacy officer"
----------------------------------------------------
Cabela’s Canada does not keep a ledger of retail firearm sales for non-restricted firearms which includes your person information such as your name or address. We do keep your PAL # associated with a non-restricted firearm purchase only to prove if challenged that we sold the firearm to an individual legally able to purchase the firearm with a non-expired PAL # at the time. These firearm records are not available to any outside agency with a court order and are not shared with the Canadian Firearm Center. As you are aware – CFC has no authority to mandate any recording or reporting to them of any non-restricted firearm sales records. As a valued customer at Cabela’s Canada we safe guard any sales record, firearms related or not, to the highest standards of security.
---------------------------------------------------------

First, the PAL # is kept with the serial number and information of the firearm.
The PAL # of course leads directly to YOU.
Secondly, court orders can get anything from anybody, even the PM office. So Cabela's is full of sh*t.
Thirdly, the liberals will create new laws that will mandate Cabela's to turn over the PAL # and firearm registration.

Lastly, the firearm act specifically states that no information needs to be recorded for non-restricted firarms:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regula...38/page-1.html

By keeping your PAL# Cabelas is obviously trampling on your privacy rights, and is more worried about public perception in case of an event and not you, their customer. As long as people keep buying guns from Cabelas without complaint Cabelas will keep violating your rights. Let's be clear, there is NO law requiring them to keep your PAL#. All they have to do is verify it at the time of purchase. Cabelas is doing this voluntarily.

I just ordered 2 rifles, one is in the store now waiting for me to pick up. The other is on the way. But now that I have 'cleared' up any misconceptions, I am not picking either rifle up and am in search of more honest retailers.
Regardless of the policy you quoted, I have bought a few rifles from Cabelas and the closest they came to recording any info from my PAL was checking a box that said PAL verified.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Cabela’s Canada does not keep a ledger of retail firearm sales for non-restricted firearms which includes your person information such as your name or address. We do keep your PAL # associated with a non-restricted firearm purchase only to prove if challenged that we sold the firearm to an individual legally able to purchase the firearm with a non-expired PAL # at the time. These firearm records are not available to any outside agency with a court order and are not shared with the Canadian Firearm Center. As you are aware – CFC has no authority to mandate any recording or reporting to them of any non-restricted firearm sales records. As a valued customer at Cabela’s Canada we safe guard any sales record, firearms related or not, to the highest standards of security.

Secondly, court orders can get anything from anybody, even the PM office. So Cabela's is full of sh*t.
Thirdly, the liberals will create new laws that will mandate Cabela's to turn over the PAL # and firearm registration.

Lastly, the firearm act specifically states that no information needs to be recorded for non-restricted firarms:

By keeping your PAL# Cabelas is obviously trampling on your privacy rights, and is more worried about public perception in case of an event and not you, their customer. As long as people keep buying guns from Cabelas without complaint Cabelas will keep violating your rights. Let's be clear, there is NO law requiring them to keep your PAL#. All they have to do is verify it at the time of purchase. Cabelas is doing this voluntarily.

I just ordered 2 rifles, one is in the store now waiting for me to pick up. The other is on the way. But now that I have 'cleared' up any misconceptions, I am not picking either rifle up and am in search of more honest retailers.
I have never purchased a firearm from Cabela's. and I have no plans to ever do so,
Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Cabela's and WSS both keep track by writing down the PAL number and serial number on an invoice somewhere, depending on the store the papers are locked away for a year then shredded or transferred. This is for legal policy reasons and only managers/supervisors know this and where this stuff goes. I will not buy from big companies because of this, that and I have been mistreated so much at both of the stores named it's stupid.

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 PM

Exclamation Gun registry is not dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
This would need to be voluntary I imagine. Lots of semi's are non restricted and since the gun registry is gone it's almost impossible for the RCMP to track down and collect them. Sounds like the Liberals are trying to appease citidiots again.
That's not true for anyone who uses a PAL for purchasing, which is nearly everybody. Cabela's for example, records the PAL with the Firearm serial. Their privacy dude says they don't keep records, except to prove that the Firearm was sold to someone who had a valid PAL. In order to do that they have to keep the PAL information with the serial number.

Any ole court order would have Cabela coughing up PAL information, and that of course leads directly to the firearm information and the purchaser. The gun registry is dead, but Cabela's and other companies are maintaining it through the 'back door'. Something the past Conservative government tried to stop, but did not because no penalties were imposed for violating the privacy of Canadians.

or...

Any ole change in the law would have Cabela handing over all firearms records.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 PM

@ Raab

You have missed the point. If you are a PAL or RPAL holder there is absolutely no need for the government or police force to wet nurse you to a safe and peaceful life.

More legislation does not mean more safety when it comes to law abiding firearms owners. It is criminality that should be the focus or concern regarding guns.

As responsible owners we know what we are doing, we are the most knowledgeable about what we do and it's idiots with points of view such as yours that allow the gradual decline of our pursuits whether hunting, target shooting, etc

Wake up
Old 01-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Default Excellent observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
@ Raab

You have missed the point. If you are a PAL or RPAL holder there is absolutely no need for the government or police force to wet nurse you to a safe and peaceful life.

More legislation does not mean more safety when it comes to law abiding firearms owners. It is criminality that should be the focus or concern regarding guns.

As responsible owners we know what we are doing, we are the most knowledgeable about what we do and it's idiots with points of view such as yours that allow the gradual decline of our pursuits whether hunting, target shooting, etc

Wake up

Old 01-15-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
@ Raab

Wake up
I agree to an extent that guns aren't the issue. Mental health is the biggest issue surrounding gun violence. I think we should be focusing more on that aspect and getting people the help they need. But in saying that there are some things the average citizen shouldn't have. IMO if you want to shoot prohibited weapons join the CAF or your local reserves.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I agree to an extent that guns aren't the issue. Mental health is the biggest issue surrounding gun violence. I think we should be focusing more on that aspect and getting people the help they need. But in saying that there are some things the average citizen shouldn't have. IMO if you want to shoot prohibited weapons join the CAF or your local reserves.
You're a good little Nazi raab, but heinrich Himmler beat you to the post when he said "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the ss or the sa. Ordinary citizens do not need guns as their having guns does not serve the state".
Old 01-15-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
You're a good little Nazi raab, but heinrich Himmler beat you to the post when he said "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the ss or the sa. Ordinary citizens do not need guns as their having guns does not serve the state".
Where did I say people can't have guns. I'm sorry but I see no reason for people to have fully automatic weapons in this country. The whole your either for or against guns argument is stupid. I don't think people need fully automatic weapons so they can play commando on the weekends. You want to do that then join the reserves and have the fully automatic rifles stored at a facility some ******* perp can't break into.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but I see no reason for people to have fully automatic weapons in this country.
And since fully automatic firearms are already prohibited in Canada, enacting more laws will accomplish nothing.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The whole your either for or against guns argument is stupid. .

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."
-- Janet Reno, US Attorney General

Stupid huh? Regardless of country, gun grabbing politicians and the toads that follow them are all the same.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU375 View Post

20-year-old Criminal Code regulations as they apply to newer weapons shown in lab tests to be "amenable to the improvised full automatic fire technique."
Does anybody know if they are talking about the bump firing with your belt loop or using a bump fire device?

Jesus they should outlaw belt loops then.

Is the cat out of the bag on RCMP loving? Time to treat these guys like they are - liberals with jackboots - forced progressivism. I would rather eat my dog then show an ounce of kindness to somebody wearing that uniform.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Does anybody know if they are talking about the bump firing with your belt loop or using a bump fire device?

Jesus they should outlaw belt loops then.

Is the cat out of the bag on RCMP loving? Time to treat these guys like they are - liberals with jackboots - forced progressivism. I would rather eat my dog then show an ounce of kindness to somebody wearing that uniform.
Jesus man - denying climate change under the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference is enough now to get you declared mentally ill and have your guns confiscated.

Talking like this on a public forum will get you flagged and thrown in jail on your next routine traffic stop.

These kinds of comments are a disservice to firearms owners.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:27 PM

The RCMP is a large organization. Why would we denigrate the local officer, who has nothing to do with the decisions made by those in the highest levels? How about a little bit of critical thinking?

I don't hold frontline officers responsible for this.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Default write your MP

I did. Do it NOW.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
The RCMP is a large organization. Why would we denigrate the local officer, who has nothing to do with the decisions made by those in the highest levels? How about a little bit of critical thinking?

x2

More than likely quite a few also own the rifles in question and stand to loose their own property as well.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:

High River?????
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Its easy to ban things but very difficult to reverse a ban. If they are successful in banning any semi-automatic rifles, those laws will likely never be dropped. This is just the first step, next is pistols, then anything other than hunting rifles and finally hunting rifles. This way the government can even control what you eat!

Oh, and Raab? Really, count shots? LMFAO. Do you even read what you write?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Where are the frontline officers protesting this ? Until they, the frontline officers, take a stand against confiscation of private property, the complete waste of resources better used elsewhere, they will be painted with the same brush as the Chiefs.
Not only does the ban and power grab from the Chiefs drive a wedge between front line officers and the law abiding citizen, it could potentially endanger people's lives for fear and mistrust of law enforcement, and possibly endanger front line officers when in need of the publics help and cooperation.
Where are the voices of the frontline officers? Indeed, critical thinking.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Where are the frontline officers protesting this ? Until they, the frontline officers, take a stand against confiscation of private property, the complete waste of resources better used elsewhere, they will be painted with the same brush as the Chiefs.
Not only does the ban and power grab from the Chiefs drive a wedge between front line officers and the law abiding citizen, it could potentially endanger people's lives for fear and mistrust of law enforcement, and possibly endanger front line officers when in need of the publics help and cooperation.
Where are the voices of the frontline officers? Indeed, critical thinking.
Do you think that an organization such as this could function when individuals ignore directions from leadership? Even the Commissioner has a boss. Law enforcement is subject to civilian oversight.

I suppose the military might work well under the actions that you also prescribe.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:

personal ethics.

Mine are clear, if my boss was doing things I felt were wrong and against my values I would be packing up my desk.

So front line officers either a) have lousy ethics or b) support the actions of their superiors.

Stop telling me I have to hold sacred an organization and its employees that regards me as a sport shooter a criminal, makes policy that reduces my ability to undertake in my hobby of choice and tries to strip me of my right to private property.

big goverment thugs.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:26 AM

Well seeing as weed is on its way to legalization, maybe we can take some pointers from their movement:

1. Defy all laws and carry on with use, possession and aquisition;

2. Stage rallies in front of Parliament and legislature buildings where you openly show your peaceful disdain for the law (perhaps open carry of restricted firearms) while singing songs;

3. Mail politicians samples (perhaps range passes would work better than firearms);

4. Stick together as a community, they did whether they were a billionaire, Doctor, student, total burnout, bong smoker or brownie baker; and

5. Run a huge campaign to debunk myths and run real facts (but avoid sounding like what will be perceived as NRA soundbites) to educate those on the fence of what a ban would accomplish.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Sure hope this is a damn joke....
Old 01-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, I almost threw up in my coffee this morning. CBC reports that the RCMP is moving agressively under the Criminal Code to ban semi-automatic firearms. They said that they requested the update to the criminal code under the Conservatives they were ignored but the Liberals have confirmed they will go ahead with the update immediately "while undergoing consultations" which means they will arrange to have at least some, (probably all) semi-automatic rifle owners turn in their rifles in or be found in contravention of the criminal code.

I dont think anyone on here will be surprised by this move. next they will probably go after hunting and fishing rights.

From the CBC this morning

The number of military-style firearms that can be temporarily jury-rigged to become automatic weapons has increased "dramatically" in Canada over the last decade — and so has the public-safety risk.

That's the stark conclusion of an internal RCMP laboratory report on improvised methods for upgrading semi-automatic weapons, and for illegally altering magazine clips to allow for rapid continuous fire.

The lab report notes that Criminal Code regulations designed to thwart makeshift upgrades may not apply to newer generations of weapons, creating a legal void.

"The restricted and prohibited firearm provisions of Criminal Code regulations were last updated in 1995, and there are presently numerous models of military and paramilitary firearms on the Canadian market which are outside the scope of the Criminal Code regulations, many being non-restricted in classification," says the 15-page report.

"The Canadian introduction of new types of military and paramilitary firearms not mentioned in the Criminal Code regulations, nearly all with large capacity magazines sizes, started circa 2005 and has accelerated since."

"The public safety threat posed by improvised conversion to full automatic fire has correspondingly increased."

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson alerted then public safety minister Steven Blaney last year to potential legislative gaps in Criminal Code gun provisions. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

A heavily censored version of the internal report, dated November 2014, was obtained by CBC News under the Access to Information Act.

CBC News has previously reported on the RCMP's concerns about improvised assault-weapon upgrades, an issue raised by RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson directly with then public safety minister Steven Blaney last year. But the detailed Mountie lab work documenting the issue was released only in the last week.

Last summer, Blaney rejected legislative changes to close any regulatory gap, saying the current law was sufficient. The Conservative government also passed Bill C-42 giving cabinet — not the RCMP — the final say about which weapons to restrict or ban, after the Mounties were slapped down for trying to get a popular semi-automatic withdrawn from Canada.

Some rifles could be banned

But the new Liberal government has promised to "put decision-making about weapons restrictions back into the hands of police, not politicians," raising the possibility the RCMP may yet be able to get some semi-automatics taken off the market.

A Mountie spokesman, Sgt. Harold Pfleiderer, would not say whether the RCMP is pressing the new Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to act on the issue. "The RCMP does not comment on the advice it provides to the minister," he said in an email.

A spokesman for Goodale reiterated the Liberal government's commitment to get "assault weapons off our streets," but said consultations are needed first.

'We will work ... to move forward on this commitment.'
–Spokesman for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale
"We will work with all levels of government, our stakeholders and the Canadian Firearms Advisory Committee to move forward on this commitment," said Scott Bardsley.

Among the Liberals' election commitments is to broaden membership of the firearms committee to include representatives of women's groups and public-health advocates. Critics have said the committee is stacked with gun proponents.

The RCMP lab tested 11 models of rifles and one pistol, including the weapon used by Marc Lepine in the 1989 Montreal massacre and the semi-automatic used by Justin Bourque in the 2014 Mountie shootings in Moncton, N.B.

The testing was prompted by Bourque's statement to police that he had considered using an improvised technique to turn his rifle into an automatic weapon.

The report says more than 1,200 test shots were fired between July and November 2014, using a technique that is "widely reported on the internet complete with installation and fitting instructions." The name of the technique is blacked out in the documents, but has been known in gun circles for decades, and information about at least one other technique also circulates.

New firearms on market

The Criminal Code regulations in the 1990s effectively protected against any upgrades "by taking the firearms most practical for conversion to full automatic fire off the civilian market," says the document, authored by Murray A. Smith, manager with the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program.

"Thus, the public safety risk posed by improvised conversion techniques was largely negated and rendered moot, and not requiring much police attention."

But the proliferation of new firearms since 2005 has increased the risk to the public, augmented by the availability of new magazines.

Ralph Goodale
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale will be reviewing Canada's gun legislation to restore decision-making about restricted weapons to the RCMP rather than leaving it to cabinet. (CBC)

"Large capacity magazines are widely available for the military and paramilitary firearms, and although limited in capacity by law and generally reduced to five shots by a pin or similar modification, the original capacity is typically readily restorable."

"The materials required for improvised full automatic fire are ordinary everyday products."

Upgrading any weapon to fully automatic status is clearly prohibited by Section 102(1) of the Criminal Code, with prison terms of up to 10 years. But Smith's report raises questions about the current effectiveness of 20-year-old Criminal Code regulations as they apply to newer weapons shown in lab tests to be "amenable to the improvised full automatic fire technique."

Who is trolling who, post # one is the winner.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So, I almost threw up in my coffee this morning. CBC reports that the RCMP is moving agressively under the Criminal Code to ban semi-automatic firearms. They said that they requested the update to the criminal code under the Conservatives they were ignored but the Liberals have confirmed they will go ahead with the update immediately "while undergoing consultations" which means they will arrange to have at least some, (probably all) semi-automatic rifle owners turn in their rifles in or be found in contravention of the criminal code.

I dont think anyone on here will be surprised by this move. next they will probably go after hunting and fishing rights.

The number of military-style firearms that can be temporarily jury-rigged to become automatic weapons has increased "dramatically" in Canada over the last decade — and so has the public-safety risk.

That's the stark conclusion of an internal RCMP laboratory report on improvised methods for upgrading semi-automatic weapons, and for illegally altering magazine clips to allow for rapid continuous fire.

The lab report notes that Criminal Code regulations designed to thwart makeshift upgrades may not apply to newer generations of weapons, creating a legal void.

"The restricted and prohibited firearm provisions of Criminal Code regulations were last updated in 1995, and there are presently numerous models of military and paramilitary firearms on the Canadian market which are outside the scope of the Criminal Code regulations, many being non-restricted in classification," says the 15-page report.

"The Canadian introduction of new types of military and paramilitary firearms not mentioned in the Criminal Code regulations, nearly all with large capacity magazines sizes, started circa 2005 and has accelerated since."

"The public safety threat posed by improvised conversion to full automatic fire has correspondingly increased."

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson alerted then public safety minister Steven Blaney last year to potential legislative gaps in Criminal Code gun provisions. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

A heavily censored version of the internal report, dated November 2014, was obtained by CBC News under the Access to Information Act.

CBC News has previously reported on the RCMP's concerns about improvised assault-weapon upgrades, an issue raised by RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson directly with then public safety minister Steven Blaney last year. But the detailed Mountie lab work documenting the issue was released only in the last week.

Last summer, Blaney rejected legislative changes to close any regulatory gap, saying the current law was sufficient. The Conservative government also passed Bill C-42 giving cabinet — not the RCMP — the final say about which weapons to restrict or ban, after the Mounties were slapped down for trying to get a popular semi-automatic withdrawn from Canada.

But the new Liberal government has promised to "put decision-making about weapons restrictions back into the hands of police, not politicians," raising the possibility the RCMP may yet be able to get some semi-automatics taken off the market.

A Mountie spokesman, Sgt. Harold Pfleiderer, would not say whether the RCMP is pressing the new Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to act on the issue. "The RCMP does not comment on the advice it provides to the minister," he said in an email.

A spokesman for Goodale reiterated the Liberal government's commitment to get "assault weapons off our streets," but said consultations are needed first.

"We will work with all levels of government, our stakeholders and the Canadian Firearms Advisory Committee to move forward on this commitment," said Scott Bardsley.

Among the Liberals' election commitments is to broaden membership of the firearms committee to include representatives of women's groups and public-health advocates. Critics have said the committee is stacked with gun proponents.

The RCMP lab tested 11 models of rifles and one pistol, including the weapon used by Marc Lepine in the 1989 Montreal massacre and the semi-automatic used by Justin Bourque in the 2014 Mountie shootings in Moncton, N.B.

The testing was prompted by Bourque's statement to police that he had considered using an improvised technique to turn his rifle into an automatic weapon.

The report says more than 1,200 test shots were fired between July and November 2014, using a technique that is "widely reported on the internet complete with installation and fitting instructions." The name of the technique is blacked out in the documents, but has been known in gun circles for decades, and information about at least one other technique also circulates.

New firearms on market

The Criminal Code regulations in the 1990s effectively protected against any upgrades "by taking the firearms most practical for conversion to full automatic fire off the civilian market," says the document, authored by Murray A. Smith, manager with the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program.

"Thus, the public safety risk posed by improvised conversion techniques was largely negated and rendered moot, and not requiring much police attention."

But the proliferation of new firearms since 2005 has increased the risk to the public, augmented by the availability of new magazines.

Ralph Goodale
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale will be reviewing Canada's gun legislation to restore decision-making about restricted weapons to the RCMP rather than leaving it to cabinet. (CBC)

"Large capacity magazines are widely available for the military and paramilitary firearms, and although limited in capacity by law and generally reduced to five shots by a pin or similar modification, the original capacity is typically readily restorable."

"The materials required for improvised full automatic fire are ordinary everyday products."

Upgrading any weapon to fully automatic status is clearly prohibited by Section 102(1) of the Criminal Code, with prison terms of up to 10 years. But Smith's report raises questions about the current effectiveness of 20-year-old Criminal Code regulations as they apply to newer weapons shown in lab tests to be "amenable to the improvised full automatic fire technique."
Here's a good speech

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...12949822332469
Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM

Am I reading this correctly that this is old news from 2014?

Quote:

Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Am I reading this correctly that this is old news from 2014?
No, the article it stems from is Jan 15, 2016
Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

New firearms on market

Ralph Goodale

I troll.

This thread serves no purpose, the first post was the bait, and we all have contributed to a fairly good discussion.

I know I am not the problem, but what I participate in is an easy target.

And I will never be the advocate because I like camp fires.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 PM

This video is most pertinent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOCBTfGCPrk
Old 01-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

Default fire

No easy answer, I know several individuals who are intelligent, and they also question the agenda.